[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Zoolander 2 bombed >Huntsman 2 bombed >TMNT 2 bomed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: tarzan.jpg (146 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
tarzan.jpg
146 KB, 1200x720
>Zoolander 2 bombed
>Huntsman 2 bombed
>TMNT 2 bomed
>Alice 2 bombed
>X-Men Apocalypse (kind of) bombed
>Neighbors 2 bombed
>Now You See me 2 bombed
>Warcraft bombed
>ID4 2 bombed
>Tarzan tracking to bomb too

What is happening? Are people just refusing to see bad movies now?

(US box office btw)
>>
>>71455065
Am I the only person who liked Zoolander 2?
>>
File: 1466719202925.png (654 KB, 705x540) Image search: [Google]
1466719202925.png
654 KB, 705x540
I was under the impression that most of the bad movies now target foreign markets such as China as their primary revenue source.
>>
>>71455065
>>Warcraft bombed

Depends on who you're talking to pal
>>
>>71455065
This and the fact there's plenty of alternate forms of entertainment. Netflix really changed the landscape and I prefer watching it and Hulu original series than risk getting shot at a theater for an overpriced flick.
>>
>>71455065
But normies loved it

RT critics are just full jew mode right now
>>
>>71455065

Those are all sequels no one asked for.
>>
People only care for shared universes and animated movies it seems. Or you know, only manchildren go to the theaters.
>>
>>71455144
In the US it's only made like 44 million. Doing pretty well internationally.
>>
>>71455065
Is there a recession in the US you motherfuckers are keeping quiet or something? Can you fucking poorfags go and see a fucking movie already?
>>
You forgot
>ghostbusters recoups its budget on midnight screenings alone and is nominated for best picture
>>
>>71455065
>Are people just refusing to see bad movies now?
BvS did well so no.
>>
>>71455065
the fuck the only one that really bombed was Zoolander 2. Xmen apocalypse made like 500 million

in fact it is hard for movies to bomb since those FUCKING CHINESE see every movie
>>
File: 56737.jpg (291 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
56737.jpg
291 KB, 1366x768
This is your god now.
>>
>>71455184
I don't feel like spending $10+ bucks on 2 hours that I can easily wait a couple months later to DL or stream. TV is far better nowadays.
>>
File: id42.jpg (86 KB, 250x371) Image search: [Google]
id42.jpg
86 KB, 250x371
I thought ID4 2 was supposed to be the Jurassic World of 2016. What happened?

JW didn't have any original cast and it made 1.5 billion. More than the first.
>>
Alice 2 was Rickmans last film.
>>
>>71455302
dinosaurs and Meme Man
>>
>>71455302
I was hoping that this movie would redeem this year's blockbusters by being the only good one that isn't capeshit, but I guess I was wrong.
>>
>>71455302

ID4 was big because of SFX and it was a different time. The ESB and White House blown to fuck? Alien ships? Fuck yeah! Now? No one cares.

Today, SFX is nothing and that type of story won't fly in today's world.
>>
>>71455065
Yes. But Hollywood won't see it that way. To them this is a sign that America just doesn't want to watch movies anymore, so now more than ever they will be appealing to the China market and the films will only get shittier
>>
>>71455065
Even without the bombs this has been a pretty shit year for movies in general.

What has been worthwhile or outstanding? BvS? Zootopia? Fuck.
>>
>>71455464
>that type of story won't fly in today's world
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>71455114
it was good, not great. it had too many jokes that amounted to "remember that joke from the first movie?" I think dumb and dumber too was a way better sequel, but I'll probably rewatch zoolander 2 occasionally
>>
>What is happening? Are people just refusing to see bad movies now?

>See gross for TFA and Civil War

No. People are still seeing shitty movies, except now reviewers are shilling for them and brainwashing audiences to watch this drivel
>>
People are afraid to go to the theaters 'cause it's shoot'em up and chimp out season in the USA.

Also tickets are expensive.
>>
>>71455244
He was speaking domestically. All of those movies bombed when you look at the US take
>>
>>71455661

A reminder if you actually think people are being "bought off" like it's 50s prohibition, you probably believe in flat earth theory and faked moon landings.

Stop being retarded.
>>
>>71455302
The difference is that Independence Day was always a shit movie, and no one wanted to see that garbage again.

It's whole schtick has been done better by others, even that godawful Spielberg WotW.
>>
Should have shown that alien queen running around in the trailer
>>
>>71455227
>mccarthy best actress
>she-boon best supporting
>>
If Ghostbusters bombs then yes
>>
>>71455754
>godawful Spielberg WotW.
what made it godawful?
>>
>>71455909
>Paul Feig best director
>>
More people are becoming like me my friend. If it aint Marvel, it aint touchin my eyes.
>>
File: 1461855786736.jpg (12 KB, 281x281) Image search: [Google]
1461855786736.jpg
12 KB, 281x281
>According to Vox Culture, with this movie, "20th Century Fox desperately hopes it can start its own Star Wars franchise to replace the one it lost to Disney".
>>
>>71455661
This
>>
>>71455147
It's pretty much this. People have so many more forms of entertainment and justifying spending $50+ for a group of 4 is ridiculous.
>>
>>71455227
>>71455955
There's no way it'll be a hit. All of the controversy surrounding it makes it look like shit. You have feminists screaming "ONLY MISOGYNISTS HATE IT! GO SEE THE MOVIE 10 TIMES TO FIGHT THE PATRIARCHY!" but most normies don't want a Ghostbusters remake and don't care about feminism.
>>
>>71455065
Well they continue to flock to MCU crap, so no. Disney has complete control over critics and audiences. They can get them to go see anything and praise it.
>>
>>71455987
>Fox/Paramount/WB movie
>it ain't me starts playing
>>
>>71455184
>think about the movies I've seen in a theater this year
>realize every single one is /co/ related
>>
>>71455753
>top 3 grossing films this year are Disney
>2 of them are kids' movies

Coincidence? I doubt it.
>>
>>71455517

9/11, remember?
>>
>>71456112

>kids' movies

It's not like that's a new thing. A kid's movie is pretty much a guaranteed 3-ticket sale. It's always been that way.
>>
>>71456139
Cloverfield was concieved as 9/11: the creature feature and it was big
>>
>>71455065
America rejects non-kino now.
>>
>>71456139

Actually I meant the pro-nationalism, all band together themes.

