[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes these movies so great?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 14
File: LOTR.jpg (235 KB, 1011x500) Image search: [Google]
LOTR.jpg
235 KB, 1011x500
What makes these movies so great?
>>
>>70850283
Have you actually watched them?
Have you read the books?
Do you have an open mind and an imagination?
>>
>>70850283

niggers were the bad guys
>>
Everyone here praises it as if it's some great shakes when in reality it made the deadly serious character of Gimli into comic relief and portrayed pipeweed (canon nicotine) as marijuana. It also was cavalier with the English language. The film creators clearly did not care about the source material.
>>
>>70850313
>it's like a 12 hour masterpiece where every frame is genius
>gimli is funny therefore is sucks
>>
>>70850313
>Muh Tom Bombadil
Fuck off Christopher, you're still getting royalties.
>>
the soundtrack
>>
>>70850283
Passionate talented crew and no blacks
>>
>>70850384
/thread
>>
>>70850369
The cavalier use of language is the worst part. Tolkien was a philologist and put a lot of care and thought into his dialogue. The screenplays for these abominations reflect very little of that. It's heartbreaking. You haven't read the books, or else you'd understand.
>>
>>70850283

>performances
>music
>practical effects

I don't give a shit what other people think, I think these are the actual reasons of importance
>>
Lack of black people and women
>>
the most over-rated movies of the last 20 years
>>
>>70850384
This desu
>>
File: myking.jpg (133 KB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
myking.jpg
133 KB, 1920x800
>>70850283
It's the pinnacle of story-driven filmography. Unlike the cesspool of overrated adaptations ranging from Shawshank (1994) to Race (2016), these actually had real effort put to them to capture the vision of the source.
>>
>>70850476
More overrated than abatap?
>>
>>70850369
He's right, though. If you had the attention span to read the books, you'll know that, not only Gimli, but also more plot central characters like Faramir and Denethor were utterly violated in these flicks. Hell, the Ents decided to fuck off with the war until Pippin showed them the burned trees, whereas in the book they found Treebeard because he was already meditating on what he should do.

So fuck these movies. Fuck Jackson. And fuck you.
>>
>>70850440
this

casting was perfect
score was impeccable
and the practical effects were probably the best practical effects in cinema, and they didn't cheap out halfway through after they had people hooked, they kept up the production quality throughout

So much talent and movie making passion went into these films, and it shows

Actually impossible for any other fantasy movie/movies to come anywhere close due to the grandfather of modern fantasy being the source material, and because the source material was treated so well

Visual storytelling at it's absolute finest
>>
dated as shit
>>
>>70850399
this
>>
>>70850566
THIS
>>
>>70850560
people will tell me that these movies ruined the source material because of all these little changes here and there, but I honestly think they just knew what would translate to film well and what wouldn't. Or maybe we just make these movies 6 hours long and fit every little thing you want in
>>
>>70850566

I watched it a few months ago and it still looks fantastic.

Not to mention far better than any movie that's come out recently. I saw Warcraft the other day and it looks like absolute shit.
>>
>>70850560
having watched the making of recently, i agree with this. the cast and the practical effects in particular, are GOAT-tier.
>>
>>70850420
I've read the book and I'd argue there's quite a lot of Tolkiens style of dialogue in the film, but a lot of it just doesn't translate well to a film, as it would come or stilted and awkward
>>
>>70850313
m8, everyone knows /tv/ is the only place in 4chan that respects the books (fuck /lit/). The only guys that "praise" these steamig piles of hollywood cashgrab are redditors baited by the OP who only want to fit in with the community
>>
Just as bad as the hobbit to be honest. It's just nostalgia that makes people think it's somehow superior.
>>
>>70850640
I recommend suicide, faggot
>>
>>70850522
It's an adaptation anon
>>
>>70850638

Agreed. It's like Shakespeare, reads well and appropriate for many plays. But in a modern movie people will get annoyed at how retarded the characters sound while speaking.

