[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mad Men Finale
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8
File: kill me.jpg (245 KB, 1865x1043) Image search: [Google]
kill me.jpg
245 KB, 1865x1043
You've got to be shitting me.

Did people actually like this? I feel so fucking cheated.
>>
>>70681058
I would have liked it more if the last OMMM was in tune with the first chord of the commercial and Don just smiled and opened his eyes
>>
>>70681058
You're a pleb

>>70682516
You're just very dumb
>>
>>70681058
You just aren't old enough to understand the age of adz
>>
File: 1464790141770.gif (2 MB, 200x145) Image search: [Google]
1464790141770.gif
2 MB, 200x145
Let me guess, you wanted Pete to shoot up the office with his gun?
>>
File: image.jpg (154 KB, 1024x684) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154 KB, 1024x684
Reminder that Megan did nothing wrong
>>
>>70684292
Which episode was it when they wrote the line about her being horse faced? Such a based show
>>
File: Don Meditating.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Don Meditating.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>70684419
She is sexy as fuck.

Delet this
>>
>>70681058
But it's brilliant.

Why don't you try actually explaining why you don't like it?
>>
I was fulfilled without this scene tbqh

The scene where the other guy is talking about being the thing in the fridge no one ever picks was the fucking best scene of the show
>>
>>70684292
yeah but her dentist did
>>
File: 1395089509374.gif (2 MB, 306x172) Image search: [Google]
1395089509374.gif
2 MB, 306x172
>>70684557
Doesn't matter. They literally poked fun at her teeth and she admitted they were fucked in an episode where they highlighted her struggles as an actress.
>>
>>70681058

This was literally the most perfect ending possible. How did you feel "cheated?"
>>
>>70681058
It was perfect.
>>
>>70685371
Nah this still the best finale.
https://youtu.be/eNwARV9tPUw

Not saying MM finale was bad. But Six Feet Under had a more satisfying ending and didn't have half the audience scratching their heads.
>>
>>70685472
Tbqh, if you were scratching your head at the MM finale, you weren't really understanding it prior to it.

The finale really just summarizes and explicitly states what have been the issues with the character all along.
>>
>>70685472

>didn't have half the audience scratching their heads

...but there was nothing ambiguous about the ending of Mad Men. It wasn't like The Sopranos or something. He finally accepted that he's nothing more than a selfish douchebag who makes commercials, and that's OK because he's good at it.
>>
>>70681058
who fucking cares how you feel you entitled asshole pleb!

go watch arrow or something
>>
>>70685345
I liked her fucked up teeth desu senpai. I want her to bite the head of my dick.
>>
>>70685672
Hardly the first time Don has acknowledged that he's a reprehensible person. He does it multiple times throughout the show. First time is during his first visit to Anna's after Betty calls him out on being unfaithful as I recall.

I would disagree that he finds any LASTING acceptance. A huge theme of the show is that people are what they are and repeat their patterns of behavior. Don runs from his problems for a while, but always goes back to them (e.g. every time he escapes to California by makes his way back to NY). He makes genuine attempts at improving himself but always falls back into his old ways. More importantly, his basic problem is that he fundamentally cannot accept/love himself and therefore cannot accept/recognize love from other people. It's the entire point of the unnamed man's refrigerator speech, and really of Don's character as a whole.
>>
>>70685753
I wrote this post and I swear to god I wrote "desu senpai" not "desu senpai" I don't even like anime shit, what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>70687098
>>70687098

DESU SENPAI
>>
>>70685912
>unnamed man
>literally opens with "I'm Leonard"

Did you even watch the show famalam
>>
>>70684231
you think the writers ever actually considered that as an option for a season finale or something?
>>
>>70685273
It really didn't seem relevant to Don's character at all
>>
>>70681058
>I feel so fucking cheated.

Pleb detector
>>
Solid finale. Prettty sop but was careful enough to give all characyers a proper send off
>>
>>70687682
To me this character represented the universal man. When Don left McCann he walked out of a meeting with a bunch of suits discussing the average guy - the guy who likes dogs because they don't talk etc.

Don thought the meet was bullshit and walked out and went on a journey that ultimately led him to this guy, the true authentic average joe that advertising is trying to address.

Don's embrace of this guy was kind of a summing up of what made Don a brilliant ad man - that he intimately and intensely understood the lack and longing at the heart of the average person.
>>
>>70687098
4chan is starting to rub off on you, baka. You better leave before it's too late.
>>
>>70687381
You're right. Totally forget about that.
>>
File: rogersterling10.gif (999 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
rogersterling10.gif
999 KB, 400x225
>tfw you will never get a MM spinoff of the best character on the show
>>
>>70688051
Don cries and hugs him because this man is pouring his heart out and Don is thinking about selling him Coke and he realized how to co-opt this man's anguish into ad buys.

