[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished watching this. What did you think of Inherent Vice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 12
File: Inherent-Vice-Book-Cover.jpg (242 KB, 612x939) Image search: [Google]
Inherent-Vice-Book-Cover.jpg
242 KB, 612x939
Just finished watching this. What did you think of Inherent Vice?

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. The acting was good, and I generally enjoy the 70s aesthetic. However, the plot was sporadic and convoluted at best.

Personally, I give a 6/10. Would recommend, but only to other film buffs.
>>
>>70902610

don't comment on noir films if you know nothing about them

the entire point is that the plot is convoluted you baby
>>
>>70902610
Don't judge a movie like this until you watch it 3 or more times. The plot is there, you just didn't catch it the first time.
>>
>However, the plot was sporadic and convoluted at best.
A junkie that gets lost telling the story narrates the movie. Its the whole point of the movie.
>>
>Being unenjoyable was the INTENTION of the film you pleb
>PTA made a boring waste of time on purpose
and Plebtricians literally think we should celebrate this, kek.
>>
>>70902700
I thought that harp woman who sings like a braindead retard narrated the movie.
>>
>>70902610
I dont want to be the "if you read the novel" guy but..
If you read the novel you would get why the movie is the way it is, and I love it.
Thomas Pynchon is very sporadic and convoluted in his writing too
>>
PTA has said that he is shit as remembering plots, and was inspired by The Big Sleep, which apparently makes no sense when it comes to the plot.

>>70902721
fucking kek
>>70902758
Fuck you Joanna Newsom is amazing.
>>
>>70902721
Your taste is not like other people's taste. Quite a bit of people understand the movie, just because you didn't enjoy it doesn't mean you should bitch and complain. It makes you look weak. It wasn't meant to be not enjoyable.

Just leave OP, you look foolish from the very start of your thread.
>>
>>70902655
>>70902687
>>70902700

I haven't watched too many noir films. That might be why I found the story hard to follow at times. Any others you could suggest so I can watch more?
>>
>>70902782

jesus christ how can you guys allow yourselves to talk about things that you know nothing about?

go read a fucking book you illiterate retard

or watch any noirs made ever
>>
>>70902804
>Quite a bit of people understand the movie
They understood the movie that was made to not be understood.
>>
>great music
>great visuals
>great acting
>great nudity
>dat nnngh Joanna Newsom voiceover
>>
>>70902816

The Big Sleep
Double Indemnity
Out of the Past
Brick
The Maltese Falcon

noir plots are always meant to be confusing and densely layered and intricate. the viewer is meant to feel like the detective who is feeling things out and struggling to make sense of the chaotic, violent world around them.
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 800x600
>>70902816
The Big Lebowski you fucking normie
>>
File: 1461652044972.jpg (201 KB, 1024x867) Image search: [Google]
1461652044972.jpg
201 KB, 1024x867
>>70902823
What's the problem here, Anon?
>>
>>70902804

I'm OP here>>>70902816

Not this anon>>>70902721
>>
10/10 - Anderson's 2nd most beautiful film (The Master is first), the key to enjoying this movie is understanding that the mystery is purposefully incoherent and not particularly relevant to the plot. The film is actually a meditation on living in a time of great progress, and how to deal with that progress slipping away (very relevant to today, actually)
>>
>>70902721
>>70902804
If PTA meant to make an unenjoyable film he didn't do a very good job because I enjoyed the hell out of it.
>>
>>70902878

your stupidity is embarrassing and you should know that

please go read a book
>>
>>70902830
What? There's a plot there if you watch the movie. It's not a series of events and all of a sudden the movie ends. There's structure in the plot. How could you say there isn't? Don't be stupid.
>>
File: 1464061365727.jpg (101 KB, 284x423) Image search: [Google]
1464061365727.jpg
101 KB, 284x423
>>70902912
Great Anon, thanks.
>>
>>70902900

lolwat

the movie is about the opposite of that. it is about living in an America where things are going to shit and paranoia is taking over the cultural mindset
>>
>>70902864

I have Out of the Past downloaded, I just haven't watched it yet. I'll probably see it next, and those others in time.

I'll keep in mind that the intricacies make the film what it is.

