[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Book>Film
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Jack_Torrance.jpg (43 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
Jack_Torrance.jpg
43 KB, 500x313
Let me get this straight.

>The Shining (1980) is considered one of the best movies of all time.

Okay, but what does the film do any better than the book?
There's so much context missing from the film (granted shortened for length) that it's ambiguous to say the least (inb4 2 deep 4 you)

The causes for Jack's inanity, the atmosphere of the Overlook, Danny's Shine and the actual horror of obsession is all missing.
What we get instead is some cheap spoops passed off as 'masterful cinema'.
Also don't get me started on the music.

Plus a list of other issues:

>No wasp scene
>No Jack daddy issues (context)
>Halloran dies (so fucking cheap)
>Halloran not an interesting character
>Tony not a manifestation
>No real motivation for Jack's mental instability (appart from Wendy's shitty acting)
>Wendy's shitty acting.
>No topiary animals. These were sinister in the book, but I can understand why they weren't included.

The only scene that holds any merit are those lifted straight from the book. (Lloyd's Bar).

The only scene that I felt was an improvement was the juxtaposition of Grady's attire to the red bathroom when giving his speech. Although the context of Jack's abuse is missing.

Overall it's not a bad movie, it just could have done so much more. Also hype kills.
>>
File: shelleyduvall4.jpg (121 KB, 620x930) Image search: [Google]
shelleyduvall4.jpg
121 KB, 620x930
no bully on Shelly please
>>
>book
yea no. try learning something about film. its a different medium and inherently better
>>
>>71886157

Well for one thing it's not a book.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fN-Xjpd-qE
>>
>>71886157
>Okay, but what does the film do any better than the book?
asked nobody ever
>>
lol fuck off Stephen King, you're just pissed Kubrick's ambiguity was way better than your shitty black and white "story"
>>
File: 1452470832739.jpg (139 KB, 693x693) Image search: [Google]
1452470832739.jpg
139 KB, 693x693
>liking Stephen King
>>
File: 1400521788392.gif (982 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
1400521788392.gif
982 KB, 320x287
>Okay, but what does the film do any better than the book?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NxHrbfxaLI
>>
>>71886157
>reading the book before watching the movie

pathetic tbqh
>>
>>71886157
Go watch Room 247 on Netflix right now
>>
>>71888379
>he honestly doesnt watch film properly
>>
>>71888795
>>
>>71886157
>don't get me started on the music.
Spotted the pleb Millennial.
>Not recognizing that every horror film since copies the Shining score, because the Shining was the FIRST to do this. Even fucking There Will Be Blood rips it off in parts.
>>
>>71888795
>Room 237
You what m8? That movie's fucking TERRIBLE. It's just a bunch of crazy people trying to show off how big their symbolism dicks are and trying to point out 2deep4u bullshit that clearly wasn't the director's intention.
>>
Maybe if you didn't have such staggering autism you'd be able to enjoy it for what it is, instead of what you wanted it to be.

Did Kubrick ever say his goal was to make a 100% perfect recreation of the book? No. It's an adaptation.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.