[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MoS 3 Year Anniversary Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 16
File: man-of-steel-poster-3.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2964) Image search: [Google]
man-of-steel-poster-3.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2964
What's your opinion on this masterpiece of cinema?
>>
>>70795970
it's terrible
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 863x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 863x1280
How can marvel even compete?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DJW4d7DE3vA
>>
>>70796078
/thread
>>
>lol what if superman's upbringing was a recipe for complete and total sociopathy??
>>
Top tier capekino honestly

An actually good cape movie that stands on its own.
>>
Terrible low IQ pandering trash made for imdb drones that think they've graduated imdbcore
>>
Why do RedditLetterMedia
Fags get so mad at this film?
>>
>>70796250
It was getting trashed on here long before RLM reviewed it. The initial /tv/ reception was pretty negative. Snyder fanboys didn't start relentlessly spamming "IT'S A MISUNDERSTOOD MASTERPIECE" until a year after the movie came out.
>>
>>70795970
It's a 5/10 at best.
>>
>>70795970
The Warcraft of 2013.

But its actually good.
>>
File: 1429292736635.gif (2 MB, 245x360) Image search: [Google]
1429292736635.gif
2 MB, 245x360
>>70795970
You said it.
Masterpiece.
>>
File: 14316643277322.jpg (476 KB, 1527x1367) Image search: [Google]
14316643277322.jpg
476 KB, 1527x1367
>>70796120
ayyy
pleb detected
you fell for the invincible son meme, didn't you?
>>
>>70796313
which just so happened to be about the same time marketing for BvS was starting.

Which was such a strange and unexpected coincidence.
>>
>>70796829
No. That's more in reference to zack kent's talk about all that matter is you (superman), everyone else can die, they aren't your problem. Etc.
>>
first time i watched it i had neutral thoughts about it, after that i've watched it at least 4 times, now it remains as number one superhero movie of all time for me, truly a masterpiece of comic book movies.
>>
>>70795970
My favorite for more reasons than I can even list.
>>
>>70795970
I think it did a lot of things right but could have been better in the right hands. Znyder shouldn't be a director, he should stick to visuals only.
>>
>>70796887
Jonathan was smart enough to predict the impact Clark would have on the world. He understood that Clark and what he represents could destroy society as we know it by simple virtue of existing. In light of that, it's incredibly understandable that he wouldn't want Clark to reveal himself as an indestructible alien "god" before Clark was mature enough to handle the responsibility.

Jonathan knew that the world could never be ready for Clark, but Clark could be ready for the world.
>>
File: 1465836035599.jpg (89 KB, 930x1354) Image search: [Google]
1465836035599.jpg
89 KB, 930x1354
It's remarkable that after 3 years some people still make their best effort to hate it without first even attempting to truly understand it.

But yet again, is it really surprising that the most powerful man in the world should be a figure of controversy?
>>
>>70797163
I got that from the first viewing of the movie (which I liked and still do), but being critical of that scene, it was just stupid and a really shitty way of trying to portray that concept.
>>
DUDE JUST FUCK MY CITY UP LMAO
>>
>>70797185
I think it's more remarkable that it's still talked about, still controversial, and still filtering plebs 3 years later.
>>
One of the owrst movies of 2013
>>
>>70797219
If that were its sole intention, you're right. It would be hard to excuse, but it's pretty obvious that all of Clark's childhood flashback scenes were designed and presented in such a way as to elicit a child's psychological growth. Snyder and his team used Pa Kent, a character that occupies a pretty particular space in the public consciousness(all-wise, all-caring father) to achieve that effect.

In order, we get:

School scene: perfect, idealized, nurturing parent
Bus scene: the initial note of doubt and the beginnings of perceiving one's parents as flawed individuals
Tornado scene: outright adolescent rebellion
Bully scene: beginning reconciliation
Truck scene: full reconciliation, growing appreciation of parents' wisdom

Granted, I'm no psychologist, but there's definitely something going on there.
>>
>>70796095
I remember watching that scene in theater and thinking "this is cliched bullshit." Snyder tried to make that scene tense by putting Lawrence Fishburne and some other people in danger but it miserably failed because we barely knew anything about Lawrence and knew nothing about the people that were with him. There was no emotional connection so I just sat there bored, waiting for Superman to inevitably stop the machine.
>>
>>70795970
It's better than all marvel films with the exception of the winter soldier and guardians of the galaxy.