Like the movie with Leo.
>>
>>70850560
>they kept up the production quality throughout

Although all 3 movies have stellar quality I would argue that there's still a dip in RotK
>>
>>70850640
Nope, I genuinely love these movies. And the book. The fact that you sperg out that it isn't a one to one translation from the text is retarded, and if you ever expected that you're retarded.
>>
>>70850682
Found the redditor
>>70850692
You mean bastardization, just because you change the media don't mean you can't capture the feeling. Though Jackson clearly couldn't
>>
The only.good lotr movie is fellowship. All the rest are actual trash.
>>
Bookfags will never understand that books and movies are two entirely different kinds of media. If you want your movies to be good, changes MUST be made. Not everything in books translates over to film. Some great books translate so poorly that it's actually next to impossible to even do, because they were written for something entirely different. This is the best an adaptation could ever be.

>BUT MUH TOM BOMBADIL

fuck
>>
>>70850420
Condensing the source material into a screenplay (even an 11.5h one) would inevitably cut a lot of dialogue. To justify the cost of the series, it also needed to appeal to a lot of people (which it clearly did) which in itself is a difficult task, but it was even harder for Jackson due to the fact that he was deeply committed to the project and wanted the film to conform to his vision for it. He wanted (and made sure that) the film had an exceptional production value, which is reflected in arguably every aspect of the production itself without skipping plot details from the book (which for the most part, it didn't - but details are always going to be cut).

As for the language itself, I see your point but I don't think that takes away from the value of the film itself nor do I think it would have been possible to include the dialogue from the source material to the depth to which I think you believe it should have been, simply due to the fact that it would have meant less abridged dialogue; a good thing in and of itself, but this would have led to dialogue screen-time and would have pushed the film over a budget it was already stretching thin.

I think, if you instead chose to appreciate something like LOTR for all of its positive qualities (and there are many) and giving the filmmaking process some thought so you have a better perspective instead of being an
>or else you'd understand
(shit)posting, arrogant contrarian on /tv/ you would get more out of life.
>>
>>70850754
Sorry bud, not being an actual retard has taught me that Two Towers is best
>>
>>70850522
>m-muh storybooks

Shut the fuck up, faggot.

If you're having an autistic fit just because the movie slightly deviates from the source material then you need to take a step back and look at the rest of the fucking film medium and then promptly kill yourself.
>>
File: Tom Bombadil.jpg (203 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Tom Bombadil.jpg
203 KB, 1024x768
>>70850767
I've read LOTR 8 times. I've put myself through TOM BOMBADIL 8 times. Everyone should suffer as I have suffered.
>>
>>70850793
The fuck, Anon?
Tom Bombadil is the greatest character.

He's God.
He's Tolkien.
He's the land.
He's time.
He's the fucking Soul of Middle Earth and you toss him aside.

Shame.
>>
>>70850767
This. The movies were great and still are
>>
>>70850825
>toss him aside
I just told you I read the book 8 times without skipping his chapters.
>>
>>70850825

>He's God.
>He's Tolkien.
>He's the land.
>He's time.
>He's the fucking Soul of Middle Earth
>He's a shitty character and a blemish upon this story and you toss him aside.

ftfy
>>
>>70850834
describing your time in the house of Bombadil as suffering implies your dismissal
>>
>>70850825
Sounds like a shitty fanfic character written by a 12 year old
>>
>>70850859
Acknowledging he was a horrible waste of space and time is not dismissal, it's realism and honesty.
>>
>>70850785
>Le nothing happens: the movie
>>
File: 1376189496589.jpg (13 KB, 250x223) Image search: [Google]
1376189496589.jpg
13 KB, 250x223
>>70850878
Except the MOST happens?
>>
>>70850868
>>70850873
*shakes head
what a waste
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3592
>tfw I'll never finish reading it because of my internet addiction
Feels bad. I used to read 100+ books a year and I haven't finished one in the last three years.
>>
>>70850888
Gollum is introduced and Aragorn gets sidetracked. That's pretty much it
>>
>>70850792
Can't into reading, redditor? There weren't any "slight" changes. Everyone was taken out of character.
>>
>>70850895
I know, it was a waste.
>>70850907
>100+ books a year
That's too much, pay actual attention to what you read.
>>
>>70850792

You fucking worm. How DARE you think you can reply to me like that. How fucking dare you. A little no lifer worm, a weasel, a COCKROACH on /tv/, thinking he has any right to speak to me like that. A fucking homunculus of a human being, a walking mouth and brain stem, thinks it's a good idea to talk to me that way.

