[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I actually understood the plot of Sucker Punch AMA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Sucker Punch Plot Diagram.png (27 KB, 1888x1000) Image search: [Google]
Sucker Punch Plot Diagram.png
27 KB, 1888x1000
Post your fan theories.
>>
>>71561633
Textbook Project Monarch
>>
File: Babydoll From 'Sucker Punch'.jpg (2 MB, 5120x3407) Image search: [Google]
Babydoll From 'Sucker Punch'.jpg
2 MB, 5120x3407
>>71561937
I didn't consider this, but I don't think there is any evidence to support your theory.
>>
>>71562272
at work so can't type loads

one sentence in google found me this though

http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/sucker-punch-or-how-to-make-monarch-mind-control-sexy-7-2/
>>
>>71562333

Not convinced, the reality and brothel world do not occur concurrently.

When the Lobotomist's hammer begins to fall at the end of chapter 2, the next scene chronologically, in real world time, is the 'completion of the lobotomy' scene near the end of movie. However, from Babydoll's perspective, the lobotomy which occurs at the end of Chapter 2 is the end of the 'real world', the first level of reality, and the beginning of her constructed world in the brothel, the second level of reality which she is going to live out for the rest of her life. Nearly all of Sucker Punch plays out in Babydoll's mind in a very short amount of 'real world' time; between the moment of Babydoll's lobotomy and the moment we see her close her eyes in the bathroom after the police take Blue, the corrupt orderly, away. [SEE DIAGRAM] This is one of the biggest differences between my theory and other fan theories. Most other fan theories take the brothel to be Babydoll or Sweat Pea's understanding of events in the asylum as they happen, but I maintain that this is not the case.

The constructed world of the brothel is a jumbling and re-association of memories of the previous five days as a means of rationalizing the previous five 'real world' days and of achieving happiness in her post-lobotomy reality. Notice, for example, that while the girls are talking in the barracks of the brothel level of reality Blondie says, "You know, the last three girls that tried [to escape] died." Blondie is talking here about herself, Amber, and Rocket who all did die, in reality, while trying to escape during the five days prior to Babydoll's lobotomy; this is all just happening in a constructed reality, in a damaged brain, that still has a distorted but powerful memory of the events of the previous five days.
>>
>>71562333
>>71563241

In addition to the girls in Babydoll's brothel-reality remembering their own deaths in asylum- reality there is another piece of evidence that tells us brothel-reality is not Babydoll's concurrent construction of asylum-reality as many fan theories or initial viewings would have you believe. In one of the real-world scenes we see Babydoll laying on a bed beside Dr. Gorski, undergoing a "Polish therapy" session. In this scene 'real' Babydoll is crying, which is not something consistent with the idea that she constructs empowered, confident, successful, and happy fantasy worlds when the music stimulus is applied. Finally, reasoning from common sense, we know the brothel world is not concurrent because Babydoll would not have been able to help Sweet Pea escape, light the fire, steal the key etc. in reality if she was under the influence of such a profound and distorted psychosis.

Following Babydoll's lobotomy, the first scene that takes place in her post-lobotomy, constructed, brothel-world is the scene which Sweet Pea is 'acting out' being lobotomized. This scene is important, yet it seemingly doesn't make sense even in the brothel-world. Why would strippers and prostitutes act out a lobotomy on stage in the brothel? This scene occurs as the needle is in Babydolls brain, it shows Babydoll constructing her new reality; the rationalization of going from being in a lobotomy chair (Sweet Pea is dressed as Babydoll and wearing a Babydoll wig) to the constructed world of the brothel. The scene is her 'entering the Matrix', of entering and initially constructing the second level, her post-lobotomy reality.
>>
>>71563241
>>71563283
I'm going to read all this when I get home anon. If it's good I'll rewatch with this as my bias.
>>
>>71563432
I can paste-bin my whole theory if you want.
>>
File: 1466277023227.jpg (74 KB, 582x407) Image search: [Google]
1466277023227.jpg
74 KB, 582x407
>>71561633
Sucker Punch (Extended Cut) was a treatise on the objectification of women as seen through the eyes of various nerd subcultures. The prism by which the movie is shown self reflects to the viewer their own ugliness.

It's a hypnotizing take on psychological trauma. It cleverly turns it into an esoteric, theatrical, fantasy extravaganza. Its own nakedness makes people feel shameful and uncomfortable.

It's a movie that literally hates its own audience and spits on them.

>"“I wanted to rub the human race in its own vomit, and force it to look in the mirror.”" - J.G. Ballard

If that isn't true kino, I don't fucking know what is.
>>
Read it all. I figured this was common knowledge. It wasn't as deep as the dude that wrote it wanted it to be.
>>
>>71563896

There is more to the fantasy battles than just 'Objectification', those scenes are actually ESSENTIAL to the PLOT.

During her five days pre-lobotomy in the asylum Babydoll participates in multiple "Polish therapy" sessions with the psychologist Dr. Gorski. As is explained when Babydoll and her stepfather enter the Theater, Dr. Gorski's Polish Therapy uses music "to [help them] deal with their issues". Babydoll's primary issue is her guilt over inadvertently killing her sister with a gun, and this is what she struggles with during her therapy sessions throughout those five 'real world' days. The music, and the music's strong association with the thoughts of having accidentally killed her sister, are powerful memories and associations that manifest themselves in a slightly distorted, but ultimately beneficial way in Babydoll's constructed brothel-world. When we see Sweet Pea undergoing therapy near the beginning of the movie Dr. Gorski is telling her "You control this world. Let the pain go. Let the hurt go. Let the guilt go. What you are imagining right now, that world you control, can be as real as any pain." We can safely assume the idea of constructing a fantasy world to address 'issues' was a theme of the therapy that was strongly imprinted into Babydoll during the five days pre lobotomy.

For these reasons, the memory/imprint of "Polish therapy" sessions in Babydoll's constructed world manifest as fantasies in which she is extremely skilled, competent, and confident with firearms. In the constructed world Babydoll conquers the pain of killing her sister by becoming someone who would not have accidentally killed her sister through incompetence with a firearm.

Babydoll's fantasy worlds are brought on, in her constructed world of the brothel, through her sub-conscious, distorted remembrance of the music and fantasy-creation theme of the "Polish Therapy" sessions which she became familiar with in the five days prior to her lobotomy.
>>
>>71563931
That's not the full summary, the plot is a bit deeper than what most people believe.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.