[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone answer why exactly this show is the most popular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: c9lzmv4d3mgzpnyntz7s[1].jpg (64 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
c9lzmv4d3mgzpnyntz7s[1].jpg
64 KB, 800x450
Can someone answer why exactly this show is the most popular in television history?

It's a show about fantasy shit, which usually is only liked by nerds. But everyone on the internet, real life, everyone on Earth watches and is obsessed by it

Why?
>>
File: 1465494581861.jpg (106 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1465494581861.jpg
106 KB, 554x439
>>71258898
>great lore
>dude incest lmao
>stronk womyn
>shock value
>hbo
>>
>most popular in television history

The Walking Dead is much more popular idiot
>>
>>71258898
Nerd have been right all along. Jocks/douchebags/normie shit will fade away from thie earth.
>>
>>71258967
I heard it's been lacking nearly all of that since season 2
>>
>>71258898
I can't speak to the show, I stopped watching years ago; but the books are designed to be appealing to literally anyone who picks them up. George R.R. Martin was a television writer and knows how to satisfy different demographics without alienating others.
>>
>>71258898
>sex and violence
>easily understood generic medieval fantasy setting
>cool one liners and likeable/hateable characters
>cliches everywhere
>TWEESTS every season
>anyone can supposedly die which heightens the tension
>decently deep lore for those that want to look for it, without making it a requirement to enjoy the show

It'd be more surprising if it weren't popular.
>>
tits, shock violence, "grey morality" really-makes-you-think-tier shit
>>
>>71259145
Because Zombies is something totally alien to fantasy lovers? The people I started role-playing with in the late 80s loved fantasy movies and zombie flicks. It's part of the Hobby/nerd culture. Same with superhero flicks.

All the things we have been liking since back then are taking over now.
>>
>>71259274
...he's just saying that GoT isn't the most popular show on television, sperg.
>>
Fantasy has been mainstream since the LOTR movies.
>>
>>71258898
seriousanswer:

it has a plot that actually just keeps building and building.

most stories become episodic to some extent, but this just keeps topping itself. all credit to GRRM. that's what marks it out from other shows with great characters, stories or production values.
>>
>>71259145
no it's not lol, even half its fanbase hates the shitty writing by now
>>
It's literally for stupid people to enjoy. Stupid people greatly outnumber not stupid people.
>>
>>71259145
TWD has better ratings, but thanks to the internet GoT is more widely watched.
>>
>>71259366
And yet all the people who hate keep watching week after week.

Just look at /tv/.
>>
>>71258898
GTFO
>>
>>71259411
Wrong

GoT is the most pirated show, but TWD is a close second. Tons of people watch TWD online too.
>>
>>71258898
I don't know because I hate it to. I think its a group mentality thing where only 25 percent really like it and the rest "like" it because they're told its cool to like.
>>
>>71259323
I'm not a TV executive, so I don't care, bud.
>>
>>71258898
>HBO
>decent, easy to grasp story
>attractive cast with some good actors
>violence
>sex
>quips
>unexpected deaths
>clifffhangers
>suspense
Normies have kind of ruinednthe last 3
>>
>>71259145
this

I know like 3 people who watch GoT.

Literally almost everyone I know watches TWD. Friends, family, co-workers. Including both nerds and normies. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>71259427
talking about twd, literally all my friends have quit watching it cause it's shit, only reason i still watch is too much free time

didn't know twd had better ratings, only normies watch tv tho and GOT is most pirated show ever
>>
Do you guys seriously think that Got and Walking Dead are the most popular shows in history? You all realize that there used to be only THREE goddamn tv networks? Right? Im pretty sure shows like MASH and Roots would get like over 50 million viewers, and you guys think that around 20 or 30 mil is the highest rated thing ever?
>>
Because it's a really good book made to a really good show in the first season. It's also kinda edgy and it kept the quality and happenings for the next two seasons. Slowly it went to shit and started pandering to feminists. At the same time it was already the most popular show ever and apparently by pandering to the popular opinions while being shit is the way to be the most popular show ever.

This is the actual answer.
>>
>>71258898
People love sex, they love violence and love perversion. This love makes the susceptible to sin. Its all in The Bible which ironically as lots of sex and violence too.

Society has just reached a degeneracy capable of supporting this show whereas in the past it would have been banned long ago.