It's 2K16, bro, you can't be pro-anything other than mental illness.
>>
People are paying more attention to how a movie is reviewed by the 'experts' than ever before. Likely due to the increased competition and price. No point going to the cinema unless you know it's at least a decent flick.
>>
>>71455065

wait zoolander 2 bombed? i taught it was even

also jfc if a movie doesn't make a million its not "bombed", you have to make it relative to their budget.

another thing is afaik, Tarzan was made to be a "bomb" as a tax write off to result as a loss
>>
>>71455302
ID4 was carried by its charismatic leads, groundbreaking special effetcs for the time, and rousing score. ID4 2 is led by literal whos, CGI you can see in any other blockbuster, and a generic score. Not surprising it didn't catch on. Also, JW had Chris Pratt (hot off Guardians) and dinosaurs (which we don't see too often).
>>
>>71456310
Movie wasn't about one country saving the world

When they do that celebration on the moon they show several flags, not just the US
>>
File: star trek flop.jpg (497 KB, 882x1377) Image search: [Google]
star trek flop.jpg
497 KB, 882x1377
How hard is Star Trek Beyond going to bomb?

I'm predicting anywhere from $170-$300 mill worldwide absolute maximum. It'll end ST movies for a while anyway.
>>
>>71456374
A lot of movies are written off as losses in Hollywood for tax reasons. You really believe Fox when they say that they've never made a profit on Star Wars? Or that you need to make 3 times your budget to even begin to make a profit? It's all bullshit, basically money laundering to keep the execs pockets filled..
>>
>>71455065
Just shit economy coupled more entertainment mediums via the internet (and lack of originality in hollywood). Parting ways with the money it costs to see a movie now compared to a few decades ago is on average more difficult
>>
>>71456383
And Jurassic Park is simply way more popular and influential than Independence Day ever was.

Plus, /tv/ might not remember, but Jurassic World got big on word of mouth. It's tracking was solid, but not groundbreaking, but people kept talking, and as such it blew up.

I remember when it came out. Pretty much all of my friends love it and they fifty shades of cinema taste.
>>
>>71456422
You're lowballing it way too much. It'll probably clock at $450 million worldwide, at minimum.

But I wouldn't be surprised if if turns out to be a surprise darling with the critics, I heard good things about the script and the visuals look nice.
>>
>>>71456468

This. All the movies in OP's list are either sequels, reboots or shitty adaptations.

Looks like people are finally getting fed up with that shit.
>>
People would rather wait until the Blu-ray comes out and watch movies in the comfort of their own homes with on a huge TV with a nice surround sound system. Going to the movies is such a chore these days, especially with the oversaturation of capeshit and movies trying to capture the capeshit vibe. It's all really generic garbage.
>>
>>71456537
>People would rather wait until the Blu-ray rip comes out

Fixed that for you
>>
all those movies have shit reviews

>Zoolander 2 bombed 23%
>Huntsman 2 bombed 16%
>TMNT 2 bomed 37%
>Alice 2 bombed 30%
>X-Men Apocalypse (kind of) bombed 48%
>Neighbors 2 bombed Chloe BOX OFFICE POISON Moretz 62%
>Now You See me 2 bombed 34%
>Warcraft bombed 30%
>ID4 2 bombed 32%
>Tarzan tracking to bomb too

people care about reviews now

They are less likely to go see shit if it has a shit review
>>
File: 1457407821292.gif (13 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
1457407821292.gif
13 KB, 100x100
>>71456422
Why is this set to bomb anyways? It comes out in a few weeks and there's been next to no advertising or promotion for it. Why?
>>
>>71455065
>>Zoolander 2 bombed
sequel from a miracle funny movie, cant get the miracle twice
>>Huntsman 2 bombed
not original, spin off, of a kids movie made for adults? fucking retarded
>>TMNT 2 bomed
sequel of a sequel of a BAD REBOOT, even tmnt2 was better than the first, old one with fucking puppets are better, and kids dont know the turtles like manchildren
>>Alice 2 bombed
sequel, again from a kids animated movie just to try 3d and live action... retarded
>>X-Men Apocalypse (kind of) bombed
xmen50, and from the first one wasnt even good, i cant name a good xmen movie, theyre just making them for keeping the rights, they all suck, including wolverines, theyre so bad for superhero movies
>>Neighbors 2 bombed
sequel of a comedy... cant do that starfox
>>Now You See me 2 bombed
lmao
>>Warcraft bombed
not really, all fans like it ,even if its a 6/10, but yeah its kinda bad
>>ID4 2 bombed
no will smith
>>Tarzan tracking to bomb too
tarzan 100 the reboot of the resequel of the remade, its done to death, even george of the jungle its better

this is easy op
>>
>>71456584
>62%
That's a decent score though.
>>
Even the big capeshit films aren't doing as well. Ultron and Civil War made less than Avengers 1 when everyone was saying they'd make 2 billion.
>>
>>71456591
Reportedly test-screenings were negative and they conducted lenghty reshoots.
>>
>>71455065
>Warcraft bombed
>$160mill budget
>$400mill box office

I didn't even watch it but that's not a bomb.
>>
>>71456613

that's why I put Chloe Box office Poison Moretz
>>
>>71456622
Well I mean, if you reheat the same turd too many times people will eventually catch on

Marvel isn't in the business of making good movies anymore
>>
>>71456622
Nobody expected "Age of Ultron" and "Civil War" to make $2 billion, aside from overexcited fans. Marvel was reportedly aiming at $1,700,000,000 for "Age of Ultron", got $1,400,000,000.

