[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I know I'm rather late to the party, but I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /u/ - Yuri

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4
File: Hibike Euphonium.jpg (88 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Hibike Euphonium.jpg
88 KB, 1920x1080
So I know I'm rather late to the party, but I don't really watch these kinds of shows, yet I finally broke cause screens looked gorgeous (mmm... that digital processing). But I've got one question? Why didn't these two mash muffs? I mean there was such obvious chemistry between them, that anyone who thinks otherwise must be the enemy of humanity, peace and love itsellf.
>>
It's all subtext, also the guy or the so-called love interest got cucked pretty hard.
>>
Are you here to start shit? Because I feel you're here to start shit. Season 2 tho
>>
>if i make the exact same thread on two boards, i'll get twice as many replies! please pay attention to me!!!
>>>/a/135067510
>>
>>1941572
Not really, I actually don't go on here that much. I wrote this on /a/ before and didn't get much response. So I went here hoping there'd be more people that would understand me I guess. ;_;
>>
Maybe KyoAni decides to save humanity with season two.
>>
>>1941560
Hibike Euphonium is a piece of shit and boring
>>
>>1941577
I'm sorry anon, there was actual chemistry but it's a pile of disappointment because the author says no.
>>
>>1941587
>5. There is a group of insane posters who insist beyond all reasons that Kumikek/Reina is 100% explicitly canon.

Never understood these people, but these ones >>1941588 are even worst. You can't deny the chemistry between Kumiko and Reina, regardless of what Takeda wanted to portray.
>>
>>1941587
>There is a group of insane posters who insist beyond all reasons that Kumikek/Reina is 100% explicitly canon.
No there isn't.

>>1941588
Good thing she isn't in charge of the adaptation then.
>>
>>1941560
I will only say this: The Studio has written itself into a corner with this adaption. It has to have a yuri end.
That doesn't mean it will, but they left out so much of the het stuff that staying true to the source only that much would make no sense and wouldn't even be enough to please the people who do want it.
>>
>>1941600
At least we'll have more speculation fuel once the OVA is subbed. It rather looks like Shuuichi is warming up to Hazuki, which would be good for us.
>>
If shit like Game of Thrones can play so loose with the original's canon I don't see why this shouldn't.
>>
>>1941655
This would be a considerably bigger deviation from canon than what Game of Thrones has done so far.

It'd be like Robb Stark marrying another guy instead of just a woman with a different name and from a different place than the one mentioned in the books.
>>
>>1941600
They have all of next season to establish a het end if they want to. If this season was enough to make a yuri end a possibility, then another season is more than enough to undermine it.
>>
>>1941596
>Good thing she isn't in charge of the adaptation then.
But Igarashi and Yamada are, and they already said they meant to portray a deep friendship, not romance.
>>
>>1941603
>At least we'll have more speculation fuel once the OVA is subbed.
You won't like the OVA. Hazuki was shipping Shuuichi and Kumiko the whole time. At one point she outright tells Shuuichi "Kumiko's waiting for you."
>>
>>1941668
It really wouldn't. The romance is not an important or central aspect of the story.
>>
>>1941686
I agree with you, but they won't change the "romance." What they will probably do is strip it form the story, as they did in season 1, and just keep the teasing, because that "teasing" is how they see a "deep friendship" between women even if it sounds retarded.
>>
>>1941680
Hazuki's firmly rooting for that side, but the OVA as a whole is raising its flags in both camps, if you ask me.

That being said, I don't even care anymore. Overall, the OVA was a pretty darn great episode.
>>
>>1941680
I think the "shipping" was more a device to show how Kato has grown over the series. Yes, she's shipping ShuKumi, but the fact that she's being genuinely supportive despite her botched attempt at confession is more important than who's shipping.

Hazuki's failed at both love and music, and that's shot her confidence level. In the OVA, with Sapphire and Natsuki's support, she overcomes that and decides that despite the failure, she'll do the same thing if given the chance to go back. Just like her admittance to Natsuki that she'd pick the concert band again if given another chance, "shipping" is a way to show that Hazuki's grown into someone who's content with her decisions so far and will do everything to leave no regrets regardless of her circumstances.

