[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Goat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
110 KB, 1280x720
What does /TV/ think of Inherent vice?
>>
>>70989679
>Implying this can be anything but GOAT

kill yourself
>>
>>70989679
Inherent Vice is for plebs who think they are patricians.

You should probably watch The nice guys since it actually is what inherent vice wanted to be
>>
>>70989679
>Started watching, got bored, turned it off

Didn't give it 5 minutes. Was it worth it OP?
>>
>>70991234
same here. I like pta and phoenix but still turned it off idk what happened
>>
I watched all of it, not knowing what it was.

All I knew was the /tv/ was spamming the fuck out of it. It was the Drive 2.0 of /tv/

I hated it so much because I didn't get what the movie was until about half-way in and it finally clicked.

It's obtuse and crude.
It was ok.
>>
>>70991803
>>70991234
It shits on the master, but that's not saying much I guess
>>
Incoherent vice desu
>>
>>70991975
That's reassuring because I really didn't care for the master
>>
File: 28.png (2 MB, 1920x1036) Image search: [Google]
28.png
2 MB, 1920x1036
my personal favorite PTA, though THE MASTER and THERE WILL BE BLOOD are likely better films.

>>70992009
if you didn't enjoy THE MASTER, you probably won't care for INHERENT VICE either.
>>
was on acid and couldnt understand what was going on but kinda liked it

from what I hear even sober people couldn't understand wtf was going on
>>
>>70992125
It's a noire film with garbled dialogue that is intentionally confusing for comedic purposes to make fun of the genre and its long-winded speeches meant to make characters sound intelligent and deep. Inherent Vice shows how extremely unnecessary it all is and how nonsensical those types of movies tend to be.
>>
In the novel there's more of a point. He watches too many 50s detecive movies while high, and throws himself in a major drug conspiracy and realizes that he needs to sober up or he's going to get himself killed.

It ends with him going down the freeway talking about all the exits he drives by instead of taking one. He could easily escape his life anytime but wont.
>>
>>70989679
terrible characters, not funny enough, incoherent plot

probably perfectly adapted from the source material but didn't make it entertaining or good
>>
it's great
>>
>>70989679
Really great but i need to rewatch it.
>>
I enjoyed the novel (although it isn't one of Pynchon's better ones) but the film seemed to lack something for me which I can't put my finger on now but when I saw it in the cinema, I knew.

I did think Brolin was an excellent Bigfoot.
>>
10/10 legs
>>
more or less The Big Sleep but with pot
>>
>>70990888
hahahahahahahahahah
ahah
ahah
ah
ah
a
ha
haha
ha
h
ah
>>
>>70989679
Pynchon's wackiness is all over it. That makes it often difficult to follow. Pynchon's underlying theme of the conservative restauration winning back against the 60s freedom movement is more dominant than the actual story. Or better: that is the actual story. So if you care about that, it is a good film. Rednecks and plebs will not be able to enjoy the film's attitude.
>>
they didn't think out the plot that well. it didn't make any sense at all. the only parts I enjoyed were the comedic ones
>>
>>70995550
In order to understand the plot you need some knowledge of the times. About the CIA bringing in hard drugs to destroy the counter culture, about the cooperation of fascists and capitalists and so on. The plot actually makes all sense, but it goes against conventions a lot, so it is more difficult than a standard crime plot.
>>
>>70989679
A piece of incoherent shit
>>
>>70989679
Awful fucking flick for insufferable faggots.
>>
>>70990888

They're both good movies but nothing alike thematically. If you can't appreciate both pta and shane black you're pretty much a dipshit
>>
It's as incomprehensible as the book, only condensed into one and a half hours, making it worse than the book.
>>
>>70991935

I've never even seen an inherent vice thead that had more than 15 replies
>>
>>70995492

This tbdesu
>>
>>70996811

What movies have you enjoyed this year?
>>
>>70996957
Warcraft
>>
>>70997001

Well memed
>>
that movie was slow but i felt really comfy watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73oO2XA_ihk
>>
>>70989679
Not gonna lie, I didn't get it.
>>
>>70989679
Very funny, a bit like a Coen brothers movie
>>
>You should probably watch The nice guys since it actually is what inherent vice wanted to be

What a fucking stupid comparison. In that case, all LA noir films are what inherent vice wanted to be.
>>
I saw it yesterday, it's good. The plot is convoluted so I'll have to rewatch it a couple of times to get all the connections but it was still enjoyable on a first watch. The brilliant acting helped
>>
>>70989679
Those nipples were something else
>>
absolute shit like by fat plebs to look patrician
>>
It's alright, one of PTA's only good movies.
>>
>>70991935
>>70992260
>>70995492
>>70995550
>>70995773
>>70996869
>>70998077
>>70998131
>>70999484
>>70999741
it is shit
it is supposed to be funny by having a convoluted plot ecactly like the big lebowski
But the plot of the big lebowski resolves around a pee'd rug and not some international drug scheme, oh and Lenowski is actually funny.
>>
>>71002053
k
>>
PTA and and Pynchon are a match made in heaven, since both represent, respectively in cinema and literature, the epitome of inauthenticity. Both are very cunning imitators of authentic art, so that, superficially, PTA's flicks and Pynchon's penny dreadfuls look like great works of art. And the unthinking will consider themselves ''connoisseurs'' for liking this inauthentic trash disguised as great art, and will happily pat themselves on their backs.

This whole thing is nothing more than an IMDB-core flick-maker adapting a meme author's most unabashedly memetic work into a flick that will make every lover of inauthentic art out there (fans of Tarantino, Fincher, etc.) salivate.

Truthful and authentic filmmakers such as Korine will go unappreciated, and hacks like PTA will be celebrated. I, being a proponent of authentic cinema, will not be seeing it.
>>
>>71002416
I dunno man, Pynchon's books are great
>>
>>70989679
Didn't understand it LOL
>>
>>71002416
I love this pasta
>>
>>70991935
>All I knew was the /tv/ was spamming the fuck out of it. It was the Drive 2.0 of /tv/

no it wasn't
it didn't get much exposure on this board. Less than the Master at least
>>
>>70991935
>All I knew was the /tv/ was spamming the fuck out of it. It was the Drive 2.0 of /tv/
uhh the first thread was calling it complete meme pandering humor trash when the trailer came out
>>
>>70998131
Slow your roll. Corn bros could shit on a plate and it would be funnier than inherent vice. The movie was dull.
>>
>>70989679
Pleb filter, as evidenced in this thread.

Plebs are impervious to the art of creating moods. This is the most original representation of a drug induced haze I've seen in a while, infused with social commentary and the dusk of the 60's countercultures.
>>
Young Lebowski
>>
>>71002974
Hail, Caesar!
intolerable cruelty
ladykillers
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.