Seriously, I could fucking kill you and not only would nobody care, but they'd actually feel somewhat relieved that you finally found your place in life as food for the insects and the bacteria.
>>
>>70850895
Christopher Tolkien, fuck off.
>>
>>70850859
listen

Being a fan of something also means giving it constructive criticism. Being a fan of something means you'd want bad things about it to be fixed. If you're a Star Wars fan, you should be angry that it was fucking destroyed by the shit prequels, not guzzle shit while saying "I'm a true star wars fan, so I automatically like everything with Star Wars in the title"

So naturally being a LotR fan means that you should want one of the worst things about it fixed for the better of the story, so in other words, GETTING RID OF EVERY FUCKING TRACE OF RETARD ASS TOM BOMBADIL
>>
>>70850932
>That's too much
It really isn't and it really isn't difficult to pay attention to a book just because you read it quickly.
>>
>>70850932
>pay actual attention to what you read
But that's not a fun way to read, I like to read in a way that projects a movie into my mind.
>>
He >>70850792 wasn' t talking to>>70850935 but to me.

Though you're probably the same person, judging by your redditor prose
>>
>>70850915
That is such an unfair assessment

Come on man. You can make a dumb post like that for Fellowship too where "They fought a Balrog and then Boromir dies in the woods"
>>
>>70850935
uhh...

Is this a pasta I've never seen before or something? Genuinely curious
>>
>>70850953
Tom Bombadil cares little
of your finding him a nettle

he continues to live by that brook
under cloud and sky

regardless of your opinions of him
he will continue long after you
>>
File: 1448059061488.jpg (553 KB, 1938x1418) Image search: [Google]
1448059061488.jpg
553 KB, 1938x1418
>>70850283

everything

The story of a small Hobbit who chooses to bear the Ring to the realm of Mordor, knowing he will most likely not come back, yet willing to sacrifice himself so that his friends and family may survive.
The story of a lone ranger, heir to ancient kingdoms of men, reluctantly choosing the path that leads to the crown of Gondor.
Gandalf, the wise old wizard guiding them along until he has to sacrifice himself for the good of the others.
Sam, Legolas, Gimly, loyal companions; a level of friendship we seldom see on cinema screen. Pippin and Merry, even though they err, they still do what they have to do, against all the odds.
Boromir, a proud human who falls to the temptations of the Ring, yet comes back and makes his final sacrifice defending his friends.

A film based on a script that come from an era, back when men were still men, friendship and loyalty meant something. Combined with great cinematography and soundtrack, The Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of the greatest works of art seen on a big screen.
>>
>>70850935
Real funny faggot ass bitch. You think this is a joke? You think giving me lip is a good idea? I'll fucking murder you.

Yeah making fun of me is so funny, so funny I forgot to laugh. If you wanna talk like that to me why don't you come here and say it to me face so I can answer your insults with a swift fist to the nose. Yeah you have a lot to say from hundreds of miles away but I bet if my fists were in reach of your face you would be like a tv on mute with no volume button. So do yourself a favor and keep your mouth shut unless you want to die. Next time you think about saying something like that to me I want you to remember one thing. I know the guy that created google maps and I can locate you in the time it took me to type this. Don't want anymore problems.... didn't think so faggot. You have any idea what gorilla warfare is? I do, I was in the US Marine Core and I perfected it. I'm fully capable of using it on you motherfuckers. Do you know the dander your in if I find you? I am 100$ serious. Bunch of god damn newfaf loser here and I will not have it. At least I've had sex, had girlfriends, and gotten laid, and blowjobbed unlike you virgin piece of unpatriotic SHIT.
>>
File: pepe.png (145 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
145 KB, 540x540
>>70851027
TOM BOMBADIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>70850996
Dude, the pacing is fucked. It' like an hour of build up to helms deep. Except is not build up but filler. Also they cut off shelobs lair for the next movie. All in all, the worst of the three
>>
Atmosphere.