It's my favourite modern capeshit (capeshit being everything since Ironman 1)
>>
>>70796145
what the fuck are you saying you stupid cunt? holy hell just be a person every once in a while. even on this site. just use normal words.
>>
>>70797871
It's a birth scene. Jenny's symbolic of earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM
>>
Honest question. Why do you retards still discuss mos (and bvs)? Is /tv/ flooded with DCucks or is it something else...

Civil war came out less than a month ago yet no one discusses it, tmnt, Warcraft etc.
>>
>>70798468
There's a lot to discuss, frankly. The world-building isn't complete yet and I find it interesting to speculate on what direction they'll take things in.

The MCU kind of blew off any of the more in-depth exploration of character and themes that we've gotten so far in the DCEU, and personally, I'm just not much of a Warcraft or a TMNT fan.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not some console war kiddie here. I've enjoyed to varying degrees all the MCU films, but once seen, there just isn't all that much left to discuss. Personally, I could talk about how cool I thought Yondu was in GotG and what a great job they did re-imagining the character, but it would be a bit of a one-sided discussion, and once I've stated that, there's not much deeper you can delve into the character.
>>
>>70795970
It's shit
The master Nolan tried so hard to make a good film and Snyder shit all over the product.
>>
>>70797958
Okay.
This movie is horrible and meant for people who like garbage movies.
>>
>>70796744
Man of Baldness.
I'm glad Bataffleck broke your stupid face and he is the one making the JL.
>>
>>70798468
>Civil war came out less than a month ago yet no one discusses it
Yeah that should tell you something.

Marvel films are Disney trash for people with low IQ's.

The DC films actually have a lot to say.

The three best capefilms are Watchmen, Man of Steel, and Batman v Superman. It's no surprise that they're all DC and all directed by the same guy.
>>
>masterpiece of cinema
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
It has pretentions of being a masterpiece but the problem is its laughably underwritten and trying to give that treatment to fucking Superman.
>>
>>70797185
>But yet again, is it really surprising that the most powerful man in the world should be a figure of controversy?
Oh man, no matter the situation. Trolls and delusional fanboys are still going to defend the movie, like the threads saying BvS would be nominated to the oscars and later went full muh masterpiece nobody gets.
And who wins?
Not WB, but people on /tv/.
>>
>>70796744
That costume has gorgeous colors irl but the movie has such awful filters it looks like dogshit in the movie. The entire movie looks like dogshit on second thought.
>>
>>70798468
Snyder is our lord and savior. Until Cameron is resurrected.
>>
>>70798862
>The three best capefilms are Watchmen, Man of Steel, and Batman v Superman. It's no surprise that they're all DC and all directed by the same guy.
You actually make me sick by not putting Nolan,Burton, Donner in that list.
>>
>>70798895
>underwritten

Its a "throw out random words, whether it applies or not to pass off as a criticism" episode
>>
>>70798468
Well anon. BvS still gives material for delusional people and people on /tv/ looking for (you)s.
It's not really a surprise.
>>
>>70798974
Nolan's trilogy is solid but Burton's and Donner's are wildly overrated trash..

The first half of Batman Returns is kino, but that's about it.
>>
>>70798974
Different guy here, and I agree. First Donner, second Nolan, and second Burton definitely earned their places in the pantheon.
>>
>>70798468
None of those movies had the meme potential of BvS, nor does it have a legion(okay its probably like 3 guys) of vehement defenders
>>
>>70795970
Perry White was not a nigger... Let alone cowboy curtis.
>>
>>70799095
Tbh, I genuinely loved bvs and all the criticism levelled at it have been unsubstantiated but I've never gone on a crusade like these other fags have
>>
>>70799031
>Burton's and Donner's are wildly overrated trash..
I disagree anon. Donner a big hollywood director decided to take a superhero comic and make it to the big screen. In his time it was not only groundbreaking but actually incredible to see how a great director like him and Mario Puzo made people believe a man could fly. Not only that but the was already making the sequel almost at the same time. What he was able to manage in a big hollywood blockbuster production was quite crazy.