Before this character development, I think Hazuki would've been salty if the planets were to align and Kumiko and Reina were to get together instead of Kumiko and Shu. But now, Hazuki would be a sis and supportive.
>>
>>1941769
While I appreciate seeing your thought out post, I kind of disagree with a lot of it.

>I think the "shipping" was more a device to show how Kato has grown over the series.
I don't think that Hazuki pushing Kumiko and Shuu together is a sign of how she's grown, as she's been doing it since episode 9. If anything, it shows that she's a good person. Or that she chooses somewhat painful ways to deal with her feelings. Or something. Whatever it is, I doubt it's character growth.

>Before this character development, I think Hazuki would've been salty
I have no idea why you would think that. Again, because I think you and I are looking at different signs of developments, but also because I don't think that's the kind of person Hazuki is. If anything, we did see her be somewhat salty about the whole thing, but only to the extent of saltiness that Hazuki would get (that is, her being nosy with Midori, and conveniently noticing Kumiko and Shuu playing together). And especially in the case of the latter, it doesn't smell of her being jealous as much as it does of her being hurt.
>>
>>1941600
>The Studio has written itself into a corner with this adaption

I don't think so, they had no problem with Tamako Love Story at all.
>>
>>1941795
Well Tamako Market don't have so much yuri subtext
>>
>>1941676
Direct quote please.
>>
>>1941585
Yeah. I watched like 5 episodes of it, but the story wasn't going anywhere.
>>
>>1941824
>>1941676

Not sure if you wanted a direct quote in Japanese, but here's a translation of the discussion between the director, the series director and the author where that friendship notion came up.

https://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2015/09/27/sound-euphonium-roundtable-director-tatsuya-ishihara-series-director-naoko-yamada-author-ayano-takeda/

Scroll down to "Wanting to depict fellowship greater than love" section. Here fellowship = 友情 and romance = 恋愛 in the original text.

They don't explicitly rule out friendship growing into romance. Arguably, Kumiko and Reina start out as friends who truly understand each other and may become more.

Anyway, there's another interesting interview with Hanada (scriptwriter for Hibike) in Anime Style 007. In ep 4 script, Reina responds to Kumiko's comment about Dvorak.

R "...I'm happy."
K "...Really!?"

Reina looks at Kumiko,

R "......Why are you checking?"

Kumiko at a loss for words

K "...Ah...Sorry."
>>
>>1941857
I know that interview. I also know that the person who talks about wanting to depict a fellowship greater than love is Takeda, not Ishihara or Yamada.
>>
>>1941787
OVA changed a lot of my opinions about Hazuki. I thought of Hazuki's character along your lines before watching the OVA. There's a drastic difference between how Hazuki said she will support ShuKumi right after she got dumped and in the beginning of the OVA, and how Hazuki told Shu Kumiko is waiting for him towards the end of the OVA.

And about the salt, I didn't mean Mean Girls level of visible salt. I meant it more as Hazuki feeling cheated by Kumiko and life in general. I suppose I picked too strong of a word because 4chan.

Anyway, differences in interpretation aside, I'm glad Hazuki got some direct, visible character development with the OVA. Raising Shu Hazuki flags was an unexpected bonus.
>>
>>1941867
You make a valid point.

It looks like both the director and the series director used Takeda's viewpoint though. The original writer is never completely out of the loop for adaptations. I doubt the publisher signed away the original writer's power to reject the episode scripts, but then I don't know Takarajimasha well enough to say that with confidence.
>>
Kek. New Hibike containment thread.
>>
>>1941877
>spoiler
I'm always touched when someone says that to me on 4chan. Thanks, Anon.