"Civil War" they were just angling for the $1 billion and they got it.
>>
>>71456470
If box office matters at all, Jurassic Park and Independence Day both were absolute smashes. The third and fourth most successful films of the 90s, behind only Star Wars and Titanic. I can understand interest in reviving the property.

Jurassic Park (1993): $900 million
Independence Day (1996): $817.4 million
>>
File: 1466206072700.jpg (48 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1466206072700.jpg
48 KB, 500x750
>>71456422
emo face paint is what passes for a "alien " now.

>are you even trying

The green body paint chick that kirk fucks is meant as a call back to the original and a joke,you don't make the real aliens fucking body painted humans.
>>
>>71456647
It's bombed domestically.
Blizzard is lucky China literally saved their ass.
>>
>>71456622
I think audiences are starting to get sick of capeshit. It won't die anytime soon but over the next few years we're gonna see capeshit box office slowly dwindle and then the capeshit fad will be killed off by a string of duds.
>>
>>71456647
International box office doesn't mean much for studios. If it flops domestically, the franchise dies.
>>
>>71455128
That doesn't make any sense because foreign distributors keep a much larger percentage of the gross than domestics. Movies studios don't keep all the money that a movie grosses- that's why it's called a gross.

American theatres might keep 1/3 of the revenue Chinese theatres get line 2/3
>>
>>71456591

They've also lost fan support - click on any news article, trailer or TV spot and you'll get a littany of fans complaining that Justin Lin is directing or that it uses Beastie Boys music or about the motorcycle. While Star Trek fans don't account for most of the box office (or even much of it), they can create good or bad word of mouth, and largely they seem to have disowned it.

There's even a campaign from the guys who made the Axanar film to boycott the film and the new show.

That all said, I actually thought the Rihanna trailer was quite good, personally. I think the trailers have shown Lin has an eye for some cool space imagery, between the Swarm explosion scene, the new warp effect, and the new space station. Trekkies will hate him regardless, even if he's responsible for revitalising the Fast & Furious franchise with its more watchable entries.
>>
>>71456720
>emo face paint is what passes for a "alien " now.
>now

Completely forget the original Star Trek shows and movies? Even Star Wars has a ton of rubber-forehead, lazy facepaint aliens mixed with all the good designs.
>>
>>71456718
Jurassic Park simply stood the test of time, it had a more lasting impact in pop culture than Independence Day.

Plus, as other people have said, most of what made Independence Day groundbreaking (CGI, mass destruction, big cast) is commonplace nowadays.
>>
>>71455065
I didn't see any of those movies in theaters so the answer to your question op, is yes.
>>
>>71455065
Tmnt was good though. You guys judge too hard on those movies. It was much better than the first one, it's just a fun flick to kick back relax and watch
>>
>>71455963
Not that guy but it was awful. Paper thin characters, the pacing was all fucked up, Based Cruise was the only good thing
>>
>>71456802
There were plenty of practical effects and models used in the first Independence Day, and it also still holds up to today.
>>
>>71456783
ok neat, so the movie should still be roughly the same quality as the JJ ones, cool
>>
>>71456727
It depends on word-of-mouth, really. Marvel is at the height of its popularity, Fox has a short, but loyal audience and low expectations from the studio, DC tried to get too big too fast and it blew up in their faces.

Marvel and Fox will probably keep with their averages at least until 2019, DC could either keep flopping and find its pace.
>>
>>71455065
it costs $20 to see a movie now

fewer people are going to the movies now than they were back in the 1920s.

and somehow movie studios and theaters are making bank.
>>
>>71455065
I took my sister's family to go see TFA when that came out, and after everything was said and done, I spent around 150 dollars. Just to see one fucking movie once. People don't want to spend that kind of money on something that they aren't sure they're going to like. Pretty much all the stuff on that list is either sequels to LITERALLY WHO movies, or sequels to something that nobody asked for.
>>
>>71456647
There is a difference between revenue and profit.

In order to be considered successful a movie must gross at least twice its budget domestically. This is to account for the distributors net and the marketing budget.
>>
File: It's like potery.jpg (35 KB, 681x237) Image search: [Google]
It's like potery.jpg
35 KB, 681x237
>>71455065
Meanwhile, a destined disaster made a miracle beyond any expectation.
>>
>>71456802
Fair enough. And I know it's popular to bash ID4 nowadays. Though it's one of my favorite movies. I acknowledge it isn't a great film, though the three leads (Smith, Goldblum, and Pullman) and David Arnold's score really do wonders. It leaves you feeling satisfied and optimistic.
>>
>>71455065

Absolutely.

Total number of new releases I've watched this year: 0

Tarzan WILL bomb because nobody's asking for that shit, and yet, like the Lone Ranger, some dumb fucking Jew thought it would be a good idea to earn some shekels.

Hollywood deserves to die.
>>
>>71456727

I doubt it. Marvel typically put out watchable flicks. I think they've reached the point of diminishing returns in terms of budget, though. and will have to start cutting back.
>>
>>71455065
Any movie bombing is bad for Hollywood in general but the only movie I really want to bomb this year is Ghostbusters because it's written, produced, and directed by MEN
>>
>>71455114
nah i liked it too although i dont remember much of it now that I think about it.
>>
>>71456790
>lazy facepaint aliens
That was mostly done for budget reasons in the 60s and 70s.Over time it sort of became a meme/trope in sci-fi.
>>
>>71456647
On a $160 million budget it needed to make $320 million domestically in order to be a success.

It made $44 million.
>>
>>71456112
I'm not sure what you're implying here. That kids don't exist?
>>
neighbours 2 probably bombed because it was about feminism for like 3/4 of the movie and really made no sense why as the primary audience were uni aged guys.

the feminism was so hamfisted into the script. neighbours ended with a guys life being ruined and like 15 guys ending up homeless. neighbours 2 ends with all the girls renting the house from seth rogan with money they got from their sorority devouring others because of their feminist attitude.
>>
>>71456909

It depends on the studios ability to wrangle numbers. Did you know that as of 2004, Goodfellas was still in the red?