>>70902874

I actually just watched The Big Lebowski the other day, ans quite enjoyed it. And it's a pretty normie movie itself btw.
>>
>>70902864
Second "Out of the Past". That film is so fucking good and it will make you want to start smoking cigarettes
>>
>>70902610
>convoluted

It all comes together by the end and you're supposed to be disoriented throughout like the protag
>>
>>70902923
There is a plot but it doesn't matter. You could piece it together but in the process of doing so you're missing the point of what the movie apparently is. You're just supposed to "feel" it but more importantly who cares?
>>
>>70902955

Doc represents the 60s new age movement (good), and the film is about how he deals with his world being slowly subverted and destroyed. He deals with this by loving other people and himself. I think we agree with each other,
>>
I dunno. It was just so muted, joyless, and ultimately pointless. I thought it was very well-made and the performances were great, but I doubt I'd watch it again.

I will say though, PTA did an EXCELLENT job portraying what it's like to be stoned 24/7. Trouble is, being stoned 24/7 is usually pretty dull
>>
>>70902782
>Joanna Newsom
SPECIAL NEEDS
>>
>>70902955
>>70903038

I haven't seen the movie but read the book. The stuff about the Internet near the end really hammers home the changing society though
>>
>>70902981

Yeah I'll definitely have to watch OotP ASAP. And I did notice that in many old movies the protags always smoke cigs. Die Hard was one recently that I noticed the heavy cig use.

>>70902984

More people have mentioned how you yourself are supposed to feel like the bewildered protag and that makes a lot more sense now that I think about it.
>>
>>70902610
was surprised that Anderson left out much of the atmosphere of the book. It had a kind of stylish, cold touch to it what I also liked but I really missed the whole psychedelic stoned out feel and the surfer scene vibe/music that made the book such a treat. Also didn't get the added scene with Bjornsen eating the weed it felt like a unnecessary attempt at humor. Still a good adaptation, solid 7/10 for me
>>
>>70902976
Only a normie film if you just qoute it. But you can actually take some lessons on how to achieve an attitude that makes you enjoy life if you analyze it
>>
>>70903103
Die hard is not an "old movie" it's from the fucking 80s
>>
>>70903103

Older, I should say. Die Hard is definitely not an "old" movie.
>>
>>70903127
>Also didn't get the added scene with Bjornsen eating the weed it felt like a unnecessary attempt at humor.
Wasn't that supposed to be sad. I was watching in a second screen while playing DOTA by that point but it didn't seem like it was intended to be funny.
>>
>>70903141

Yeah I realized my mistake as soon as I posted it.
>>
>>70903141
Its ok anon. The best thing to do during your mid life crisis is to do some gentle pilates
>>
>>70902610

>"film buff"
>complains about plot

Here's your (You), m8
>>
>>70903172
How else would that scene be intended for anything besides comedy? Its just some wierd, quirky stoner humor as a reward for any stoner normies that sat through the film
>>
>>70903172
>>70903302
Also, playing DOTA WHILE watching a movie? Get the fuck off my board.
>>
File: 17.png (2 MB, 1920x1036) Image search: [Google]
17.png
2 MB, 1920x1036
it's a masterpiece. my personal favorite from Paul Thomas Anderson, though THE MASTER and THERE WILL BE BLOOD are likely better.
>>
>>70903356
Not that guy but PTA makes feature length video games in the first place so it's quite appropriate. "New Hollywood" edition capeshit.
>>
>>70903127
>Also didn't get the added scene with Bjornsen eating the weed it felt like a unnecessary attempt at humor.
One of the major themes in the movie was how the mainstream had infiltrated and appropriated the counter-culture, swallowing it up. That scene was the metaphor literalized.
>>
>>70903409
>The director of this movie that I'm not paying attention to makes vidya, so I'm valid
What?
>>
>>70903487
>Not that guy but
not that i agree with this douche or anything but you could at least learn to comprehend basic sentences before posting on this board
>>
>>70902610
I thought it was a waste of time honestly
>>
>>70903172
>>70903411

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tl1qBLzApQ

In the book, in the end they don't come out as friends but something at least comparable because they realize they needed each other to get through all this shit. Bjornsen basically led Doc to the guy that killed his partner and is grateful as shit for Doc killing the guy. No Idea why Anderson left that out, felt kind of important. Instead we get this silly scene, which yes works as a metaphor but not as a conclusion of their relationship
>>
>>70903411
Not who you responded to, but damn, that is some dank knawledge
>>
>>70903526
My arguement still stands
>>
File: Incezt (8).jpg (270 KB, 687x945) Image search: [Google]
Incezt (8).jpg
270 KB, 687x945
>>70903409
Thats Paul WS Anderson from the Mortal kombat and Resident Evil flicks
>>
>>70903618
PTA barely qualifies as cinema at all, if anything it's more respectable NOT to give it your full attention.

