[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Press F to pay respects The age of good tv is dead.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 16
File: image.jpg (145 KB, 1600x884) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
145 KB, 1600x884
Press F to pay respects

The age of good tv is dead.
>>
>generic historically inaccurate time period drama cancelled

You should be happy networks are moving away from this trash.
>>
>>71154351
>Terence Winter
>generic

Kill yourself.
>>
this was a cliched bore, David Simon's bringing the golden age back, followed by Milch
>>
I think you wanted to post a picture of person of interest
>>
>le sex and drugs and rock and roll meme

Lel
>>
>>71154390
Taxi Driver wasn't generic, but Wolf of Wallstreet was
>but muh unique creative input..
Idgaf lad
>>
>>71154540
>I've never watched Boardwalk Empire or The Sopranos
>>
>>71154270
F
Goodbye Olivia Cockburn's hairy bush.
>>
>>71154270

The two hour series premiere of Vinyl was so boring I didn't bother to continue.
>>
Olivia "Box Office Blight" Wilde at work
>>
>>71154803
Same. Not boring like "nothing happens" but boring like, "i've seen all these scenes, plot beats, and characters before but in better hands, i'm good"
>>
Vinyl is the biggest abomination of all time. Argue me. You can't!
>>
I am now not going to start watching this show after the posts in this thread.
>>
>>71155578
Most of the people ITT haven't even seen the show. Anyone saying it is boring is 15 and likely couldnt even make it through Mad Men or the Sopranos.
>>
>>71155725
>Comparing Vinyl to Mad Men and Sopranos

Even Terrance Winter thinks the show sucks.
>>
>>71154742
That was a merkin, and I didn't even watch the show.
>>
>>71156022
She talked about it in an interview, it was.
>>
Everyone saying this was "too smart" for most people must be lying out their ass. I can't think of a more generic execution of a generic premise. I watched only 2 episodes but not a single thing surprised or interested me in it

>>71154663
The great parts of The Sopranos was all Chase, and BE was great at times but never lived up to it's potential

>>71154851
This, plus I have no interest in "rawk and roll!1!" culture to begin with
>>
Fuck this shit, that show was actually decent besides the gangster subplots.
>>
>>71155986
>Even Terrance Winter thinks the show sucks.
Kek

What did he say?
>>
>>71157543
I thought the same and I hoped s2 would have been so much better now that crap was finally over.
>>
This show sucked you (F)aggot
>>
Damn that's crazy. Didn't they sink a ton of money in season 1?
>>
I liked it but it was average and it costed a shit ton of money.
>>
File: topknight.jpg (80 KB, 274x309) Image search: [Google]
topknight.jpg
80 KB, 274x309
>Vinyl
>good tv

I really wanted to like it and I didn't. Winter is a fantastic writer and he knows period pieces but holy fuck what a shot in the dark this show was.

One redeemable episode- the one where Richie goes on the bender for a week, surrounded by just utter mediocrity. I watched every episode and I barely remember any of the characters. I love Cannavale, I love Winter, fuck I even love Ken Marino who had a bit part in this, I wanted to like it, I really did, but it was just completely forgettable.
>>
cmon it was fun, i dont know... as a musician myself it seems even more interesting.
>>
File: 1459734569000.jpg (100 KB, 800x998) Image search: [Google]
1459734569000.jpg
100 KB, 800x998
But it sucked..
>>
Garbage show. The only good hbo shows from the last 5 years are The Leftovers and Enlightened.
>>
It wasn't good. I know that much.
>>
>>71154270

But that's not Person of Interest or Penny Dreadful
>>
>>71158211
Upwards of 100 million

>>71158376
Veep and Silicon Valley are good, for the most part
>>
>>71158376
Veep

I do miss Enlightened though.
>>
>/v/ memes
wow it is true what they say about the infiltration of /tv/ by /v/ fags
>>
I thought it got renewed for a second season?
If not, that kind of sucks. It had its flaws but had a lot of potential if they had gotten things off the ground faster. They had so many subplots up in the air at once that it was too slow to make you want to tune in every week.
>>
>>71158415
>>71158420
Is Veep actually good? Was thinking of checking it out eventually.
>>
>>71158415
Did the show really cost that much jc.
>>
>>71158501
I've seen a few episodes here and there and enjoyed it, it's on my list to see in full. Definitely not as sharp as The Thick of It though

>>71158480
It did get renewed, then cancelled.

