[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
STAR TREK BEYOND
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: 1.jpg (573 KB, 1200x1874) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
573 KB, 1200x1874
Spoilers from the premiere screenings.

The USS Enterprise is on its five year exploratory mission in Space. Kirk is offered a promotion to Vice-Admiral and begins questioning his motives for joining the Enterprise. Spock also finds out Spock Prime died and decides to resign from the Starfleet to lead New Vulcan.

The Enterprise docks on Yorktown, a legendary Starfleet outpost in deep space with its own artificial gravity. They leave with some minerals when they're attacked by the Swarm and the Enterprise is destroyed, forcing them all to eject and crash-land on the nearby planet Altamid, which is a starship graveyeard and is filled with different alien races.

Everyone is split in pairs: Kirk/Chekov, Spock/McCoy, Uhura/Suly and Scotty on his own. Kirk and Chekov find an old starship, the USS Franklin, which was also destroyed by the Swarm. Spock and McCoy are pursued by the Swarm and gain newfound respect for each other, and Uhura and Sulu are captured by the Swarm's leader, Krall (Idris Elba), a former Starfleet officer who was left behind after a mission gone wrong and harbors a vendetta against the Federation for it. Krall has been shooting down spaceships and using its crews to use as slave laborers to mine for a rare mineral that extends his life, and he destroyed the Enterprise because they had samples of the mineral.

Scotty, meanwhile, runs into a warrior, Jaylah (Sofia Boutella), who has been stranded on Altamid since she was a child, when Krall shot down her family's ship, killing her parents. They join forces to find the others, and they work to get the USS Franklin operational again.
>>
is it good?
>>
Kirk gets Chekov to start the ship and then go check the mail. It rolls forwards and crushes him to death against his mail box.
>>
>>71962624
too soon tbqh
>>
>>71962508
not too bad desu, sounds better then the last one
>>
>>71962624
>edgey guy
Leave comedy to the professionals pal.
>>
File: 1444971635935.png (161 KB, 420x504) Image search: [Google]
1444971635935.png
161 KB, 420x504
>>71962508

Please continue OP.
>>
File: latest.jpg (122 KB, 904x826) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
122 KB, 904x826
>>71962508
so you guys are like astronauts... on some kind of Star Trek (tm)?
>>
File: Krall.jpg (535 KB, 1200x1874) Image search: [Google]
Krall.jpg
535 KB, 1200x1874
After Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Chekov, Scotty and Jaylah fix the USS Franklin, Kirk and Jaylah rescue Uhura, Sulu and Krall's other prisoners, and learn that Krall is planning to destroy Yorktown and declare war on the Federation, using the Swarm to destroy any starships sent against him.

The Enterprise crew escapes from Altamid using the USS Franklin, arrives on Yorktown while Krall is attacking it, and manage to use Yorktown's artificial gravity to their advantage to destroy the Swarm, and ultimately defeat Krall.

The survivors of Krall's regime are returned to their worlds, Jaylah is accepted into Starfleet Academy, and Kirk realizes what his true purpose is, so he declines the promotion to keep being the captain of the Enterprise and exploring the universe with his family. Spock also realizes he truly belongs in the crew and decides to stay in Starfleet and trust the Vulcan elders to lead New Vulcan in Spock Prime's place.

Kirk and crew are then assigned to the newly-built Enterprise-A, which was being built on Yorktown.

Uhura and Sulu spent most of the movie under Krall's captivity. Also, Uhura breaks up with Spock early on the movie, but they get back together in the end. Bones gets a lot more focus and development with both Kirk and Spock. Scotty also gets a lot of scenes. Chekov, Sulu and Uhura definitely not as much.

The USS Franklin captain loved vintage things, that's why Kirk finds old recordings and a dirtbike inside.
>>
He's got great eyeballs.
>>
>>71962508
Plot sounds better as a video game, senpai.
>>
sounds like trash

can we reboot this shit again already
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 500x218) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 500x218
>>71962624
Damn, son.
>>
So what type of alien is krall?
>>
i'm with this dude >>71963029
the whole reboot and different timeline thing is just pointless. and for what?

>no more Vulcan

agreed that they can take more liberty now and change stuff around, but if this is the best they can do, shut it down and reboot alreadyt!
>>
File: ngbbs5235c717e2e4c.jpg (26 KB, 447x495) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs5235c717e2e4c.jpg
26 KB, 447x495
>new series of movies
>three movies in
>already destroyed the Enterprise twice

Pretty good summary of everything wrong with this reboot.
>>
>>71962918
status quo ftw
>>
>>71963177
But they didn't.

They heavily damaged it twice, but it has only really been destroyed in Beyond.
>>
>>71962508
wow. can't believe i'm going to say this.. but this movie sounds boring.
>>
File: Scotty in Command.jpg (38 KB, 564x423) Image search: [Google]
Scotty in Command.jpg
38 KB, 564x423
>>71963177
>Build Hollywood street-cred by bashing the Prequels
>Essentially makes Star Trek "Starfleet Academy" prequel reboot

This guy's worse than Patton Oswalt. He plays Scotty like he's Shaggy from Scooby-Doo, not the cool, collected 2nd officer of the USS Enterprise.
>>
The entire trilogy is ruined thanks to le "fuck what gay people think I'm shoehorning faggots into this movie and there's nothing you can do about it" man.
>>
is it true that they make Sulu gay in the movie? I'm sorry, I didn't catch up news lately
>>
>>71962918
>Kirk and crew are then assigned to the newly-built Enterprise-A, which was being built on Yorktown.
What? How much time passes in this movie? They were already building a new Enterprise before the old one was destroyed, and while it was still on its five year mission?
>>
>>71963647
Yeah.
>>
>>71963647

Likely it's a new Starfleet ship they decide to christen Enterprise in light of it's destruction.

