[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It would have been pretty garbage honestly. I really like The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: dune-headline_0.jpg (144 KB, 1199x717) Image search: [Google]
dune-headline_0.jpg
144 KB, 1199x717
It would have been pretty garbage honestly. I really like The Holy Mountain but that is purely Jodorowsky's vision. Inspired by things that exist, paintings, tarot, whatever; but made with new intent. Taking the characters of Dune and just twisting them entirely into something else with absolutely no intent to tell the story is ridiculous. In fact, the movie paints Paul as a hero of the universe when the entire point of the story is that you shouldn't always believe in singular heroes.

Having it be a 12 or 20 hour movie is insane. Paying Dali 500k for a 5 minute role is insane. The fact that Refn explicitly states that the reason Dune was turned down was because "people were afraid of being enlightened" is insane.
>>
>>72006973
VE WILL SJANGE THU WORL!
>>
The ideas for the Harkonnen were pretty creative if anything.

Would have loved seeing the mobile palace throwing out shit and blood and its sentient murder-spear machines randomly killing visitors.
>>
El Topo is Jodorowsky's best

holy mountain is overrated
>>
>>72006973
I disagree, it would have been one of the greatest films of all history, but it was doomed to fail.
>>
>>72006973
Why can't he still make it? He could if he wanted to.
>>
I agree. I'm all for loose adaptations of source material (it triggers me so hard when people complain about single scenes that aren't 100% identical to the book) but this was just so out there. He should have made his own sci-fi movie, it would have been an interesting watch but there was little reason for it to be a Dune movie.
>>
>>72009183
because nobody's stupid enough to give him money to make a film where the outgoing Harkonnen soldiers squat and take a shit on the Arrakeen landing field before they leave.

except maybe the German shit fetishist market.
>>
>>72009183
it collapsed under the weight of his own hubris
>>
>>72009183
Dude is old as fuck now. He doesn't have the mental or physical energy to dedicate the 5+ years to something like that anymore.
>>
File: frankherbertisDisappoint.jpg (104 KB, 462x586) Image search: [Google]
frankherbertisDisappoint.jpg
104 KB, 462x586
>>72009204
he could still make his own SF movie. he could push for a live action version of "The Incal". that's HIS property.

maybe he doesn't get the same hardon from raping his own work as he does from raping Frank Herbert's.
>>
>>72009183
he could make a movie based on "Madwoman of the Sacred Heart" - the character of Albert Mangel was based on him, and he'd get to fuck a couple of hot women in the process.

although if he stuck closely to the story he'd get fucked in the ass by a junkie assassin and he'd be shitting his pants every ten minutes, but hey, he's into scat, so that should be a win.
>>
>>72006973
>Having it be a 12 or 20 hour movie is insane
Why do directors do this? They know that they can make a three hour film if they're extremely lucky, but that's it. Erich Von Stroheim did it over and over, every time his films getting cut down against his will to normal human lengths until he was never given a job again for being impossible to work with
>>
>>72009233
The Metabarons is a much better work but considering it spans like 7 generations of family, it probably would fit better as something else
>>
File: 1465260663199.jpg (131 KB, 525x809) Image search: [Google]
1465260663199.jpg
131 KB, 525x809
>My son Brontis, who was to play Paul, was initiated at nine years of age by a legendary bodyguard - Jean-Pierre Vigneau - to the combat with the knife (of real engagements), karate, the art of archery... He received lessons from an almost true mentat - Michel de Roisin - who had an encyclopaedic brain... I remember to have seen him give to Brontis a lesson on the fable the Cicada and the Ant which lasted more than fifteen days... Through the verses, he described a whole time and its civilizations.

I wonder what Brontis thinks about this in retrospect.
>>
File: dune-worms.jpg (195 KB, 1000x742) Image search: [Google]
dune-worms.jpg
195 KB, 1000x742
I like Jodorowsky and Lynch.. but fuck both of their ridiculous bullshit "artistic visions" and they can both fuck off with their pissy bitch rantings about "studios" and what the fuck ever fucking up their masturbatory fucking fuckfest.

I just want a decent movie adaptation of THE ACTUAL FUCKING BOOK FOR FUCKS SAKE
>>
File: gallery2.jpg (191 KB, 1080x799) Image search: [Google]
gallery2.jpg
191 KB, 1080x799
>>72006973
The art is really neat, but it would have been just as bad as David Lynch's version I'm sure. There is a reason it got canceled, which is that it was shaping up to be a hot mess of a film.

Just imagine, somewhere out there is an alternate universe where it was Jodorowsky's Dune that got made, and David Lynch's that got canceled. Everyone would be passing around concept art for Lynch's Dune and talking about how the script was so much more accurate that Jodorowsky's version. They'd be talking about how Lynch would have been so perfect and would have made the movie be like a 2 hour long drug trip, and what a shame it is that the world will never get to see his version.
>>
File: Dune_Dog.jpg (266 KB, 1175x685) Image search: [Google]
Dune_Dog.jpg
266 KB, 1175x685
>>72009346
>The art is really neat

hahahahah oh wow
>>
>>72009346
>Just imagine, somewhere out there is an alternate universe where it was Jodorowsky's Dune that got made, and

it was about as successful as all of Jodorowsky's other films, which is to say, not at all.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (123 KB, 465x787) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
123 KB, 465x787
>>72009501
>when the spice hits just right
>>
>>72009309

Watch the mini-series, it is pretty good.

You could never do justice to dune in 2 some odd hours anyways
>>
>>72006973
The Incal and Metabarons are pretty solid comic books
>>
>>72009501
>>72009536
I didn't say I actually wanted to see it all in a real movie, I just find it interesting in a Yellow Submarine kind of way. The legitimately high quality stuff all got idea mined by other movies anyway.
>>
>>72009534
It says something that the only one of Jodorowsky's movies that I can actually name is one that got canceled.

And wasn't Salvador Dali promised like a million dollars an hour to play the Emperor? It truly would have been a train wreck of spectacular proportions.
>>
>>72006973
I wish someone would just give him $100 million or so to make it before he cacks it, then hand it to an editor to slice into three movies of Lord of the Rings length.

It'd be amazing.
>>
>>72006973
It would have been shit. I'm glad it was never made and all the concept art was mined for other projects.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.