>They had so many subplots up in the air at once that it was too slow to make you want to tune in every week.
Boardwalk Empire suffered from the same thing in the later seasons, though it's premise was a bit more gripping from the outset.
>>
>>71158376
>The Leftovers

Thats the worst show HBO has made in years. You have awful taste.
>>
>>71158615
It's not as sharp, or well-written, or have as good as a cast of characters, but it's still the best comedy on American TV in the past very long time.

It definitely has earned those fuckton of Emmys
>>
i love seeing marrige problems in shows
there is nothing i would rather watch than two people shout and bitch at each other, cry, fight over the kids and be resentful
this is especially great if it happens in the first season without really fleshing out their relationship first, other than through flashbacks of them hooking up in a public restroom and being jealous
>>
File: Vinyl-TV-show-on-HBO-season-one.jpg (987 KB, 2000x1334) Image search: [Google]
Vinyl-TV-show-on-HBO-season-one.jpg
987 KB, 2000x1334
>>71154270
>The age of good tv is dead.

It really is, a lot of people feel the golden age of television has been over for awhile but Vinyl's cancellation in my opinion really solidifies the end. Vinyl like most great drama series had a flawed but brilliant first season and I was really looking forward to how the story and the kino would unfold over time. My main fear is that without this show out there leading by example there will be nothing to challenge it. Imagine if The Sopranos or Mad Men were cancelled in their first seasons and shows like Breaking Pleb, Boardwalk Empire, and Vinyl didn't exist. That's the timeline we're unfortunately stepping into now and because of HBO's brash and frankly stupid decision there is no going back.
>>
>>71158501
funniest thing on television

especially this season, it's been really fantastic
>>
The blonde girl was qt
>>
>>71154270
No brother, Vinyl's failure means the surface-level influence of golden age tv is no longer working as a substitute for its true value. You don't replicate the success of Sopranos by having a show about gangsters and you don't replicate the success of Mad Men by having a period show.
>>
>>71158642
Not remotely true anon.
>>
>>71154465
Of the three Davids, Simon is the only one who's done shit lately. Show Me a Hero was GOAT. Milch has succumbed to Shawn Ryan syndrome and David Chase ain't do shit never except that one movie. Which is ok, because David Chase has given enough of his time and effort to the tv machine and we should all be grateful to him forever.
>>
>>71154270
Good. That show was garbage and the 70s meme of sex, drugs, and rock and roll are dead. Good riddance.
>>
>>71158999
The show wasn't about gangsters that was a sub plot and literally every amazing show on television was a period piece from The Sopranos to Rome.
>>
I had genuine fun watching this with my friend both stoned out of our mind. I was looking forward to s2.
Maybe it helped that we actually liked the music.
>>
>>71158376
Based taste, anon.
>>
>>71159120
The music was amazing. Only under 20 faggots didn't like it.
>>
>>71159088
>The Sopranos
>period piece

It was a late 90s to early 2000s period piece that was also created and aired during that time, if that's what you mean lol.

Anyways, the top 3 shows of all time were Sopranos, The Shield, and Mad Men in that order. exactly one of those was a period piece.
>>
File: Boardwalk Empire Finale (6).jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Boardwalk Empire Finale (6).jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
Is it the first time HBO actually fires a showrunner? They always seemed attached to respecting a show's identity and personality, even if it meant shit audiences or lackluster reviews. Golden age HBO wouldn't have pulled something like this. True Blood or In Treatment changed showrunners at some point but those were mutual decisions.

Winter was always a mediocre writer and never should have been a showrunner, his role on The Sopranos was always to handle the hothead gangster shit and comedy but alll the character depth, narrative structure or thematic meaning came from Chase. That's why BE was just a pulp cartoon with one-note characters and cliché situations but fun violence and banter. Wolf of Wall Street proved he should do comedies, not dramas.

