[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Hollywood literally dumbed down Frankenstein, making the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: mary shelley's frankenstein.jpg (21 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
mary shelley's frankenstein.jpg
21 KB, 308x475
>Hollywood literally dumbed down Frankenstein, making the monster mentally retarded instead of the intelligent, articulate creature he was in the book
>becomes the iconic version of Frankenstein
>someone tries to make an accurate adaptation of the novel
>it turned out to be shit

Why?
>>
File: javier-bardem-pic-ap-675784209.jpg (26 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
javier-bardem-pic-ap-675784209.jpg
26 KB, 615x409
how do you feel about Javier Bardem playing him?

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/javier-bardem-frankenstein-universal-monster-universe-1201799612/
>>
Because people like the idea of a dumb brutish monster more than they like the idea of an erudite and spiteful monster. It's easier to process and easier to watch.

What I really want to know is why is Victor always thought of as some older mad genius type instead of a little butthurt faggot.
>>
Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein when she was like 17.

Jesus christ I feel so inadequate. Why did I waste my childhood on videogames and internet forums?
>>
>>72038629
The smart monster leads to very different types of themes and much more intellectual plotlines. Handling it properly requires a deft touch, and won't be appreciated by most people. Dumb scary monster wins out.
>>
The 1931 Frankenstein was an adaption of a play. Blame Broadway not Hollywood.
>>
>>72038715
She might have spent her teen years on /b/ as well if she was alive today. There wasn't a lot else to do in the 1800's.
>>
>>72038715
I'm just glad she one-upped that insufferable faggot Byron.
>>
>>72038715
Hey man those things were pretty good back then
>>
>>72038629
>monster watches a family from a far for a few weeks
>somehow masters language on a highschool level

Worst part of the book.

>tfw you will never be John Polidori and split roast Mary Shelly with Lord Byron while Percy faps in the corner
>>
>>72038715
She knew what she wanted and went for it? What do you want anon? Do you want to write a book? Make a movie? What's stopping you? and I mean this, what is it? I want to know.
>>
Yeah, except Whale's impressionistic masterpiece is better than the 10th grade book report-tier novel.
>>
>>72039098
im too ashamed of myself to give this an honest reply, i only write this so you can at least know that I read your post
>>
>>72038629
i really like the bolts through Frankenstein's neck

Frankenstein is my favorite monster

him and maybe a Dracula or two
>>
Penny Dreadful had an intelligent and cultured Monster.
>>
>>72039098
not the op but in the same boat. i dont know why i cant just write. When I was a kid, I'd read and write all the time just for fun. Teachers always praised whatever I turned into their classes, saying they were going to use it as an example of how to write an essay or that they always saved my essays for last because they knew they'd enjoy it. Then, 7th grade rolled in, and I got into video games. I stopped reading, save for school and internet messageboards, and I stopped writing. In high school, teachers always began by dislking my writing because I was out of practice, summer meant I hadn't written or read anything for three months. But by the end of the year, teachers usually loved me and my work. One year a teacher told me I could really pursue writing for a profession and I should enter some sort of program over the summer or at least write on my own. Because I think he saw a distinct voice with talent that could create some great work, but it needed to be refined. This year was the first an English teacher didn't see any sort of "gift" (or whatever) in me, and i feel so hopeless. They said I was a good writer, but it read like a pretty generic compliment that a teacher has to give to every student so parents don't complain. That failure and college looming before me made me want to jumpstart into action. I resolved to dedicate my summer to reading and writing, maybe get a part-time job on the side and enter a writing workshop. 5 weeks into summer, and ive read 70 pages and written nothing.

sorry for blogging im just so sad and empty all the time and i dont know what im doing with my life. i like writing and reading i really do, i enjoy it when im in the process, but i cant bring myself to do it. i dont know what it is. some sorta feeling of inadequacy that the spark i once had is gone now. that my talent was mere precociousness and everyone else has caught up to me. i feel like i cant think or write or create anymore
>>
why the heck did hollywood do this
>>
Its interesting that in films/pop culture Frankenstein is `Dr' Frankenstein. He's a student, not a doctor. Odd he gets an upgrade whilst his monster becomes a retard.
>>
>>72040703
Maybe try doing whatever you like doing when you do regular work, and do that when you read/write. Like if you've conditioned yourself to focus and study while listening to music, then listen to music when you read.
>>
>>72040703
your problem is that you can't get over yourself
>>
>>72042259
>create artificial life out of dead tissue

I feel like that should be enough to get a doctorate
>>
>>72038841
Well, Byron probably one-upped her, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>72042550
>runs off and abandons his work
real good lab skills there
>>
>making a movie about a love letter to architecture
>>
if you're talking about Brannagh's adaptation, it only failed where it deviated and in its weird antiquated sense of camp. The faithful points hold up very well.
>>
>>72040703
You sound like an insufferable faggot. Shut the fuck up about your fee fees and just DO IT
>>
>>72042748
I would go so far as to say some parts were better than the book.
>>
Honestly, Frankenstein is a story best told through literature, not film. The imagery isn't as important as the dialogue. I bet most people would complain that it's "too talky" or "not enough women"
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.