Viggo Mortensen.
>>
>>70850918
>The ents didnt need Pippin becuz in the books they were already planning to attack neway!!

Try wrapping your thick fucking head around the fact that maybe small plot changes like this are utterly unimportant in the grand scale of the entire plot you fucking dunce
>>
>>70851090
Is being an actor actually a curse when the true source of your power comes from breaking your own bones?
>>
>>70851068
Ring a dong! Dillo!
Is something wrong?
Merry dol? Derry dol!
Hop along! Hop along!
>>
>>70850907
>not permanently blocking 4chan from your browser

I'm currently using the steam overlay browser, I wish I could block it from my phone too
>>
>>70851099
I know you're fishing for (you)s so how about Denethor? They left his story more or less the same, except they straight up made him behave like a villain, whereas in the book he had more nuance and, yes, emotional depth. Of course you wouldn't know that because you didn't read the books and, again, are just replying for the sake of it
>>
Peter Jackson has never made a great film

you faggots like the books. it's akin to BvS shitposters
>>
>>70851229
>overlooking Fellowship
>>
>>70850907
>read hundreds of books
>none of them were Lord of the Rings
>>
File: IMG_20160615_111134.jpg (216 KB, 1011x500) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160615_111134.jpg
216 KB, 1011x500
>>
>>70851087
Also, cutting Shelob from Two Towers completely fucks the pacing of Return of the King
>>
>>70850283

>Stable story line with steady character development and good composed story, most of the actors were good and believable.

This is what makes sequels possible and people actually looking forward to them
>>
>>70850313
Mm
Arent they old now?
>>
File: defdf.jpg (48 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
defdf.jpg
48 KB, 960x720
>tfw I went to live orchestra play of Lotr soundtrack
>tfw Riders of Rohan starts playing
maaaaan i was jizzing all over the place
>>
I have a drinkgame for you. Watch two towers and drink every time there's a close up on the face of the actors.
>>
>>70850792
>slightly deviates

>Sauron is now a giant eye floating on top of Barad-dûr
>Grey Company is a legion of green deus ex machina that devours the orc army at Pelennor Fields
>Aragorn falls off a cliff and wanders around Rohan alone for half the movie
>Gimli is a comic relief
>Legolas is a superhero
>no Barrow-wights
>no Scouring of the Shire
>no Imrahil
>no witty banter between Aragorn and his buddy Éomer
>>
>>70851418
Actually, Gollum was more of a comic relief than Gimli

>Gollum: They took it from us
>Faramir: They took, what?
>Gollum: MY PRECIOUS GRRAAAAARRRGHHH!!!!!

What the fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>70851030
>great cinematography and soundtrack
Why do plebs always say this? Was the art design not good? Was the art direction not good? Were the special effects not good? Was the fight choreography not good? Was the direction not good? Were the performances not good? Was the makeup not good? Was the sound recording not good? Was the sound design not good? Was the foley not good? Was the costuming not good? Was the smithing not good? Was the editing not good? Was it not well graded? Were the locations not good? Was it not written well? Weren't the animals wrangled well? Did the goddamn catering not boost morale and improve everything?

Just say 'great production'.
>>
File: 1454381837641.jpg (16 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1454381837641.jpg
16 KB, 300x250
>>70851418
>"And so at length Éomer and Aragorn met in the midst of the battle, and they leaned on their swords and looked on one another and were glad.
>"'Thus we meet again, though all the hosts of Mordor lay between us', said Aragorn. 'Did I not say so at the Hornburg?'"