>TD S2 was a fucking mess, still pleasant pulpy crime but with obvious issues
>The Rock "we want the Entourage audience" vanity show
>Game of shit for normies and fantasy neckbeards
>a fucking Lindelof show
>Lena Dunham
>now they're doing a Westworld ("scifi" trash) remake by Nolan brother (hack)
>Simon and Milch struggling to get projects off the ground and keeping them on the air, David taking five years to make a new Curb season

Remember when it still had Sopranos, Wire, Rome and Deadwood, all at the same time?

What I'm gonna say is controversial but their best shows in a while was The Newsroom, even with all its flaws, Sorkin is still an amazing writer, which HBO is seriously running out of. The golden age ended with Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, The Newsroom and Justified. The scene of Nucky discovering Television was a neat way of ending it.
>>
>>71159218
The Sopranos is a period piece of 2000s gansters, Mad Men was obviously a period piece and The Shield? What are you 12? The Wire is clearly the 3rd in the trinity and its arguably a period piece on being a cop at the onset of when they started using technology heavily.
>>
>>71158878
So tv is dead because the show you imagined Vinyl to be doesn't exist? We can say any show cancelled in it's first season would be a masterpiece later on, you're speaking out of your ass. Mulvaney would have been the next Seinfeld if only those jerks didn't cancel it

Vinyl was the most derivative "HBO" drama ever. Anti-hero protagonist, excessive sex/violence/swearing/drugs, a too big cast to pad out runtimes, lack of a traditional/concrete arc established by the first season. It did nothing unique and the only reason you're calling it some lost masterpiece is because it reminds you of the template for actual masterpieces.

>without this show leading by example there will be nothing to challenge it
What in the world are you talking about? If anything this will make people challenge the status quo, because audiences clearly didn't care for it

>brash and stupid
It was obscenely expensive, nobody watched it and few people seemed to really like it. It was a completely sound decision
>>
>>71159312
>its a straight edge faggot was triggered episode
>>
>>71158878
breaking bad solidified the end of good tv
the early seasons were pretty good, but over time it started to rely on cliffhangers or dramatic reveals at the end of each episode
every episode felt like it needed to leave you in suspense of what is coming next episode so you are guaranteed tune in next week
shows like the walking dead and game of thrones are doing the same thing
it's clever, people talk about it with their friends, at work and on the internet
>have you seen the latest episode? i can't believe that happened
it cheapens the show
slow burners are fizzling out it seems
not that vinyl was great example of that, but it hit all the premium tv checkmarks and maybe that was it's downfall
>>
The only other show currently airing that came close was the Knick and Clive tanked that.
>>
File: show me nude bane.jpg (64 KB, 852x470) Image search: [Google]
show me nude bane.jpg
64 KB, 852x470
>>71159303
>The Sopranos is a period piece of 2000s gansters
>>
>>71159398
Justified was always better than Breaking Bad and it ended after BrBa
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (35 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
35 KB, 500x377
>>71159271
>>71159271

10/10 post
>>
>>71158777
kek
>>
>>71159464
Are you retarded or something? It was a gangster show set in the 2000s. Gangsters today do not operate like that. In 50 years they wont operate like that. Its a period piece because the setting and costumes are accurate to that time period and the way an organization operated back then. Today things are very different from how they were in early 2000s.
>>
>>71154465
Milch is a shit writer that can't actually finish scripts. He's an irresponsible dickhead and thinking any of his TV series can last any serious amount of time is setting yourself up for disappointment. He's the GRRM of TV.

David Simon is the only true master.
>>
>>71159494
No, it wasn't. As much as I like Justified and Breaking bad, and as much as I think that Breaking Bad is extremely overrated, Justified was never better than Breaking bad.

