[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a film with a more stupid, pseudo """""""""deep"""""""""
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 9
File: neondemonsmall.jpg (597 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
neondemonsmall.jpg
597 KB, 800x1067
Has there ever been a film with a more stupid, pseudo """""""""deep""""""""" ending in film history?
>>
Interstellar
>>
No Country For Old Men
>>
There really wasn't anything deep about it. I'm sorry it triggered your insecurities though
>>
Translation:

>"I'm a fucking pleb that has to be spoon fed every piece of information. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen is my favorite movie ever."
>>
>>71906606
That's exactly my point. It feels like refn thinks he's making some big statement when in reality it's just some model eating a thrown up eyeball.
>>
The Dark Knight
Inception
The Usual Suspects
Fight Club
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
>>
>>
>>71906914
Any Kubrick film, really
>>
>>71906609
transformers is the true kino though
>>
>>71906609
Translation:

>I would suck NWR's dick in a hot minute because I worship celebrities that align with my interests and tastes
>>
Everything by Nolan, Aronofsky and Kaufman
>>
It wasn't trying to be deep.

It was how Refn felt when he came to Hollywood and got praised after Drive and felt that he did nothing and got everything.
>>
>>71908326
Explain why the models ate Elle and one of them killed themselves after throwing up an eyeball. What function did any of that serve at all if not to convey some deep message, and if it wasn't trying to do that why the fuck is that the entire culmination of the film.
>>
>>71908772
DUDE HOLLYWOOD AND THE FASHION INDUSTRY CHEWS UP AND SPITS OUT THE IDEALISTIC YOUTH LMAO
>>
>>71908772
>he unironically plotfags
>on /tv/
>>
>>71908832
That's what I thought, it is trying to be a deep metaphor, and it's an awful one which substitutes any kind of real character depth for the easy way out of trying to be as shocking as possible.
>>
Release a torrent already, I can only maintain an erection for so long.
>>
>>71908772
Sometimes possessed people behave irrationally.
>>
I have a question

Who is this neon demon?
>>
>>71906609
your an retard. revenge of the fallen is beter then this movie
>>
>>71908881
>one which substitutes any kind of real character depth for the easy way out of trying to be as shocking as possible.

The raping of the 13 year old and the lesbian sex with a corpse were far worse for this. At least the eating thing was mostly along with the message of the rest of the film.
>>
It's not deep, you fucking retard. It's just fucking beautiful.
>>
>>71906569
>>71906569
Yes, several
>>
A Serious Man was the last truly great deep film
>>
>>71909364
Why do you make excuses for Refn's poor writing?
>>
>>71908772

They ate jesse in the same way tribes will eat their fallen enemies to absorb their strength, Gigi couldn't handle the power. Not that difficult.
>>
>>71908832
>>71908881
Making the previously alluded to metaphors explicit in such a visceral manner was a pretty great twist that served the ideas behind the movie really well.
>>
>>71909613
Subtle enough that I'm not sure whether this is a troll or not tßh
>>
File: 1468300609015.jpg (50 KB, 479x359) Image search: [Google]
1468300609015.jpg
50 KB, 479x359
>>71909528
>A Serious Man
>great or deep
>>
>>71906569
I didn't want Jesse to die either, Anon ;_;
But she obviously went to Heaven because she was pure or something...
>>
>>71906604
go fuck yourself
>>
>>71909687
I knew actually attempting to discuss anything here was pissing into the wind.
>>
I would have seen this movie by now (in a theater) if it wasn't too hot to walk to a bus stop.
>>
Couldn't of picked a worse film to sneak a kebab into, the cinematography was good though
>>
>>71909773
You should've used a relative clause instead of an attributive partuciple.
>>
>>71909613
How is it doing anything other than trying to be as gross as possible to get the reaction it did at Cannes and by extension free publicity. It's totally devoid of any subtlety and the characters are so devoid of any depth that it's hard to take any of it seriously. Why am I supposed to care that 3 terminator models who would never exist irl eat somebody.
>>
File: green-frog-mouth-wide-open[1].jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
green-frog-mouth-wide-open[1].jpg
31 KB, 400x400
>>71909725

