[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the strongest installment of This is England?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
File: this is england.jpg (107 KB, 408x300) Image search: [Google]
this is england.jpg
107 KB, 408x300
What's the strongest installment of This is England?
>>
>>70708338
What?
>>
88 i think. i don't know why i haven't seen 90 yet though, i was really looking forward to it
>>
>>70708404
>the Combo storyline
You are NOT ready for those feels.
>>
The film.
The series isn't good. Too much drama for the sake of drama.
>>
Gilgun needs to be in more stuff
>>
Let's be honest. This series is racist to the bone. It promotes and encourages racism.
>>
>muh gritty, """disturbing""" kitchen-sink realism
>>
File: tis.jpg (133 KB, 840x673) Image search: [Google]
tis.jpg
133 KB, 840x673
Why did Sean turn into a beta?
>>
>>70708338
Lol is fucking peng throughout the decades, no doubt about it
>>
>>70709226
Let's be honest. You haven't watched it.
>>
>>70709521
I have, and I stand by my post.
>>
>>70709546
Okay.
>>
reminder that milky was the true antagonist of TIE and Combo did nothing wrong
>>
>>70709300
top kek
>>
File: Harvey.jpg (17 KB, 412x232) Image search: [Google]
Harvey.jpg
17 KB, 412x232
>tfw no Harvey bf

he was the GOAT character in 90

also best tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJo98061Wl4
>>
>>70708338
The one with the train scene between Woody, Milky and friends.

Goddamn, that scene is full of emotion. Best scene in the history of cinema.
>>
>>70709572
This is one of the most racist series I have ever watched. It promotes Anglo superiority in the most insidious kind of way. It's patently obvious to the most casual observer.
>>
88, no contest

one of the finest pieces of television i have ever seen
>>
>>70709642
no that's just a natural reaction in your brain because Anglo superiority is a law of nature, not a social construct
>>
>>70709642
>It promotes Anglo superiority
Where?

>It's patently obvious to the most casual observer
I think you're just projecting.
>>
combo did nothing wrong
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
The fight between Woody and Milk is probably my favorite of the series
>>
is gilguns character the most cucked character in TV history?
>>
>>70709605
What a beautiful man
90 is bretty good. Working class kino
>>
File: 1461348902048.jpg (27 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
1461348902048.jpg
27 KB, 636x636
i'm still fucking pissed off about what happened to combo

god damn it milky.
>>
File: brad 6.png (617 KB, 685x582) Image search: [Google]
brad 6.png
617 KB, 685x582
>>70709700
still can't believe he got KEKED and is now raising Milky's kid
>>
>>70709605
That actor is the brother of the chav slag that plays Kelly on Misfits
>>
>>70709729
>muh promises

Milky is a fucking disgrace

>>70709721
yeah it's alright, much preferred the older ones though, 90 was just so depressing
>>
Why do racist fans of this series just think they can summarily disregard any claims of racism then continue talking as if it weren't just shown that they were racists and the series they are discussing is also racist?
>>
>>70709747
yeah, seems like he got all the good looks

she is literally typecast as a filthy slags

her notable roles have included a chav slag in misfits and a chav prostitute in an Arctic Monkeys video (Combo's in that too)
>>
File: 1395626632989.jpg (68 KB, 482x499) Image search: [Google]
1395626632989.jpg
68 KB, 482x499
>>70709798
Why do you keep posting when it's clear you're unable to articulately defend your view?
>I've got opinions! Look at all my opinions!
>>
File: Trudy.jpg (28 KB, 450x242) Image search: [Google]
Trudy.jpg
28 KB, 450x242
The actress who plays Trudy is Stephen Graham's (Combo) wife.
>>
>>70709813
One thing im not understanding in this thread is, you mean the series alone are racist or you mean the movie too? Cause i've only seen the movie and if anything is the opposite of racist and brings to light such matters in a heartfelt way.
Can you please say how the series is any different ,therefore, racist?
>>
>>70709877
Are you racist or not?
>>
>>70709907
Ops i didnt mean you

I meant >>70709798

Bloody mobile
>>
File: 1460214561508.jpg (64 KB, 422x750) Image search: [Google]
1460214561508.jpg
64 KB, 422x750
>>70709909
No, I'm not racist.
>>
The film is good, but not great.

