[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so why did this fail? fans expected stargate and got battlestar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: SGUTemplateImage11.jpg (29 KB, 762x441) Image search: [Google]
SGUTemplateImage11.jpg
29 KB, 762x441
so why did this fail? fans expected stargate and got battlestar galactica instead? I have to admit, coming from SGA this is quite a brutal shift in tone. but is this reason enough to dislike a wellmade scifi show?

currently re-watching for the first time since its release and surprised how much it grew on me. earth episodes aside I started to really, really like SGU.
>>
File: sgu-water.jpg (132 KB, 1023x680) Image search: [Google]
sgu-water.jpg
132 KB, 1023x680
>fans expected stargate and got battlestar galactica instead?

That, and the fact that Atlantis was essentially canceled for SGU, leaving a lot of fans bitter. It's a shame because when you put all of that aside the show was pretty damn good. Miles better than SGA in my opinion.
>>
>>70903726
I miss Lt. Titties.
>>
>>70903997
Dude the show was garbage. They focused heavily on very shitty "young adult" drama instead of on exploration. Fuck soap opera's in space. People want a space opera.
>>
>>70903726
Fans expected Stargate and got Days of our lives in space.
>>
The entire plot felt like something the SG-1 team would have fixed in an hour.
>>
>>70903726
If they had toned down the soap opera love triangles and everyone crying every episode about muh friends and family back home bs the show could of actually been good.
>>
>>70903726
>I have to admit, coming from SGA this is quite a brutal shift in tone.

Isn't that the whole point of spin offs? To do their own thing while using a preestablished universe.
>>
the show was fucking garbage and from a production and planning standpoint it managed to suck the life out of atlantis.

i could almost forgive it, except again, it was fucking garbage.

also carlyle was the only actor who was actually good.. the rest weren't even bad. just terrible.
>>
This is the worst fucking show I have ever seen in my entire life. It is poorly written, produced and directed. The entire premise is retarded. The cast sucks. The show was written into a corner from minute one. The fat guy was the one remotely relateable character and he would have lost some fucking weight after months of starving on a derelict alien space ship that somehow functions after a million years of constant of operation without any maintenance at all, on some vague mission to find God and reboot his Wifi. How about some poorly written, poorly rendered CGI aliens whose entire presence in the storyline is ultimately completely irrelevant and nothing happens except that they die. What a total piece of shit. It is a Science Fiction franchise. Not a Mad Lib. The tone was completely fucked. The messages were political. Where was the light comedy, the irony? The action? Why the preachy messages about homosexuality? Why overuse the time travel angle? Why did they intentionally write a show filled with characters you hoped would die because they would whine all the time, but who would not only in fact never die, but also have other whining time travel duplicates of themselves made in insulting plot turns that are totally lame?
>>
>>70905816
Basically all of this. I'd also like to add the bodyswitching device for calling home.
It added another layer of drama I didn't really want in my SG and also made the isolation on the Ship much less impacting.
>>
>>70905816
>Why overuse the time travel angle?
Two episodes is overuse?

>Why the preachy messages about homosexuality?
What preachy messages were to be found? One character was a lesbian and had a girlfriend at home. That's it. Nothing was said about homosexuality, gay rights, or anything else like that. I think you're projecting your own agenda onto the show because there was nothing like that at least where homosexuality was involved.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.