As for Ishihara and Yamada, it's not like they would openly contradict her. Assuming they want to do a yuri end, surely they wouldn't announce it in an interview when it's still unclear in the anime. See also Bryan Fuller, who spent three years telling interviewers how the relationship between Will and Hannibal was totally no homo, when in fact it was absolutely homo.
>>
I wonder why they had found the need to put the red string of fate thing in the ED. They really took the yuribaiting to a whole new level. Fuck them.
>>
>>1942070
You won't know if it's bait until the show is over.
>>
>>1941934
>Assuming they want to do a yuri end
You shouldn't assume that, because that way your interpretation is biased in that direction. If you just read what they say, it's clear they're all working the same concept.
>>
>>1942079
And it's not over yet.
>>
>>1942084
>If you just read what they say, it's clear they're all working the same concept.
You simply can't take what artists say in interviews at face value. They lie all the time to avoid spoiling future events. Even aside from that, Yamada brings up the idea of Kumiko and Reina's relationship as sensual and Ishihara changes the topic after Yamada talks about Kumiko and Reina's relationship as platonic.
>>
>>1942079
Some people really want to die with the ship, I see.

>>1941600
Oh wow, you actually believe this. Oh sweet summer child.
>>
>>1942108
If it's not dead yet there's hope to believe anything.
>>
>>1942108
What do you get out of coming on yuri boards to declare there's no way a yuri ship will happen? Everyone realizes it's a possibility. You aren't blowing anyone's mind here.
>>
>>1942115

I lost the hope too
Kyoani just ruined this like they ruined haruhi, if they keep the subtext in a k'on level for example I would ship them too, but there is no F*cking way that the OP image could be subtext, they cant come now and say, "hey, you misunderstand it, they are just good friends"

kumiko and reina are just hetfags and they are dead for me
>>
>>1942128
Ignore the threads if it they make you feel so bad. I can't understand coming to a topic that makes you that upset.
>>
>>1941585
I think the same as you
>>
>>1942070
This always bothered me too. I feel lied to.
>>
I don't give a shit about the manga or what the author thinks. I look at specific source material, and the anime can easily be interpreted as yuri subtext. This may or may not hold for season 2, but there is no season 2 currently so that has no bearing on the current situation.
>>
File: BELIEVE.jpg (157 KB, 1481x720) Image search: [Google]
BELIEVE.jpg
157 KB, 1481x720
>>1941570
>Subtext
Well, that's one way of name it.
>>
>>1942723
>the anime can easily be interpreted as yuri subtext
I don't think it can be interpreted as anything else, actually.
>>
>>1942734
We have to admit that here are so many yuri subtext which can't be ignored.
If Kyoto had planned put Kumiko/Reina in "het" way, when I don't know why whey give us so many yuri hints
>>
>>1941588
Then author is retarded for sure
>>
>>1941560
>Author got tired of all the stories where love is more important than friendship
>Writes a story where friendship is more important than love
>Studio that adapts it wants to maximize profit
>They amp up the yuri since they know that as long as there is no romantic resolution people will be more inclined to buy it
Not really that hard to understand.
>>
>>1942845
>>Author got tired of all the stories where love is more important than friendship

She's retarded.
>>
>>1942902
Hetlove
>>
She meant romance as a whole, that woman has this stupid idea that friendship is somehow more important than love. Well, it isn't, anywhere. That's why there are "romance novels" and not "friendship" ones. Now, I still subscribe to the theory that she's just a deep-buried-in-the-closet lesbian, and that she really means "lesbian love" when she talks about "friendship between girls."
>>
>>1943077
>that woman has this stupid idea that friendship is somehow more important than love. Well, it isn't, anywhere
How many people do you know who are single?
How many people do you know who don't have a single friend?

I think you've been reading romance manga a bit too much, imouto. Friendship is absolutely more important than love for the majority of people in the world, even if they might take it for granted.

Friendship novels do exist. And friendship is frequently protrayed as much more important in media than love. And this is true throughout history.

It isn't love that helps Beowulf slay the dragon, but the camaraderie of one of his men, who will not abandon him. It isn't Arwen's love for Aragorn that stops Sauron, but Sam and Frodo's friendship, and the friendship of the fellowship. Where would Andy Dufresne be without the friendship of Red? He certainly wouldn't have escaped prison for a start. Most stories that aren't explicitly "romance" feature friendship as more important.