For Burton, he not only gave one of the most influential interpretation of Batman(see the impact it had on people like Bruce Timm,Paul Dini, The arkham games or even Nolan) but he made a dark and grim story from a superhero and changed the general idea of the character(which at the time was from the West show, also good).

The music, iconic scenes and interpretation are still quite relevant, even Nolan films have most impact that what Snyder had even done(even his watchmen missed the point of the story). Snyder is fantastic with really superficial material like in 300 or dawn of the dead but he is not the right man to make something deep. Even Vaughn does a better job.
>>
>>70796095
>Superman doesn't even save anyone in this movie
>>
MOS is 7 out of 10 for me.

Great Hans Zimmer score, impressive spectacle (Krypton, Metropolis battle), impressive and threatening antagonists (which is something Marvel movies never have), good acting performances from all involved (albeit Kevin Costner was grossly squandered).

On the down side, Amy Adams does not have chemistry with Cavill. I like both actors but she's not right for Lane. I miss the sassy classy raven haired fox who can't spell for shit but always has a witty comeback. There's also little "fun". Though I mentioned Marvel movies having no threat, and weak villains, at least they know how to have fun. The Hammer lifting seen in AoU is an example of light hearted excitement.

Im a DC fanboi, but at no point in Batman Begins, Dark Knight, or Dark Knight Rises did I ever want to be Batman. At no point in MoS or BvS did I want to be Superman. Yet seeing Captain America, Iron Man, Ant Man, Black Panther, Hulk, Black Widow, Thor, I get wanting to be those people. They're awesome.

In a nutshell, Marvel needs to grow up somewhat, and DC needs to chill out and stop taking itself seriously. They make movies about flying men and people who dress as Bats for fucks sake.
>>
>>70799230
>I genuinely loved bvs and all the criticism levelled at it have been unsubstantiated
Sure they are anon, sure they are. If you can't seriously see what is wrong with the movie(and I loved Batman, his personal crusade of revenge and the action scenes) you're beyond help
>>
Proof that you can make your hero as brave and selfless as possible but it doesn't mean shit if they don't quip or make jokes.
>>
>>70799322
Yeah he did. A whole oil rig and helicopter crew, his mom, an A-10 pilot, a falling helicopter crewman, and Lois. Twice.
>>
>>70799393
The only valid criticism is of the editing and pacing of the film everything else is just noise.

By all means point some out
>>
File: This is super interesting.jpg (36 KB, 432x418) Image search: [Google]
This is super interesting.jpg
36 KB, 432x418
>>70795970
They really couldn't pick a way to kill off Johnathan that didn't make him or Clark look dumb?

I mean he died of a heart attack in the comics. What was wrong with using that?
>>
>>70799322
>>70799457

Oh, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 billion people when he took out the World Engine, the Black Zero, and Zod.

Pretty solid first official day on the job if you ask me.
>>
>>70799316
> even Nolan films have most impact that what Snyder had even done(even his watchmen missed the point of the story)