If you're in a room and a capeshit is playing on the television set (set is broken so that the channel can not be changed or switches off), the more attention you are paying to the capeshit the less serious about cinema you are, the same rules apply to the films of PTA. This is rotten tomatoes, r/movies, /v/ cinema. Best not to look too closely, lest you debase yourself any further.
>>
>>70903765
Paul WS Anderson is one of the greatest examples of vulgur auteurism working today. A true underappreciated visionary director.

PTA is just an IMDB hack who makes films for teens who just outgrew Cuckoldtino.
>>
PTA is a great director, but it's neither my favourite of his films, nor is it one of Pynchon's best stories. instead I think this film can be interpreted as a cunning attempt to magnify Pynchon's audience by at least an order of magnitude

GOAT use of Can's music at the intro - primed me for a masterpiece. but I found it really unsatisfying. I went out and read The Crying of Lot 49 almost immediately after though and loved it. I can't help but think that was the point
>>
>>70903819
>I can't help but think that was the point
Yes, making a subpar movie as an advertisement for his favorite author was the point. PTA is a true genius.
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 636x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 636x380
>>70903780
Dude, are you seriously comparing PTA to capeshit? That's a crime and shame that you actually believe what you just said
>>
>>70903948
I've been comparing PTA to capeshit since before you were old enough to post here. Now go get sophisticated about cinema or fuck off.
>>
>>70904014
'Sophisticate' me then. What films arent shit-tier? David Lynch?
>>
>>70903934
I think Pynchon is a genius, but even he has released work that doesn't compare to his creative peaks. the point isn't to love everything someone does, but to locate the best that they're capable, and politely ignore the rest

also, increasing the name recognition of one of the strongest prose stylists ever isn't a trivial move. it's simply not a terrible movie; I just didn't see it as a masterpiece. it's got elements that I loved in Lot 49 - the haphazard journey through deepening levels of conspiracy. people will hopefully choose his slimmest volume, love it, and move on from there
>>
>>70904129
Not shit tier: Inland Empire, Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway,

Borderline shit tier: Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead

True shit tier: Wild At Heart, The Elephant Man, Dune, Straight Story
>>
>>70902721
"I've never read a Thomas Pynchon novel"

-You
>>
>>70904225
Ultra Dimensional God-tier:
Inherent Vice
>>
>>70904014
>this whole post

There is literally so much fucking manchild oozing from this post I can't handle it. Anon, go outside and talk to some real people.
>>
>>70904357

Not shit tier: Punch Drunk Love

Borderline shit tier: Inherent Vice, The Master

True Shit tier: Magnolia, Boogie Nights, Hard Eight, There Will Be Blood
>>
>>70902610
I haven't seen this but that picture looks neat
>>
>>70904278
If you need to read the book to appreciate the movie then the director failed at translating the book to the screen.
>>
File: image.jpg (389 KB, 960x1226) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
389 KB, 960x1226
>>70904419
I prefer the poster made for the 16mm screening of it in LA
>>
>>70904471
"I don't know anything about postmodernism and Pynchon, please spoonfeed me everything in a film, all I do is eat capeshit all day long mmmmhmm fill my pleb gullet"

-You
>>
>>70904512
Do Pynchon's books require additional materials or do they stand on their own? If you require prior knowledge then the film failed at conveying what it was supposed to.
>>
>>70904545
Pynchon's novels require a modicum of intelligence and not being entitled to being told everything you fedora mouthbreather
>>
>>70904471
Have you ever heard of the storytelling technique that is called allusion?
>>
>>70904545
refer to>>70904625
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (46 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
46 KB, 1280x720
ITT: retards arguing what is and isn't art.

Great thread
>>
I couldn't enjoy it because I'm not a native English speaker and 3/4 of the film is unintelligible to my ear. It's also as boring as the second season True Detective, and that is saying a lot.
>>
>>70904611
I'm sure they do, but that doesn't have much to do with the film PTA made.
>>
fucking shit
>>
>>70903409
>>70903526
>>70903780
>>70904014
>>70904225