Procedural with villain for every season is bad for a quality TV.
>>
>>71159271
>now they're doing a Westworld ("scifi" trash) remake by Nolan brother (hack)
>a fucking Lindelof show

I appreciate where you're coming from but not when you dismiss things outright because of the names involved. I could just as easily say "a fucking Sorkin show" and it would mean as little. Westworld isn't even out yet

The offhand dismissals of The Leftovers bothers me more than anything on this board. Everyone bitches about how boring tv in general and HBO in specific is, and The Leftovers is probably the most unique drama on tv regardless of what you think of the quality. It's not an anti-hero drama, or a cliffhanger show, or a procedural, or a raunchy comedy, or a weak social satire. It's completely it's own thing, and that's the kind of material you should want on tv. Even if you dislike it it's a interesting failure and not a cynical product to get ratings
>>
>>71159604
By your definition, anything set in 2016 is a period piece then.
>>
>>71159271
The HBO men realized Terence Winter was another Kurt Sutter and Vinyl would be his Bastard Executioner. That said, they fucked up by attempting to continue the show without him instead of just canceling right away. Vinyl was the tattered flag of HBO's glory days, the inferior grandchild of The Sopranos, and by bungling its cancellation so badly HBO has shown us their hand. As if the constantly worsening Game of Thrones wasn't enough to see that. Hopefully they don't fuck with Lindelof on Leftovers, which is actually great and could have been the herald of a new HBO renaissance if they weren't so busy turning themselves into every other TV channel.
>>
>>71154270
Fucking hell. I loved this show. God fucking damnit
>>
>>71159712
Leftovers is literally a nothing show with no plot centered around drama of characters that aren't even interesting. You have bad taste.
>>
File: 1443705595561.gif (496 KB, 370x285) Image search: [Google]
1443705595561.gif
496 KB, 370x285
>>71159712
Agreed. The Leftovers will never be popular on this board because it's similar to Six Feet Under. It's largely genreless and extremely character driven.
>>
File: Milch Spot The Goy.jpg (46 KB, 391x333) Image search: [Google]
Milch Spot The Goy.jpg
46 KB, 391x333
HOLY TRIUMVIRATE TIER
The Sopranos
Deadwood
The Wire

AMAZING TIER
Generation Kill
John from Cincinnati

GREAT TIER
Oz early seasons
Rome
Six Feet Under
True Detective S1
Carnivale
Band of Brothers
Boardwalk Empire
Luck
Show Me A Hero

GOOD TIER
Treme
In Treatment
The Pacific
True Detective S2
John Adams
Vinyl
The Corner
From the Earth to the Moon

MEH TIER
Big Love
Oz later seasons

SHIT TIER
True Blood
GoT
>>
>>71159756
Leftovers is already set to end after season 3 next year, but on Lindelof's terms so it should stay as good as it's been
>>
>>71159736
If it uses things accurate to today and focuses on a very specific aspect of our society then yes it is.

Things that make Sopranos a period piece are very little use of the internet, use of pay phones, the empasis on the fact that the Italian mob doesn't even follow it's own rules anymore, things like that. If it was just a show set in the 2000s it wouldn't be. The fact that it is entirely centered around how gangsters operated during that time makes it so.
>>
>>71159822
You're a Milch dicksucker and Band of Brothers is quite possibly one of the best things ever put on television.
>>
>>71159604
you are one of the most retarded posters i've seen on here.
>>
>>71159822
Move True Blood to Guilty Pleasure Tier desu.
>>
>>71159822
>GOT - shit-tier

Faggot, the first four season were absolutely amazing. The last two are horrible, and probably the final too, but to put it in shit-tier? Plain contrarianism

>Carnivale not in amazing
>Show me a Hero not in amazing
>The pacific not in great or above
>Oz not in Good-tier for at least the first 3 seasons with Adebisi.

Shit list, mate.
>>
>>71159822
>Deadwood
>Over Gen Kill

Wew lad
>>
>keep watching scenes from Boardwalk Empire final season
>Dat opening in the last episode
>dat last dance with margaret
>dat grownup meyer and lucky taking over
>dat nucky discovering television
>dat nucky losing everything
>feel bad again
>open news today
>vinyl cancelled
>fucking day ruined even more

Man just fuck your stupid zombies and dragons and fuck your normie fucking fantasy shit. Vinyl was a good show and had a lot of premise.
>>
>>71159982
Yeah, it's way fucking better than Generation Kill. And Generation Kill is GREAT.
>>
>>71159822
>Boardwalk Empire
>Great