The main thing with it though is it DOES have enough substance to keep people from feeling guilty, its like really graphic and gross but your brain says all of the scheming, backstabbing and deepest lore make it okay because you are also using your brain.
>>
>>71259631
>MASH and Roots would get like over 50 million viewers,

They didn't.

You know you could easily look this shit up.
>>
>>71259690
Or you could easily just say how many viewers older shows would get if you apparently know
>>
>>71259822
Both shows got a combined viewership about about three people. If you don't believe me, you are more than welcome to look it up yourself and correct me.

Lazy retard.
>>
>>71259883
>I know something you dont know
>I dont know if im right and i dont need to prove anything or tell you why im right
thanks friend
>>
Breaking Bad
>>
>>71260086
The Wire
>>
>>71260017
I did prove I'm right. I told you how many people watched, since I know.

If you don't believe it, I offered you the chance to prove it. You choose not to.

That's on you, fuckboy.
>>
>>71260275
can i suck your cock now?
>>
>>71260275
That's not only the biggest audience to date for the Super Bowl, but the biggest audience for a televised event in the U.S. ever -- barely knocking off the finale of CBS' "MASH," which averaged almost 106 million viewers when it ran in 1983.Feb 8, 2010

>about about 3 people
>>
>>71258898
Because it is a good show?

Oh shit...I said something positive...uh...uh

Dabid and dan ruined it...uh...uh....feminist powerfantasy....uh shit...what else? (dont hurt me 4chan)...le witty dwarf...not like books, Stannis isnt dead....

There? Do you still love me /tv/?
>>
>>71260390
No. Everyone with a brain realizes that it was really good in the beginning and complete shit now.
>>
>>71260494
I think you are being a contrarian faggot if you think the show is "complete shit", now

That isnt a rational criticism.
>>
>>71258967
>>great lore

Nope. Maybe a decent backstory. The lore is shit.

ice zombies...children of the forest..it's embarrassing
>>
>>71260494
Why cant someone just have a basic opinion that it is still good? /tv/ literally shitposts those opinions to oblivion, they never allow moderate praise for doing anything right

This is why the board is autistic
>>
>>71260575
>lore is shit

You know, I really bet you read past the first book. You sound really versed in the lore
>>
>>71260537
No, I'm being a rational being with some sense when I realize that the show is complete shit now.

I also get paid for my critiques :^)
>>
>>71260579
People can have that opinion. Lot of people have, it's just a stupid opinion that isn't grounded in reality in anyway and doesn't have anything going for it.

People can think that Hillary or Trump are good choices for the most important post in the world. Lot of people do, doesn't make it a good opinion.
>>
File: 1466109374018.jpg (88 KB, 800x613) Image search: [Google]
1466109374018.jpg
88 KB, 800x613
>>71260617
>It's literally for stupid people to enjoy. Stupid people greatly outnumber not stupid people.

Yeah harry potter is your second favorite book to. fuck off you piece of shit.

The books suck almost as much as the show does.
>>
>>71260575
How are the Children of the Forest "bad lore". Every fantasy series has a otherworldly progenitor race before the rise of man and the death of magic.

It's fantasy's version of evolution.
>>
>>71258898
the fantasy shit takes the backseat, its not in-your-face fantasy where everybodys a wizard hurling fireballs at eachother. The focus is political intrigue and the drama that follows and normies eat that shit up. Also stronk womyn
>>
>>71260727
>I'm just here to hurl poorly-conceived insults at people who enjoy something I clearly have not read. You should probably just ignore me as I have nothing of worth to contribute to the thread, and am not actually interested in discussion of any kind.

Oh, okay.
>>
>>71258898

The show has collected the walking dead fanbase. They will eat up any shit the show gives them and consider it great.
>>
>>71260575
The lore is great, it's just been very little of it these last seasons. I mean yes, we now get to know of children of the forest and all that, but it's told very bluntly and rushed, but the whole feeling of characters talking about the world, adding on top of what they've already established has really been diminished. What did we learn about Dorne when we were there? Any of their culture? Historical heroes? Past politics? Customs? We got to know jack shit. And this goes for the rest of the plotlines too. We haven't learned anything interesting about the north for so long. I get that they need to streamline characters and whatever, but the lack of minor characters that can live and show the expanded world is really missing now. The north is now percieved as The wall, Winterfell, a frozen empty tundra between those places, and the only exchanges we see is Jon and Sansa in a tent. Where are all teh minor houses represented? Yes, we got to visit a few of them, but the nthey were just poof, gone.
We did get some nice lore from the faceless men, I want more of that shit. The world is really starting to now feel mysterious or like there's more to learn now, because they're so focused on the main characters and driving the plot forward. Feels cheap desu.
>>
>>71260709
>people can have an opinion that is different from mine
>but it is a shit opinion