In the end, we can only speculate as to what is successful and isn't.
>>
>>71456751
except that all the blizdrone fanboys loved it, so there definitely WILL be a sequel at the very least, if not a trilogy.
>>
>>71456946
Most of their movies stay on the $150-180 million scale, which is a lower budget these days. Only the big Avengers-level teams-up got $200 million and beyond.
>>
>>71455486
>they will be appealing to the China market and the films will only get shittier

Exactly.
>>
Why do movies make so little profit relative to the box office performance? I read on wikipedia about some movie that made like 1 billion over a 250 millions budgets and the profit was 100 millions. What the fuck?
>>
>>71456980
Regardless, Star Trek has literally always had facepaint aliens, to the point where it's part of its aesthetic now. Only normies would complain about an alien character in the new movie "not looking alien enough".
>>
>>71455065
That's JUST sad.
>>
The cycles are repeating too closely together.

The internet and democratisation of information and storytelling themes makes the garbage smell worse than it would normally anyway.

Also, you're witnessing gross incompetence at every level of management in this generation of executives. Look at the Sony emails.
They're all retarded now. You don't have any more first or second generation Hollywood execs left with knowledge or passion, just entitled nepotistic cunts and morons.
>>
>>71457024
Profit mainly comes from the domestic box office, and a large share of it goes to the movie theaters showing the movie.
>>
>>71456999
Why would they do that to please blizzard fans if it doesn't put any money in their pockets?

Movies don't keep much of foreign markets box office grosses.
>>
>>71455682
>People are afraid to go to the theaters 'cause it's shoot'em up and chimp out season

This fucking meme...

Your dumb asses are more likely to get hit by a car and killed on the way to the theater than you are getting shot by some beta neckbeard on a shooting spree.
>>
>>71457003

Civil War and GotG were 250M flicks. GotG 2 will cost a fuck ton.
>>
The Jews aren't creative and just want to make the next Iron Man type piece of shit every time.
>>
>>71457024
Marketing costs normally equal to if not more than the budget but are not counted in budget figures.

Studios keep a certain percentage of box office grosses, that's why it's called a gross not a net. It's a lesser cut with foreign markets.
>>
>>71457024
Poor budget management.
Advertising budgets.
Reshoots.
>>
Did now you see me 2 come out already?
>>
>>71455065
Isaac Feldberg
We Got This Covered
June 29, 2016
All the CGI grandeur in the world can't help this Tarzan outrun its uncomfortable, white-savior overtones.

im going to see it. sounds like the critics cant appreciate good tone
>>
>>71456422
I dropped the whole franchise after how bad the second outing was. I imagine others like me did as well.
>>
>>71457073
so long as it makes enough to cover their budget Bliz will keep funding the movies simply because its helping to keep their stale game alive.
The money they will make from people playing the game will be worth the cost of another advertisement of a film
>>
Harry Potter comes out in Nov. OP

if it came out now it would make bank but no need to
>>
All those movies are SJW shitfests that don't take any fucking chances.

Just to use some examples:

>TMNT (1990)
Dark, gritty film in which the ninja turtles use all their weapons and find the Foot Clan (who are humans)
>TMNT 2 (2016)
Film made for 6 year olds in which the turtles don't use any of their ninja weapons and rarely fight the Foot Clan BECAUSE they're humans

>Indepedence Day (1996)
Solid cast of with up and coming mega star Will Smith (late 20's/early 30's at this point) taking the lead. Great practical effects on the green screen that still look great today. Aliens blow up major landmarks.
>ID Resurgence
Film led by 22 year olds (with that guy from Hunger Games) and Chinese girl to make that market happy. CGI shitfest that looks like garbage. Stuff gets destroyed but I don't remember seeing any major landmarks get hit.

Movie ticket prices + same old boring shit that more watered down that ever. This doesn't fly anymore.

They got REAL lucky with TFA.
>>
>>71456607

No will smith x1000 Alex
>>
>>71457219

not luck. Star Wars is a well known brand. people will flock to see it
>>
>>71455237
>BvS did well so no.

Just stop.
>>
>>71455065
>What is happening?

Exactly what Spielberg said would happen several years ago, that one day soon, Hollywood would face a reckoning in the form of a string of severe failures that would force a reshaping of the industry. It's been building for a while, really. There have been a lot of bombs and high-profile "under-performers" in the last 3-4 years, but it's hitting hard this year.

>>71455128

They definitely all *want* to get Chinese money, but it's hit or miss. There's no guarantee they'll even get a movie into the Chinese box office, the theatrical runs are required to be brief, and they get less back per ticket than in the US.
>>
>>71457024
Here's a good example to illustrate this: one of the most notable bombs in recent years, but on paper it seemed like a hit: girl with the dragon tattoo

Production budget = 90 M
Marketing = 129 M
Total cost = $219 M

Domestic Gross = 98 M
Domestic Net = 53 M (what the studio kept from american and canadian theatres)
Foreign Gross = $132M
Foreign Net = $54 M (what the studio kept from internationa theatre chains)
Total Revenue = 108 M

Revenue - Cost = Profit

108 - 219 = $110,000,000 Loss

For those of you wondering, I got the numbers from this wikileaks document when they were calculating if they should make a sequel. Obviously the answer was no:

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/MKTGFIN/Green%20Light%20Memos/GLMEMOS/FY2015/GL%20Meeting%20Spreadsheets/Girl.Fire.x

Note this is not Hollywood accounting, which is something different- that's when a movie tries to make a hit look like a bomb on paper in order to not pay taxes or points on a deal. this is a plain old bomb.
>>
>The Legend of Tarzan isn't half-bad; actually, it's pretty good. Beautifully made and smartly set at the beginning of Belgian King Leopold II's rapacious colonization of the Congo in the 1880s, this is certainly the best live-action Tarzan film in many a decade (which, admittedly, isn't saying much) and offers a well-judged balance of vigorous action and engaging-enough drama. The Hollywood Reporter- Todd McCarthy
>>
>>71457207
>$44 million dom on a $160 million budget plus probably $100 million in marketing

It won't.
>>
>>71457098
They're team-up movies.

