[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> It's [something] meets [some other thing]! Is this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: grazer.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
grazer.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
> It's [something] meets [some other thing]!

Is this really a legit pitch formula? I need to know by monday
>>
Whatever your movie is about just say the protagonist best friend is a talking pie
>>
>>72089982
Yep, producers prefer to invest (read: bet) on safe, so comparing your movie idea to something previously successful is something common.

>it's ghostbusters meets bridesmaids
>>
>it's like those two very successful movies

vs

>it's super original idea never tried before pls invest 100 million
>>
Speed was pitched as Die Hard on a bus
>>
>>72089982
have you ever heard the term "high concept"? that's exactly what it means and it's incredibly common to pitch things that way.
>>
File: interstellar.jpg (430 KB, 1000x1482) Image search: [Google]
interstellar.jpg
430 KB, 1000x1482
>>72089982
>it's 2001 meets literal shit!
>>
>Its a remake of [something] but main character is now [black/woman/gay/Idris Elba]
Got yourself a deal fampaio
>>
>>72090291
Our greatest what?
>>
>>72089982
Goodfellas meets The Notebook. An aging mobster with alzheimer's (Robert Deniro) spends time in the nursing home reminiscing with his old protege (Michael Imperioli). He is really sent there to kill him in case he starts blabbing about important shit. About 2/3 of the way through he realizes that the guy remembers everything and that they are both getting screwed by the boss.

It will be called "Forget About It."
>>
I really enjoyed watching The Producer.

Welp, just googled it and looks like another timeline shift. It's called The Player now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105151/
>>
>>72089982
Alien was pitched as JAWS in space
>>
>>72089982

It works roughly half the time. It definitely depends on the person you're pitching, and what movies they know. The general takeaway is to generally avoid resorting to X meets Y because you're thinking about particular elements of X and Y that the recipient isn't. One may refer to Rocky because he's thinking about the hero's journey to greatness or something, but the other guy just thinks boxing.

Basically, elaborate on why it's like a combination of two different things. It's often not as self-explanatory as you'd think it is, and don't make it the main element of your pitch. Maybe close with it since the analogy would make more sense after the information preceding it.
>>
File: Tim+Robbins+in+The+Player.jpg (95 KB, 852x476) Image search: [Google]
Tim+Robbins+in+The+Player.jpg
95 KB, 852x476
there was a lot of that in the player.
>so it's a psychic, political,
thriller comedy with a heart.
>not unlike ghost
meets manchurian candidate.

could be something to catch a producer's attention at least.
>>
>>72090085
sounds like a sure fire hit, let's make it!
>>
>>72090417
I'd watch it
>>
>>72089982
My sister works for a tv production company. She was told by her boss when prepping a pitch for Fox the only things they would look at is [Hit TV series]+[Very slight change to premise] and that anything she wrote had to be at a 1st grade reading level.

>>72090417
If that's a comedy I'm there on opening day.
>>
>>72090145
I thought it was pitched as Speed 2 except with a bus instead of a boat.
>>
>>72090390
Next step
>>
>>72090360
So Idris Elba is beyond black?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.