It went to absolute shit after the second season. Dat fucking taste.
>>
>>71159604
A show exploring its own time period is not a period piece. A show that deliberately selects a time period from the past and chooses to explore that time period is a period piece.
>>
>>71160077
Whats the difference?
>>
File: 1438383125566.jpg (22 KB, 604x377) Image search: [Google]
1438383125566.jpg
22 KB, 604x377
>>71160004
How can you have any love for Vinyl when that show is the reason the final season of BE skipped over the fucking st. valentines day massacre
>>
File: Deadwood Boneshaker.jpg (258 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Deadwood Boneshaker.jpg
258 KB, 1024x576
>>71159901
I suck Milch cock by choice and with aplomb.

>>71160045
Jimmyfags will never learn.
>>
File: ojgloves.jpg (80 KB, 404x594) Image search: [Google]
ojgloves.jpg
80 KB, 404x594
>>71159822
>HOLY TRIUMVIRATE TIER
>The Sopranos
>Deadwood
>The Wire
Absolutely.
>>
>>71159982
this
i don't get how it can be on the same level as the sopranos or the wire either
it was carried by the main actor so hard, plus it got cancelled before there was any conclusion to the story
>>
>>71159898
I disagree but I can't argue with those advanced dubs.
>>
>>71160112
Because I knew that Vinyl was the last show to come from the influence of The Sopranos.

And now there is not going to be ANY show like The Sopranos, BE or Mad Men...
>>
>>71160130
Sopranos was ''carried'' by a singular actor just as much as Deadwood.
>>
>>71160191
As someone said The Knick but Clive tanked it cause ratings were shit and he wanted out.
>>
>>71160191
What do you get out of being so cynical about a whole medium because one mediocre derivative show got cancelled? Why do you want every show to live in the shadow of one masterpiece instead of pushing for people to try new things? TV can be more than anti-heroes with large casts
>>
>>71160221
>show centered around a single character's psychology
>show about a growing community of an ensemble cast

hmm you're right, no difference there. Gandolfini totally "carried" The Sopranos!
>>
>>71160221
Wrong.

Steven Van Zandt and Tony Sirico were the absolute best supporting cast you could ask for.
>>
>>71159604
>a show set in the decade it was made is a period piece

Did you even read what you wrote?
>>
>>71160191
>there will never be a show influenced by Sopranos ever again inn existence for eternity because Vinyl got cancelled
>>
>>71160424
>bringing up those instead of Edie Falco
>>
Good show. Shame it's cancelled.
>>
>>71160492
I could go on about literally everyone except Tony's kids.
>>
>>71160130
you're so fucking retarded you have no clue what you're talking about

Compared to The Sopranos, Deadwood was basically an ensemble cast. Deadwood is the most unique story in the history of television and you clearly missed it.
>>
Let's be honest, if you thought that Rome for example was part of the "golden age of tv shows", then shows like Vikings and Black Sails are part of that golden age too.

For example, Oz in later seasons gets more and more cheesy. If you think that stuff was great, then Orange is the New Black is great too, you know what I'm saying?

If you think The Shield was amazing, then I see no reason why you wouldn't say Justified and The Americans aren't great either.

If you loved Six Feet Under, then you should like Shameless too.

People have a narrow view of what the "golden age of TV" actually was.
>>
File: 1406861205165.gif (424 KB, 259x169) Image search: [Google]
1406861205165.gif
424 KB, 259x169
>>71159822
>putting John from Cincinnati in amazing tier and not Six Feet Under
>not putting the early seasons of Big Love in at least good tier

oh fuck off
>>
>>71159271
>the newsroom
>good

kek
>>
I watched this show without hearing or reading anything about it and I loved every minute of it.