>PTA is le videogame fucking inauthentic "entertainment" IMdbcore /v/eddit sensibilities fedoracore fedora /v/edora fedoras leftist degenerate I am true cinema warrior against autistic hotpocket reddit sensibilities get off my board fucking philistine cuck HURRR

t. Korinefag
>>
>>70904747
Based on a Thomas Pynchon novel? Yeah that has nothing to do with Inherent Vice the movie. I shouldn't refer to the source it's based on to further edumacate myself
>>
File: easy on the bananas.jpg (140 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
easy on the bananas.jpg
140 KB, 600x400
>>70902721
>>
Unlike Tarantino and Nolan who at least make safe and a bit tryhard, but overall enjoyable movies, PTA makes pseudo-intellectual drivel with awfully written characters, such a shit director even IMDb doesn't like him anymore
>>
>>70904868
Nothing wrong with referring to the source if you're interested, but if familiarity with the source material is required then PTA didn't do his job very well. A film should be a work of art unto itself that stands alone.
>>
>>70905021
And just because you 'think' that referring to the source is required does not mean that the artistic merit of PTA is ruined. If anything it means the film caught your curiosity if it puzzled you enough to 'think' that you need reference
>>
>>70904938
>tarantino and nolan
stop memeing my friend
>>
>>70905288
I thought hating them was the meme
>>
>>70905481
Their names alone are meme enough
>>
>>70905191
>>70905021
Honestly, the only real reference you need is history. The red scare. The CIA. MK ultra. You can throw in the fun conspiracy theories about the CIA inventing crack and other drugs. How just after jim crow was abolished and civil rights passed, prisons were forcibly desegregated until they suddenly weren't anymore.

The source material doesn't go into that much more detail than the movie, because the characters didn't have all that much information.
>>
>>70905191
I didn't even give an opinion of the movie. I just take issue with the ethos of your posts. If you need to be familiar with an author or original text to "get" a movie then it wasn't a good adpatation.
>>
>>70905685
You just repeated what I responded to read my post again
>>
>>70903228
I'm 21 lol
>>
>>70905818
Yeah I was just joshin'
>>
>>70905685
You picked up a mistaken inference somewhere. Pychon is heavily based in historical fact and drawing logical conclusions between those facts. So the only real reference you need is knowledge of the period in which each of pychon's novels take place.

You could read the book if you wanted, there's a few more scenes, like doc hiding the ridiculous amount of heroin in a TV box, his druggie friends finding the TV box, taking the drugs out and putting them on a TV stand, thinking they're hallucinating it being a ridiculous amount of heroin, as there's no way it could be a ridiculous amount of heroin, in a TV box, in doc's apartment and trying to watch it like a TV, because the fact they were all hallucinating the same thing was more likely than it being a ridiculous amount of heroin. But nothing really all that important to the narrative.
>>
>>70902610
>not sure what I think
>thinks he's a film buff
>posts picture of the book cover

you're a fookin idiot son
>>
>>70905674
Then my enemies in this thread should have insulted me for a lack of historical knowledge rather than for a lack of familiarity with Pynchon.
>>
File: it is not groovy to be insane.jpg (162 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
it is not groovy to be insane.jpg
162 KB, 1920x1040
Inherent Vice gets better with every watch. Something about PTA films have such a rhythm to them that make it hard to put them down once they're started. But you have to already have seen it to know sort of the pacing.
>>
>>70905946
>being that sensitive
oh did the big bad anonymous text hurt your widdle feewings???

Besides, as far as the content of your post goes, same thing. Wiking pychon would give you basically all the information you needed to know about him and his style.
>>
>>70905896
I haven't seen the movie but is all the business with arpanet un the film? I thought that was some of the most important parts of the book
>>
>>70905946
Pynchon's novel includes all that historical allusory language I.E. when the cop stops Doc and Blatnoyd, Pynchon references the Manson Murders and how the cops are paranoid of hippies because of that. Its all in the book anon
>>
>>70906038
Nope. But even in the book it was more or less establishing why the CIA had to tone down their shenanigans.
>>
>>70902758
This is the second time I've seen someone compare Joanna Newsom to something braindead (the first time was Lisa Simpson)
>>
>>70906038
arpanet is only has one quick scene
>>
>>70906063
Even in the movie the cop is saying any group of "hippies" greater than three is a cult and has his fucking gun drawn like they're going to murder him.

They also mention the manson family in the movie as a current event. So shit, how much more do you need?
>>
>>70906145
Well anon Im not a damn computor nor motivated enough to give a braindead retard more examples, just read the book anon, give yourself a treat
>>
>>70906219
> Im not a damn computor
... that's... exactly what an AI would say.