Dave Gibbons disagrees with you. Since he co-created Watchmen, he probably has a better idea of what "the point of the story" was.
>>
>>70795970
it's shit
>>
>>70799472
Literally everything about Lex.
>>
>>70797958
you're stupid
>>
File: 1459245671328.jpg (497 KB, 1096x800) Image search: [Google]
1459245671328.jpg
497 KB, 1096x800
The character assassination of Johnathan Kent is one of Hack Snyder's biggest crimes
>>
File: 4UCIA.png (224 KB, 704x361) Image search: [Google]
4UCIA.png
224 KB, 704x361
>>70799562
MoS gave us a villain that was genuinely intimidating while remaining somewhat sympathetic. BvS gave us a villain that's simultaneously detestable and smart enough not to monologue his real motivations and schemes.
>>
File: frustrated-man.jpg (163 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
frustrated-man.jpg
163 KB, 500x500
>> Le MOS was good meme
>>
>>70795970
Watching the UC of BvS really makes me want to see the extended cut of MoS that only the execs got to see
>>
>>70799472
First of all by saying all the criticism has been unsubstantiated you sounded really pretentious even you admit in this point there's wrong things with the movie like the pacing and editing.
Well at least for me the flaws with the movie are things like trying to create a universe by putting all kind of stuff in the screen instead of having a natural progresion. 1/3 of the movie is dedicated to that, instead of developt the movie it tries to developt others, along with the running time that you obviously see how hard is for Snyder to make a movie under the running time the studios ask. I'm not going into Superman and Batman personalities because that would be going muh and we want to avoid that.
But that's just me
>>
>>70799641
>3 years later and he still doesn't understand

When will this meme die?
>>
>>70798974
Nolans Batman isn't a cape film trilogy

Its an attempt at a political thriller with Batman as the figure head. It doesnt come off like a cape film. Nothing wrong with this, they're just films after different things.
>>
>>70799539
I can't really argue against that, but even he agress Gilliam could had make a better job
>>70799727
It's a dude who dress like a bat, with a cape and defeats villains.
>>
>>70799667
I have a challenge for you, anon. Go start a thread calling a movie you thought was a steaming pile of shit a masterpiece and see how long it lasts. See if anyone shows up there to bleat about how deluded they think you are.

Once it archives, ask yourself why no one cared what you had to say about it and why people insist on attacking these films.
>>
>>70799751
>It's a dude who dress like a bat, with a cape and defeats villains.
A story told like a political thriller. Not a cape film.
>>
>>70799472

again, MOS fan here but

Pacing
Editing
Batman killing
Trying to force Batman into fighting Superman
Superman not avoiding the grenade launcher
the Martha line
Lex's performance
Doomsday the Cave Troll
Poor score
Wooden Woman
Lois and the pointless bullet
Dream sequences
>>
File: supe.gif (58 KB, 493x200) Image search: [Google]
supe.gif
58 KB, 493x200
Tried to love it. I really did.

But the disappointment made me hate it more than I ever would otherwise.
>>
>>70799808
Just to zero in for a second here, but you thought it would be better for him to dodge the grenade? He thinks it's just going to go off harmlessly in his hand.
>>
File: faora.png (1 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
faora.png
1 MB, 1920x800
>>70795970
>I will never die a good death

hold me /tv/
>>
>>70799892
and the second one?
>>
>>70795970
It's not very good. Regardless of all the shit about Man of Murder or the collateral destruction or how much of an asshole Pa Kent is or any of the stupid and poorly made parts of the movie, it's just really boring. Same thing with BvS, they're both supposed to be big time summer action movies but they are just really fucking boring to watch.
>>
>>70799929
He couldn't fly at that point. He flew briefly but that seemed to have exhausted him. Right before he charges back at Bruce, it looks like he tries to gather "the force" or whatever you want to call it, but fails to and chooses to charge and leap instead. If you can't fly, you can't dodge a projectile mid-air. Not to mention his speed and reflexes didn't appear to have returned at that point either, just his invulnerability.
>>
>>70799686
>3 years later and he still defends shitty Objectivist writing
>>
>>70800076
Or more likely he's an overconfident dumbass who ran head first into the grenade even after knowing it's effects.
>>
Man of Steel, Watchmen, and Batman v Superman are the three best capefilms, by far. Nothing else comes close, honestly.
>>
>>70800180
Well said anon

Happy birthday MoS and God bless Snyder
>>
>>70800180
agree on that
>>
>>70795970
>I was memes into watching this
>i was memed into watching sucker punch
Fuck you guys and fuck snyder
>>
>>70802366
>I was meme'd into watching this

