[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is Kubrick's best movie. 1. Eyes Wide Shut 2.Shining
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 354x475) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 354x475
This is Kubrick's best movie.

1. Eyes Wide Shut
2.Shining
3. Full Metal Jacket
4.The fucking rest
>>
>>70796616
Why did Kubrick die right after he finished the movie?
>>
>>70796616
1. Barry Lyndon
2. Eyes Wide Shut

Then the rest. The Shining is midway on the list and Full Metal Jacket is closer to the bottom.
>>
>>70796714
You didn't like Dr. Strangelove? I liked it better than his dramas, I don't think he has the range for it. He could either bave been a dp or made comedies.
>>
>>70796810
I think dr. Strangelove is the best movie he did and everything else kinda just became pulp he made.

I am surprised with Full Metal Jacket
>>
>>70796810
>You didn't like Dr. Strangelove?
Huh? I didn't mention Dr Strangelove. I like all of his films, save for his pre-Killing ones, which I haven't seen.
>>
>>70796891
I don't care for full metal jacket. Drags out, silly photography, I cared about none of the characters at all. The suicide scene was edgy for the sake of edgy. Platoon is the best Vietnam movie imo.
>>
>>70796616
Spartacus my fave. Seems like a black sheep opinion around here
>>
>>70797081
I think Full Metal Jacket is overrated but Platoon outright sucks.
>>
>>70797395
Nah, it's an internal struggle played out on screen using characters and is interesting because one can identify with both sides of the coin.
>>
>>70797395
>>70797581
You're both idiots, The Deer Hunter is best Vietnam kino.
>>
>>70797081
> Platoon is the best Vietnam movie imo.
i agree
>>
>>70797581
Not interesting in the slightest.
>>70797724
I didn't say anything about the Deer Hunter. Maybe you're an idiot too.
>>
>>70797724
>an hour and a half of wedding scene
>pow camp is the only memorable scene

Nope. Just skip to the roulette scene then turn it off because you've seen the deer hunter.
>>
File: 1464215964432.png (260 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
1464215964432.png
260 KB, 563x542
>>70797916
>wedding scene was plebfilter
>>
>>70796616
1. Dr Strangelove
2. Clockwork
3. The shins

Eyes wide shut was so bad Kubrick literally died
>>
>>70797983
I sat through the entire movie. The purpose of the wedding scene was to stress the innocence of the main characters and the way that vietnam took it from them later. Most 70s movies have an enormous pacing problem exactly like the deer hunter. It could have been done in 20 minutes, not an hour and a half.
>>
>>70798056
>Most 70s movies have an enormous pacing problem exactly like the deer hunter.
I agree with you on the Deer Hunter but you're veering off into retard territory.
>>
>>70798122
Come on, a ton of 70s movies have paving issues and you know it. It is part of what is noticable about the decade.
>>
>>70798174
Name 3 others
>>
>>70798174
No, you just have a shit attention span. You might as well throw in every decade of film before the 70's as well, as it seems you were weaned on blockbusters.
>>
>>70798273
Lmao no I don't, I watched tons of long movies even at a young age. My favorite movie has bee the Good the Bad and the Ugly since I was 8 and watched it with my grandpa.

cookoos nest has an extra 20 minutes on it

exorcist has 20 extra minutes

So does Alien

so does kramer vs kramer

But you're right in that none of them do it as insanely badly as Deer Hunter.
>>
>>70798489
Also if you ever get the chance watch The Duelists, it was Ridley Scotts first movie. It's pretty good, also slow but good. The jist is that there is an officer with a death wish who duels constantly and a lower rank one sent to stop him who has a strong sense of honor. They end up dueling 5 times over 10 years and a war with all different weapons. It's a movie that women wouldn't understand.
>>
>>70798489
>Lmao no I don't, I watched tons of long movies even at a young age.
That's not what I said. I said you were weaned on blockbusters. That is, you might have seen different styles of movies in your lifetime, but you're most used to Hollywood blockbusters.
>My favorite movie has bee the Good the Bad and the Ugly since I was 8 and watched it with my grandpa.
Shitty favorite movie. And your grandpa was a homosexual.
>cookoos nest has an extra 20 minutes on it
>exorcist has 20 extra minutes
>So does Alien
>so does kramer vs kramer
What does that mean? How is it you think this serves as legitimate criticism? Again, you just have a shitty attention span.
>But you're right in that none of them do it as insanely badly as Deer Hunter.
I'm right about something I didn't say. Thanks.
>>
>>70796664