>Gene used to say that the Enterprise-A first seen in Star Trek 4 was a decommissioned Yorktown.
>>
File: CmlnjX-UIAAQoV2.jpg (21 KB, 410x410) Image search: [Google]
CmlnjX-UIAAQoV2.jpg
21 KB, 410x410
>>71962918
>The USS Franklin captain loved vintage things, that's why Kirk finds old recordings and a dirtbike inside
>>
>>71962508
>It's a third revenge story in a row episode
>>
Any number of things they could have addressed in this alternate timeline

>Borg history
>Finding the wormhole to the gamma quadrant earlier and encounter the Dominion
>Romulan history

I am thinking the next installment will be there eventual Kirk v Klingons with Khan revived and probably coming to Kirk's aid for some reason
>>
>>71964020
>the next installment

this is most likely the last

prepare for another reboot
>>
>>71964116
It's fucking sad
>>
>>71962508
>>71962918
This is awful.
>>
This is going to bomb. Literally no one is talking about it, and there is next to no marketing for it.
>>
File: Vice Admiral.jpg (66 KB, 692x530) Image search: [Google]
Vice Admiral.jpg
66 KB, 692x530
>Vice Admiral
So, they offered three promotions for Kirk?

They couldn't just promote him to a one-star admiral. They couldn't just promote him to a two-star admiral. They had to offer him a promotion to three-star admiralty.

And it's not even the first time that a Star Trek flick has fucked this up.
>>
File: 12.gif (21 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
12.gif
21 KB, 200x200
>>71962624
>>
>>71964238
I'd fuck Vice Admiral Janeway
>>
>>71964238
All the other admirals died in the last movie, plus kirk at this point is the most experienced, decorated officer in the federation and already something of a living legend if this is the end of the first 5-year mission.
>>
>>71962508

Christ, this still hasn't come out yet?
>>
What is the swarm and how does Krall use it? If Krall was abandoned on some island how is he a fucking warlord now?

>DON'T TAKE CREATIVE RISKS
>BOMB ANYWAY

Sounds like Star Trek alright
>>
>>71964238
Janeway earned it.
>>
File: popeye disgustipation.jpg (22 KB, 297x400) Image search: [Google]
popeye disgustipation.jpg
22 KB, 297x400
>>71962508
>>71962918
This reads like a very drawn-out kiddie cartoon. It makes the first one look good and the second okay.
>>
>>71963545
Honestly none of them, except McCoy are anything like their TOS selves.

They are all based on the "Chinese whispers" parody versions of themselves that are actually nothing like the characters in the show. For example, in Star Trek, 3 seasons, Kirk only fucks 2 chicks, mostly turns down women and is super professional, yet if you believed wider media, Kirk bangs every single alien he sees and is a reckless playboy. If you believe the media Scotty is a sort of wacky scottish guy like Groundskeeper Willy, in the series though again, very professional.

Nu-Trek Spock is literally nothing, utterly nothing like TOS Spock in any way.
>>
>>71964116
If it is, I hope they go back to the "present". I don't want to see this old shit, I want to see post-voyager.
>>
>>71964514

Agreed. Quinto plays unemotional as fucking angry.
>>
>>71964519
The next TV series (airing January 2017) will probably be post-TNG/DS9/VOY.
>>
>>71964490
The first one is good.
>>
>>71964519
Unified Federation-Klingon dominated quadrant with a rebuilding Cardassia and shattered Romulan Empire waiting for the next war with the Dominion. Sounds boring desu. Especially since Janeway covered half the Galaxy. Or maybe the Federation goes on a war of aggression against the Dominion. That'd be neat.
>>
I don't understand why they need this fucking cartoon villain of the week bad guys for Star Trek films, this isn't only a fucking problem with Nu-Trek, but a lot of the Prime Timeline films as well.

Why in fuck can't we get an actual proper sci-fi story? Films like Intersteller, The Martian, Promethius etc all beat Nu-Trek at the Box office.

Why in fuck can't we at least get a good proper war story about like the fucking Romulans or Klingons?
>>
File: Anton.png (219 KB, 500x265) Image search: [Google]
Anton.png
219 KB, 500x265
>>71962624
>>
>>71964553
Quinto's Spock is not really emotionless.
>>
>>71964714
"Interstellar" and "Prometheus" had antagonists and "The Martian" is too different a proposal.
>>
>>71964626
Whatever happened to that species 8472 or whatever. They could be a new big threat. Hell, bring back those worms that infested and controlled high ranking officers early in TNG, weren't they supposed to come back at some point?
>>
>>71964937
Yea, nothing ever happened with that. Probably cause it was too horror and not enough politics.
>>
>>71963214
so destroyed twice yes
>>
>>71962508
>finds out Spock Prime has died

I'm really not a fan of how much they're winking at the audience, what with this and the Sulu thing. Half expect Checkov to run himself over at the end.
>>
>>71964937
You're thinking of Animorphs
>>
>3 wasted opportunities for this relatively likable crew to go through deep space, just explore and go on crazy adventures and shit.

fuck
>>
File: 1289749924734.jpg (7 KB, 252x240) Image search: [Google]
1289749924734.jpg
7 KB, 252x240
>>71965113
>Half expect Checkov to run himself over at the end.
>>
File: chris-pine.jpg (59 KB, 305x622) Image search: [Google]
chris-pine.jpg
59 KB, 305x622
>>71962508
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>71965192
Uhh Jewishness is passed down through the mothers side.
>>
>>71965192
>maternal grandfather

The fuck does that mean?
>>
>>71965236
how stupid can you be senpai
>>
>>71965236
>maternal grandfather
his mom's father is a Jew
>>
>>71965236
It means his mum's mum loved the big jewish D
>>
>>71965254
Very

Just answer the question
>>
File: 1466374316542.jpg (135 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
1466374316542.jpg
135 KB, 500x328
>tfw I'm just waiting for these shitty reboots to completely destroy our beloved star trek alien races

>yfw they will probably give the Klingons a queen or some other retarded bs
>>
>>71965236

What do you mean?

