[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You call your movie godzilla I expect godzilla be in it for more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: godzilla.jpg (58 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
godzilla.jpg
58 KB, 720x1080
You call your movie godzilla I expect godzilla be in it for more than 7 minutes. what the fuck. And dont give me that bullshit about building suspense. Not a valid excuse. Fuck edwards and fuck WB. Garbage.
>>
I agree, and having to sit through any scene with Elizabeth Olsen was torture.
>>
>>70668402
tripcodes are for faggots
>>
>>70668287

>I've never seen a real Godzilla film and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Okay, kiddo.
>>
>>70668402
She's a horrible actress
>>
>>70668435

Actually I have. Even the Roland Emmerich movie is better this garbage.
>>
For reference, Godzilla was present for less than seven minutes in the original film and that wasn't even the worst he fared in terms of screentime compared to the rest of the series. In the 2014 film, he had about ten minutes. Godzilla beating the shit out of various monsters only became the point when the series became spectacle over substance, literally the Michael Bay films of their day. They were shit and are shit still but, when someone came along and made a film that respected the source and delivered the spirit and substance of the original, the idiot masses took to the internet and pissed all over it. OP is a fucking fool and has no idea what Godzilla is about, aside from muh monster fighting or whatever. Fuck off back to whatever lesser pit you came from, OP.
>>
>>70668603

That's just stupid.
>>
>>70668648

No you just have shit taste.
>>
>>70668676

You just cited the goddamn Emmerich thing. You literally have no barometer for quality. Get out.
>>
>>70668287
its not about quantity, its about quarity
>>
File: 1465406375538.png (206 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
1465406375538.png
206 KB, 450x338
>>70668435
Let this meme die.

Godzilla (2014) is 2 hours long and has approximately 10 minutes of the title character. Half of that screen time has him obscured by darkness, water, or smoke. This leaves about 5 minutes of quality footage, borderline the shortest amount of screen time ever. Also, G14 is 30 minutes longer than the average Godzilla film. That half an hour makes a huge difference. And then you to endure teasing. Just when you think things will get exciting, the film snatches it away from you. This happens like three times. On top of this game of hide and seek, Godzilla isn't even the focus of the story. The MUTO are. In a film called Godzilla. The novelty of seeing Godzilla rendered by Hollywood effects runs out quick.

Not all human characters in the Japanese films have been something to write home about. However, these films usually feature an ensemble cast full of interesting personalities. This includes movies like Mothra vs Godzilla, Monster Zero, Godzilla vs Gigan, and GMK. The bulk of the weight doesn't fall on one character to do most of the heavy lifting. And there is a greater balance of monster action and human drama in most of the Japanese films.

It doesn't help that everything is dead serious. No sense of fun. Being serious can work if you have an engaging cast of humans. Godzilla (1954) is a good example. Though all the human characters in G14 are either poorly utilized (Cranston and Watanabe) or dull (ATJ). Then the movie has the audacity to focus almost solely on the cardboard cutout it calls a protagonist from the second act and beyond.

And I haven't touched on the lapses in logic and weak score. It tries to be a human drama with monsters in the background. Characters aren't good enough to be an interesting human drama and there isn't enough monster action to compensate for the former weakness. Aside from Cranston's performance and some nice cinematography, it's a pretty disappointing experience.
>>
>>70668991
>you don't see Godzilla enough
>when you see Godzilla the novelty wear off

Which is it faggot?
>>
File: th[1].jpg (11 KB, 299x285) Image search: [Google]
th[1].jpg
11 KB, 299x285
>>70669200
>this autistic rage
>>
>>70669200
I like how you ignored the rest of the novelty sentence, faggot. People like to argue seeing a CGI Godzilla is some redeeming factor. It's nice and all. But it doesn't really matter in the long run.
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 640x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 640x768
>>70668287
>>70668402
>>70668435
>>70668603
>>70668676
>>70668991
BOOM BITCH

GET FUCKED
>>
>>70669593

Lol I dont give a shit what RT says. Its a bad movie period. so why dont you go get fucked. You fuckin rotten tomatoes shill.
>>
>watching that abortion of a movie in its entirety
you got memed nigga
>>
>>70668287
I liked the film up until it switched focuses on a shitty character I didn't care about. Why have Cranston and Binoche if you're going to put Quicksilver front and center?
>>
>>70669593
>74%
>66% AS

Do you know what the word "expectation" means?

We were expecting a huge fight and amazing scenes with Godzilla and Godzilla himself. We wanted to see GODZILLA. Yes, we saw Godzilla, but not enough!

By all means though, it is not a terrible movie, it is just a disappointing one for many Godzilla fans.

I mean, I can understand how you can't fathom the meaning of "disappointment". Therefore, ask your parents, they might start with you.
>>
>>70668287
>you advertise Cranston a main lead but kill him off in first 20 minutes while his unknown wood acting son is the main actor
Fuck this movie
>>
>>70669593
It deserves a 27% whilst BvS deserves higher
>>
>>70668287

But with the buildup and then how awesome he was those 7 minutes or so were worth more than half an hour of monsters punching each other.
>>
>>70670372

you make a fair point. Enjoyed BvS more than this garbage.
>>
>>70668991
I'm glad Edwards is gone. Real glad.

Because not only is he a pretentious faggot, he's also a moron.
The entire point of Godzilla in the film, is that he's a wild card here. The humans don't know why he does what he does, if he's ultimately a friend like Watanabe believes or a foe like the military suspects. That's the vocal point here.