He was pulling Tom Cruise away from Scientology and was punished for it
>>
>>70798750
>implying it wasn't the Government shutting him up about the moon landing
>>
>>70798734
I like points to be concise. I prefer John Locke to Voltiare. I dislike fluff over substance. I'd rather watch Chinatown than Godfather because Godfather drags out far more. Chinatown has the mystery to keep you involved.
>>
>>70797081
>The suicide scene was edgy for the sake of edgy.

Are you fucking goddamn retarded? Suicide in the military is a very real thing, the whole fucking point is that the hyper masculinity of the army is heartless and cold for the sake of efficiency and people like Pyle get weeded out with often tragic results.

You really fucking make me sick. I don't even like FMJ that much but Jesus people really will say anything when they're anonymous won't they?
>>
>>70799021
Yeah, good thing too. Now he won't snap and get the actual men killed. It was lame and I don't care about suicide in the military.
>>
am i the only one who honest to god thought the shining was terrible
>>
>>70796616
Shining is dogshit with iconic imagery, not an entertaining, scary, or interesting movie in the slightest.

Full Metal Jacket has 25 good minutes, the rest is filler.
>>
>>70799084

Yes.
>>
>>70799058
>Depictions of things I don't care about are edgy

I take my meanness back, you're just a typical dope.
>>
>>70799084
>>70799094
evidently i'm not, thank you based anon
>>
>>70799084
Yep, why'd you think that?
>>
>>70799116
>look at this statistic

Wow, so deep I can really read into that subtext. Thanks for being edgy and political. That really takes some skill.
>>
>>70798820
You might think you sound smart, but you're actually a flaming homosexual. You could argue Chinatown is just as poorly paced as any other typical 70's film, but what keeps you engaged is the material. It's almost as if the length of a film and how slowly it unfolds isn't by itself indicative of quality...
>>
>>70799084
It's cozy but it falls apart at the end and isn't really scary. Psychological horror doesn't translate to the screen that well but I think it was alright.
>>
>>70799164
Wow, you're right. It's almost as if you finally understand exactly what I've been saying. Good job.
>>
>>70799132
Not him

But I'll go back and watch it due to its legacy. Often I find myself not getting the full brunt of classics the first time around, so I'll watch them again, so I've seen it four times now. It's just not scary in the slightest, and I've taken into account all of the little supposed quirks, the shifting of the hotel layout, the sexual abuse back story, the meaning of the ending, it's just a long, slow, sterile movie. I respect the cinematography and the acting, but the characters don't move me in the slightest, the story is a crawl, and Jack Nicholson gets annoying with all his Jackness, he doesn't have the subtlety he had in CCN.
>>
>>70799157
You're a ham, sir. Mentioning what he did in a sarcastic tone does not make it edgy.
>>
>>70799318
What is supposed to be scary about it is the isolation. Put yourself into the shoes of the woman and child. You would be completely helpless against the man and trapped. It is about the isolation and weakness of women and children.
>>
>>70799242
I'm saying that calling a movie too long or saying it has pacing problems is a non-criticism. Maybe it went over your head or maybe you're having trouble following a argument for this long due to your ADD.
>>
>>70799365
It's pretty edgy. Let me make a war movie, wait I'm an art tist, better put a statistic and political spin on it for the award bait.
>>
>>70799425
I just want to let you know that literally every single thing that has ever been created can be deconstructed and dismissed with the style of logic you're choosing. It's pretty sad when people can't even express themselves without it being dismissed in such an asinine manner.
>>
>>70797081
How didn't you like 8-Ball, Cowboy, Animal and based Joker. The best thing were the characters.
>>
File: eyes.jpg (69 KB, 655x511) Image search: [Google]
eyes.jpg
69 KB, 655x511
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>70799540

That he would betray his wife.