The series is the best television drama ever.
>>
>>70709642
How so?
>>
>>70709753
Yeah 88 was probably the peak. Good balance
>>
>>70709989
Thanks for asking. I don't know, I've never watched it.
>>
>>70709798
Combo's actions in the film are never once treated as a good thing, being that they ultimately shatter Shaun's worship of him when he beats Milky, that and the Pakistani shopkeeper ends up as a father figure to Shaun. So how is that remotely racist? There was nothing inherently racist about being a skinhead in the first place, it was something that people like Combo latched onto and twisted to fit their own agendas.
Heck, whites are consistently portrayed as more violent and easily led throughout whilst the blacks are conniving, such as when Milky's family hand Combo off in '90. If anyone should be complaining about racism, it's the whites over how Shane Meadows is letting the side down.
>>
>>70709729
DELETE THIS
>>
>>70709700
I remember there was a black in the movie. I see a black and what looks like a mod. Was this show secretly pressing diversity?
>>
>>70710413
>a black

lmao

it wasn't a fucking secret mate it's pretty much the plot of the film

dopey cunt
>>
>>70709605
dont really like that version. can't really match moz and marr
>>
Never saw the series, as we don't get it in the U.S.

Saw the film, though. Thought the film sucked, but the music used in the film was good.
>>
>>70710413
Skinhead culture spawned out of Jamaican dancehalls in the UK. It was diverse from the start.
>>
The film will end up aging the best, as it feels like it belongs in the era it's set in but has contemporary production values. It also has the tightest story.

The series is great for different reasons. I think 86 is the best, as it doesn't have as much obligation looming over it as 88 or 90 do. It's like Meadows genuinely just felt like catching up with the characters and thought it'd be interesting to try, turns out it was. It successfully takes the focus away from Shaun without doing him a disservice, and therefore fleshes out supporting characters like Gadget and Kelly. I remember feeling truly heartbroken for Woody throughout the whole thing - he's just trying to enjoy his life and provide money and a house for his Lollipop and then he gets fucked over by both her and his best mate in the whole world. It's especially heartbreaking because the film portrayed Milky as a good and honest friend to have.
I remember as the Lol's Dad storyline was going along feeling like there was no way they were going to be able to wrap it up without it coming across as overly dramatic, but everything right up to Trev's rape was handled masterfully, and you really felt the weight of Lol's revenge. She didn't want to do it, but she knew she had to. And Combo gets to be the silent hero - a perfect arc from the film to the series.

88 and 90 are pretty good in their own right but seem a fair bit weaker than everything else. I will say that nothing seems unimportant though. They could've made Woody and Lol's reunion joyous and cheesy, but as it is it felt like two people struggling to cope with adult life and feeling lost finally realising where they belong, in spite of everything. Cut to 90, and they're finally happy with their lot. I love their story.
>>
>>70713448
Continued

The dinner table scene in 90 is obviously the standout. So real...it blew me away. But it was hard to tell who the focus was on throughout the series really. The stuff with Kelly seemed quite forced, drama for the sake of drama as someone else said earlier in the thread. Watching Gadget just trying in vain to help her was quite sad, but even that whole angle just dragged. I will never forgive Meadows for making me hurt so much over Combo, though. He totally deserved a second chance at life, and I think it's clear that Milky saw the change in him and that his words in the cafe were completely sincere. He was regretting the whole thing as soon as they started talking. That being said, his fate also felt inevitable, and was dramatically necessary. Overall, I felt it was a worthy entry, but it's not a satisfying conclusion the entire thing. They'd do well to end on another movie I think, and really give the characters a fitting send off.
>>
>>70712112

Its kind of nice how black people are so integrated in the UK
>>
>>70709798
Why are you a smelly paki, Ackbar?
>>
File: Kellyseries.png (1 MB, 1194x718) Image search: [Google]
Kellyseries.png
1 MB, 1194x718
damn now I want to watch TIE all over again

also original Kelly = best Kelly
>>
'this is england' blew me away first time through, but its contrivances became more and more apparent with each watch.

the series isn't good and is too twee
>>
>>70714324
She is manish
>>
>>70714521
you are girlish
>>
>>70709642
>superiority
>This is England
Every character in the franchise is scum, nobody had any superiority to anything.
>>
>>70715390
>replying to stale bait
>>
>>70713635
when black american soldiers came to the UK during the second world war they were surprised by how well they were treated compared to their treatment in the us. to be honest slavery wasn't that big in the uk. we profited from the goods americans made but we never had the huge ethical problems of plantations or farms.

we had slaves, of course. i always find it weird when americans call for 'representation' in their media when quite a lot of the top black actors are the minute are british, they're as much representative of african americans as a brit is of a slav.
>>
I went to the cafe from the first one recently.

Was not a vegan place, shut down the other month.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.