So really, Godzilla needs to be characterized in the movie.
And that just isn't possible when you're only showing close ups of his back or or feet for 90% of his screentime. The motherfucker has to actually show his face and build character.

So really the approach of treating him like the fucking shark in Jaws doesn't fucking work for the premise of the fucking movie they wrote.

Also: Monsters was shit.
HURR DURR THEY MAKE WALE NOISES! DERP
>>
>>70670440

Not gonna lie the 7 minutes we got were great. But the rest of the movie was just so boring and dull. it was like watching a filler episode of your favorite tv show and just waiting for the cliffhanger.
>>
>>70668287
I once heard there was this movie called Jaws...
>>
>Thought 2014 Godzilla would be bad based on what I'd heard about it
>Watched it recently
>Pleasantly surprised

All in all it was a decent movie.
>>
>>70670470

> Have to show face to build character

What a fucking pleb belief if i've ever seen one. What is The Usual Suspects, what is True Detective. The most ominous and mysterious characters are built offscreen through other people's reactions to them. I don't need godzilla wearing a baseball cap flipping a thumbs up as he skateboards through the city.
>>
>>70670511

Whats the point of calling the movie godzilla when hes not even the main character? just call it fucking dinosaurs on a space ship.
>>
To make godzilla an imposing, god like monster they had to play him as almost a horror character - and rightfully so, he would be in real life.

This absolutely means not showing him in his entirety or for too long, because that gives the audience time to figure him out, size him up and then the fear and wonder is lost.

I am fucking glad some of you guys will never be let behind a camera.
>>
>>70670540
>I've never seen a real Godzilla film and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Okay, kiddo.
>>
>>70670540

So all films have to be named after the main character? What a fucking boring cinematic world you live in. Barely any of the godzilla films have him as the main protagonist and when they do he does field goals and flies around. He is a primary focus of the movie though and the victor.
>>
>>70668408
>do i fit in yet guys?
>>
>>70670511
Keyser Soze is an illusive threat you fucking moron. His entire character boils down to basically the devil. That's not a character.
Also neither of your "examples" are a big fucking lizard that winds up being the savior of humanity.

The circumstances are so diametrically different, that it's basically impossible to even compare them.

The stupid fucking Emmerich movie treats what it calls Godzilla as more of a character than your wankfest, Edwards.
>>
>>70670604

A little bit more now that you've turned it off
>>
>>70670712
>he thinks I'm krager
This feels more like an insult than a compliment
>>
>>70670709

Not different at all matey, just because one is good and one bad doesn't mean the same techniques can't be well used to construct their character - especially as godzilla isn't known to be good for the most part.

But clearly you're revealing that you enjoyed Emmerich's godzilla more and that speaks volumes.
>>
>>70670759
Ah yes clearly, a gigantic fucking monster and a turkish mob legend are exactly the same and should be showcased in the same way.

The difference is this:
The Usual Suspects asks: "Who is Keyser Soze?" He's an underworld boogie man. When he shows up it's bad news.
Godzilla asks: "What does Godzilla want?" Can he save us or will he turn on us?
There's a fundamental difference here and if you can't see how it'd be more effective to actually see the beast emote and make the audience ask themselves what's going on in his head, than you don't grasp the most basic concepts of filmmaking.

Hell, Edwards actually starts doing it too, but way too late into the movie. After we spent 95 minutes with bland asshole and his "engaging" story.
>>
>mfw retards thinking Godzilla is meant to be a character
>>
>>70670991

So you like godzilla being pushed to the side and the humans being the focus? Its like those god awful transformer movies. The humans being the focus takes away from everything. ffs. you shills just eat up any old garbage that hollywood spits out and hail it as the second coming.
>>
Godzilla would have been perfect with a better main actor and less cheese

Just rake the cheese and make it comic relief or kill someone important or something

Not seeing godzilla too much was great, anyone who says otherwise is a faggot
>>
>>70668287
>I have never seen a Godzilla film the post.
>>
I would prefer a movie called Aaron Taylor Johnson with an hour of Godzilla looking at Aaron Taylor Johnson in awe while he argues with Elizabeth Olsen.
>>
There hasn't been an actual good godzilla movie since 1954
>>
>>70671266
But that is what the original was as well.

The original was a human drama about a scientist debating whether to use a devastating weapon to kill a monster, but allow this weapon to be used for "other" purposes.

Godzilla was the catalyst for the plot. It was most of the later movies that had more Godzilla fights, but they always had the human drama aspect. Hell, even Final Wars, the Godzilla fight film love letter, still had the human drama with Godzilla being the catalyst for the plot.
>>
>>70672363
The problem is that the 2014 movie wants Godzilla to be a hero at the end.
And it didn't do the necessary work to have that cheesy as fuck ending with "King of Monsters: Savior of humanity?" and everyone cheering him on as he walks into the ocean.

You keep comparing two things that have very little to do with each other.
The Toho films make a clear distinction between the fun romp Godzilla movies and the dour, serious ones.

This flick wanted to be both and failed at either.
>>
>>70672642
I am not saying that the movie was more than "it's alright", but I was just saying to that poster that Godzilla since the very beginning had the humans as the focus and the monsters as the catalyst.
>>
>>70668287
I thought the most interesting side to Godzilla was him and other monsters acting as living natural disasters.

In that aspect I thought the movie was great.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.