I'm so glad /tv/ was right about how good the movie was. Watched it last night, loved it.
>>
>>70798378
No one cares, Snyderfag. People watch capeshit to be entertained, they don't give a shit about symbolism.
>>
File: 1320638248074.jpg (4 KB, 181x136) Image search: [Google]
1320638248074.jpg
4 KB, 181x136
>>70795970
It's a modern classic.
>>
>>70802447
I do, pleb.
>>
Watchmen alone is better than ever mcu film ever made.
>>
>>70795970
it was shit
>>
>>70800180
>>70802547
Correct.
>>
>>70799808
>Pacing
>Editing
Agree

>Batman killing
What's wrong with this other than "not my batman"

>Trying to force Batman into fighting Superman
It wasn't forced. They had a very good reason to go against each other

>Superman not avoiding the grenade launcher
Really?

>the Martha line
Agree somewhat. Wasn't a big issue

>Lex's performance
He was brilliant imo

>Doomsday the Cave Troll
He served a purpose. He was never anything more than a weapon

>Poor score
"beautiful lie" was great but again subjective view

>Wooden Woman
Agree, but she's barely in it

>Lois and the pointless bullet
It wasn't pointless you simply failed to follow it

>Dream sequences
Agree somewhat,
>>
>>70799678
I'd love to see that.
>>
>>70795970
damn
3 years of butthurt plebs already?
>>
>>70806536
Hey, we don't shit up all the Marvel thre- oh, right.
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>70807301
All 1 of them in the past 2 weeks
>>
>>70799776
It is. The way is told doesn't change what it is
>>
It is the greatest capeflick of them all and is the only one to have cemented its place amongst respectable cinema in general. Everyone who sees this movie agrees that it is a masterpiece. The filmmaking, story, and themes are brilliant and it will be remembered as one of the most important films released in our lifetime.
>>
One thing that I've never been clear on, if "cape" films are so clearly their own unique genre, how come they're not labeled as such after three decades' worth of fairly heavy saturation? After all this time, they're still recognized as action/sci-fi/fantasy.

That should tell you something.

Technically, Conan is "capeshit." By throwing a nonsensical label on anything with more than a nodding acquaintance with comics, you're doing all of it a disservice. There is no such thing as a genre inherently devoid of a potential for depth and artistic merit. Insisting otherwise only evinces one's own lack of profundity and imagination.
>>
>>70798862
Nah dude, BvS was trash you delusional KEK
>>
>>70795970
I haven't watched it yet.
>>
>>70800180
Im fucking sick of these pretentious DCucks, thank god these movies are widely recognized as trash/mediocre tier
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwgv5FayZD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqlaXylsMwQ

Make way for Faora bitches.

Best fight in history, Marvelcucks on suicide watch.
>>
>>70809675
they're shills
>>
File: DunePain.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
DunePain.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>70809771
Can't speak for everyone, but I'm not, and I'm not so cynical that I'll dismiss a fan of anything as a shill. I don't show up in MCU threads and label anyone irrationally referring to themselves and the MCU team as "we" as a shill.

Just out of curiosity, what compels you to post here if you don't like the films? Is it really chapping your ass that much that there's a fanbase who has a different opinion than you? If anyone's being childish around here, it's the folks who aren't content to just live and let live.

I thought the most recent American-made Godzilla movie was the cinematic equivalent of a dumpster fire, but I don't feel a need to show up in every Godzilla thread and bleat about how much I hated it. Lynch's Dune adaptation was an incoherent mess, but when fans of it and the source material make a thread, I don't give a shit.

Yet without fail, you guys always show up. Why is that?
>>
>>70796095
How can you people be so mentally challenged?
>>
>>70799758
>why people insist on attacking these films.
Because you make 10 threads about them every day, idiot.
>>
File: WAAAAAAAAHMYSAFESPACE.jpg (154 KB, 1360x614) Image search: [Google]
WAAAAAAAAHMYSAFESPACE.jpg
154 KB, 1360x614
>>70812517
I haven't made a thread in weeks. Last time I did was when any and all discussion was being reported and deleted based off of other people's nebulous to nonexistent understanding of the "rules" in these here parts.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.