>any movie you think of
>great or deep
>>
>>71909883
*participle
>>
>>71909891

Why do you need to care about characters? It's not what this film and many more like it are about.
>>
>>71910006
He was discussing how two people eating somebody is a great metaphor. I'm saying I don't think it is because the pieces that make up the metaphor are totally unbelievable. As I said it feels like the film is beating you over the head with its message with an EPIC SHOCK rather than trying to have any kind of satisfying conclusion.
>>
>>71910006
>Why am I supposed to care that 3 terminator models who would never exist irl eat somebody.

He's not saying that not caring about the characters is the problem, he doesn't care about their actions which is a far bigger problem. If there's no characters worth mentioning and the plot itself is ultimately empty and devoid of intrigue what's left? Pretty images and well trodden symbolism?
>>
>it's a thread on a movie has decent discussion when it's only out in theatres before the kiddies can all download the torrent and meme it to death episode

Every time.
>>
>>71909894
A Serious Man was a bad film though.
>>
ITT: People deliberately misunderstanding a movie that plays it straight from start to finish
>>
>>71909891
>>71910113
I'm not sure how you can watch the movie and think it's about character depth. It was very obviously playing with archetypes, and the way the first two thirds of the movie are set up you are expecting a descent into darkness and loss of innocence from Jessie and for her to become "evil" because of her environment. Although that happened to a slight extent, the movie pulls the rug out from under you and instead of having the innocent angel chewed up and spit out by her environment or having been evil all along its revealed that there are literally essence sucking demons preying on divine beauty in Los Angeles. It lays the contrast between innocent beauty and lustful ugliness bare in the most extreme way imaginable. And this is leaving aside all of the demonic underbelly of Hollywood in real life stuff.
>>
>>71910384
t. cinematically illiterate retard
>>
>>71910399
It didn't play anything straight though, the twist genuinely catches you off guard if you're paying attention.
>>
So the conclusion of this film is a metaphor being presented literally? Seems like the culmination of Refn's adventures in symbolism tbqh
>>
>>71906569
>neon demon
>semen demon
>>
>>71910576
More like a metaphor pushed to its limit that paradoxically manages to fly closer to the truth than most films that strive for realism.
>>
>>71910120

What's left? Plenty of great stuff really. There were great moment's that were magical. There are flaws but I enjoyed the experience regardless. The experience of each scene is I think more important here.
>>
>>71910460
It isn't about character depth. It's about the metaphor you're explaining having exactly zero impact because the "evil environment" doesn't feel organic, it felt totally out of line with the tone of the first 2/3 of the film which while depraved, at least felt within the realms of possibility. When you set up that kind of mostly realistic tone and then kill it by having murder and cannibalism be the closer it leaves you wondering what the fuck happened.
>>
>>71910711
How does it fly closer to the truth?
>>
>>71910769
The movie is a fairy tale from the first frame, in no way was it attempting to be realistic. If you weren't getting Alice in Wonderland vibes from the movie I think you maybe need to watch it again.
>>
>>71910508
She literally says "I ate her"
>>
>>71910769

Film doesn't need to pander to what is realistic. This one didn't even set out like that.
>>
>>71910876
Yes, that is after the twist.
>>
I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. It seemed kinda incoherent and rushed and petered out towards the end. I much prefered OGF.
I would have liked more of the big synth neon modeling scenes, the music was underutilised imo.
>>
File: 1465660006685.jpg (73 KB, 900x672) Image search: [Google]
1465660006685.jpg
73 KB, 900x672
I don't know why but I have no urge to see this whatsoever... I don't know, I've liked Refn's previous work but just can't find it in me to watch this. Maybe it's something about the starring actress.
>>
>>71910851
>>71910886
Whether in a realistic world or not, there have to be elements in a story to empathise with or there is no engagement with an audience. Literally everything that happens to Jessie up until the murder is completely conceivable in real life. The emotional conflict between using others around her for her gain and being used by and scared of those in positions of power over her all felt very grounded in reality and had an impact because it was possible to empathise with.

