[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Malazan adaptation when?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: malazan.jpg (63 KB, 736x512) Image search: [Google]
malazan.jpg
63 KB, 736x512
Malazan adaptation when?
>>
Hopefully never because it would definitely be shit
>>
>>70876949
Wheel of Shit hambeast fan detected
>>
>>70877186
Literally what are you saying
Take a break from the memes, please, for your own health

If you've actually read the books then you'd know as well as I do that there's just no way that an adaptation could do them justice
>>
>>70877265
I think that other anon was saying that you're shit.
>>
>>70876896
>>70877186
I love those books but it WOULD definitely get butchered and awful. The writing relies so much in introspection and character depth that even if it was good it would still be very generic fantasy.
>>
>>70877733
Gardens is based on a screenplay
>>
>>70877865
isn't it based on a heavily modified D&D campaign
>>
I say it in every thread and I'll say it again. Adapt it in the style of Heavy Metal.
>>
>>70877865
I'm convinced books based on screenplay can be really good. Not at all that movies based on books can. Really good adaptations can be counted with your fingers, and maybe some toes if you are being generous, but fantasy is not a genre where good movies happen often.
>>
>>70877265
this

could maybe do well if it was animated, but live action would require an impossible budget and probably still end up being terrible
>>
>>70877865
Gardens was complete shit
>>
>>70876896
>tfw no Book of the New Sun tv adaptation
It would probably get butchered anyway
>>
>>70877911
both
>>
>>70876896
What a terribly imagined K'chain. They're supposed to be more insectile than reptilian.
>>
I feel like the first book could be adapted easily enough. Shit doesn't get too too crazy in that book... although there might be too much magic and magic never really looks great on screen.
>>
File: Post-1984-0-06079400-1338745019.jpg (594 KB, 914x685) Image search: [Google]
Post-1984-0-06079400-1338745019.jpg
594 KB, 914x685
>>70878193
Sure thing pal
>>
>>70878439
>a hivemind of beasts run by a queen who shits out drones by the millions
>hur dur let's make them lizards with swords for arms

Just fucking why.
>>
This series is absolutely fucking nuts. What happened? There are so many characters that just...disappeared after one or two books. Sentient raptors with blades for arms? All the different elves, the undead cavemen, I need a summary but the wiki is incomplete
>>
>>70878439
he should keep to writing desu
>>
>>70878544
>There are so many characters that just...disappeared after one or two books.

Name 5 that were central to the plot at any point and weren't either certified as lost by other people or literally killed off.
>>
>>70878638
Tattersail
>>
>>70878638
that barbarian faggot
i didn't finish the last book because his arc was so shit and he's such a fucking bore as a character
>>
>>70878638
you can just open up the stupid ass "dramatis personae" in the beginning of each book and pick at random lmao
>>
>>70878661
Was Tattersail even mentioned outside of the first book? There's lots of people who fall off the face of the world after being a part of one book.

>>70878725
>that barbarian faggot

Could you be more specific? There's a lot of those.
>>
>>70878852
>central to the plot
>>
>>70878916
if you asked erikson he would say they are all central to the plot :^)
>>
>>70878934
Eh, moving one storyline in one book forward != central to the plot.
>>
>>70878661
Ganoes would dissapear for books at a time as well.
>>
>>70878867
the super stronk faggot that could fight that elf king motherfucker who lost his memories
there's only one of those
>>
Mediocre fantasy adaptations are all the rage, so probably within the next couple of years.
>>
>>70879185
In that case, I hope we get a Malory adaptation soon.
>>
>>70879062
But Karsa Orlong is present for the fucking finale, he's literally one of the most important characters.
>>
>>70879258
exactly what im saying
>>70879258
>>
>>70878661
Tattersail was killed halfway through the first book.. I read them ages ago and I still remember that. She seemed like a main character then got blown up unceremoniously, so I thought, "oh, guess not then."

>>70879028
That's because Ganoes was part of one continent, different books changed to different continents. He was in all the books that were appropriate to his locations.
>>
>>70879302
But the discussion was major characters who fall off the face of the earth. That's the opposite thing.
>>
>>70879258
>>70879062

I think he meant Icarium? But yeah there are so many characters and a good number of them just vanish or die off panel. Some return, but not all. Some get setup for returns but never make them.
>>
>>70879384
>Name 5 that were central to the plot at any point and weren't either certified as lost by other people or literally killed off.

Not really though? Or this post is awfully phrased.

>>70879394
Karsa and Icarium both work. Also that military guy who becomes magical deck shaman.
>>
>>70879319
Yah but then shes brought back as Silverfox
>>
>>70879459
>Not really though?
People were bitching about characters that disappear after one or two books. The only reason to complain is if they're made out to be a major character and aren't killed off outright or implied killed elsewhere.

>>70879394
Icarium is still relevant even if the only closure you get for his arc is the same shit he's been doing for eons only this time it's the retarded Toblakai and not Mappo now.
>>
>>70879577
His post was phrased like shit, i read the books just fine. The first guy probably thinks characters disappear simply because you don't see them sometimes for a whole book and character arcs are long as fuck. And yeah some minor heroes probably do get swepped under the rug often.
>>
>>70879540
wait really?
>>
>>70876896
Never, which is good. Maybe we'll get vidya one day. Telltale Malazan.
>>
>>70878498
I don't know, maybe some fucking originality?
>>
>>70880841
Back in the 80s, which sounds like ancient history, back then every third computer game was a literary adaptation. The demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, than they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games decades ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 15 or 20 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.
>>
>>70879394
>>70878867
>>70878544

Okay, first of all, the reason why some characters disappear from the series is because there are actually two concurrent Malazan series of novels, both written by different authors. The main characters of each authors books make appearances in both series and their plotlines are intertwined.

About Tattersail, her soul became bound to an elder god and was later born again into the body of a tribal woman's infant as a new person with more than one soul fighting for dominance. This can easily be deduced by the end of the gardens of the moon and is flat out spelled out for you in memories of ice.
>>
>>70880988
Everyone needs a computer. Since everyone needs one, gaming companies can sell their shit to practically everyone.
>>70881013
Mmm, Tattersail. The fatty everyone wanted to sleep with.
>>
Shit would be even more streamlined than GoT is.

The first book has like 90 characters
>>
>>70879394
>>70879459

Maybe he means Brood?
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.