I mean stuff like Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man won't be that expensive.
>>
>>71455065
Summer has never really been a great season for movies. It's usually for sleeper hits.
>>
File: WOOOOO.jpg (150 KB, 1318x809) Image search: [Google]
WOOOOO.jpg
150 KB, 1318x809
>>71456802
>>71456858
You fuckers are missing the point this shit bombed because of one reason and one reason only

NO BIG WILLY STYLE
>>
>>71456942
Jungle book did well and nobody was asking for that shit.
>>
>>71457317
>force a reshaping of the industry.

Oh my god, there are SO many comics and manga to reconstruct as movies without cutting corners and homogenizing it for idiots. But given that only idiots pay $10 a ticket to actually go to a theater no wonder they have to dumb it down.

The movie industry collapsed for many reasons, all they have to do is make half decent movies. If it's that hard for people to write good original stories, or compress a story that has already been written into a feature length film, then it's dead. it's just fucking dead
>>
>>71457368
>$100 million in marketing
fucking what
there was 0 marketing. source mofo.
>>
>>71455065
Yes. Most people will probably see them at some point but only torrented.
>>
>>71457419
kids movie tho and nothing else was out
>>
>>71456993
Haha, ya I fucking wonder. It's not hard to tell what was a success despite what the Jew tells you
>>
>>71457370

Spiderman has RDJ. It'll cost just for him.
>>
>>71457257

Yes and no.

Star Wars with the original cast will get everyone to flock to it.

If TFA had a whole new cast, it wouldn't have done half as well.
>>
>>71457428
Nigga that's probably an underestimate. Marketing costs are anywhere from half the budget to twice, so the range is anywhere from $80 m to $320 m above the budget for Warcraft.
>>
>>71457413
When my wife asks me why will smith isn't in the movie, your telling me the studio didn't see it being an issue ??? Bombs awayyyyyyylmao
>>
>>71457500
The entire cast aside from him and arguably Michael Keaton are literally whos, though. So it evens out.
>>
>>71457219
TFA was going to make a shit ton of money just because of the anticipation and Starfans. However, now that they are making a shit ton of them, I would expect some flops.
>>
>>71456993
That's not actually true.
>>
>>71457462

There's also the fact that a lot of the cost is in house.
>>
>>71457594
Thats another misconception.
>>
>>71457580
The mainlines and Han Solo will be succesful.

Rogue One and Boba Fett might underperform.
>>
>>71457587

According the the people who were supposed to get backend deals, it is.

Granted, I think it's bullshit, of course. But the studios massage those numbers like fuck to turn losses to profits and make a profit appear to be a loss to screw people.

My point remains the same. We can speculate to hell and back, but unless there is a detailed leak like the anon did about GWTDT, we'll never know.
>>
>>71457633
Who the fuck wants a Boba Fett movie? I'm so fucking tired of this "cinematic universe" trash
>>
>>71457633
Boba fett would be a hit
>>
>>71457632

Look, it's another movie finance guru.
>>
File: Hmmm.png (4 KB, 204x205) Image search: [Google]
Hmmm.png
4 KB, 204x205
>>71457024
>Why do movies make so little profit

Jew math.

Profits get distributed throughout some of the folks that make the films (directors, actors, etc), to investors. It's in the best interest of the studio Jews to make sure that the profits are kept to a minimum so they don't have to pay as much out to anyone outside of the studio Jews.
>>
>>71456607
>not really, all fans like it
retarded shit post
>>
File: ranoff.jpg (86 KB, 626x790) Image search: [Google]
ranoff.jpg
86 KB, 626x790
>>71457691
>entire soundtrack is MC chris
>>
>>71457691
They found a safer way to make a profit. It won't go away until audiences ignore it
>>
>>71455065

Not at all. If your list is anything to go by, people have lost interest in pointless sequels.
>>
>>71457714
How does buying advertising for a Sony
pictures movie like Ghostbusters on a Sony owned subsidiary put any money in Amy Pascal or Michael lyntons pockets

There's In-house and there's in-house.
>>
Movies are too expensive to take my wife's son to.
>>
>>71455065
>What is happening?
The no singles policy at most joints is backfiring.

Also, lengthy penis inspections and poorly equipped aviaries make the experience too much of a hassle anyways
>>
>>71457326
$129 million in marketing sounds like bullshit to me...
>>
there's a ton of ways for people to entertain themselves now

>stream/torrent every movie/show ever
>video games
>porn
>youtube
>books (lmao)

Even the most normie person uses rottentomatoes to determine if a movie is worth it.
>>
>>71457505
Star Wars is a license to print money because all the beta manchildren will flock to it no matter how shitty it is.
>>
>>71456751
>Pacific Rim
>>
>>71455302

Jurassic World was actually good.

ID 2 was complete shit and was only good ironically. Jeff Goldblum and Data were the only legit good parts. Also ID doesn't really have as much of a legacy or long term appeal as JP.
>>
>>71458090
>jurassic world was actually good
no
>>
>>71457966

>oy vey, the goyim doesn't believe it
>>
>>71458039
I've never once been on rotten tomatoes. I always went to spill for reviews (R.I.P.)
>>
>>71457691
Dude I know turbonerds who literally only collect Bobba Fett shit. Every toy. Every poster. Every costume.

I know people like that aren't common, but I can't imagine them not paying their ticket at least five times. People's love for Star Wars is insane, and I think ya'll are underestimating that.