The rainbow is his marriage.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
57 KB, 1280x720
>>70799528
FUCK MY SISTER
>>
Objectively only 2001: A Space Odyssey has made the Sight and Sound poll top 10. By that measure it is Kubrick's greatest.
>>
>>70799409
Pacing goes hand in hand with the writing and length of shots. The length of shots and scenes all go into the overall length and one can easily manage the pacing by manipulating those two elements. It is a critisism. Scenes must end either in a negative or positive. They have to go somewhere. They could end by raising a new question to keep the audience interested, or they could end on an action. Pacing is a critisism because a good film maker knows how to make each scene count and keep the audience interested. I do enjoy movies where I can read into the characters thoughts and subtext and I enjoy ones where there are new questions raised by each scene. The Deer Hunter wastes it's first hour and a half trying to convey innocence in the men and then their thoughts are entirely too obvious through the rest of the movie to ever watch it a second time. It is over rated and it's pacing is terrible.
>>
>>70799558
Fuckin faggot he meant like a leprechaun and there's a pot of gold and Tom Cruise will find it
>>
Why do hipsters always say a director's worst movie is his best or their favorite?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgvYfMsKJhE

10/10 production design
>>
>>70799574
2001 is all visuals and no story. When I saw it I thought Kubrick was probably better off just being a dp.
>>
Not even close OP. Killing. POG, 2001, Strangelove, all better. In fact Eyes is in his bottom five. Still great
>>
>>70796616
I think Full Metal Jacket might be a bit better than the Shining, but other that that I absolutely agree with you.
>>
>>70799608
Because when there's 7 billion people on the planet, you have to make your mark somehow.
>>
>>70799579
Chinatown is a bad movie because its pacing, much like many films of the era, is too slow, and lingers on a mystery that could have been summed up in 10 minutes. Truly a terrible movie.
>>
>>70799608
>Eyes Wide Shut
>worst movie
Slow down. It's not his best but it's not his worst either. There's a lot of really really interesting stuff in the movie that everyone (including me) missed when watching like the daughter getting kidnapped at the end.
>>
>>70799574
>2001: A Space Odyssey
Honestly didn't get the part about the black monolith, should I just rewatch it? Read the book?
>>
Best to worst Kubrick official list

Clockwork Orange
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Shining
Dr Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
Spartacus
Eyes Wide Shut
>>
>>70799691
Not with the ammount of subtext. You can read into the characters thoughts in absolutely every scene and they aren't obvious until after the first watch. The first time the suspense is incredible. You as an audience member are desperately trying to figure out exactly what is going on, and they add in danger on Jack's part for even looking which adds to the mystery of it. This is because the screenplay itself is actually good.
>>
>>70799691
pleb desu
>>
>>70799540
Has anyone noticed that as soon as this line is said the tone of the movie completely changes?
>>
>>70799749
>I like the movie
Good for you, but all of that is subjective. It was far too slowly paced to be suspenseful.
>>
>>70799762
He's just being facetious because I think The Deer Hunter is written and filmed like shit.
>>
Is Kubrick the Kubrick of our generation?
>>
>>70799789
It isn't really slow at all. Every scene either ends on danger or raises a question- exactly as I described.
>>
>>70799803
No, Kubrick is not the Kubrick of our generation. The Kubrick of our generation is Kubrick, not Stanley Kubrick.
>>
>>70799794
Nope, I agree with you there. It's your non-criticisms about pacing that I'm arguing with.
>>
>>70799843
I just checked the Kubrick rubric and it turns out Kubrick actually is the Kubrick of our generation.
>>
Has anyone read something about Eyes Wide Shut how apparently if there's a scene in the movie that goes on for awhile without any cuts if you use a video player and "zoom in" you'll see a completely different scene happening the backround? I tried it once on different scenes and it was basically just watching uninteresting scenes of backround extras. Did I get memed on?
>>
>>70799818
But it could have been done much faster. Speed doesn't affect subtext, and brevity is the soul of wit. Chinatown is witless.
>>
File: podracing.png (429 KB, 736x354) Image search: [Google]
podracing.png
429 KB, 736x354
Objectively most correct ranking:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Barry Lyndon
4. Paths of Glory
5. Eyes Wide Shut
6. The Shining
7. Full Metal Jacket
8. Clockwork Orange
9. Spartacus
10. the rest
>>
>>70796616
What do you believe makes it his best movie?
>>
File: 1464658789906.jpg (26 KB, 451x292) Image search: [Google]
1464658789906.jpg
26 KB, 451x292
>>70799908
This is what happens when Jesus Christ hasn't entered your heart as Lord and savior.
>>
>>70799908
Wow, I didn't even realize that Chinatown was 171 minutes. I just looked, I figured it would be like 90 minutes. Damn, I guess that's what happens when a movie is well written and shot. If it's well written and shot then people won't be begging for something tk happen that actually matters like for the first 90 minutes of Deer Hunter.
>>
>>70799944
Clockwork is by far his best film, you smelly Samuel.
>>
Lol these plebs