There's a reason most people have friends for decades and romantic relationships for a few years. The same reason no one bats an eye when you say you've been friends with someone since childhood, but people think a 20 or 30 year anniversary is an amazing accomplishment.
>>
>>1942079
Of course nothing is set in stone but i don't want to hope too much because i'm getting a vibe that it won't be yuri and yet they put that red string shit on the ED. Also the source material isn't yuri. I'm not against het or anything but if they're going that route they shouldn't have put that shit in there.
>>
>>1943109
Love binds friends though.
>>
>>1943130
Totally agree. They just gave us false hope with all this yuri subtext. And what now? What are they gonna say? "Lol guys! You are mistaken. This girls totally het!" ?
Isn't that stupid? They will make so many fans pissed off.
>>
>>1943109
Your argument will make more sense is Hibike don't had canon lesbian, but Hibike had canon lesbian and is Yuko
More simple argument is that the author was unfair and make yuri not equality to het
>>
>>1943109
It isn't. No one would ditch a romantic partner for their friends, but those same people would abandon their friends for their lover in a heartbeat. I know that is cheating, but I'm talking about priorities here.

Camaraderie is a thing between men, onee-sama. That's why all your examples of "friendship" are about men. (The LOTR's one is specially annoying because Arwen and Aragon's "love" is just a "foot note" on the books.)The thing is, romance novels are a genre in itself. Novels with the sole purpose of selling you a love story. The stories you picked aren't about friendship, they use friendship as a flavor. It's like saying that Babylon 5 is a love story because of Commander Sheridan and Delenn's relationship.
>>
>>1943175
Don't get mad about it until it happens.
>>
I genuinely feel bad for people who believe that kumirei will be an actual thing
>>
>>1943246
There are people who actually believe this? I mean, I like the pairing, but I'm not delusional enough to believe that KyoAni would change that.
>>
>>1943249
yeah lol there are. I like the pairing myself ,like come one who doesn't, but to actually believe it'll amount to anything substantial....that's depressing.
>>
>>1943255

It was worse during the airing. Those people would constantly accuse any nonbelievers as being trolls from /a/, and after Shoe and Kumiko kind had a boring friendship ending, those people once again jumped out and constantly bragged about how "we won".

It was not a fun time.
>>
>>1943258
Remember when the 'believers' literally started crying and calling kyoani/japan out on its homophobia when reina confessed her thirst for taki? Cause i do
>>
You know what, I'm going to start hiding Hibike threads on sight from now on. I like the show, but I'm sick of the endless stream of people who think constant bitching makes them wise yuri masters.
>>
and remember when /a/ tried to stir up shit by nonstop shitposting about hibikek.

Oh wait
>>
>>1943268

Honestly, a bit of drama is good for discussion. It pushes the pace along and gets everyone participating.

What happened with Hibiki! threads was just way overboard and there were too many people with the "us vs. them" mentality.
>>
>>1943282
Yeah that's true.
At least there's one thing everyone can agree to that the chemistry between reina and kumiko is the epitome of lost potential
>>
Kids who always cry because of "evil yurifags" - even more annoying than yurifags themselves.
>>
>>1943299

You're the only one using that term.
>>
>>1943131
If you want to argue about semantics sure. Doesn't change that it's about friendship and not romantic love.

>>1943243
You have a warped perspective of normal relationships. Most people will break up with a love interest/partner if they and their longterm friends do not get along at all. Hence why it is generally considered a bad move to choose romance over friends if the two don't get along.

Camaraderie is a thing between comrades, imouto. It is just as true for Charlie's Angels, the girls of Strike Witches, and Sailor scouts as it is for any group of male friends. The stories aren't "about friendship" because friendship is universally accepted as one of the most important things in life, which is why romance is non romance-focused stories is shoved aside to that "footnote" status. Because it isn't vital or all that important, it's icing on the cake, fluff.

You can make im@s without romance, but could you do it without friendship? Love may drive Homura, but she and the world were saved by the friendship of the quintet, not love, which only serves to drive her into despair and then beyond it. Romantic love isn't what saves Ilya, or Matoi Ryuuko, it's friendship.