All of the empathy I felt towards her plight throughout the entire picture died as soon as the stuff at the end happened and I totally stopped caring about it's message because it totally killed my suspension of disbelief for its 'fairy tale' environment.
>>
>>71910508
There is foreshadowing though. When the models first meet Jessie they as her if she is food or sex, and there's the bathroom scene where the model freaks out and starts licking Jessie's blood.

The movie is an update of old Giallo style Italian horror. I don't think Jessie's death is just a metaphor for the fashion industry, I think the models are literally vampires/witches doing fucked up Eliasbeth Bathory shit to stay young.
>>
>>71910810
The way divine beauty is predisposed to bring out the worst instead of the best in the vast majority of people in a culture probably cultivated and perpetuated by demonic creatures for whom amassing power is the only thing.
>>
>>71911031
Again, you seem to fail to grasp the concept that the movie is using extremely familiar tropes to build up the twist. You have the divine innocent princess, the evil stepsisters, the big bad wolf, the prince charming, and the witch among other all telling what is essentially a fairy tale which lulls you into a false sense of security only to have it violently ripped away.
>>
>>71911227
Who's the big bad wolf? Is it the cougar?
>>
>>71906569
The Witch
>>
>>71911064
Foreshadowing maybe, but having the protagonist whose journey has been the focus of the entire film killed in such a quick manner at the climax and then consumed is definitely an unpredictable moment. I don't disagree that they were meant to be literal demonic entities to varying degrees.
>>
>>71911263
I thought Keanu that was the Big Bad Wolf.
>>
>>71911227
>telling what is essentially a fairy tale
>only to have it violently ripped away.

Explain what you mean by this

>which lulls you into a false sense of security

Not sure I understand this either, it feels like she's in danger the whole way through
>>
>>71910508
The twist is that Jesse gets possessed and the others realize that she might be their undoing which they actually brought upon themselves.
>>
File: Elle_snuggling.jpg (57 KB, 600x599) Image search: [Google]
Elle_snuggling.jpg
57 KB, 600x599
>>71911012
that's a cute dog. She also seems to like the other girl a lot.
>>
>>71906569
There is nothing deep about it. It's not even subtle.

>>71906609
Pretty much.
>>
>>71911456
Hence why I called it pseudo deep you dullard, the tone of the film is grandiose when its message isn't
>>
>>71908881
yeah man Refn likes to shock, I still found it wildly entertaining and it's still left me thinking about it days later.

I love the part where Jesse's boyfriends starts arguing with the designer that beauty on the inside is what matters and he says "would you have even looked at her if she wasn't beautiful?" Savage.
>>
>a good thread
>on /tv/

Am I dreaming lads?
>>
>>71906569
>it's "a millenial who hasn't read a book since high school having opinions about what constitutes artistic depth" episode

fuck off
>>
>>71911370
I thought that the ending was meant to violently contrast with the tone of the movie up until that point. We think we are watching an innocent girl metaphorically lose her soul to a hedonistic industry and society but really we are just watching her die and get eaten for real. The way the movie was set up was as an allegorical story where a girl is consumed by evil but then it makes it literal in a manner that highlights the visceral nature that beauty often elicits in us. She may have been in danger the whole way through but the danger felt familiar until the ending comes in and blindsides you.
>>
>>71911383
Interesting thought but I thought that the whole thing was that Jessie possessed a divine, true beauty and innocence that although caused her to become narcissistic and cruel was nothing compared to the evil around her.
>>
>>71911031
>movies must be a dry copy of reality
>>
>>71911012
Well she's probably at least vaguely hypersexual and has casual encounters with her. But she's holding his hand.
>>
>>71911617
Well I don't feel like there was a change in tone, that stayed the same, rather a huge escalation in how far the characters were willing to go. I guess for you this managed to be shocking, but for me it felt like a massive contradiction in the rules that Refn had set up for his world and it totally removed me from the experience. I can see where you're coming from now though.