>mfw this wasn't in the movie
>>
>>70851497
Except the cinematography is shit. You barely even see costums or sets, since ninety percent of the shots are fucking close ups. Watch an exchange of dialogue and try to count the edit cuts from one face to another. Great cinematography my ass
>>
>>70851555
Fellowship has excellent cinematography
>>
>>70851555
Yes exactly i think what people generally mean by 'the cinematography is good' is that it looks good and LOTR looks good because of Weta and their location scouts.
>>
>>70851624
Better than the other two, no doubt. Though i wouldn't call it excellent
>>
>>70851642
So, when people say cinematography the actually mean photography?
>>
>>70851679
I would take cinematography to mean "everything that comes together into the photograph".

Wardrobe, actors plus traditional photography tropes.
>>
>>70851731
>cinematography
Well then you would be wrong and haven't even bothered to google a word you are readily about to give a definition for. Cinematography is the way the scene is shot, Production design is the way the things being shot look.
>>
>>70850630
Warcraft: good CGI, shit story, shit actors
LOTR: good CGI, good story, for the most part decent actors
Hobbit: good CGI, good story (if stretched out way too long), shit actors.
>>
>>70851895
dude fuck you
google says it's "The art of making motion pictures"

so cram it
>>
>>70851731
No, It's the photography. Director of photography is a synonym for cinematographer. That should give you a hint
>>
why does this series attract so many racists?
>>
Where did Beorn come from? Who made this guy
>>
>>70851418
>Sauron is now a giant eye floating on top of Barad-dûr

How is that a bad thing? It made him into one of the most recognizable icons in cinematic history. Even people who have never had a single thing to do with Lord of the Rings still know of Sauron.
>>
>>70851980
fuckin' orcs man
coming up from their caves
with their black language
shit.
>>
>>70851980
All the black people are evil and all the whites are good. You work it out.

Even Tolkein admitted he fucked up in that regard.
>>
>>70851731
Are you a retard? Cinematography is about the placement of cameras and the elements in the shot.
>>
>>70850420
muh T-V distinction
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 1036x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 1036x640
FORM RANKS
DISCUSSION IN THE BACK
MEME POSTERS IN THE FRONT
>>
>>70852001
See >>70851924 , ya R-tard.
>>
Viggo basically carries the entire trilogy on his back. Sure Ian and Sean Astin were also amazing, but Aragorn was the one character that could not fail and a more perfect casting choice for him could not exist
>>
>>70851986
It's never stated. Personally, i thought he was a man who learned to change hue from Radagast, as in the hobbit he says they're acquintances. Although now i think it's the other way around and he's a bear that can turn human
>>
>>70851999
Maybe that's why he made Ghan buri ghan
>>
>>70852039
wrong picture nigga
>>
>>70851911

>hobbit
>good cgi

lmao m8
>>
>>70852207
Say what you want man but that dragon was sexy.
>>
>>70852228

smaug was good, but pretty much everything else was dogshit
>>
>>70850375
No, fuck you. I still can't get up these goddamn steps, you young fuck.
>>
>>70851986
>>70852141
I always assumed Beorn was one of the elder gods, one degree higher, older, than the Istari wizards.

My Silmarillion's rusty, though.
>>
>muh tom bombadil

literally the worst thing about the books
>>
There's only white people and archetypes in them
>>
>>70852270
>worst thing about the books
literally the best pleb litmus test

Tom Bombadilly-yo.
>>
>>70852228
>>70852246
Botticelli Constantine really put in the extra effort with that one.
>>
>>70851361

good for you dude. haven't watched the trilogy in ages but I remember all of them having a goat-tier soundtrack

I hate the fact that in the last ten years, I can't remember a single movie that had a goat-tier soundtrack except for man of steel and batman v superman. what the hell is up with that?

anyone have a secret tip?
>>
>>70852654
I feel ya. I've been racking my brains for good soundtracks and all I've got is the stuff Trent Reznor's been doing.

Social Network
Girl Dragon Tattoo
Gone Girl

Orchestrated works.. I don't know. Maybe I'm just jaded and don't notice. Or maybe pop music is being used more in the films I'm catching.
>>
>>70850283
The last good films that are not SJW bullshit
>>
>>70852789
It had one "strong female character" moment and it honestly wasn't bad
>>
>>70852654
Interstellar
Inception
The Dark Knight
Inside Out
Gone Girl / TGWTDT
Sicario
It Follows
Oblivion
Star Wars
The Hobbit movies
Prometheus
Inherent Vice
>>
>>70852905
Tron Legacy
Gravity
Under the Skin
The Tree of Life
The Master / TWBB
>>
>>70850283
Excellent filmmaking.