Barry Lyndon
Eyes wide shut
Paths of glory
The shining
Dr. strangelove
A clockwork orange
Full metal jacket
Lolita
Spartacus
The killing

This is objective.
>>
http://idyllopuspress.com/idyllopus/film/ews_resolution.htm
>>
>>70800002
Chinatown is very slow and boring though. You can't refute this airtight criticism. 171 minutes? Feels like a month. That's what happens when you drag out a 10 minute story.
>>
File: Stanley-Kubrick-Birthday-072615.jpg (131 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
Stanley-Kubrick-Birthday-072615.jpg
131 KB, 970x545
Was it murder?
>>
>>70800080
Felt like 90 minutes to me. That's what happens when something actually happens in each scene instead of a 20 minute Pollack dance scene that affects nothing.
>>
>>70800080
Chinatown is the greatest screenplay of all time.
>>
>>70800014
Clockwork is edgy shit for the sake of edgy shit. I turned it off when he got captured.
>>
>>70800119
Again, he is being facetious for the sake of arguement.

And if it is so good then why did it lose the Oscar to Godfather 2?
>>
>>70800114
Well sadly you'd probably argue with me forever before getting the point. So I give up.

Btw, Chinatown is middlebrow.
>>
>>70800151
>Clockwork is edgy shit for the sake of edgy shit

Right, because violence and rape has no place in film. Stupid fool.
>>
>>70800188
I get the point but I love to argue.
>>
>>70800175
because the Oscar committee has always been right...? Is this a joke?
>>
>>70800226
It was good in the Swede Dragon Tattoo. You know, with an actual story behind it.
>>
>>70800230
I'll let you in on a secret: there's no real argument, just a contradiction.
>>
>>70800240
Yes

It's like when your dad says "If x is so great then why is he dead?"
>>
File: 1450558840096.jpg (9 KB, 259x205) Image search: [Google]
1450558840096.jpg
9 KB, 259x205
>>70800151
Are you really this fucking dense?
>>
>>70800260
MIND = BLOWN
>>
>>70800288
Yes, I didn't care for anything about the movie. It got that they were going to 1984 the main guy but I already didn't care because the movie had been a piece of shit up until that point.
>>
>>70800252
Holy fuck you have zero information about the movie you're complaining about.
>>
>>70800337
Wow so deep such wow

edge gets controlled then no more edge

art
>>
Ive figured out Eyes Wide shut, Stanley Kubrick was a genius, illuminati level genius
It's not what most youtube videos or websites say it is. You have to watch it with a fine tooth comb, with an open mind...

Everything you think you believe about the illuminati is wrong, a kind of charade , the whole movie is a fake. Eyes wide shut is a movie where 99.9% will never understand unless they are guided or watch it 100X times as I have frame by frame!

Kubrick completely figured out the illuminati, and he blew the whistle, while predicting his own death, putting it all on Film. This is the work of a great man.

If you think the movie is about a secret society sex cult you are wrong. If you think its only about about marriage and infidelity you are only seeing 0.1% of the story.

The actual story is beautiful. It's a blue print, a modern day bible and guide book for those who are awake enough to read it.

I can help you solve the puzzle, but you have to be ready to walk through the door.

If you believe in shape shifters they are in the movie also
>>
>>70800366
What?