Go ahead, judge me.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
>>71160583
>comparing Rome to Vikings
>>
>>71159978
GoT fags constantly triggered, back to rddt
>>
>>71160546
i'm so sorry i didn't appriciate the great storylines of trixy the whore, the jew building a general store, calamity jane's lesbian adventures
i'm so wrong to assume the plotline at the center of the show was swearingen and his posse
>>
>>71160489
This. Lots of other shows were influenced by The Sopranos. The most famous episode of The Leftovers (International Assassin) was hugely influenced by The Sopranos
>>
>>71154270
This is a fucking bummer
>>
>>71159271
The Newsroom? Damn right that's controversial. Every episode ends the same way, with all the witty characters talking way too fast in each others faces while a saccharine song plays - except the finale of the show, where a girl sings Ave Maria over and over and over for nearly five minutes.
>>
>>71154270
As another anon pointed out the biggest and scariest part about this cancellation is the way they went about it.

They fired the showrunner cause it wasn't getting the ratings they wanted then cancelled the show when they decided it never would. Whereas HBO used to not mettle in creative affairs but give shows a final season notice, they are now trying to change shows into what they want them to be to get better ratings. Dark times.....dark times indeed.
>>
This wouldn't happen if it were on Netflix.

HBO is dead, they can't compete at all.
>>
>>71161449
Has Netflix cancelled anything? They seem to have no filter or quality control
>>
File: Deadwood Richardson.webm (36 KB, 176x176) Image search: [Google]
Deadwood Richardson.webm
36 KB, 176x176
>>71160130
>i don't get how it can be on the same level as the sopranos or the wire either
They're all shows that study and revel in the link between cultures of greed and violence through the prism and deconstruction of the historical genres they're rooted in -crime/western-, they're shows about American capitalism and society, the TV equivalents of the Great American Novel, but all with a different filter: sociological, psychological or philosophical.

The Sopranos is great because its both a psychological character study of the modern American family and a humanized deconstruction of the gangster genre, paralleling the two 'families' of Tony as both sides of a same coin. It perfectly balanced relatable with artistic.

Simon projects are good because of his understanding of socio-political power structures and meticulous sense of details/research, while unfolding like a great mythological tragedy with compassion for the little guys who inevitably get fucked over by forces they cannot stop. However, Simon lacks artistry because he's too bound by socio-realism, he's a journalist and a crime novelist, not a poet or a philosopher. Milch is the opposite, so he's more alienating.

Deadwood is great but also the more controversial picks because it's so overtly literary/theatrical and ostentatious in its quirks, like the use of soliloquies. But it's also the show with the best visual atmosphere and texture, with the most poetic situations and unique characters. Milch projects seem to be more interested in spiritual, philosophical, metaphysical or poetic matters. John From Cincinnati is Deadwood without the genre conventions, it's certainly not for everyone and heavily flawed but also really unique and daring. The man himself is a bit of a nutcase and hard to work with.

But IMO what also makes those three stand apart, and the true, too often overlooked, quality of what makes great drama: they had incredible comedy and absurdity, the sharpest wit and sense of humor.
>>
>>71159822
Where is The Leftovers?

Also True Detective S1 should at least be in amazing tier it is a fantastic season of television probably the best of the 2010's
>>
>>71161493
Netflix doesn't rely on ratings, they don't need to cancel shows if they aren't as popular as other ones.
>>
>>71154270
it was pretty shit desu

it was enjoyable but average.

Best part was ray romano

RIP HBO

First Rome then Carnivale now every project they touch besides game of turds flops
>>
>>71160583
The Shield was amazing, Justified was pretty good and Americans is in fact great.
>>
So now what do I watch to fap to Juno Tempo riding Mick Jagger's son's dick?
>>
>>71161294
This fellow foot fetishist agrees with me, even if we're only two in the world to defend it.

>Have you seen True Detective?
I tried to watch the first episode of season one, and I didn’t get into it at all. I thought it was really boring. And season two looks awful. Just the trailer — all these handsome actors trying to not be handsome and walking around looking like the weight of the world is on their shoulders. It’s so serious, and they’re so tortured, trying to look miserable with their mustaches and grungy clothes.

Now, the HBO show I loved was Aaron Sorkin’s The Newsroom. That was the only show that I literally watched three times. I would watch it at seven o’clock on Sunday, when the new one would come on. Then after it was over, I’d watch it all over again. Then I would usually end up watching it once during the week, just so I could listen to the dialogue one more time.