It's exactly what it says
>>
>>71964556
I thought the rumor was that it'd feature various points in the timeline, including the Enterprise-C era
>>
>>71965365
the grandfather on his mothers side, fuckwit
>>
Why would a station with artificial gravity be a big deal?

The ships have it already.
>>
>>71964714
>Why in fuck can't we at least get a good proper war story about like the fucking Romulans or Klingons?
All signs seemed to point to a conflict with the Klingons.
The first movie had a scene with Klingons torturing Nero that got cut.
The second movie had that brief scene with Klingons that implied and oncoming war.
But instead now we have... this.
>>
>>71965572
Sounds like it has a black hole.
>>
>>71965572
why are warp drive and ships a big deal?
they can transport to other planets.
>>
>>71965740
what
>>
>>71965740
It's ridiculous that they established that was possible without considering how it would surely impact future movies
>>
>>71964937
You're describing Star Trek Online.
>>
File: 1467433560714.png (16 KB, 844x592) Image search: [Google]
1467433560714.png
16 KB, 844x592
>tfw we will never have a TNG sequel to nuTrek with Mark Strong as Picard
>>
Star Trek- Pretty fun reboot for both fans and non fans
Into Darkness- Didnt really need to make Cumberbatch Khan because it doesnt really add anything but hey Klingon war coming
This- What is this tv episode plot shit? Why would drop the war when you know this is the last one of this series? Hell I would have accepted Borg shit or Q dimension shenanigans
>>
>>71965895
They're trying to cater to fans that complained the last two movies had too much action and not enough trekking.
>>
>>71965837
Based game desu senpai
>>
>>71965545
>I mean, it's funny. I've read that we're [set] before "Next Generation," after ["Star Trek VI: The] Undiscovered Country," which is false.
Bryan Fuller said that it's not in the Enterprise C era.
>>
>>71965767
Computer, transport me from Earth to Qo'noS. Energize.
>>
>>71964514
>They are all based on the "Chinese whispers" parody versions of themselves that are actually nothing like the characters in the show.
I've been saying this for seven years now.
>>
>>71966104
oh fuck I blocked that bullshit out of my memory

jesus christ it's all coming back. what a horrific movie
>>
>>71966136
So has Mr. Plinkett.
>>
>>71965831
When did they do that? I forget.
>>
>>71962918
>that's why Kirk finds old recordings
IT'S A DANCE OFF BRO
>>
File: 76474.jpg (79 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
76474.jpg
79 KB, 320x240
Did I miss something or what the fuck is the Swarm and how was it able to easily bring down the Enterprise which carries enough armaments to be able to destroy the entire planet that the Swarm is located on?
>>
>>71966136
>>71966171
They took all the fun little memes about TOS...
>dude, Kirk fucks green chicks! He's a bad boy who doesn't play by the rules!
>Beam me up, Scotty!
>the engines cannae take it!
>nuclear wessles!
...and made them real.
>>
>>71966230
And not even one "He's dead Jim." I'm shocked.
>>
>>71966260
>"He's dead, Spock"
Wow, poetry, much amazing, so repetition, bravo Orci.
>>
You know how I want this movie to end? Or the next one to be more precise.

With the NuEnterprise going across the multiverse and somehow saving Prime Romulus right at the moment Red Matter was supposed to do its Maguffin ability. We see the prime timeline get fixed, no angsty Nero, and the NuTimeline collapse upon itself. Could even have Q/Guinan/whoever show up and say what a heroic sacrifice it is to erase your very existence in one timeline to ensure the survival of a brighter future in the prime timeline.

Then you could have a flash back where either:

1) Kirk is joining (or graduating) Star Fleet Academy, his dad tells him how proud he is as he leaves for his dorm (or the U.S.S. Farragut if going with graduation scene)

2) Captain Kirk making the pre-launch tour of the newly constructed Constitution class starship, the USS Enterprise. After meeting his crew, the scene segways into the "These are the voyages..." monologue

Bonus option
3) Admiral Picard is hosting a peace summit with the Romulans to discuss the dissolution of the Neutral Zone and co-integration with the Federation, on account of saving Romulus and all that jazz

But none of these will ever happen, right?
>>
>>71966211
>Mark Strong
tholian tech you dumb fuck
>>
>>71966230
So what would a meme TNG reboot film look like?
>>
>>71966366
>But none of these will ever happen, right?
correct

in star trek online travel between jj shit and prime universe is already underway
>>
>>71966380
Picard gives 50 speeches, Riker sits on chairs funny 50 times, Worf gets denied 50 times
>>
>>71966380
Three words: Young, sexy Data.
>>
File: JJ reboots TNG.jpg (64 KB, 719x548) Image search: [Google]
JJ reboots TNG.jpg
64 KB, 719x548
>>71966366
Truly awful, and not in a good way.