Even the prequels, which were so "hated" upon release by fans still made a buttload of money. Simply because it's fucking star wars.
>>
>>71458058
Fuck you I liked it. I'm glad my azn bros saved it.
>>
Do you guys ever think will get back to like the 70s or some shit in terms of films made and what people want to see at the box office. Are we (as an audience) fucked mainstream wise? Does this all stem from when Michael Cimino's Heavens Gate bombed (despite critics changing their mind all these years later)...
>>
>>71455237
Go back to spamming BVS threads
>>
>>71458264
>azn
Your redditness is showing
>>
>>71458293
I loved it at the time. Didn't know it was a bomb. I was 10 or 11 I think
>>
>>71458554
Just started using it today in the Oscars diversity thread, glad you like it
>>
>>71457219
TMNT 2016 was pretty great for die hard fans. Bepop and rocksteady, Krang , the mandroid and fucking technodrom! The first one was fucking abysmal but this years atleast had a TMNT fan directing it that knew we wanted turtles and not 90% Megan fox
>>
>>71457802
But Finding Dory, Jurassic World and Star Wars have done very well
>>
What about 2017's tentpoles?

>The Dark Tower
>Wolverine: Weapon X
>Kong: Skull Island
>Beauty and the Beast
>Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur
>Power Rangers
>Ghost in the Shell
>Fast 8
>Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
>Baywatch
>Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
>Bad Boys III
>Wonder Woman
>The Divergent Series: Ascendant
>The Mummy
>World War Z 2
>Kingsman: The Golden Circle
>Transformers: The Last Knight
>Spider-Man: Homecoming
>War for the Planet of the Apes
>Dunkirk
>Jumanji
>Alien: Covenant
>Thor: Ragnarok
>Justice League
>Star Wars: Episode VIII
>The Six Billion Dollar Man
>>
>>71458774
>99% adaptations, sequels and reboots.

I want off this wild ride.
>>
>>71455753
it happens to an extent. Close personal friend of mine used to write reviews for IGN, Collidor, and a few other bigish publications and is now at an even larger one. He can confirm, but only would after lots of drinks. Its complicated but basically it happens all the time to an extent. Depending on the film/game too.
>>
>>71457966
not bullshit can confirm.

they just budget separately so it "doesn't appear" like the film has bombed. as with anything that goes over budget.
>>
>>71458047

Then why did those CGI Star Wars movies make so little $?
>>
>>71458774
This will be a much better year. There are quite a few duds in there, but beauty and the beast is gonna break some records. I wonder what happened to 2016?
>>
>>71458774
Looks like hot garbage.
>>
File: 1449198227232.jpg (108 KB, 456x386) Image search: [Google]
1449198227232.jpg
108 KB, 456x386
>>71455065

>warcraft bombed

When will this meme die?

I actually thought it was good
>>
>>71458774

This is the only one that might not blow.
>>
>>71459171
yea no that shit sucks
>>
>>71455065
>What is happening?

It's simple, people would rather watch Marvel movies
>>
File: 3467845734.jpg (34 KB, 425x328) Image search: [Google]
3467845734.jpg
34 KB, 425x328
>>71458774

>The Dark Tower
success
>Wolverine: Weapon X
success
>Kong: Skull Island
failure
>Beauty and the Beast
failure
>Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur
failure
>Power Rangers
failure
>Ghost in the Shell
failure
>Fast 8
success
>Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
success
>Baywatch
success
>Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
failure
>Bad Boys III
failure
>Wonder Woman
failure
>The Divergent Series: Ascendant
failure
>The Mummy
success
>World War Z 2
failure
>Kingsman: The Golden Circle
success
>Transformers: The Last Knight
success
>Spider-Man: Homecoming
success
success
>Dunkirk
failure
>Jumanji
failure
>Alien: Covenant
success
>Thor: Ragnarok
success
>Justice League
success
>Star Wars: Episode VIII
success
>The Six Billion Dollar Man
failure
>>
File: Con_Air_2_66530.jpg (25 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
Con_Air_2_66530.jpg
25 KB, 600x300
>>71458774
>>71458851
How can we stop it?

I don't even go to the cinema anymore
>>
>>71458774
>>The Dark Tower
Diversity tower....dropped.
>>Wolverine: Weapon X
Capeshit...dropped.
>>Kong: Skull Island
Another fucking King Kong movie? Really? No thanks.
>>Beauty and the Beast
Another fucking one of these? Pass.
>>Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur
More diversity casting. Dropped.
>>Power Rangers
Kidshit. Dropped.
>>Ghost in the Shell
White Jew chick doing Jap anime. Dropped.
>>Fast 8
Pass.
>>Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
I'll probably see this one....at least it should have good visuals and a decent soundtrack.
>>Baywatch
Fuck you!
>>Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
More kid shit.
>>Bad Boys III
Fuck you, again.
>>Wonder Woman
Capeshit. Dropped.
>>The Divergent Series: Ascendant
No, thanks.
>>The Mummy
Not again.
>>World War Z 2
No thanks. First one sucked ass.
>>Kingsman: The Golden Circle
British cuck film.
>>Transformers: The Last Knight
Fuck you.
>>Spider-Man: Homecoming
Capeshit garbage.
>>War for the Planet of the Apes
Not again.
>>Dunkirk
Pass.
>>Jumanji
Fuck you.
>>Alien: Covenant
More hot garbage from Scott. Pass.
>>Thor: Ragnarok
Capeshit, fuck you.
>>Justice League
Fuck you.
>>Star Wars: Episode VIII
Diversity wars can suck an ass.
>>The Six Billion Dollar Man
Just....fuck you.
2017 looks like it's going to suck goat ass just like this year did....
>>
>>71459342
lol beauty and the beast is going to be a massive hit
>>
>>71458774
Planet of the Apes and Alien are the only ones I'm interested in.
>>
File: nope.jpg (107 KB, 1303x591) Image search: [Google]
nope.jpg
107 KB, 1303x591
>>71455220
I could get a blowjob for the price of 2 tickets. I'll take the blowjob, every time.
>>
>>71455065
>they're all sequels
My god... we're evolving!
>>
>>71458774
Jesus it's complete absolute fucking trash, all of it.
>>
>>71459412
>Another fucking King Kong movie?
ELEVEN YEARS
>>
Part of the problem is that too many movies are getting released on the same month/day
>>
File: louis.jpg (67 KB, 558x750) Image search: [Google]
louis.jpg
67 KB, 558x750
>>71459729
>TWENTY TWO FUCKING DOLLARS for an IMAX ticket