>performances
>shot composition
>locations
>sets
>appropriate CGI usage
>practical effects
>costumes
>make-up and prosthetics
>editing
>music
>props
>narrative

Every aspect is pristine.
>>
>>70850825
Tolkien himself tossed him aside after that one chapter. He's shit.
>>
>>70852789
>Bwahaha No man can kill me !
>I am no man!

>Arwen my daughter, don't marry this Dunedain Human nigger, betray your people and be a race traitor
>but... love

>We must stop cutting down forests and encroaching on the natural world with industrial development or it will violently destroy us

LOTR is full of 'SJW bullshit'

>>70852001
No. Cinematography is the work of the camera dept, the grips (tripods, dollies, cranes etc), the lighting department and the grading. So the composition, focus, the lighting, the colours and camera movement. Not the elements in the shot.
>>
>>70853094
Adding some female characters to a story does not equal SJW. It all fits in. Did you want a sausage fest?
>>
>>70851555
>You barely even see costums or sets
>ninety percent of the shots are close ups
>>
>>70853092
Tolkien created Bombadil years prior to Fellowship for his son and loved the character enough to include him in the culmination of his life's work.
>>
>>70853124
Miranda Otto slays the witch king merely by virtue of being female and Liv Tyler is a race traitor who bests all of the Nazgul.
>>
>"Gandalf the White". Gandalf the fool!
Bravo Jackson
>>
>>70852721

social network didn't do it for me as well as girl with the dragon tat. I think gone girl was fine though

>>70852905

most of those are all hans zimmer. he's basically pleb tier by now. love all of his work. that's why man of steel has my favourite soundtrack from the last couple of years. every song is just on the point

loved the interstellar soundtrack too, made the movie much better than it was. most of the other (non-hans-zimmer) ones are okay-tier though

>>70852975

watched under the skin just yesterday. had a really awesome soundtrack if you can even call it that. too bad I expected a whole other movie though. thought I was going to watch some thriller kind of movie and got an arthouse type of movie instead. should've read at least some kind of summary or review before
>>
>>70853204
>didn't get the scene
He didn't mean 'no man can kill me' literally

Anyway if you think THIS is SJW, then life must be hell for you.
>>
>>70853262
Oh, just thought of another soundtrack that impressed me:

There Will be Blood

Whole time I watching it I kept thinking "good music". Find out later it was collab'ed by a Radiohead member. Wasn't surprised.
>>
>>70853124
Eowyn is mocked for wanting to fight- her father, the king, says women do not belong on the battlefield. She proves him wrong by slaying one of the most powerful villains. It's a fucking great moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrCvgiQGh1o

How is this not 'social justice'?

Social justice- justice in terms of the distribution of wealth, --opportunities--, and privileges within a society.

She is literally a social justice warrior.

How are Arwen and Aragorn not 'race traitors' when their differences are far greater than any between humans on earth?
>>
>>70853094
If you don't think taking care of our environment is a worthy theme of literature, I want you to get in your car, in your garage with the door still down, and let your car run for a few hours.
>>
File: 467456546456.jpg (47 KB, 1402x984) Image search: [Google]
467456546456.jpg
47 KB, 1402x984
>>70853354
calm down reddit
>>
>>70853289
Yes he did, it is a legitimate prophecy from Glorfindel that no man can kill him.
>>
>>70853395
Baka. The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive
>>
>>70853354

hobbits killed the witch king tho
>>
>>70853429
>>70853289
The whole point of that was that in Macbeth it was prophesied that no man of woman born could kill him, and they got around that by saying Macduff was born by a C-section. Tolkien thought that was retarded so he made his killing done by a woman.
>>
>>70853454
It's a shame we're screwing the world up for the plants and animals.