You're making yourself look silly.
>>
>>70800412
Please explain what is remotely good about Clockwork. I'd love to know.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>The Shining and Full Metal Jacket are my favorite Kubricks works

Anyone who isn't a complete plenty knows Barry Lyndon is his greatest movie
>>
best to worst

>Eyes Wide Shut
>Paths of Glory
>The Killing
>2001
>Barry Lyndon
>A Clockwork Orange
>Full Metal Jacket
>The Shining
>Dr. Strangelove
>Lolita
>Spartacus

this is objective
>>
>>70800425
Take the character of Alex, one of the most complex characters comitted to celloid. He rapes women and beats old men, but he appreciates the music of Beethoven. He's a monster with depth. In fact, he's not even the real monster of the story. The real monster is society.
>>
>>70800518
Sounds like a shittier version of Hanibal Lecter thrust into 1984.
>>
>>70800425
That Alex is an extremely manipulative alpha male who leads parents and authority figures around by the nose, his droogs around like they are sheep, mistreating them an generally being a cocky cunt until they betray him and he in the end, as you said, does not stop being edgy, he continues to be a cunt and gets his way.

The feelings of cuckolding as the writer is watching his wife being raped in front of his eyes, then to later come back to the writers house as a victim of his treatment, and the writer, having passion on the victim hears him singing the same song in the tub that he heard when his wife was raped, God that was fucking awesome.

You know what, I don't care anymore, I'm going to go rewatch this movie. Fuck I love Clockwork Orange. FUCK YEAH

SHE WAS VERY BADLY RAPED, YOU SEE
>>
>>70800562
Except Hannibal is just a typical nihilistic milennial piece of crap
>>
>>70800436
well chosen pic my friend
>>
>>70800610
They should have just killed him then. Sounds like avocation for the death penalty and gun ownership to me.

>break into house
>get shot
>die
>>
>>70800518
>Alex driving the stolen car, huffing and puffing with excitement at his own power, running over shit and almost killing everyone on the road while his droogs hoot and holler, while Ludwig plays in the background, on the way to go break into a house
>He sings Singing in the Rain while he and he droogs hold down the writer and he rapes his wife, both of the ultimate highs of Alex, and the ultimate lows of the writer at the same time

Fucking brilliant
>>
>>70800789
Well, a big part of the plot is that society and authority isn't doing much of anything, he can act like that because nothing is stopping him, which was especially true of England in the 70s
>>
>>70800881
I'd imagine that the book is much better. It sucked to watch.
>>
>>70800976
The book is pretty good, but the movie is almost word for word the same as the book.
>>
>>70801006
Didn't play on screen very well at all imo.
>>
>>70801074
Well it's considered one of the greatest movies of all time, and I enjoy it immensely. Don't know what to tell you.
>>
File: thisisachristianimageboardm8.png (256 KB, 480x535) Image search: [Google]
thisisachristianimageboardm8.png
256 KB, 480x535
>Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>70801122
If it were me, I would have suggested "Kill yourself" long ago.
It's way better and less stressful than 'discussing' with plebs, retards and baiters. And a Kubrick thread is always full of them.
>>
Kubrick threads on /tv/ are awful. Worse than most other pleb threads.
99% of you faggots spouting opinions on his best/worst haven't even seen his filmography.
None of your opinions are worth even a grain of salt.
He was one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, and he literally never made a bad movie.
His worst movies, Spartacus and Lolita are still 8/10.

If you haven't seen Barry Lyndon, Paths of Glory, or The Killing. Kill yourself.

I also believe Eyes Wide Shut is his masterpiece, and the most provocative film I've experienced.
>>
>>70801521
Excellent post, only disagree in the last line with EWS being his best film.
>>
>>70801521
>I also believe Eyes Wide Shut is his masterpiece
You just torpedoed your own credibility.
>>
File: clockwork.jpg (229 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
clockwork.jpg
229 KB, 960x1440
>>70796616
Clockwork orange is his best film. It has an amazing subtext, there's literally a story within the main arc. All aligning with Kubrick's own political views and how the nazi party used subversion to place themselves into the UK elite. It has the best acting, the most relatable protagonist and message. The best cinematography and incredible themes.

This is probably the best film of all time. All you need to know to realize this is the 9th symphony played during his treatment is the distorted 9th played during hitlers birthday, and subsequently played during the UK's Nato gatherings to honor their past ideologies. It's so redpilled even understanding 15% of the message of this film will blow your mind.