Don smiles at the end because he's made peace with being empty inside.
>>
>>70685912
Stan basically said it in the last episode when Peggy thought Don was going to kill himself.
>>
>>70684292
>zou bisou
>>
>>70685472

Oh God, thank you for pointing out how much of a pleb with shit taste you are.

God damn there's nothing, and I mean nothing, worse than a show or a film or a book or a whatever that shows or spells out the rest of the character's lives.

Especially ones that do it over super emo music and girl characters driving down the highway in their cars onto "the next chapter"...

Fuck that shit. Fuck that shit so hard.

Horrible.
>>
>>70688778
Why did you have to say this ffs. I fucking adore Roger
>>
File: Mad-Men-Roger-Bird.gif (483 KB, 440x244) Image search: [Google]
Mad-Men-Roger-Bird.gif
483 KB, 440x244
>>70688980

like I said, best character on the show.
>>
>>70688799
I think it works on a couple of other levels:

>In this episode, Don's meaningful "goodbyes" and connections are over the phone. There is a distance. Don always keeps a distance between himself and the one's that he loves. When he hugs the man, it is a true connection. He is hugging the man like it is the first time he has ever hugged or touched another person. There's a difference between sharing a space with a person and really seeing them and connecting with them.

>Leonard's soliloquy is basically an amazing pitch for a condiment. On a more meta-level, we see that advertising can give people the words and images to express themselves. It gives meaning to what Don does. And that's why it is okay that Don exploits his experiences to make a coke ad.

Could also be like you said.
>>
>>70688051
>universal man

Somewhat. I'd say Leonard was more like another form of the basic problem that Don has: an inability to love and receive love. That more generalized problem is not unique to Don, and he certainly shares that with plenty of other people. However, the motivations and responses to that problem are very unique to Don and I would say legitimately distance him from his fellow man.

I think his deeply held belief that he's alone and, in many ways, vastly different than most people is actually pretty true. It's not just a matter of perception with Don, which is not the case with many people.
>>
>>70684292
She handled the divorce like a typical fucking bitch actress. At least Don had some class
>>
>>70688962

I feel the same way. I know people who say it's the undisputed best ending of all time, but I just find it kind of cheesy and clichéd.
>>
>>70689256

I took it like he finally realized the grass wasn't greener on the other side. That he wouldn't be happier if he was a "decent person."

Throughout the series, everyone seems constantly attracted and fascinated by Don, but he hates himself and feels he doesn't deserve the attention, so he keeps them at arm's length. He can't get past the memories of his own selfish, awful behavior.

Leonard's his polar opposite. Leonard puts other people first, he's kind and soft-spoken and considerate. And nobody EVER notices him, nobody ever gives him any attention or puts him first. And he's just as fucking miserable as Don.
>>
>>70689744

>undisputed best ending of all time

my asshole. my dirty dirty dirty asshole. hot fucking garbage.
>>
>>70685912
Don had a breakthrough by recognizing and acknowledging his problem. He'll probably continue to fuck up, particularly in his relationships with women and his children, but he won't go off on self-destructive rampages where he runs away from everything and ponders suicide anymore.

Also Betty somehow got all the dying-from-cancer karma that rightfully should have hit Don and Roger, so they'll both live much longer than they deserve, lifestyle-wise.
>>
>>70681058
>tfw you realize every other show on the face of the earth will never achieve what mad men did

Seriously what the fuck do I watch now? (The Sopranos has too many unlikable characters/characters I don't very much care about)
>>
>>70684292
It's tough to say with Megan.

She did plenty wrong (e.g. insulting Don about his mother at the Howard Johnson's, calling his kids screwed up, having the audacity to act haughty about a career that Don basically handed to her and totally throwing her friend from the acting class under the bus to get it, etc.), but it was rare that she was genuinely vindictive, spiteful, or selfish. She had moments that would have pissed me off endlessly if I was her husband, but there's no denying the effort she put into the marriage. Most of her dark moments are due to frustration with the lack of results from that effort. Which makes sense. She's a spoiled, beautiful twenty something girl. She's accustomed to getting what she wants if she puts her mind to it and doesn't know how to deal with not being over to win someone over.

Still, I'd say Betty was the better wife. Megan wanted Don in her life, but on fairly strict terms. She was pretty selfish about many of her expectations in their marriage. All Betty wanted was to be a great wife and got shut out and distanced emotionally for her efforts.
>>
File: draper.png (1 MB, 1249x695) Image search: [Google]
draper.png
1 MB, 1249x695
>>70689867
He's known his problem forever, I'd say. Sure, he related to someone else vocalizing it openly in a way that he is unwilling (note: not unable) to do, but I don't think it's a revelation to him.

I'd say it was just the latest iteration of a long pattern of Don's attempting to find peace and temporarily thinking he's done so. He goes away, finds some brief sense of inner peace, but then goes right back to selling his idealized fantasy versions of love to the masses because he doesn't really understand it but he understands the craving for it better than most.

The Coke commercial reinforces that pattern imo.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.