But people like you make me believe we fucking deserve it.
>>
>>70850283
Love.
>>
>>70853492
Well yea the prophecy didn't say anything about manlets. But Pippin/ Merry just cut him on the leg, wimmen are strong stabbed him in the fucking face. It was a group effort i guess.
>>
>>70850283
Peter Jackson was still a horror movie director at this time.
>>
>>70850313
There's a fanedit which brings it closer to the books. I think it's called the Red Book edit.
>>
>>70850723
I blame the CGI set pieces.
>>
>>70853562
What have plants and animals ever done for me? The world can suck my dick
>>
>>70853734
Oxygen and food come to mind.
>>
>The houses of healing and the wedding of Eowyn and Faramir was not only shot but the costume designer said that it was the best work that she had ever done
>It has NEVER EVER made it to any release whatsoever and nobody outside of executives and editors have seen it because of this

JUST
>>
>>70853204
>He thinks the "no man can kill me" line is literal.
Wew lad. Please stop whining about things you clearly know nothing about
>>
>>70853780
They aren't doing shit for me, they don't make me breakfast, they don't contribute to society, they are food, but they don't give it, I TAKE it. What the fuck has oxygen got to do with plants and animals you fucking inbred?
>>
File: 1383198894328.png (574 KB, 689x569) Image search: [Google]
1383198894328.png
574 KB, 689x569
>>70853874
No one is this retarded. Stop baiting
>>
>>70853860
"Eärnur wishes to pursue him, but Glorfindel bids him not to and prophesies the Witch-king will fall in the far future, but not by "the hand of man". Many years later, Éowyn (a woman) kills the Witch-king during the Battle of Pelennor Fields, assisted by Meriadoc Brandybuck (a manlet)."

It is literal
>>
>>70853896
your mum is
>>
>>70853901
The only reason she's able to kill him is because of the blade Merry stabbed his leg with. She would have been just incapable as any man otherwise. You should know this.
>>
>>70853354
>Eowyn whines about not getting to fight and then abandons her duties and her people to do so
>After one brief campaign, she NOPEs the fuck out of warfare forever, marries a handsome nobleman and devotes the rest of her life to raising a family and caring for all living things

Yeah, totally the narrative that feminists are pushing these days.
>>
>>70853849
What? Any info on this? The Houses of Healing did make it to the extended edition
>>
>>70853901
Merrys Barrow downs dagger is literally the only reason she was able to kill him, and a dude could've done the exact same thing
>>
>>70853901
The hole here is that it was Merry after all and "man" was a unisex term.

It's Tolkein having fun with Shakespeare.
>>
>>
>tfw watched the lord of the rings so many fuckin times they're not fun any more.

Well at least I can still rewatch the making of, again and again and again. GOATest of the GOAT, that shit.

And I can reread the silmarillion, the children of hurin, the hobbit, the lord of the rings. And read tales from the perilous realm, and tolkien's beowulf translation, and unfinished tales. . .
>>
>>70854135
I suffer a little from this syndrome.
I've watched them so many times, they are my favorites movies no doubt.
I still listen to the soundtrack almost everyday.
But if I start watching them, I start to yawn.
>>
>>70854104
I went from being angry with Jackson for fucking up the hobbit so badly to pitying the man once the making of came out.

Fucking Hollywood.
>>
>>70853958
except that doesn't happen in the film.
>>
>>70850283
>atmosphere
>perfect casting and performances
>soundtrack
>>
Lots of slow-motion and sad music

10/10, the feels :)
>>
>>70851989
he's buttblasted because m-m-muhhh books
>>
>>70850283
because they're the perfect book movies. I remember reading the books as a kid and then watching the movie and being absolutely amazed, because I didn't expect them to put so much time and detail into the world. LOTR was the first movie I really got into, before then I only read books, because often times I felt like movies didn't do the story justice. But LOTR blew my mind
>>
>>70850313
>portrayed pipeweed (canon nicotine) as marijuana
literally factually false
>>
>>70850313
actually is isn't cannon nicotine. Tolkien REFUSED to use the word tobacco instead using pipe-weed
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.