>>71911725
See above, I'm not saying that it has to be like our reality, but like it's own. It contradicted the rules of its own universe to such a jarring degree that I was taken out of the experience is all.
>>
>>71911658
The question is: Why did it cause her to become a narcissistic cunt so suddenly?
Have you noticed that the Sarah character was wearing an inverted triangle pendant in the scene when she was introduced?
Jesse sees the inverted neon double-triangle in a vision when she passes out and later, during the runway show when she seemingly falls in love with herself, kissing her mirror image. I doubt this was actually part of the "show", which made me guess that the show was actually some sort of transitional ritual.
Ruby and the models had been in league with or possessed by a literal "Neon Demon" the whole time. It wasn't until Ruby realised that Jesse would let no one touch her, apart from herself (cue: Jesse touching herself during the necrophilia sequence), that they came to the conclusion that Jesse could actually be a danger for all of them.

It's a teenage horror flick after all.
>>
>>71911851
I thought of a more concise way of putting it: it starts out as a take on the American fairy tale of fame or the Disney princess take on beauty and then reveals itself to be a dark Brothers Grimm tale where evil exists and will fucking kill and eat you in a heartbeat. I also think that looking for a realistic consistency in a movie as abstract and symbolic as this one might not be the best way to approach it.
>>
>>71911855
I can't dig into this as much as I would like to currently but I think despite what has been said in interviews that Jessie doesn't go through much of a transformation at all. The innocence and purity still shown through after the catwalk scene, she was a bit more of a bitch to people but was still in her own separate world of divinity that wasn't completely obsessed with power, control, or indulging her desires. The separation was still there and it was after she wouldn't embrace the demonic lifestyle, give herself up so easily, and also gained a modicum of self awareness that they decided to kill her.
>>
>>71906604
agree, Coens suck at endings
>>
>>71908022
Hell yeah i would. Hell i'd even suck his wifes femanine dick if he wanted me to.
>>
>>71906630
You don't know what he's thinking at all. The only person who thinks there's some kind of inherent "statement" is you. The movie was a parody of the narcissism of teenage beauty, which is pretty clear if you aren't an idiot. The film itself is an act of narcissism. Every detail shows that. That's what's great about it.
>>
>>71912756
>The only person who thinks there's some kind of inherent "statement" is you.

>The movie was a parody of the narcissism of teenage beauty

Can you not see how these 2 statememts are contradictory lol
>>
>>71906587
Nolan and Refn are hacks, pure and simple.
>>
>>71911855
>>71912286
>>71911658
>>71911383
>>71910508
good points all around, actually.
>>
>>71908772
Fucking tribal cannibalism you idiot. You gain your enemies' strength by eating them.
>girl eats beautiful girl
>famous photo artist wants her to pose for his shoot after she ate her, meaning she "really" got her beauty by consuming her
>other girl throws up fucking raw human meat because it fucks with your digestion
>girl eats the eyeball to become even more beautiful

Not hard.
>>
File: clay-roast.jpg (525 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
clay-roast.jpg
525 KB, 1920x1080
>>71912939
Couldn't she cook the meat, even cannibals should have standards.
>>
>>71913009
That would be the rational thing to do, yes. But what made you think they were being rational?
>>
>>71911855
She was always a narcisstic cunt. That's the point. She seems innocent but you really don't know anything about her character, it's always other people discussing her. When she shows her true colors you realize that she wasn't better than anyone around her, she got lucky with her looks and she knew how to play her cards right.