>>71966380
Here's your TNG reboot:
>origin story
>whole crew (except Picard) is normal age, rank and position
>except Nechayev, who is captain of the Enterprise
>Cadet Picard is now the youngest and lowest-ranking character in the film
>Cadet Picard is also a troublemaker and a hothead that breaks all the rules, but it’s okay because he has great potential and a beckoning destiny
>he secretly stows aboard the Enterprise on its first mission because he wants to see a real adventure
>he gets caught, but Nechayev lets him stay as the "Captain's Assistant" because his father was a hero
>they meet Q on the first mission
>Q tests humanity, wants to know what they’re willing to sacrifice, puts them through various shenanigans and tomfooleries
>in the climactic scene of the film, Chief of Security Macha Hernandez reveals her secret dark history as chief rapist of her planet’s biggest rape gang:
>“My real name, Cadet Picard, is Tasha Yar. I changed my name to run away from my past, to escape the haunting memories of the rape gangs of my youth. I’ve committed crimes, horrors, atrocities in my time as a rapist. Now there’s only one way for me to atone for my past rapes: I have to sacrifice myself to fix the warp core and save the ship.”
>“Tasha, no, don’t, you have so much to live for!”
>“Don’t remember me for the rapist I was, Cadet Picard. Remember me for who I strive to be: A hero, like you.”
>“Tasha! Taaassssshhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa!”
>an enraged Picard challenges and defeats Q in a boxing match, saving the day
>Data spontaneously emotes, then apologizes for his outburst
>Nechayev is promoted to admiral, Picard is promoted to captain and given command of the Enterprise
>Picard tells Data to “punch it” and they zoom off for a warp race in the Qo'noS Drift
>The Human Adventure is Just Beginning
>>
>>71966380
I started writing a response to this but then I realised it already exists and it's called Star Trek Nemesis.
>>
>>71966482
I've seen this before and it still makes me kek greatly. Great job, anon.
>>
>>71964514
damn. spot on.
>>
>>71966454
What about
>Q in a funny hat
>Data makes everything awkward
>Fuck you Wesley
>Counselor points out the obvious
>>
Let's face it. The 2017 series is going to be shit.
>>
>>71962508
so theres no space battles? thats all i want to see desu
>>
>>71966600
the reboot movies are on the extreme side of goofy and almost parodical
the 2017 series will be on the extreme side of grimdark and edgy
>>
File: cool papa sisk.jpg (75 KB, 1277x548) Image search: [Google]
cool papa sisk.jpg
75 KB, 1277x548
>>71966600
>>71966634
Let's face it. Nicholas Meyer is great and you're shit for doubting him.
>>
>>71966631
It's funny that Star Trek Nemesis, with the budget of a TV episode, featured the biggest space battle in the movies, while all three JJ films, with their billions of dollars, only feature hand-to-hand combat.
>>
>>71966670
Holy fuck those uniforms will always be the best.
>>
>>71966183
When Kirk and Spock Prime meet up with Scotty in the first nu-Trek movie. Although the fact that Spock already knew about it implies Scotty was capable of doing it in the original universe too.
>>
>>71962508
Do actual Trekkies like these movies?
>>
>>71962508
>Kirk is offered a promotion to Vice-Admiral
Is he even fucking 30 yet in this timeline
>>
This sounds retarded and boring. Is there any mods to the show? Why fuck with the timeline when you can't do interesting stuff? Where is Sharper? Why not find a reason to get Picard in this or even Janeway fuck these movies I hope this is the last one. Also wtf all 3 movies have villains who want to destroy the federation fuck off give us a villain with simple and conflicted issues. This sounds gay. I can't believe Chekhov died for this.
>>
>>71963570
Overreacting a bit don't you think?, are you a closet faggot?
>>
>90% of the actors in this movie will never have a significant role after this movie
>>
>>71966796

I think you're giving Into Darkness a little too much credit. Khan didn't want to destroy the Federation, he didn't seem to want anything except rescuing his crew. He only suicide attacked San Francisco when he thought they were dead.

Spock makes a passing mention about Khan wanting to genocide everyone, but Khan never talks about it and this was never his motivation in the original series, he just wanted to conquer and be superior.
>>
Is admiral RoboCop in this?
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 926x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 926x960
>>71962624
holy fucking kek

I laughed so hard my dad came into my room and I had to explain why I was laughing loudly.
>>
>>71966696
Big and boring.
>>
>>71966903
he died in the last one
>>
>>71967046
But McCoy discovered a cure for death.
>>
>>71967086
nigga he dead as fuck
>>
>>71967133
Magic
a
g
i
c

Blood
l
o
o
d
>>
>using the master and commander poster and not the trekfuriouswars poster.
>>
But do they sing row row row your boat?
>>
>>71967315
No. These movies have no heart.
>>
>>71967614
To be fair, not all of the TOS and TNG movies didn't had much heart compared to their respective series either
>>
Assuming they always planned on doing just 3 what will this accomplish? What loop will be caused what arc conquered? If they wanted to make a boring star trek Esq episode they should have went balls to the wall with the Borg and multiple cameos. In fact I'm impressed they never tapped the Borg ever considering its all they did in Voyager.
>>
>>71967697
There was never a plan.

ST09's only goal was to bring an IP which had faded into irrelevancy back into Paramount's lineup with enough appeal to generate millions of dollars. They draw on nostalgia and what Trek has seeped into the public consciousness and fill the rest with action to appeal to the biggest audience. The goal has always been to make as much money as possible.

STID was probably intended to double the take of the first movie, but it was a misfire. While it was critically well received at the time, not many more turned up for it than ST09. The whole Khan thing was never promoted so fans didn't get behind it either.

The only goal with Beyond is to make a movie that panders to the fans while at the same time broadening the demographic. That's why we have dirt bike chases and action-filled trailers, along with colourful optimistic marketing and a promise to return to exploration/Federation ideals/Simon Pegg nerd cred. It's meant to answer to criticism that they made this reboot and have failed to do anything new.

If this does similar business again then they will once again draw from the well of "What do people know about Star Trek?" and either do more Klingons or Borg. Because that's about all that's left they haven't tapped. Q isn't well known enough to bring in a huge audience for a film. Nobody cares about Cardassians, or Ferengi or anything else.
>>
File: killmeplease.png (184 KB, 500x308) Image search: [Google]
killmeplease.png
184 KB, 500x308
>>71967263
A fucking motorcycle in a Star Trek's poster.
>>
>>71962624
>>
I hope a good pirated copy comes out fast. My best friend is a turbo nerd when it comes to star trek and he refused to pay for any of them and I would always trick him when he came over to watch a pirated copies of the movies and he will just rant for two hours as the movie is going why everything is wrong. It's hilarious how butthurt he gets.
>>
>>71968150
If he's ranting about the magic blood which cures death, then he has a good point.

