[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favorite decade of film? Mine is 1969 - 1979 What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: thecar5big.jpg (1 MB, 1934x1088) Image search: [Google]
thecar5big.jpg
1 MB, 1934x1088
What is your favorite decade of film?

Mine is 1969 - 1979

What I like most is the characteristic kind of grit and washed out color that I assume was caused by the kind of film they used. As soon as a movie from that era comes on I become transfixed and teleport to a different place in time. What about you?
>>
>>70845518
Include examples if you like, too. Some of my favorites would be Easy Rider, 2001, The Shining, Apocalypse Now, and Star Wars.
>>
Really? Are there only Baneposters on right now?
>>
80s
>>
>>70845518
1975-1985, I think.
>>
I like that blurry makeup shit they do in 80s movies. Like people are glowing.
>>
>>70845518
I like the 80s a lot

most of my favorites movies are from that decade
>>
>>70845518
1960s - 2000's

After 2005 is when they decided to use more CGI and less practicals unfortunately.

I still enjoy movies today but the far too much use of CGI annoys me
>>
>>70846562
Videodrome anyone?
>>
>>70845518

i'm particularly fond of the macho era, 80's to 90's flick, like rocky, rambo, he-man, terminator, copland, commando, etc. i just want burly men killing people none of this kungfu shit
>>
>>70846745
Sadly violence movies like Scarface will never be made ever game in Hollywood.

Directors are too far up their ass these days with PG 13 content to satisfy big box office hits.
>>
Probably 1948-1958

But 2 of my 4 favorite films came out in 1962
>>
>>70845518
It's funny that you like that OP, because that's a big turn off for me when it comes to that Era of film. It's not a deal breaker, there are plenty of good movies that I enjoy that are like that, but it is offputting.
>>
seems like anything from the late 60s and 70s is watchable
>>
>>70846792
Wow my english fucking sucked there.

I apologize
>>
i only watch black and white movies from the southwestern german empire 1912 to 1915

just kidding go kill yourself you fucking hipster

movies become increasingly and noticeably better for every decade and if you can't see that then you're a depressed nostalgiafag who needs to swiftly kill himself
>>
>>70846792

There are tons of violent films that make Scarface look like shit for babbies you fucking moron.

1. You're just desensitized to it, or so used to it you don't notice
2. You have a delusional hard-on for "muh good ol' days" and use mental gymnastics to act like it's superior in every way
>>
>>70845518
Same for me. A lot of my favorite movies are from the 70s.

Chinatown, The Conversation, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, All The President's Men, Annie Hall, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, Alien, The Godfather I and II, Barry Lyndon... geez, what a decade.
>>
>Scorsese my favorite director
>Taxi Driver is 1976
>Goodfellas is 1990

I can't play this game anon
>>
>>70846804
this should just be a 70s thread actually https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q-hSSks9fU
>>
File: Classic 80's.png (173 KB, 835x2519) Image search: [Google]
Classic 80's.png
173 KB, 835x2519
>>70845518

multiple viewings wit a wide set of friends and family
>>
Why is this thread on page 10 with only 14 contributors and 20 posts? What the FUCK happened to /tv/?
>>
It happened again!
>>
>>70848968
pretty sad desu senpai
>>
I can't choose a single decade.

There is so much good stuff from pretty much every country in the world from 1960 - 1975. Television lit a fire under their ass and the modern blockbuster had not yet ruined Hollywood completely. France, Japan, Germany, Soviet Union, even the UK released a ton of great shit.
>>
>>70848968
This is the future we chose. /film/ when?
>>
I remember the shitty technicolor look lasted up until 1968. In 1969, film started appearing more realistic with films like Midnight Cowboy and Medium Cool. This gritty film quality lasted up until 1981 when the dark areas in films had more depth to them and actually looked dark. Good example of this would be An American Werewolf in London. In 1984, films got bright again and had a glossy, shitty makeover like Ghostbusters. The darks were too bright again minus the grit of the 70's. In 1988, films started to have this sickening, pastel, glossed over quality about them. This lasted up until 1995 when movies started to look HARD and a bit dark (best way I can describe it). Then in 1998, movies started to have that fucking pastel look about them again. Then in 2004 that's when the shit really hit the fan. All movies had obvious cg in the background. This was cinema hell. Movies just didn't look real anymore. And it's been that way ever since.
>>
>>70846992
That's one incredible list. Will we ever see a decade like this again?
>>
>>70852571
You are generalizing a lot here. Different lenses, cameras, film stock, film formats, lighting decisions, exposure decisions, processing decisions, etc... Your timeline is just gay.
>>
File: lostworld.jpg (385 KB, 2048x1071) Image search: [Google]
lostworld.jpg
385 KB, 2048x1071
>>70845518
i'm the opposite op, i hate the color palette of most of those 70s flicks. alien did it right, but china town for example has a horrible "feel" to it.

90s were the best era so far in movies.
>>
1968-1978

What I like most is the characteristic kind of grit and washed out color that I assume was caused by the kind of film they used. As soon as a movie from that era comes on I become transfixed and teleport to a different place in time.
>>
early 70s to early 80s

1971 to 1983 to be precise
>>
2006-2016
>>
00s.
>>
Comfiness: 1940s
Best character pieces: 1970s
Most fun: 1980s
>>
Decade? Pffft! How about centuries?

I chose the 17th century, the most delicious century of them all.
>>
>>70852571
This is stupidest thing I've read all day, and it's only morning here.
>>
File: UALEaLq.jpg (14 KB, 320x290) Image search: [Google]
UALEaLq.jpg
14 KB, 320x290
>those gun, punch, and explosion sound effects in 80s movies
Absolutely irreplaceable. I love the shoddy sound design in action movies from those days
>>
>>70846745
I love those movies senpai
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.