The audience is meant to share the viewpoint of the amateur guy, believing her to be innocent and different just because she is beautiful. The designer guy even says that in the diner scene.
>>
>>71913009
>hey Gigi, would you look up some spices that go with human meat? I don't want to fuck this up desu

No.
>>
File: neon-demon-gigi.jpg (15 KB, 564x361) Image search: [Google]
neon-demon-gigi.jpg
15 KB, 564x361
>[retch]
>>
>>71909553
This, Gigi was "fake beauty", made so by carving and stuffing herself, as Jesse said.

Sarah didn't care and ate the eyeball to show that these models don't care about each other, only their own beauty.
>>
>>71911310
I think she was killed so quickly was to covey how quickly a model can be used, chewed up and spat out by an ever changing industry that only respects the latest "it" girl.
>>
>>71913111
I disagree, I think she was definitely supposed to be better than those around her. Her precise lack of cuntiness and abundance of light and innocence were what attracted everyone to her and separated her from the rest of the relatively soulless beauty around her.
>>
>>71912939
I think Gigi couldn't handle pure beauty, because she faked hers.
>>
>>71913168
God, that was gross, watching a girl wretch for 1 minute straight after eating popcorn didn't feel great.
>>
>>71913257
Now that you mention it, yeah, that's a good way of seeing it. Didn't notice it.
>>
>>71913289
That scene seemed to drag on forever.
At one point I hoped that Bella Heathcote managed to keep her lunch down during filming since those convulsions and the sounds she produced seemed quite authentic.
>>
>>71913246
She was a 16 year old girl out there in the Industry. Of course, she was afraid and that made her look harmless to others and it really went with her "innocent beauty" look. She used that amateur guy to get higher in the first place. Then she was kinda cuntish to Gigi in the make up room. Then she is LITERALLY kissing herself in the vision. She was always narcisstic, but she was clever enough not to show it to anyone until the very end.
>>
>>71913402
The whole point of the movie was exploring the coveting of intangible beauty. Jessie was definitely supposed to possess a transcendent and pure beauty that separated her from the pack, and it was intrinsically tied to her nature (and incidentally Elle Fanning was pretty perfect for the role).
>>
>>71906569
>>71906587
>>71906604
>>71906876
>>71906914
>>71906954
>>71908051

Asian moot please just put this board out of it's misery
>>
>>71913396
I wonder whether NWR is the type of guy who would have an actress vomit all over herself in order to get a more authentic result.
He IS an admirer of Alejandro Jodorowsky after all, who boasted about allegedly literally raping an actress on camera in order to make a rape scene look real
>>
>>71913972
Jodorowky on the filming of "El Topo":
>"We had never talked to each other. I knew nothing about her. We went to the desert with two other people: the photographer and a technician. No one else. I said, 'I'm not going to rehearse. There will be only one take because it will be impossible to repeat. Roll the cameras only when I signal you to.' Then I told her, 'Pain does not hurt. Hit me.' And she hit me. I said, 'Harder.' And she started to hit me very hard, hard enough to break a rib...I ached for a week. After she had hit me long enough and hard enough to tire her, I said, 'Now it's my turn. Roll the cameras.' And I really...I really...I really raped her. And she screamed."
>>
>>71913009
The one God

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1i2p1HLyVQc
>>
>>71912814
The latter isn't a statement lmao
>>
>>71911851
You're the fucking worst kind of filmgoer.
Movies don't HAVE to be anything because they CAN BE anything.
It's not real. It doesn't need "realism" because it's NOT real, you unimaginative worrywart.

You seem like the type to say "style over substance" is a bad thing, when style IS substance. If I'm mistaken, my apologies, but it's types like you that get obsessed with perceived plot holes or needing intricate explanations. It's not even your fault, but a product of society's overall lack of cultural literacy, you just happen to be a symptom.
>>
>>71914749

You're genuinely the worst kind of filmgoer. Anyone who doesn't share your opinion must be too ignorant or under-educated to share your perspective, or else they'd agree with everything you say, right?
>>
>>71914749
This

>>71914830
Shut up, retard. The adults are talking.
>>
>>71915065

>The adults are talking.