Source: I'm your friend.
>>
>>71967614
do they at least have faith of the heart?
>>
>>71964514
I don't regret avoiding these movies at all now.
>>
File: kaijew.png (546 KB, 726x1482) Image search: [Google]
kaijew.png
546 KB, 726x1482
>>71965192
>>
>>71962624
I don't get it, someone spoonfeed me
>>
>>71968460
This is how the actor who plays Chekhov died you dumb fuck.
>>
>>71968394
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

like the hiroshima bomb
>>
>>71962508
>skipping the five year mission
i'm not even mad

i'm seething
>>
>>71968479
Ok
>>
>they found no way to get Shatner in this

Fuck them
>>
will we see the Borg in next move?
>>
>>71967263
This is going to be a trainwreck.
>>
>first movie nostalgia bait
>second movie super nostalgia bait
>third movie completely original concept

Is Simon Pegg a retard?
>>
>>71968569
Why would you want a fat, sweaty murderer in your film?
>>
>>71968674
If this movie underperforms - yes. They'll take it as a sign that they shouldn't attempt original stories (no matter how shitty) and instead should bank on tried and true villains like Khan.
>>
>>71969157
No, it'll be a Klingon war. Even Pegg and the people behind nu trek know that fans would argue that the borg would steamroll everyone at this point in time.
>>
>>71968741
what are you talking about? you don't support originality?
>>
>>71969280
That's also an option, but the point is - it'll be something familiar to general audiences that know only what Star Trek has left in popular culutre (live long and prosper, etc).

Klingon War is possible even though they already showed Klingons in Into Darkness, because people know what Klingons are. I'd argue they wouldn't choose it though because it's a tougher sell - Klingons haven't been a central selling point of a movie since Star Trek 6 and that wasn't a huge financial hit.

Borg are also very likely because they can go to town on their redesign and build them up to be an even bigger-er and badder-er enemy with an even bigger-er-er ship than Khan or Nero. There's a fresher element to them since general audiences won't have seen them since First Contact (and will be unaware how they were ruined on Voyager).
>>
>>71969357
I sure do. That's why I'm waiting for 2017.
>>
>>71969419
>ruined
>voyager
I...actually liked Voyager.
>>
>>71962508
. . . . . . tl;dr . . . . . .
>>
>>71965192
>Ethnicity: Jewish, English, German, Welsh, French
Did his mom do gangbang porn or what?
>>
>>71969649
I like it too. I would just never recommend that mess to anyone else.
>>
>>71962624
I think we were all waiting for this response
>>
>>71966670

I have to argue that I like TUC more than Wrath. The cinematography in it is pure fucking sex.
>>
>>71966859

I don't know if it was actually the intention of the writers but I would have sworn Cumberbatch played Khan like he would have legit let Kirk and the Enterprise go their separate ways right up until he knocked him out and tried to arrest him.
>>
>>71964238

It seems Starfleet ranks go Captain -> Vice Admiral -> Admiral.

They kinda borrow from the US Navy system, with a little bit of influence from the US Army Air Corps in which Roddenberry served.
>>
>>71966670
Who cares about the director? As long as there's no lensflare it's a very unimportant point compared to the team of fags and hacks they have writing it.
>>
>>71970465
>What is a rear admiral
>>
>>71970476
Yes, writing. Nicholas Meyer wrote II, IV and VI, and now he is on the 2017 writing staff.
>>
>>71970503
Who are you trying to educate? Nobody involved with Star Trek Nemesis or Star Trek Beyond is in this thread.
>>
>>71964432
>Janeway earned it.

Kathryn "Fuck the Prime Directive" Janeway deserves to be an Admiral in Starfleet?

What the fuck are you smoking?
I would've hoped after Voyager returned, Starfleet command took a look at her mission logs and then quietly forced her into retirement, rather than face the embarrassment of some of her crimes becoming public.
>>
>>71970551
Navy ranks go Captain, post captain, commodore second class, commodore first class, rear admiral, vice admiral, admiral, admiral of the fleet
>>
>>71970519
>Meyer wrote II, IV and VI
No, he was a screenwriter, as in he edited other people's ideas, he didn't come up with anything himself.
>>
>>71970601
Who are you trying to educate? Nobody involved with Star Trek Nemesis or Star Trek Beyond is in this thread.
>>
>>71970588
Starfleet has a lot of problems with corruption, if they retired her then people would ask questions about why and what she did, ships would be sent to investigate the species she made contact with, all the flight recorders would be checked and she'd be indicted for the murder of Tuvix.
>>
>>71970614
>he didn't come up with anything himself.
And of course, you know this to be true because you were there, watching him the whole time.
>>
What are the origins of the Borg?
>>
>a former Starfleet officer who was left behind after a mission gone wrong and harbors a vendetta against the Federation for it.
Wrath of Kahn.

Again.

We did this twice already. Three times if you count the original.
>>
>>71970503

Starfleet don't use that rank, either in the prime continuity 2379, or the alternate continuity 2263.

Just like in the original TOS series, Commodore was a rank before Admiral, the US Navy no longer uses it, being largely replaced by highly ranked Captains.
>>
>>71970334

I mean, in a sense Cumberbatch played Khan fairly similar to Montalban in some respects. TOS Khan basically naturally assumes he's a superior being and wants to conquer, like an Alexander the Great. He's an infinitely huge ego, and can be cruel and vengeful but not without purpose, and apparently when he was in charge of his part of Earth in the Eugenics Wars it was run pretty well.

So, in Into Darkness he's been unfrozen and forced into submission by Marcus. He wants to get back on top by 1) getting his crew unfrozen and then 2) getting access to the superweapon Vengeance he helped build so he can conquer anywhere he wants to (like he wanted Genesis in WOK).

Once Khan was aboard the Vengeance, his actions mostly make sense to a point. He would definitely have wanted to kill Marcus for enslaving him and take command of the Vengeance. He would want to beat up Kirk as payback for beating him up. But if Spock had just handed over the frozen augments, Khan would have probably left them alone while he woke up his crew and planned his next move. Spock's line about Khan wanting genocide doesn't really make any sense, unless it's referencing the flesh-eating virus from the non-canon novals.

