[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Movies stylistically similar to Ghost in the Shell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: ghost-in-the-shell.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ghost-in-the-shell.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
Sup /tv/,
Looking for stuff similar to the original Ghost in the Shell. Any good grimy, dystopian animoos to recommend?
>>
I guess Akira if you havent seen that yet
>>
>>70690667
this
also highly recommend watching Jin Roh
>>
>>>/a/nti-art
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

Patlabor 2 is stylistically closer to GiTS than it is to the rest of the Patlabor series desu. Great movie.
>>
>>70691001
is 2.0 worth it?
>>
To be fair, nobody does Oshii like Oshii does, he's very weird. Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze take huge influences from the tone, but it would be mainly about checking M. Oshii's directorial work.

He's way more into what one could say is arthouse than what mainstream anime is.
>>
No
Grow up and read a book instead you child of /v/
>>
>>70691447
His early stuff was hugely inspired by Antonioni, Bergman and Tarkovsky.
>>
>>70690477

The Matrix, or Animatrix if your insisting on 'animoos'
Its essentially a western remake anyway
>>
Johnny Mnemonic
>>
>>70691515
His later stuff isn't? I can see a lot of things from Antonioni's trilogy on "The Sky Crawlers", for example.
>>
>>70691603
I haven't seen any of his new stuff. I saw Avalon and that kind of killed it for me. I started to doubt him and wonder if he lost his love for it all.
>>
Animatrix for sure.

Also Rennaissance (2006) is good.
imdb.com/title/tt0386741/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

A.I. and the Fifth Element both are live action movies with a similar feel.
>>
>>70690709
Anime is an artform.

>>70691477
Why aren't you telling that to people who watch live action movies?
>>
>>70693414
Not in itself.
>>
>>70693445
Yes in itself. It's no less of an artform than live action.
>>
>>70690477
Genocyber
>>
>>70693414\
Are you going to reply to every post again?
>>
>>70693472
I mean, it's part of animation, which is part of cinema itself. That's like saying soviet movies are an artform.

It is not less, obviously.
>>
>>70693541
Did you get lost on your way to Reddit again?

>>70693556
Soviet movies are an artform. So are German, American, Italian and Japanese movies.
>>
File: Jin.Roh.full.1599409.jpg (110 KB, 628x750) Image search: [Google]
Jin.Roh.full.1599409.jpg
110 KB, 628x750
>>70690685
2nd for jin roh
>>
>>70693636
>Did you get lost on your way to Reddit again?
No I'm here where I'm supposed to be. Again are you going to reply to every post again?
>>
>>70693636
What the hell is your definition of artform?

Those are art, the artform is the medium in which you express the values, beauty or message that you try to transmit. Cinema is an artform, architecture is an artform.
>>
>>70693701
This is not Reddit. If you want Reddit then go to Reddit.

>>70693709
>What the hell is your definition of artform?
One that doesn't exclude anime just because it triggers some people.
>>
>>70693766
Nobody excludes anime as being part of the composition of different animations that exist in the international sphere, which ultimately is an essential part of cinema; what's being questioned is its artistic meric given its industrial status as of now.

In itself, anime is not an artform because it doesn't deviate from the artform of cinema in any way. It IS moving pictures. That's why it's art.
>>
File: lodoss war.jpg (364 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lodoss war.jpg
364 KB, 1920x1080
>>70690477
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLyArZpSI74

>dude, lets head on down to the family video and rent some anime...
>>
>>70693895
>what's being questioned is its artistic meric given its industrial status as of now
Then we have to reject the artistic merits of live action as well.

>In itself, anime is not an artform because it doesn't deviate from the artform of cinema in any way. It IS moving pictures
Pointless nitpicking.
>>
>>70694038
Well, yes, that's why people criticise movies. They question the values given in them. In any one of them.

And it's not pointless nitpicking, you're trying to disgregate any piece of art as its own individual form based on its nationality, that's just fucking ridiculous on a simply linguistic basis: for example, potatoes are not a form of nourishment in themselves, they are tubers. Are you trying to make me mad?
>>
>>70694226
>Well, yes, that's why people criticise movies.
What, so now this is suddenly about the merits of individual works? Make up your mind.

>And it's not pointless nitpicking
Yes it is.
>>
>>70693505
kek

Cyber City Oedo 808
>>
File: sybsm.jpg (29 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sybsm.jpg
29 KB, 1280x720
Memories, Roujin Z and Robot Carnival
>>
>>70694319
It's always about individual works seen in context and then constructing opinions about the creative work of a nation or movement.

To make an example, I think Picasso's "Card players" is a lousy painting, then I check out other paintings by his cubist companions and think that they overall are mediocre and create an opinion on Cubism itself based on the individual merits of each painting and what they can have in common. I'm not saying they are not painture, i'm criticising the paintures that come from cubists. That does not mean in the slightest that what they are doing can be separated to other painting movements on the essential basis that they share an artform that is painting, and that cubist painting is not in itself an artform, since it's fucking painting.

Anime is a colloquial expression to refer to japanese animation; animation is in itself a way of expressing oneself through the medium of film. Thus, japanese animation is part of the artform of cinema, as american, french or chinese is.
>>
>>70694659
What the fuck are you even talking about anymore?
>>
>>70694784
That anime in itself isn't an artform, but part of the artform of cinema, which is what I'm talking about since the very beginning.

You have a conceptual misunderstanding of what "artform" means and I'm trying to make it clear with various examples while laughably failing at doing so, apparently.
>>
>>70694894
I don't care. If you have nothing relevant to say then just stop posting.
>>
>>70694923
Fucking hell
>>
>Anime's not art lmfao
>Ya huh!
>Nuh uh! Maybe nothing is art! Check m9 atheists!
>Wat.
Good read guys.
>>
File: 1388731574717.jpg (60 KB, 514x540) Image search: [Google]
1388731574717.jpg
60 KB, 514x540
>>70694923
>>
>>70691001
That soundtrack is fucking gorgeous
>>
File: Texhnolyze.jpg (28 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
Texhnolyze.jpg
28 KB, 500x280
Texhnolyze starts out as really grimy, depressing cyber-punk shit and somehow ends up even more depressing by the end.
I recommend it.
>>
>>70695206
that's tv in a nutshell
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.