I'm sorry, but in the vast majority of media, and for most people, friendship is more important. And just because there isn't a genre called "friendship" doesn't mean there aren't stories primarily about it. What do you think Black Rock Shooter is about? Or Punch Line? Prisma Ilya, Ga-rei: Zero, Little Witch Academia (Parade especially)?
>>
>>1943077
>that woman has this stupid idea that friendship is somehow more important than love.
For some people it is. For some people it isn't. I'd wager that a massive amount of people treat their longterm romantic partners about the same as their best friends.

However, it's true that romantic relationship are more frequently portrayed in fiction that friendship. And that's why the author's desire to write a story that focuses more on the latter is completely understandable. Don't quite see why it bothers you so much.

>inb4 yuribait
KyoAni are responsible for the amount of yuribaiting in the show; the source material is tamer in this regard.
>>
I let my sister watch Mountain scene. She outright stated it's normal for girls to do that, and it's not lesbian at all.

Still, yuri dominated Euphonium fandom, so it's still net benefit imo. Maybe only on West, of course. But it's sufficient.
>>
>>1943522
Your sister might be gay.
>>
>>1943522
yeah your average gal pals go on totally platonic mountain friend dates and play a love song duet after one of them touches the other's lips

pretty normal
>>
>>1943522
>>1943522

Did you tell her they weren't really friends before that scene and their only interaction is in one club ?
>>
>>1943522
>Maybe only on West

Have you seen Pixiv?
>>
>>1941708
>both camps
You mean Hazuki and Shuu?

Anyhow, I was prepared to sink with the yuri ship during season one, but I don't think my heart is strong enough to do that in season two. I will seriously die if they decide to animate a man-crazy Reina.
>>
>>1943684
OVA subs are here to remind you even more the yuri ship is sinking.
>>
>>1943736
OVA reminded me what a boring character Hazuki is.
>>
File: hazuki.jpg (270 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
hazuki.jpg
270 KB, 1280x720
>>1943744
She is super cute though.
>>
>>1943522
Who cares what your sister thinks? Why do you even bother to ask her? Anime isn't real life, but fantasy entertainment. As thus, and luckily for us, because of that, anime and it's characters gives zero fucks about your sister's or anyone's "real life" thoughts.

Anime female chicks will just do what they want with anime other female chicks. People are then free to debate (in general), whether their "hand-holding", "lip-touching", "kissing", "breasts-rubbing" and "pussy-rubbing" are some form of friendship or otherwise.
>>
I don't touch my friends lip. Heck I don't even hold her hands.
>>
>>1943736
What I find amusing is how the only character that thinks that Kumiko has a thing for Shuichi is Hazuki. In the anime she doesn't have any basis to believe this (the novel does have hits in the form of Kumiko being a shitty tsundere) but she does it anyway.
>>
File: 1429914156045.jpg (22 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
1429914156045.jpg
22 KB, 306x306
>>1943522
>HEY GAIZ I ASKED MY SISTER
Well thank God we finally can hear the opinion of a female on this matter. Because they're so fucking rare, especially in this subculture and on this board. Give yourself a pat on the back, Anon. A pat on your fucking back.
>>
>>1943522
>I let my sister watch Mountain scene. She outright stated it's normal for girls to do that, and it's not lesbian at all.
Your sister is gay
>>
>>1943869
And in denial.
>>
>>1943840
> Hazuki: "Hey Kumiko, Wiener boy dumbed me but you are totslly in love with him right?"
> Kumiko: "No, fuck off"
> Hazuki: "Okay. I ship you two as hard as I can!"

There was no sign of affection coming from Kumiko. The anime really did a lousy job there.
>>
>>1943522
And clearly, your sister is the first female person on the planet that has been asked about Euphonium.

Nobody has done this before, and many anons in this thread are definitely not female.

Well, I guess I gotta use that new penis for something.
>>
>>1943745
She's not a mean gal. But her way of pushing her own 'interpretations' to others and thinking she is the know-it-all, is annoying.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.