Instead, Spock decides to do a clever trick and tries to blow up the Vengeance, which makes Khan angry enough to ram San Francisco and kill hundreds of thousands of people. So their deaths are really on Spock's hands.
>>
>>71970683
They were created as a deterrent to keep the Yuuzhan Vong out of our galaxy.
>>
>>71970687
>the federation somehow failed to help me when I needed them so I must now engage in a personal war against a sovereign nation in a futile attempt at revenge
Literally all three movies summed up in one post.
>>
>>71970732
kek
>>
>>71970703
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_admiral_(United_States)
>>
>>71970703
Star Trek did use rear admirals in the prime continuity.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Rear_admiral

It's just the movies getting rid of rear admirals because they have to dumb down Star Trek even more than UPN did.
>>
File: Thomas_and_William_Riker[1].jpg (38 KB, 729x557) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_and_William_Riker[1].jpg
38 KB, 729x557
>>71970687
>>a former Starfleet officer who was left behind after a mission gone wrong and harbors a vendetta against the Federation for it.
>>
>>71970775
He just harbors a vendetta against transporters.

>tfw no Thomas+Reginald teamup episode
>>
>>71970775
Fair enough, but that was personal not ideological.

I mean, later he became a Maquis... so yeah, fair enough.
>>
>>71970719
I thought Vengeance just drifted uncontrollably and crashed into San Francisco. I didn't think he rammed it on purpose.
>>
>still no Kahless the Unforgettable trilogy
it hurts
>>
>>71970850

He was intending to ram Starfleet Headquarters, and ended up ramming San Francisco when the computer couldn't guarantee a destination.

And yeah, Khan opening fire on the Enterprise once he beamed Kirk over doesn't make any sense either, given the Enterprise was no threat to him. Montalban-Khan would have told the crew to lick their wounds and spread word of the return of the augments, while he fucked off with the Vengeance. Instead he decides to just kill them, I guess because they double crossed him first by trying to stun him?
>>
I just wish they'd stop blowing up the fucking Enterprise. It feels lazy to do the same thing two movies in a row. Also what's the deal with the artificial gravity stuff? Doesn't every ship have it already? Why would it need to be a big deal?
>>
>>71971010
They haven't blown it up once yet in the reboots. The ships generally last three movies in the film series.

ST: TMP - No damage, survives
ST II: Wrath of Khan - Heavily damaged, survives
ST III: Search for Spock - Self-destructs, destroyed
ST IV: Voyage Home - Ent-A commissioned, survives
ST V: Final Frontier - Survives
ST VI: Undiscovered Country - Damaged, survives
ST Generations - Enterprise-D destroyed (after surviving 7 years on the show)
ST First Contact - Ent-E commissioned, survives
ST Insurrection - Survives
ST Nemesis - Heavily damaged, survives
ST 09 - Reboot Enterprise launched, survives
ST Into Darkness - Heavily damaged, survives, given a refit
ST Beyond - Destroyed.

This is the third destruction in 40 years, and like 20 years since the last one in Generations.
>>
>>71970850

He rammed it. The Enterprise fell out of Lunar orbit.

The reverse KHAAAAN and magic blood were stupid, and I said 'this is stupid' when I saw it and moved on, but holy shit the Enterprise falling into Earth's atmosphere from LUNAR FUCKING ORBIT triggers me to no end. I can't help it. I get like, visceral anger.
>>
>>71971138
Shit you are right, I haven't watched into Darkness since seeing it in the Cinema. I thought the Enterprise crashed but it was the other ship.
>>
>>71971232
Terrible movie desu
>>
>>71971339
It just pisses me off that the Enterprise D went out like such a bitch. Best Enterprise of the entire line and it gets taken out by a fucking cheap shot from the Duras sisters - the worst villains on the show next to the Ferengi.

At least the crash was cool.
>>
File: USS_Yamato_explodes.jpg (768 KB, 1422x1055) Image search: [Google]
USS_Yamato_explodes.jpg
768 KB, 1422x1055
>>71971375
Better than what happened to USS Yamato
>>
>>71964514
It why I love Karl Urban. His McCoy is sometimes equal to DeForrest's. Just wish they hadn't replaced McCoy with Units in the kirk-Spock-McCoy formula.
>>
>>71965192
So was Shatner
>>
>>71971461
It makes sense for the movies, they don't need McCoy to function. What does he add to the situations they've had so far?

TOS trinity worked because McCoy was the humanist, Spock was cold logic, and Kirk was the man inbetween with the proverbial devil and angel on his shoulders - he'd listen to both and then choose his own course of action. They don't even have enough time to slow down for a conversation in this movie. The only depth we get is that Kirk and Spock are best friends despite the fact that Kirk annoys Spock immensely and Spock constantly tattles on Kirk and is untrustworthy. Uhura has only become more important because of her relationship to Spock, so they can shoehorn her into more scenes. She doesn't have any extra function in the plot at all - it's not as if they've had many communication problems or needed her to work the PA. Outside of being Spock's dick receptacle, she's just as perfunctory as Bones has become, and as Sulu, Scotty and Chekov are.
>>
File: Worf_fights_with_doors.jpg (317 KB, 1306x1080) Image search: [Google]
Worf_fights_with_doors.jpg
317 KB, 1306x1080
>>71971418
the yamato was a perfectly designed ship.
>>
>>71971495
Too bad he doesn't have Shatner's charisma.
>>
>>71962508
Krall sounds awfully similar to Khan.
Just sayin.
>>
>>71971754
Shatner had charisma, but God the pausing. Only in WoK does he act brilliantly, and that's because Meyer did take after take to wear him out.
>>
>>71972008
Truly the Klaus Kinski of Star Trek (before Avery).
>>
>>71967671
The TOS movies did.

Well, some of them did.
>>
>>71972054
Speaking of Sisko, I think that one of the reasons that DS9 was so enjoyable was because he was more like Kirk than any other ST captain was; Picard was an effete milksop in comparison, Janeway was butt-fucking crazy and Archer was just bland as hell (thanks, B&B) for about three and a half out of four seasons.