>I think people will be surprised to hear that. The Newsroom’s reviews were all over the place. Sorkin even apologized for some of it.
Who the fuck reads TV reviews? Jesus fucking Christ. TV critics review the pilot. Pilots of shows suck. Why would it be surprising that I like the best dialogue writer in the business?
>>
>>71161369
A lot of it had to do with the fucking ridiculous budget the show had. Cheaper shows wouldn't have been cancelled
>>
>>71159271
Don't agree about Newsroom but otherwise good post. HBO are struggling.
>>
>>71161493
Netflix is murdering everyone in the tv game, they don't need quality control
>>
>>71161733
Not sure where feet come into this? The only thing I will defend about The Newsroom is the occasional joke and Jeff Daniels' character.
>>
>>71154663
doesnt change the fact vinyl was a trash parody of itself
>>
>>71161580
True they don't use ratings traditionally, but they can see what shows get watched more and I don't think they'd keep something going that nobody watches

Or maybe they would, to keep up the illusion that they have so much good content to non-subscribers
>>
>>71161733
The Newsroom was liberals are smart: the show

fucking worst thing sorkin has ever done
>>
>>71161733
>>71159271
The Newsroom is fucking garbage
>>
>>71161973
>>71161983
It triggers SJWs and pol equally, so it did something right
>>
>>71161931
Don't cut yourself on all that edge
>>
>>71160222
i actually liked how the knick ended. not expecting that at all.
>>
>>71161973
Studio 60 was arguably worse.
>>
>>71158985
dem titties
>>
>>71162100
Dat ass
>>
>>71161733
Preferring Newsroom to True detective is KYS tier.
>>
>>71161966
Having their own content reduces licenseing fees while increasing their library. Netflix is also a recommendation service and uses the diversity of shows to come up with ideas it's subscribers would like. Cancelling shows is not part of their business model.
>>
>>71162027
I don't give a shit who it fucking triggers, it was poorly written, I hated every single character from the pit of my soul and the entire concept of telling the news 6 months after the fact was fucking silly.
>>
>>71161966
I don't know just how Netflix works but I don't think they've ever cancelled a show without giving it a proper final season. Even shit that isn't popular at all, they'd probably just cut the budget and keep it going.
>>
>>71161973
Fucking this. The Newsroom was Aaron Sorkin getting on a soapbox every week to tell us how he would cover events as a journalist using the power of ten years worth of hindsight. Absolute garbage.
>>
>>71161973
>>71162287
>>71162155
You also obviously haven't seen the show, he admitted the concept was arrogant after the first season and then focused on fictional cases.
>>
>>71159695
>bad for a quality TV.

I disagree. Keeps it fresh. Shows the writers have new ideas. Changes the story.

They still kept their major arcs and characters that grew throughout the series.

Breaking Bad is pretty equal to Justified in my books.
>>
>>71162408
Wasn't aware the Damascus bombing were fictional. Or the attack on Benghazi. Or the Boston Marathon bombing.

Maybe you should watch the actual news instead of tripe like The Newsroom.
>>
>>71161497
God I hated Richardson so much.
>>
>>71162698
>hating Richardson

stay pleb
>>
>>71161497
Milch obsessed by engagement via introspection, monologue and internalisation of the reflected external
>>
>>71160424
>implying Deadwood didn't have a stellar supporting cast
>>
>>71155725
Do NOT compare vinyl to either of those shows
Vinyl is boring
>>
Everyone says it's shit but never says why.
>>
>>71163580
People say the same thing about Mad Men and Sopranos all the time
>>
>>71163661
Generally they mean it isn't viscerally exciting the way a show like Breaking Bad is.

In this case there's nothing very emotionally or intellectually compelling about Vinyl compared to those two shows. It's going through the motions of those shows without any of the heart behind it
>>
>>71163661
Vinyl wasn't boring. It was bad.
>>
>>71163318
I'm not implying that, I'm implying what he said was just wrong on one count.
>>
Great thread
>>
>>71154270
Remember when the HBO shills tried to hype this shit? Good times.
>>
>>71161497
This is television, it's just shots of people talking to each other. There is no cinematic texture in any show.
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.