And I bet it's a LIEmax too. My genuine IMAX theater is only $12.25 for a 3D show. You New Yorkers are getting gypped
>>
File: social-share-v2.jpg (158 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
social-share-v2.jpg
158 KB, 1200x630
This bombed too and it's the best movie of the year so far.
>>
>>71458774
I'm actually looking forward to Planet of the Apes. The first two of the trilogy were very good, the best blockbusters in a while. I hope the last one closes things out on a solid note.
>>
>>71460117
*jewed
>>
>>71460122
Such a shame. It didnt deserve it desu
>>
>>71460122
Are movies like that ever blockbusters though?
>>
>>71455065

Are you high? Marvel launches cape shit movies like crazy and while most are not "bad" one could argue most are mediocre and forgettable as well... and those sell pretty good.

Granted TMNT and by extension TMNT 2 or the huntsman are worse than the average bad movie but Apocalypse was average, Zoolander was decent and even Alice was not that bad.

Warcraft was way better than expected too, it's no LOTR, it's no HP, but it easily tops Eragon, Narnia and even The Hobbit trilogy.

Quality and how movies do at the box office are not related.
>>
>>71458774
Only 2 of these are not based on existing properties. And those 2 are both based on historical events.
>>
>>71460141
They were mediocre
>>
File: 1463107928607.jpg (65 KB, 630x403) Image search: [Google]
1463107928607.jpg
65 KB, 630x403
>>71458635
I'm really sad that TMNT 2 hasn't done better. Other than Casey Jones being total shit it was everything TMNT fans have been asking for (unless you count a hard R adaptation of the comics)

I loved it. Felt like I was 5 years old again and had a great time.
>>
>>71460217

they rarely are, it just sucks that this is the writer/director's second film, both of which have been great, and it didn't even make it's budget back.
>>
File: Jordana-Brewster.jpg (291 KB, 697x1023) Image search: [Google]
Jordana-Brewster.jpg
291 KB, 697x1023
>>71458774

>The Dark Tower - Bomb
>Wolverine: Weapon X - Moderate
>Kong: Skull Island - Moderate
>Beauty and the Beast - Success
>Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur - huge bomb
>Power Rangers - moderate to surprise hit
>Ghost in the Shell - moderate but Lucy left a bad taste
>Fast 8 - success
>Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - success
>Bayswater - bomb but DVD hit
>Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - moderate to success. It's been a while since the last film.
>Bad Boys III - success
>Wonder Woman - oh man, wild card. I'm going to say moderate to success
>The Divergent Series: Ascendant - bomb
>The Mummy - success
>World War Z 2 - moderate. Plebs still love TWD
>Kingsman: The Golden Circle - bomb
>Transformers: The Last Knight - success but AoE was the worst of all so it may underperform
>Spider-Man: Homecoming - huge success
>War for the Planet of the Apes - success
>Dunkirk - bomb
>Jumanji - bomb
>Alien: Covenant - success
>Thor: Ragnarok - moderate to success. People don't give a shit about Thor but Hulk may help
>Justice League - success
>Star Wars: Episode VIII - success
>The Six Billion Dollar Man - bomb
>>
>>71456715
Average word of mouth and the Mayweather-Pacquaio fight which was boring as shit deflated Age of Ultron. We'll see if Avengers 3/4 can get to Jurassic World levels.
>>
File: 2015_movies_profit.png (173 KB, 1427x1536) Image search: [Google]
2015_movies_profit.png
173 KB, 1427x1536
>>71457326
And here's the reported numbers from the studios, compiled by Deadline of the most profitable 2015 movies
>>
>>71460888
I skipped AoU because Marvel released so many clips and trailers I felt like I had already watched the entire film. Same thing happened with civil war. They need to calm down on their marketing.
>>
>>71460141
Who knows. They had a trio of writers on the first 2 and two of those left to join Cameron's Avatar sequels.
>>
>>71460725
I agree. He's one of my favorite directors working. He will likely get some awards which is some consolation
>>
>>71460976
What's odd is that they release cool moments in TV clips right as opening weekend is closing up is weird. 40 different TV clip ads is way too much.
>>
>>71456422
I think Yelchin's death might make people more interested in seeing it
>>
>>71458774

just kill me now famalam
>>
>>71460771
p. Accurate except kingsman. I have a younger brother and his generation really loved it. I think they will carry it.
>>
>>71455237

BvS kind of bombed too when you factor its huge budget
>>
File: KING GODS.png (2 MB, 1195x1763) Image search: [Google]
KING GODS.png
2 MB, 1195x1763
>>71455065

HOWEVER
>>
>>71457966
It never ceases to amaze me how fucking huge the advertising industry is. It's fucking crazy how much money people pay for others to show off their shit.
>>
>>71457966
When a single 30 second spot costs like 500k, 129m isn't total bullshit
>>
>>71461224
Maybe. I thought Kingsmen looked boring and have never heard a single person talk about it, but maybe I'm too old to "get it". Back in my day, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.
>>
>>71455065
just watched ID4 2. holy shit it was bad.
>>
>>71460063
And?

How many fucking "Wizard of Oz" movies do we need? It's been damn near 100 since that shit came out...
>>
>>71461803
This has been the worst year for movies I can ever remember, not a great year for tv either
>>
>>71456761
This. People think China is the savior, but in reality, they're only barely doubling the studio's money, if not just giving them another 50% return on domestic gross.
>>
>>71455963
I liked it. Except for crazy tim robbins. Fuck that part.
>>
File: 1451417171875.gif (3 MB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
1451417171875.gif
3 MB, 359x202
>>71458090
>Jurassic World was actually good.
I'll give JW better than ID2, but not "good".