Sisko struck a nice balance between optimism and tact on one side and "I can live with it" on the other, Avery Brooks' acting nonwithstanding.
>>
I'm kinda digging the space naval uniform. If only it were red and not blue. Bkue gives me ENT flashbacks.
>>
>>71972237

Star Trek V even had some heart, some good character development scenes, anyway.
>>
File: Efrosian_Federation_President.jpg (45 KB, 600x431) Image search: [Google]
Efrosian_Federation_President.jpg
45 KB, 600x431
>>71972627
trek 4
trek 5
trek 2
trek 3
trek 1
trek 8
trek 9
trek 7
trek 6
trek 10
trek 11
trek 12

star trek 13 ????????
>>
>>71970719
>But if Spock had just handed over the frozen augments, Khan would have probably left them alone
He opens fire on Enterprise before torpedoes detonate, he wouldn't let them go.
>>
>>71962508
Did they find a way to write Chekhov out of future movies?
>>
>>71973786
That's if Khan was being written in character. TOS Khan would have let them go. New Khan is an asshole for no reason because we need a third act.
>>
>>71973803
gets replaced with prime universe takei playing sulus new boyfriend.
>>
>>71973803
>Note: Ensign Chekov died on the way back to his living room
>>
>>71973826
The problem with Into Darkness was they wanted to do a revamp of TWOK complete with Khan out for revenge but failed to take into account that Khan was only like that because of the events AFTER his first encounter with Kirk and crew, that wasn't who he was originally. Since they never met before in the timeline it should have been a revamp of the original Space Seed episode.
>>
>>71962508
Do people actually like the reboot?
>>
>>71974002
I like them, but I don't really like Star Trek. Original series was straining my eyes, TNG pilot was filled with sanctimonius cunts so I never mustered strength to carry on, Voyager wasn't that appealing either and Enterprise I heroically watched for a season but it sucked too.
>>
>>71962508

no ship no buy

star trek movies that are just one long away mission are always really boring to me
>>
>>71974002

I un-ironically enjoy them, despite everything. I think that Skylar is a great Spock, and I think the casting for Kirk was spot on.
>>
>>71970274
It's definitely my favorite out of the original 6 movies. I love pretty much everything about it, from the score, to the characterization, to the plot. It's all so satisfying and well-crafted.
>>
>>71971723
>the yamato was a perfectly designed ship.

Typical gook ship trapped with hazards and pitfalls left behind by it's slope headed crew.
>>
>>71973928
Kinda wish that Cumberpatch as Khan was a red herring, and instead he was Khan's right hand man, Joaquin. Also in keeping with how he was identified in the TOS, a Sikh actor should have been cast as Khan.
>>
>>71974375
The comic prequel explains the race change, and it's not awful. Admiral Robocop realises who Khan before they wake him up so he hatches his plan to make Khan work for him right away. They wipe his memory and surgically alter him to look completely different, then when he wakes up they tell him he's John Harrison and make him work Section 31 ops against the Klingons, while giving input for the Vengeance design.

Eventually Khan remembers who he is, and that's when he gets Mickey to bomb Section 31 in London. It's not a horrible way to explain it all, but it's all stuff that should have been in the movie.
>>
>>71974415
God just remembered that. Still a bit of an ass-pull. Was I the only one who hated the Klingons in ID?
>>
>>71974468
The reboot Klingons as a whole were underwhelming, yeah. Praxis is already destroyed (by Khan apparently), so I don't know where they're getting their resources from. The change in their design makes them look like the 'urban demographic'. The new birds of prey lack any kind of distinctive look. Kronos didn't look like somewhere anyone would actually live, just a weird assortment of shapes.
>>
>>71974551
>like the 'urban demographic
Unlike before, right?
>>
>>71966983
What did you say?
>>
File: narada.jpg (294 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
narada.jpg
294 KB, 1920x1080
>>71974002
>that subdued wailing music
>Narada's spikes fluttering around like it's aliva and in agony
>Nero closing his eyes, accepting his fate
The first is pure starkino, the second is mediocre, it just did too many things wrong.
>>
>>71963635

Yes, and not even George Takei approved of the change. He felt that they should stay true to the original character. Simon Pegg is a moron who believes there's never been a gay/bi character in Star Trek even though there's plenty of evidence to the contrary in DS9 where there's same-sex kissing (Jadzia) and implied bisexual or lesbian behavior (Mirror Kira, Mirror Leta, Mirror Ezri)
>>
>>71966670
Is that grandpa sisko on the right?
>>
>>71964519

CBS/Paramount is avoiding post-voyager for a good reason. Starfleet is overpowered and has no real opposition in the alpha quadrant. All the major powers are rebuilding their fleets, cities, and bases. Also, Starfleet has an edge with knowledge and tech brought back from the delta quadrant. Every episode would be heavily scrutinized as to "why didn't the crew try X that was in series X?"

>>71964556

Nope, post-tos pre-tng
>>
>>71974703
Yeah I don't understand how the first was pretty good, but the second fucked things up so much, especially with Luke's death.
>>
>>71974977
Fuck meant Pike
>>
>>71974938
>CBS/Paramount is avoiding post-voyager for a good reason.
What about the "Tuvok a badass" thing that surfaced here some time ago? It's unofficial or something?
Anyway,
>Starfleet is overpowered and has no real opposition in the alpha quadrant.
What ever happened to Dominion and the Borg?
Also, this show doesn't need to be about "war-like" scenarios, maybe some more """down-to-earth""" social, political, economical problematiques or whatever?
Ah who am I kidding, low key shit like that would not work in this day and age. Not to mention my dream baby of a red-shirt story, with the bridge crew never going down on away parties lel.
>>
File: 1467003592593.gif (569 KB, 1000x811) Image search: [Google]
1467003592593.gif
569 KB, 1000x811
>>71962624
>Kirk gets Chekov to start the ship and then go check the mail. It rolls forwards and crushes him to death against his mail box.
briddy gud :-DDDD
>>
File: 88cd188ee057.jpg (397 KB, 600x1159) Image search: [Google]
88cd188ee057.jpg
397 KB, 600x1159
>>71962508
>>71962918
well, it is retarded enough to be true
>>
>>71971004
>Montalban-Khan would have told the crew to lick their wounds and spread word of the return of the augments