I'm onto you motherfucker.
>>
>>70906343
kek that was unironically funny
>>
Gong golden huge a hauling again appears and, right stage exits, suspenders his snaps he as laughing again ass your on you're and. Mouth naughty to Hand "Ah!" Mirror a out Pulls "???handsome look I do? Dese like you "-center, right, left -you for em displays and mouth his into up right teeth buck plastic of pair a shoves he as him watch. Yukyukyukyuk laughing, says he "?Pynch that did". Card that, pynchmeister old the by again pranked been you've Hahahahahah and shock a get you BZZZZZZZZZZ and up back book the pick you and, trickster this, next do gonna he whats hmmm think you then and! It do to, genius crack the, mind mad the. Cackling back fall you and snakes fulla face a get you POP & book the open you, cans snake novelty those of one like is novel every. It of brim the to full are books his and, behavior rambunctious and jokes, gags, goofs is books in thing fav my because sure for writer fav my Pynchons.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 324x557) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 324x557
>>70906343
That was so funny that youve been awarded a /tv/ related reaction image
>>
If I could kill two people on the planet they would be Paul Thomas Anderson and Joanna Newsom. I wouldn't even rape or undress Newsom because that's exactly what females want you to want. If you transcend sexuality then they are powerless.
>>
I've only watched once and I got the plot, it's basically a conspiracy to keep people having using drugs and going to rehab and the money goes to government. Phoenix saves Owen Wilson and then re-establishes the relationship he had with his ex.
>>
>>70906672
You need stronger meds, chap
>>
>>70904545
>If you require prior knowledge then the film failed at conveying what it was supposed to.
can people stop posting this? it's an absolutely ridiculous supposition about film and/or narrative story-telling. is it what they teach students at film school? trying to figure out why it keeps on being reposted.
>>
>>70906731
I don't need medication. Both are frauds.
>>
>>70906805
huh? okay, i'll bite. frauds? how so?
>>
>>70906742
exactly anon
this, this greentext is what the parrots speak
>>
>>70904195
i agree, Inherent Vice isn't Pynchon's strongest work. i'd say Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon, Vineland, Crying Lot, and Against the Day are superior. have yet to read V. but i'm looking forward to soon.

as for the film, i felt PTA filtered out a lot of the comedy, omitted segments, and added scenes that had less overall impact or zaniness, ahem, inherent in the novel. i did love how he had Sortilege narrate it but still think the film lacked what made the novel special. however, i still enjoyed the film.
>>
>>70907053
Joanna Newsom is an autistic retard and PTA makes fake movies and yet society celebrates them while telling me that I'M the worm.
>>
>>70907280
>
lmao
>>
>>70907280
i'm sorry, mate, but do you realize your reasons and possibly reasoning itself is suspect here? calling people names does not an argument make. you do not have valid points. you have opinions. now back them up and tell us why you feel Newsom is an autistic retard and Anderson a fake, if you care to be taken seriously.

also, society doesn't tell you anything. society is an abstract generalization that does not speak directly to you. that's rather juvenile thinking, mate.
>>
>>70902610
I wish I had time to go through the thread, but I want to say this is one of my all time favorite movies. It's flawless. It's ridiculously entertaining, from the acting and characters to the mystery and individual scenes. Each rewatch I catch a new joke or a new piece of evidence towards the mystery. People that say forget the plot and enjoy the atmosphere are missing out because, although there's certainly great stuff there, deciphering the plot and puting the pieces together is the best part. 10/10, I feel like I could watch this movies every day and never grow tired of it.
>>
>>70907614

Thanks for your level-headed analysis. This thread got real bad real fast. From what I've gathered, I'll definitely have to go back and rewatch this movie eventually.
>>
>>70904859
For the record, I love both PTA and Korine, not that I'm a poster you replied
>>70904410
Horrendous taste
>>
>>70907541
>tell us why you feel Newsom is an autistic retard
Just look at her
>>
>>70907679
Also, from what I gathered from the thread, I'll add I've never read a Pyncheon novel, I find the movie is a complete story of its own that can be figured out with enough attention. Don't think of it as tedious; the story is there, the fun part is figuring out what matters and what is only connected by hippy paranoia I think all of it matters and a government conspiracy to work with the Golden Fang does exist in the film
>>
ITT: A pleb OP acts like a bitch throughout

Very original
>>
shit book, shit film

honestly pynchons worst, i mean of all of his works why would anyone choose IV to adapt is beyond me, i guess because pta thinks the 70s are cool still
>>
>>70907955
have you read Bleeding Edge, mate? i'd say that's Pynchon's worst. IV is a fun, hilarious summer read.
>>
>>70902610
>However, the plot was sporadic and convoluted at best.

Well the source material was written by literally the greatest living writer, so maybe you're just a retard
>>
Was Doc a cuck?
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.