[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone ever go to film screenings where you're the youngest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
Anyone ever go to film screenings where you're the youngest person in the theater by a huge margin? Yesterday, I went to a screening of a 35mm print of Umbrellas of Cherbourg that was put on by a branch of the Library of Congress. The average age in the theater had to 70. How do we get younger movie buffs out to these screenings?
>>
File: umbrella 1.png (506 KB, 947x535) Image search: [Google]
umbrella 1.png
506 KB, 947x535
>>71836093
Do you just want a pat on the back/goodboy points for being such a patrician that you viewed this excellent kino. Well, good for you! You are a cineaste, an aesthete, and mommy's good boy! You are the best the board has to offer! Today is YOUR day!
>>
>>71836093
>How do we get

You don't.
>>
>>71836093

I went to a screening of A woman is a woman. I was 22 or so at the time, average age in the theater had to be 50-60.

>>71836185

This

My film nerd friends talk about going to screenings, and very rarely we actually do. But generally someone will torrent shit instead and watch it at their place.
>>
>>71836093
You sound underage.
>>
>>71836270
I'm 23. It'd just be nice to meet people that are within a decade of my age and have similar interests. It's one of the few things that get me out of my house other than work.
>>
Honestly, more people should be like you. #wow
>>
>>71836093
Because only old people go to screenings of old films and the only reason you went was to stroke your desire to be seen as an intellectual on public.
>>
>>71836369
You still sound underage.
>>
>>71836484
>only reason you went was to stroke your desire to be seen as an intellectual on public
No, I like to see movies in theaters on a bigger screen than what I have at home. I mean, why does any one go to the theater? And screenings like the Umbrellas of Cherbourg one don't use digital projectors. It's a nice way to experience a movie.
>>
File: 1465601425897.jpg (128 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1465601425897.jpg
128 KB, 640x640
>>71836369
You sound like a good guy, anon. Memes aside, if you wanted to talk about the film, or Demy, that's cool. But "How can I reach these keeeeds?" is pointless.
>>
>>71836624
>But "How can I reach these keeeeds?" is pointless.
I'm just surprised that I don't see more people my own age at these events. I know labels like Criterion, Masters of Cinema, Arrow, etc. get a good deal of their business from 20/30 somethings. It's not like only old people appreciate older movies.
>>
>>71836093
I've wanted to go to screenings of classic films but all of my friends are le 80s/90s plebs who hate black and white

Should I just go alone? I don't think I've ever gone to see a movie by myself
>>
>>71836705
If you really want, i'm sure you can find a community of film buffs in your area. This isnt the place. Yeah, I enjoy it too, awesome seeing them on the big screen, great sound, etc. But again, what can we say? If you want to talk films, you're in the right place, well kinda. Demy is amazing, check out Lola, Donkey Skin and others. Catherine is wonderful, see Repulsion, Belle de Jour, etc. But if you want to find people to meet up or something, look elsewhere.
>>
>>71836813
>Should I just go alone? I don't think I've ever gone to see a movie by myself
I guess maybe this answers my question.

I go to movies alone all the time. If I want to see something, I just see it.
>>
>>71836813
>Should I just go alone? I don't think I've ever gone to see a movie by myself

Yes, movie friends are overrated. Go and enjoy. TCM brings classic films to commercial cinemas, I recently caught The Maltese Falcon.
>>
>>71836863
>But if you want to find people to meet up or something, look elsewhere.
Yeah, I guess it was just more of a general question. 'How' probably wasn't the right way to ask it. 'Wh'y would have been better. I think >>71836813 is probably the reason. People seem reluctant to go to movies alone. And young people that are into film are less likely to have friends that share that same interest, or at least that has been my experience.
>>
>>71836093
BORN IN LE WRONG GENERATION XD
>>
>>71837058
No. I go to see new movies as well. Read the rest of the thread. I worded the initial question poorly.
>>
>>71836884
Hmm, I might just do that. There's an Alamo Drafthouse near me that does a classic movie brunch thing every Sunday, today it's Yankee Doodle Dandy and next week is The Best Years of Our Lives

I think I'll start going every week, seems fun
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.