Complete shlock, and pissly written. Literally just action and shoestring plot to tie together ideas for people shitting their pants with various dinosaurs in their certain scene.
>>
>>71456720
star trek is basically "what's wrong with your face: the franchise"
hell - vulcans are just humans with elf ears, and romulans are just vulcans with worse haircuts and maybe some forehead extrusion.
>>
>>71459162
production budget: $160mil
marketing budget: ~$100mil

domestic box office: $40 mil
studio gets 50% ($20 mil)
foreign box office: $360 mil
studio gets 25% ($90 mil)

so they're probably at a net loss of around $130 million atm
>>
>>71460973
>Minions made almost the same Cash on Cash ratio as SW:TFA

Jesus christ how cancerous
>>
>>71463403

do not underestimate the power of kids. i'm surprised why my son is crazy over minions when i can't even understand most of the time what they were saying. even other parents are confused of this phenomenon
>>
>>71463403
If you think that in anyway is a comparative measure of their profitability you will be disappointed.
>>
>>71463652
The math is. Tell me why it's not, because I'm drunk and the math is solid.
>>
>>71455987
Faggot
>>
>>71455302
it had that one chink scientist
>>
>>71462963
But isn't Legendary practically owned by the Chinese company Wanda, thus giving them a bigger cut? Apparently 80 of the 100-something theaters showing it on opening week in China were theirs.
>>
>>71455065
Movies are just getting stale now. Videogames and virtual reality are the next generation's kino. Even tv is surpassing movies in kinoability.
>>
File: 1447799888591.jpg (12 KB, 171x140) Image search: [Google]
1447799888591.jpg
12 KB, 171x140
>>71456514
Two words: dirt bike
>>
>>71463982
It looks better and more in character than Picard's fucking dune buggy. That was put in there because Patrick Stewart is a car fan, not Picard. It was totally out of character.

At least Kirk in the reboot movies is established as a fan of vintage 20th century vehicles like his stepfather's car.
>>
>>71464431
That car scene with Kirk as a kid was dumb. It had no business being in the movie besides establishing that Kirk was "rebellious" or whatever. That character trait could have been established in other ways, but since it's a modern movie made for a wider audience and not for core Trekkies, they had to make the scene simple and relatable so that the dumb masses would see it and understand what the fuck was happening. Oh, and they played a Beastie Boys song, which was fine for the scene they created, but doesn't make sense in general for a Star Trek movie. Plus I'm pretty sure the rest of the film had a more traditional score (that I actually loved).

I let it slide, though, because Kirk was on Earth and you never see something like that again for the rest of the movie.

The dirt bike, like the dune buggy, just doesn't make any sense. It just seems like another gimmick to appeal to people that like Fast and Furious movies. Then again, I guess that makes more sense now since Justin Lin directed the movie.
>>
>>71458235
>spill

why did you have to remind me man
>>
>>71457184
this Into Darkness raped and killed any and all interest I had in Star Trek and I'd been a my entire life
>>
>>71455065
>shit movies bombed
what a surprise
>>
>>71460539
Yeah I like it but it didn't seem as "fun" as the 1st one was when the best part of the movie is Tyler Perry you know something is wrong
>>
File: 1466492627449.gif (933 KB, 343x284) Image search: [Google]
1466492627449.gif
933 KB, 343x284
>>71458090
>Jurassic World was actually good.

I fucking hate you and I don't even know you. Fuck you, you fucking fucker.
>>
>>71455279
>not having a harkins theater in your town
$6 with a student Id, and the seats recline and are big and comfy. I go all the time its a 5 min walk from my uni.
>>
>>71455065

You think this year is bad, look at 2017s summer slate. It's going to be a slaughter of bombs.
>>
File: 1439286038578.jpg (113 KB, 505x470) Image search: [Google]
1439286038578.jpg
113 KB, 505x470
>>71456062
As much as I want to agree with you, you're going to be wrong.

They'll be teaching this to students in marketing 101.

Anyway, we know Ghostbusters is going to be disgustingly bad. It coasts on the 'all-female cast' gimmick. But that doesn't matter. Watch as all the critics claim that even though the movie is 'mediocre, the gender politics make it a must see.

They won't even take stabs at the film. They will lightly swat at it from a distance. It will be fresh on RT.
>>
>>71455302
JW has what IDR doesn't have, FUN
>>
>>71455598
>I think dumb and dumber too was a way better sequel
Wew
Fucking
Lad
>>
>>71455065

There really was no room for many movies this summer to make money if they didn't open big. Not even the counter programming movies did that well besides conjuring 2. It's all up to suicide squad to salvage the summer box office.
>>
>>71464773
I don't know if I'd pin the blame on Lin for this or just Paramount. I'm sure there's a normie quota they pressure the creative team into achieving. The Swarm, the space colony thing that looks like DS9, the space shots in general look pretty cool. The bridge also is way less Apple-Store-y then JJ's Treks. I think Lin seems to be responsible for a lot of good.

Anyway, from the promo materials it looks like the dirt bike comes from a derelict starship from pre-Enterprise NX days, so it has some in-universe reasoning.
>>
>>71465444
>from the promo materials it looks like the dirt bike comes from a derelict starship from pre-Enterprise NX days, so it has some in-universe reasoning

Well if that's the case, then there's one less thing for me to nit pick.

I'll still watch the movie, just for shits and giggles. Plus I like watching Redlettermedia's reviews, so watching it will give me more context.

I'm still waiting for the TFA Plinkett review though. Anyone have any clue as to when it's coming out?
>>
File: 1461435801100.jpg (220 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1461435801100.jpg
220 KB, 800x800
ATTENTION WHITE PEOPLE MOVIES ARE BOMBING

ADD MORE NIGGERS ASAP

CALL IDRIS ELBA
>>
>>71465546

No, they just need to replace the token black with a token Asian tbqf
>>
>>71455753
>A reminder if you actually think people are being "bought off" like it's 50s prohibition, you probably believe in flat earth theory and faked moon landings.

Normalfags in a fucking sentence. Bravo.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.