...about the new Refn film? Just because your driver's license says you're an adult now doesn't make it so
>>
File: ohomemduplicado_poster.jpg (2 MB, 2000x2828) Image search: [Google]
ohomemduplicado_poster.jpg
2 MB, 2000x2828
>>71906569
pic related
>>
>>71906569
Bird man.
>>
>>71906569
>>71906630
>>71910191
>>71910711
>>71910886
>>71911227
>>71915263
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9PCxz3KyFc
>>
>>71915348
Epic
>>
>>71914830
Hardly, you can like whatever you like, but when you apply absolutisms about what film has to be, you immediately reduce the decorum of discourse.

Contrast your belief, that movies need to be grounded, with mine. Mine allows for an open ended interpretation. Compare musts vs. possibilities.
The only true limits to what a cinematic experience would be are technological and imaginative ones.

If you pigeonhole your perceptions, you run the risk of limiting film to a commodity of social capital, rather than a possible expression or exploration of wondrous things.
>>
>>71913972
>I wonder whether NWR is the type of guy who would have an actress vomit all over herself in order to get a more authentic result

That'd be hot.
>>
>>71906569
I haven't seen it.

Is it a rip off of Starry Eyes? It seems like a rip off of Starry Eyes.
>>
>>71915348
If he loves Refn so much, he should at least know how to pronounce his middle name. It's not a wind- as in "winding something up" but rather as in "the wind blows".
>>
>>71917709
shit nigga I live in Florida. I saw Neon Demon in an empty theatre, how am I gonna know if I say it right or not
>>
>>71917654
No, it's not. Just watch the movie for fuck's sake. There are way worse ways to spend ten bucks.
>>
>>71917821
Well, now you know.
Also: WATCH THE FUCKIN PUSHER TRILOGY.
>>
>>71917865
I KNOWWWWWWW
>>
>>71917654
Starry Eyes seems... interesting. Will check it. Thanks for mentioning.
>>
>>71906876
Agreed. Endings made to make teenager (or their mental equivalents) orgasm. No real substance.
>>
File: shia_does_it.jpg (76 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
shia_does_it.jpg
76 KB, 620x387
>>71917964
JUST DO IT!
>>
>>71913938
Please leave and never come back.
>>
>>71918047
It's really good, I don't see how Neon Demon could be better.

My main problem watching the trailers is everyone talking about Fanning like she's the hottest chick on Earth. There's not enough suspension of disbelief in me for it.

>>71917826
>ten bucks
It's not the money, it's the investment of time.
>>
>>71918247
>It's not the money, it's the investment of time.
I think you'll get both, your money's and your time's worth. It's not even two hours long. And even if it's not "fookin legend", it's still a fine movie. Beautifully photographed, great music. Here, watch the opening titles:
https://vimeo.com/169261027

>My main problem watching the trailers is everyone talking about Fanning like she's the hottest chick on Earth
She fuckin is though!
... No, maybe not. But she was still the perfect casting choice.
>>
>>71918247
>My main problem watching the trailers is everyone talking about Fanning like she's the hottest chick on Earth. There's not enough suspension of disbelief in me for it.
I had that issue as well, along with my mate I saw it with, until I saw it
When you watch it, her casting makes a lot more sense. I don't know if it'd be a spoiler to try and explain why, so I won't, but you should understand if you watch it
>>
>>71918103
speaking of dutch directors and shia labeef,
Nymphomaniac was good
>>
>>71906569

LE ENDING!!
ENDING!
THE ENDING!
ENDING ENDING!!!!
>>
>>71918247
>My main problem watching the trailers is everyone talking about Fanning like she's the hottest chick on Earth
see:
>>71918411
>>71918517

Absolutely true. No matter if you find her utterly beautiful, just pretty or even rather bland: It's obvious that the movie is more or less tailored to her. She just has exactly the sort of look required for that role.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.