Yeah, kind of like how Montalban-Khan disregarded Kirk and found a new homeworld with the Reliant and build a new empire.
>>
>>71975291
>Yeah, kind of like how Montalban-Khan disregarded Kirk and found a new homeworld with the Reliant and build a new empire.
Space Seed Khan would do that. WoK Khan was driven by revenge against Kirk, but since Into Darkness Khan is not, he should've acted like Space Seed Khan.
>>
>>71974938
>Nope, post-tos pre-tng
see:
>>71966069
>>
>>71975132
>What ever happened to Dominion and the Borg?

The dominion signed a peace treaty/cease fire/whatever.

The Borg is a possibility, but they lost the transwarp network, the unicomplex, and are dealing with 8472 and the drone revolt started by Janeway and Seven
>>
>>71975346
He was kinda pissed at Federation
>>
File: Star_Trek_IV_The_Voyage_Home.png (165 KB, 275x376) Image search: [Google]
Star_Trek_IV_The_Voyage_Home.png
165 KB, 275x376
best trek beaming in
>>
File: trek5.jpg (12 KB, 229x341) Image search: [Google]
trek5.jpg
12 KB, 229x341
second best beaming aboard
>>
I never understood what the reasoning is for everything in the new timeline to be so different from how it's already been depicted.

I think I could buy it if, for example, the first thing Nero did when he came back in time was to destroy Vulcan. That would be huge, Vulcans are a major influence in the Federation and their absence could mean everything turns out different, like the designs of the ships and such.

But instead the thing that changes the new timeline is the destruction of a single ship, and when we catch up 20 or so years down the line, things are already different everywhere that such an isolated event wouldn't have affected.

It just doesn't sit right to me.
>>
>>71975572
Star Trek V had some fantastic character moments and a few great lines but it is hardly the second best Star Trek movie. It's probably the worst of the original 6.
>>
File: Star Trek 6.jpg (54 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek 6.jpg
54 KB, 400x400
worst trek beaming down
>>
>>71962508
shite shite shite shite shite shite
>>
my favorite star trek is where data goes crazy and second is the one one where they create warp drive
>>
>>71975643
>>71975572
>>71975550
My god, man
Your shit taste is off the charts!
>>
>>71975597
The justification (or JUSTification if you look at it like that) is basically the buttlerfly effect:

Nero goes back in time with his Borg-enhanced Romulan ship from 100 years in the future. He destroys the Kelvin, but enough survivors escape with detailed scans of the Narada.

They bring their scans back to the Federation, and the analysis brings new breakthroughs in science. Meanwhile, the attack on the Kelvin by Romulans shifts the diplomatic scape of the galaxy, as the Federation moves to deal with them a lot sooner and learns they share an ancestry with Vulcans. This also leads to advances in tech. By the time we get to Kirk at the Academy, Starfleet is lightyears ahead of where they would have otherwise been.

Meanwhile, the Narada destroys the Klingon fleet and Vulcan - also pissing off the Klingons and creating a state of paranoia in the Federation, particularly among Marcus and Section 31. More advanced weapons tech is built, and aggressive searches are made for tactical advantages like Khan.
>>
>>71975597
What did change? I've got the impression that most things were unfolding in the same vein, contrivances like everyone enrolling in the same year aside.
>>
>>71975693
Thanks anon.

do you have great taste ? how would you rate them ?

row row row (you)r boat gently down the starem
>>
>>71975871

Federation-wise: big tech shift. Starships become Apple stores and a fuckload bigger. Somehow shields stop existing. Phasers become rapid fire guns. Federation knows about Romulans and Vulcans sharing the same history. Klingons have already had Praxis blow up.

Character-wise: Kirk's dad is dead, which spurs him to become a captain way earlier. Spock's mommy dies, so he becomes an emotional wreck. Sulu is gay now. Scotty beamed Porthos into oblivion and was exiled to Delta Vega by Archer.
>>
>>71975934
>Undiscovered country
>Wrath of Khan
>Galaxy Quest
>Voyage home
>JJ Trek
>First contact
>The motion picture
>Search for Spock
>Final frontier
>Into darkness
>Insurrection
>Generations
>Nemesis
>>
>>71974938
Why would ST be about space battles? Only the movies are like that. Not even all of them.
>>
>>71976260
>Only the movies are like that.
and a big chunk of DS9
>>
>>71975944
>Scotty beamed Porthos into oblivion and was exiled to Delta Vega by Archer

Fucking why? Why, ST writers, why?
>>
>>71962918
Not op, so does the A look like an actual Enterprise now or does it still look like shit JJ Apple I Phone shit?
>>
>>71976099
muh kilngons
muh space politics
muh nimoy director
muh prison scene's
muh shatners hair-piece
muh dinner party scene
muh spock mind rape
6 has a good opening and that's about it ,not even prime miss cattrell can save this shit movie. so boring.

jj trek that high , you must be high anon
>>
>>71976343
It's the same but darker grey-er apparently.
>>
File: Porthos lives.jpg (295 KB, 519x1245) Image search: [Google]
Porthos lives.jpg
295 KB, 519x1245
>>71976332
Don't worry, he gets better.
The scene was planned, but didn't make it into the movie. It is still present in comic and novel adaptations however.
>>
>>71975643
2 > 1 > 6 > 4 > FC > 3 > 5 > JJTrek > Generations > Insurrection > Nemesis > Dogshit > JJTrek: Into awful
>>
>>71976424
So nothing of value gained. So the bad guys in this aren't the Jem Hadar?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.