[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it about losing the childhood innocence? Then why in the end
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: spir-away-yaho[1].jpg (681 KB, 3250x1757) Image search: [Google]
spir-away-yaho[1].jpg
681 KB, 3250x1757
Is it about losing the childhood innocence?
Then why in the end she's able to get back with her parents?
>>
It's a simple coming of age story with environmental themes you twat
>>
>>71735727
actually, it's about human trafficking and prostitution
>>
>>71735759
>environmental themes
Wait what

>>71735767
The supposed prostitution stuff is a really small part of this movie.
>>
>>71735727
Its about becoming a productive member of the chink society so you can support your parents.

Seriously thats all it is.
>>
>>71735782

that's makes it okay? that's like saying the holocaust was just a small part of ww2
>>
>>71735823
It's not the focus of the movie.
>>
>>71735806

It's a Japanese film you stupid motherfucker.

>>71735767
>prostitution

How?
>>
>>71735767
No it isn't, those themes are there but they are just an element used to reflect the main theme of growing up. Not losing innocence, but growing into an adult and accepting that fact.
>>
>>71735843
The hot springs is a japanese whorehouse
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 200x200
>>71735843
I liked that you asked
>>
>>71735843
You never been to an asian bathhouse?

Nigga there's a reason it's all girls working there.

you never fucking noticed?
>>
>>71736064

Never, but I'm in the U.S. so my exposure to Asian bathhouses is confined to anime and manga.
>>
Why did she befriended a pedophile?
Did she wanted it?
>>
>>71735823
It has no prostitution in it. That's just some dank meme.
>>
>>71735727
In japanese original she's supposed to not remember the whole experience. It isn't exactly bad ending but definitely more understandable and fitting
>>
>>71737489
I'm glad they axed that, I fucking hate those endings.
>>
>>71735727
I don't care what anyone says, this is my favorite movie. Yes nostalgia is a strong factor.
>>
>>71737489
They gave Edge Of Tomorrow the same sort of ending. Glad they didn't go with that.
>>
>>71735767
this is the stupidest shit
>>
>>71737769
Here is an explanation for that from a guy on reddit

>There is a belief in Japan called kamikakushi which is to spend time in the spirit world. When you're in a bad place in your life or have a negative attitude you can be swept away by kami, or spirits, to learn a lesson and reform your ways. In Japan, you return to the normal world but have no memories of your journey. It is up to you whether or not you change yourself from that point forward.
If you do not change your ways, in the afterlife you can become a demon or an evil spirit.
No Face in Spirited Away is pretty much a representation of a person who didn't change after their journey and upon death became a misguided spirit.
All of the movie Spirited Away is pretty much a giant reference to tons of aspects of Shintoism.
Quote from my paper for further clarification :
The ending of the film, as mentioned previously, has a minor difference between the original Japanese version and the English dubbed version. Kamikakushi, mentioned earlier to be the Shinto belief of spending time in the spirit world, is not a western belief and so, accidentally or perhaps intentionally, it is overlooked at the end of the film. Traditionally, a person who spends time in the spirit world comes back to the human world and has no memory of their experience.
1/2
>>
>>71738025
While the ending of the Japanese original film leaves off with Chihiro going back through the tunnel with her parents with the same frightened look from the very beginning of the film, the English dub includes a brief conversation between Chihiro and her father. Her father asks Chihiro about her thoughts on moving to a new town, new school and ultimately having a new life to which Chihiro responds with “I think I can handle it”. While this conversation gives a nice definite ending to the movie and leaves Chihiro off with her memories of the bathhouse, it seems almost out of place after the scene of her returning with the scared expression she had in the beginning. In context, the scene is literally the same scene but the characters end up back at their car instead of inside the spirit world and indeed implies the Japanese perspective that Chihiro doesn’t remember the bathhouse at all. Miyazaki tends to leave his films off open ended so that the audience can infer for themselves the future outcome. Having a solid ending in the English version means that Chihiro will go on to be a strong individual based upon her spirit world experience but the Japanese version, in remaining true to the Shinto idea, leaves the audience wondering whether or not the time in the spirit world has affected Chihiro enough subconsciously to have an effect or if she would perhaps just deviate back to the same pessimistic person she was at the beginning of the film. Kamikakushi as a term can actually refer to a few different experiences such as being taken away due to angering a god, being taken by a demon (Onikakushi), or, as being discussed here, being taken into the spirit world in order to learn a lesson or for the overall improvement of yourself so you do not become a wandering spirit or demon in death.
2/3
>>
>>71738064
For further clarification, one who harbors impurities or has a negative view upon life that isn’t fixed can end up becoming a wandering spirit or demon in death and it is believed that those people are given a second chance through kamikakushi to better themselves but you also have to have the will to improve. Due to forgetting the experience it is up to your own will to improve to be able to change your fate and so the original Japanese version leaves Chihiro’s fate up to her desire to enjoy living in a new place and making the best of the situation.
3/3
>>
>>71738025
I've heard a theory that a lot of Spirited Away is representative of Japanese society, which sounds more likely to me. Chihiro's parents pig out on food in the amusement park and says it's fine because they have a credit card (not long after Chihiro's father mentions that the amusement park must have shut down when the bubble economy popped), and later the bathhouse workers shower No-Face with attention because he keeps giving them money, which turns out to be worthless (if I remember right).
>>
>>71738360
Also, I think maybe that Redditor fixated on the Shintoist aspects because they're exotic to him and stand out. They aren't exotic or special to the Japanese and it's more likely that Miyazaki was using them for other purposes.
>>
first reply decides if I kms
>>
>>71738489
Yes, you should klan yourself. Only you can save the white race.
>>
>>71738360
this is how I interpreted it, a child growing up and having to face the reality of adult japanese society.
>>
>>71739077
I think as far as she was concerned it was about her personal growth. She's not even in middle school yet so "adult society" isn't really relevant, and it's not a literal representation of society.
>>
>>71738467
Yeah he even wrote and posted his paper on Shintoism and Miyazaki, but I don't know if I should post it as it is not me and shit. He writes about ties between Shintoism and all Miyazaki movies, pretty interesting read desu
>>
>>71738534
don't do it anon
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.