Oh and alex was never "cured" he was faking it the entire time. Notice how he reenacts the violence of the first rape when he revists the writers house. If Alex was truly cured him just using suggestively violent gestures while he sings singing in the rain would make him react negatively. It was all an act, and a masterpiece of film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaZxpZ5n2N8
>>
barry lyndon
dr strangelove
eyes wide shut
paths of glory
the killing
full metal jacket
a clockwork orange
the shining
spartacus
killers kiss
lolita
fear and desire
>>
>>70796616
>Kubrick
>Good movies
pick one
>>
>>70802000
I pick Kubrick because he made great films.
>>
>>70798814
Oh please.
If you gave Kubrick the job of filming a fake moonlanding, he'd probably just go to the moon by himself for authenticity's sake.
>>
>>70799058
and you're calling the scene edgy for the sake of being edge

oh lord the ironing
>>
>>70799944
This is correct (though I'd have EWS higher)
>>
>>70801940
>Oh and alex was never "cured" he was faking it the entire time.

I thought that it was that the effects started wearing off

Why else would he throw himself through a window to stop it if it wasn't that bad?
>>
>>70802240
>Kubrick plotted the moon landing and funded Nasa in an ultimate Coup de gras against the Russians

He truly is the greatest director of all time
>>
Barry Lyndon is not in his top 3. It's my favorite Kubrick but it's an empty movie compared to his others. Trivial. Beautiful, but trivial.
>>
>>70801940
He wasn't faking it, he only got sick during the 9th because it was playing during the treatment. He was also drunk during the rape, he probably wouldn't remember singing it, or he wouldn't have sung it in the same house with the same man who's wife he raped.
>>
>>70799574
literally, the plebiest of opinions
>>
>>70803083
I'll bother: why?
>>
>>70803164
>Movies can't be objectively better
>Basing your opinion on polls
>Enjoying that gay movie for gay boys with anuses packed with cock

Fag
>>
>>70803248
>Movies can't be objectively better
They can and are.
>Basing your opinion on polls
That's isn't quite the case. The polls and the canon are reflexive of opinions that will be shared, even if on a diminished extent- by anyone serious.
>Enjoying that gay movie for gay boys with anuses packed with cock
Oh, I see. Why did I even reply? You're just a desperate shitposter.
>>
>>70803385
Holy fuck are you furious at an obvious joshing

And no, movies can't be objectively better. They can only appeal to more people through various artful means.
>>
>>70803607
>obvious joshing
On /tv/, that isn't what one should automatically think
>>
>>70803607
>And no, movies can't be objectively better.
This
>>
>>70799558
I think there's a connection between that and the rainbow fashion place where he got his costume, but I'm not sure what yet...just watched the movie today for the first time
>>
>>70796616
agreed

his only movie that combines all of his best aspects:
>intricately layered narrative
>compounding dreadful undertone
>impeccable casting
>GOAT score
>autistic scenery details
>implications of on screen and off screen actions more horrifying than anything deliberately shown
>has genuine philosophical and character depth instead of just metaphors
>>
Paths of Glory, Dr Strangelove, the killing are better than eyes wide shut
>>
>>70805589
You literally just described every single one of Kubricks films.
>>
>>70805741
no I didn't
>intricately layered narrative
Dr Strangelove, Paths of Glory, FMJ lack this
>compounding dreadful undertone
yeah everything has this but IMO EWS does this best
>impeccable casting
also done in every movie, but the way Kubrick somehow perfectly casted characters whose faces we never see is even more impressive
>GOAT score
given, this applies unilaterally to everything
>autistic scenery details
only ones that bests this is Barry Lyndon and 2001, but considering that this is a movie that doesnt' require that kind of thing to either recreate history or imagine the future, it brings something extra to the movie rather than just doing something well it had to do anyway
>implications of on screen and off screen actions more horrifying than anything deliberately shown
this is the big one that Shining and Clockwork are missing. 2001 has this but lacks a lot of the qualities that EWS has

My favorites are
>EWS
understated masterpiece
>2001
grandiose masterpiece
>Paths of Glory
perfectly executed and daring yet simple masterpiece
>>
>>70805986

The Shining is probably his biggest example of this. The implied sexual abuse, the domestic violence, the crazy woman attacking Danny

this is the big one that Shining and Clockwork are missing.

Clockwork Orange has huge amounts of genuine character depth. The whole question of the movie asks if Alex is innately evil or if he is the product of society, also his love for both violence and classical music
>>
>>70796714

i agree with your top two

1. lyndon
2. ews
3. 2001
>>
>>70799725
wat
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.