[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marathoning the first season of HBO's Rome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: fjhjf.jpg (14 KB, 227x300) Image search: [Google]
fjhjf.jpg
14 KB, 227x300
I just want to ask what the fuck? It's good and all, but you silly idiots told me it was better than Game of Thrones. You only plainly say it's oh so much better "before neo-HBO and the SJREDDITORS!" Well I'm on episode 7 and I predict that it's not going to get much different from here on out. Again, it's good, but it's really not good to say it's better than GoT (certainly not GoT's first 2 seasons which is the fair comparison since Rome got cut short).
>>
>>71194572
Maybe it's not better, but its beyond simple entertainment and that gives it more value. After binge watching Rome as a teenager I literally felt like a spoiled Roman brat.
>>
>pleb cant recognize quality
>>
>>71194572
spotted carl the cuck

GoT is a numale show, Rome is a patrician show.
>>
>>71194673
Please explain. I didn't make this thread so retards could go "hue cuck cuck pleb prole!"
>>
File: 1402723941442s.jpg (13 KB, 241x250) Image search: [Google]
1402723941442s.jpg
13 KB, 241x250
>>71196661

im not that guy, but seriously how can anyone explain you their taste? Its not possible you either like something or not. i didnt watcher Rome since im a huge history faggot and im easily triggered by anachronisms, i can watch fantasy easy but if you say something is acurate and than add some random shit for the sake of ading random shit i lose it.

Didnt watched Rome tho how is it like for history is it overly dramatic or tries to be accurate?
>>
>better than Game of Thrones

People just say that because it's less popular. People always bitch about what's popular being shitty, no matter what it is. Welcome to the internet.
>>
It's better than game of thrones in every way. get better taste op
>>
It's overrated. I just forced myself through it because of the hype. Sopranos is the same. Way overrated by Guidos.
Deadwood is the real HBO masterpiece and crown jewel, followed by the smaller greats of The Wire and Band of Brothers.
>>
>>71194572

You're not even at Season 2 yet. That's the best season
>>
File: assd.png (44 KB, 925x587) Image search: [Google]
assd.png
44 KB, 925x587
>>71197016

It kinda is, you have to admit it, i mean look a this graph, you can clearly compare drop of quality with increase of viewership.

Like a new restaurant, when they open they tryhard, when they have steady customer base they start to slack, its common principle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVVgASDz8pM

Look at this shot from earielr season, landscape props and shit? Do you have feeling that Winterfell is that big now in season 6?
>>
>>71194572
Well, let me compare it to Game of Thrones for you.
>better writing
>better cinematography
>more compelling characters
>historical realization, even if exaggerated
>better sets
>more realistic battles
>10/10 costumes/props compared to GoT's plastic armor post-season 2
>better cast playing to their exceptional range (caesar, mark antony, pullo, pompeii, cicero all very well-portrayed)
I honestly struggle to think of any way that Game of Thrones is on Rome's level, much less better, other than the fact that it didn't have a rushed season 2 and get cut short. Of course, GoT's quality took a nosedive after season 2 so it's not much different.
>>
>>71194572
Watch I, Claudius after. Better acting but less production value.
>>
>>71197098
>The Wire
overrated
Band of Brothers really is one of the best though
>>
>>71197296

I second I, Claudius. Rome is great but I, Claudius is a masterpiece; every scene had me enthralled.
>>
>>71194572
>GoT is better
literally turned it off 20 minutes into the first episode and all i know about it is that it has some autistic midget in it
shouldn't you be tending to one of the 500 generals or a shrimp truck like a gay faggot?
>>
>>71194572
It has better, more developed characters played by a far superior cast. It's also more focused, has better pacing and all of the subplots are interesting, unlike Game of Thrones.

I also like how the strong women characters are actually portrayed somewhat realistically, unlike the "look how badass I am" conquering warrior women in GoT
>>
>>71197098
Band of Brothers is sentimental trash
>>
>>71197000
fellow historyfag, accuracy is for documentaries

you can nitpick a lot of shit in rome, but if it really kills your interest in what is a pretty great show with good character development, you're a turbofaggot
>>
>>71194572
So you have bad taste. Not sure what you want from us.
>>
>>71197098

Deadwood's great but I think it gets that extra bump into "crown jewel" status thanks only to Ian McShane playing Swearengen. He was so good I didn't care about the show's flaws.
>>
>>71194572
>accuracy is for documentaries
Analysis is for documentaries. Accuracy should be a must for everything.
>>
>>71197000
It's accurate enough. You have to remember that it's historical FICTION. Historical fiction is far more entertaining than just history, but the writers on Rome, led by the brilliant John Milius, certainly knew what they were up to. Their use of Roman graffiti as a plot device and the social mores of Roman life, as well as just the architecture of the show, such as Attia's open-air villa are just unbelievably beautiful testaments to the period.
>>
>>71194572
>got retard thinking it's comes anywhere close to rome in quality
Have you tried killing yourself?
>>
>>71197539
There are people who actually believe this? It's a drama, not a fucking history lesson
>>
>>71197420
>>71197619

Thanx bros, ill download it to enlight summer drudgery.
>>
Purefoy's Antony is one of the most based characters in all of HBO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJvAHMtN04c

All of the characters are extremely well acted. Pullo/Vorenus is some of the best broheim in all of TV.
>>
>>71197098

/tv/ has this massive hardon towards Sopranos and The Wire which at best are just above average shows, mostly mediocre in their run. HORY FUCKING SHIT, the amount of cock sucking these 2 shows get in here seems like the 2nd coming of Christ. Its doesn't even come close to the golden age of /tv/ like L O S T and sad to say GoT
>>
>>71198055
>Sopranos and The wire overrated
Holy shit get some damn taste
>>
File: vor2.jpg (34 KB, 608x336) Image search: [Google]
vor2.jpg
34 KB, 608x336
>>71198055
>this weak bait

sopranos is somewhat overrated but still great, the wire is fucking goat
>>
>>71197960
I think everybody is fucking great, Purefoy is amazing but I don't know if I can say he's better than Ciaran Hinds as Caesar or even Tobias Menzies as Brutus

Just a phenomenal cast.
>>
>>71198097
>>71198102

i rest my case
>>
File: the laws of this land.jpg (42 KB, 680x499) Image search: [Google]
the laws of this land.jpg
42 KB, 680x499
>>71194572
If you don't think this is better than Game of Thrones you deserve to be executed you dumb fucking pleb
>>
Pullo's execution scene is slightly better than anything GoT had, even the Jaime bath scene.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.