[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are martial arts films going to die when Donnie Yen retires?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: donnie_yen6fbe01da9ffef9e1abeb.jpg (18 KB, 470x352) Image search: [Google]
donnie_yen6fbe01da9ffef9e1abeb.jpg
18 KB, 470x352
Are martial arts films going to die when Donnie Yen retires? There aren't many good younger people who can play those roles. Tony Jaa is good for what he is but he just does Muay Thai. Jeeja Yanin is pretty good too, but she's only one person. The two of them can't carry the genre. Donnie has a lot of range when it comes to styles of fight scenes. About the only thing I haven't seen him do is Jackie Chan style action-comedy. He seems like the last great.

I love martial arts movies and I really hope we aren't nearing the end.
>>
>>72032543
Donnie Yen sucks.
>>
His character dies in Rogue One
>>
>>72032603
Name a better currently working martial arts film star.
>>72032608
I don't know if that's true or not, and why do I care? I'm just excited to see him in some fight scenes.
>>
There's a lot of talent out there, people just don't like kung fu movies anymore, everything has to be some dull mma choreography.
Scott Adkins is fucking great, I hope he lands on a theatrical role some day.
>>
>>72032650
>some dull mma choreography

Here's Donnie doing exciting MMA choreography.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smLAFCVNpwA
>>
MMA killed martial arts movies, suddenly everyone became an "expert."
>>
>>72032687
see
>>72032663

There can be good mma-based fight scenes too. Though I would hate for that to be the only kind of martial arts movie available.
>>
>>72032663
Yeah I saw that scene, but the thing is it's just disgised as a MMA fight, at its core it's still the same shit donnie yen, jet li and jackie chan are known for, sadly it doesn't have a mass appeal anymore.
Most A listers can't fight so we are stuck with shit like Avengers and Fast and Furious.

What do you think of this style? It's a good mixture of acrobatics, mma and traditional shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbI_04n3lLU
>>
File: Hawkins.jpg (18 KB, 449x290) Image search: [Google]
Hawkins.jpg
18 KB, 449x290
OP has never heard of Iko Uwais.

Look at him. Look at him and laugh.
>>
>>72032543
There is a The Raid 3 coming, pretty hyped for that.
>>72033080 what this anon says, Iko Uwais is a great martial arts actor and I think Tony Jaa is still doing movies.
>>
>>72032626
It's true. The other chinaman accidentally spoiled it during the Rogue One panel today
>>
>>72032985
I mean, I posted about it on an MMA forum and people liked it. I don't think they mind it being amped up so much as they're stuck on this "kung fu doesn't work so it sucks in movies too" thing that's so popular among MMA fans.
>>72033080
>>72033134
Thanks for letting me know about him. Also, I mentioned Tony Jaa in the OP.
>>72033142
I still don't really care.
>>
>>72033080
I don't know men, presence is everything and Donnie has good looks. Iko is ugly, but not strange-ugly, alien-ugly, mysterious-ugly, androgynous-ugly nor odd-ugly.
He is plain average-ugly.
>>
There's still that welsh guy making movies in Indonesia.
>>
the guy who plays Rama in the Raid is pretty good, doesn't seem to star in much though
>>
Aren't martial arts movies pretty much dead? Can't think of any recent one besides The Raid and a Korean flick (forgot the name, the one with the brutal knife fight at the end)
>>
Martial arts films died when Hong Kong was handed back to the PRC
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.