Jesus you sound like a retard, did you just get out of middle school and just learned how to shitpost?
>>
>>71260727
What in the fuck does Harry Potter have to do with anything?
>>
>>71260727
You sound like the embodiment of what is wrong with these boards

>you cant like this its stupid
>your opinion is trash
>my opinion is fine because I dislike something

Besides the autists, literal retards and ten year old faggots, no actual adult argues like this
>>
>>71260727
What do you enjoy anon?

Let me just say it sucks because I dislike it
Haha see? Look how smart my opinion is
>>
>>71260727

Not liking the most popular tv show ever.

What a fucking edgelord
>>
>>71260727

This show is widely considered the great television show ever created by critics and general viewers alike.
>>
>>71260727

Haha look I post on 4chan and i'm a contrarian wow so cool
>>
>>71260709
Your tastes in television or film arent really the same types of opinions that can be compared to politicians and who you prefer. Art never can be objective, it isnt "bad" or "good", you can like whatever the fuck you want to. Only fedora tipping edgelords subscribe to that raging autism that one show is better than another show...like there is some fucking meter or gauge of "goodness".
>>
>>71260727
Then dont read it or watch
>>
File: 1456356725667.gif (2 MB, 255x234) Image search: [Google]
1456356725667.gif
2 MB, 255x234
>>71260727

>Dislike GOT
>to appear cool on /tv/

what a pleb.
>>
>>71259485
Soooo how is what he said wrong? You just agreed with him
>>
>>71258898
The politics, characters, and drama tricked normies into watching it. The fantasy elements only became prominent in the later seasons, before that most of the focus was on a fictional medieval style war.

After the first white walker attack, there is 9 hours and 50 minutes of political drama before you see a single dragon, more than enough to hook people.
>>
I never realized how much of a group of delusional manbabbies the GoT fanbase was until I read this thread... depressing tbqh, can't believe how low this board has fallen thanks to reddit
>>
>>71262799
Who cares? Your world is vanishing, this is the future.
>>
>>71262799
Stop projecting
>>
WHEN ARE YOU RETARDS GOING TO CALM DOWN???

I'm a normie I have a wife, a kid, a mortgage, I work in logistics.
I enjoy tv and talking about to. Please take your hate back to /pol/ or wherever you came from.
>>
>>71262799
I found it funny how someone brought up that TWD is more popular and all of them sperged out.

>GoT is the most pirated show!!!!!!
So what you are saying is GoT's main audience is a bunch of losers who refuse to actually pay for HBO to help out the show? Also TWD doubles it in TV ratings that is a fact and it is probably the second most pirated show, probably not to far behind GoT.
>>
>>71263413
>have a wife
>pay a mortgage
>go on 4chan

One of these things is not like the other
>>
>>71263443

HBO isn't available in every country.

GoT is a billion times more popular than walking dead in Asia, Africa and South America.
>>
>>71263443
There is no TWD versus GoT. Audiences overlap to the nth degree.
>>
>>71263659
no one cares about those countries though
>>
>>71263443
>triggered guy pretends he's not the guy who originally brought up TWD

Embarrassing.
>>
>>71263443
I remember reading a couple years ago TWD's total viewership when you factor in everything is around 35 million. And that wasn't counting piracy.
>>
>>71264022
Not even that guy but

>Angry GoT fan gets mad that someone said TWD (an even shittier show) gets 2x bigger ratings than GoT, and more normies watch it

Kinda funny Senpai
>>
>>71263443
There is something wrong with you if you are gonna pay for HBO's shit service just to justify not pirating the ONE and only show you bought that subscription for...

Wage slaves do some really neat mental gymnastics to not make their logic sound fucking retarded
>>
File: wb_gateway_lotrchess75.jpg (134 KB, 630x300) Image search: [Google]
wb_gateway_lotrchess75.jpg
134 KB, 630x300
>>71258898
>It's a show about fantasy shit, which usually is only liked by nerds
>>
>>71264122

GoT is more popular than TWD. Literally no one watches TD except Amerifats.
>>
because this guy
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.