[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to these sort of action heroes? What happened to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 20
File: 132168464.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
132168464.jpg
115 KB, 1280x720
What happened to these sort of action heroes? What happened to this sort of masculinity?
>>
>>70666528
The world just kinda moved on and went in a different direction.
>>
>>70666528
I don't know, but I miss it terribly.

Roids fuck you up though and you can't really get major ripped without them it seems
>>
they mutated into cgi action movies ala micheal bay

It was the Big Muscled Hero vs Big explosions.

Big explosions won.
>>
>>70666528
modern society is afraid of it.
>>
fuckin sjw's, bruh
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (64 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
64 KB, 384x384
>>70666528
Who said movies with masculinity isnt made anymore?
>>
>>70666528
It was labeled toxic and swept aside. This is the future.
>>
Estrogen fueled mediocrity.
>>
I remember reading that Stallone blamed Tim Burton's Batman, where the hero wasn't jacked and the muscles were basically built into the suit.
>>
>>70666553
Roids aside, whenever I watch these movies I get a rush and sense of motivation that content today does not deliver.

Why don't producers want to pander to men?
>>
>>70666580
>that fat bearded numale dadbod covered in a mokap leotard
just leave
>>
>>70666542
No it didn't.
>>
>>70666528
It wasn't the heroes you cared about, it was the movies. There's still masculine dudebro movies being made today, they're just shit compared to movies like First Blood, Total Recall and Predator
>>
>>70666528
>masculinity is fading in the world
>buff guys are more likely gays
WELCUM TO THE NU-AGE
>>
Masculinity is fadin where did all those buff guys go. I'm a repressed homo with a paranoid distorted view on society
>>
>>70666528
they're still all over the place
>>
File: stallone.jpg (250 KB, 897x1557) Image search: [Google]
stallone.jpg
250 KB, 897x1557
>>70666528
This generation has no cold war
>>
>>70669521
Seriously though, have you ever watched The Ultimate Fighter? I've never seen a bigger group of whiney, feminine bitches, year after year.
>inb4 they could kick your ass....I know shaolin kung-fu
>>
File: Clinty.png (219 KB, 1011x1013) Image search: [Google]
Clinty.png
219 KB, 1011x1013
Die Hard

Don't get me wrong, Die Hard is one of the best action movies ever made, but have you ever noticed that Die Hard started the trend of the "every man" action hero. No more giant ripped guys like Arnold or Sly tearing the heads off of commies. It was all about the underdog that could be killed.
>>
>>70670115
Yes it does. It's called the cyber war. And the East is winning.
>>
>>70670187
Nuh uh we have 4chin
>>
>>70670177
Die Hard is the overlooked answer to this question. Yeah, we all got less masculine and all that stuff, but Die Hard pretty much killed the invincible muscular action hero. After that, people wanted to see a quippy everyman overcome the odds to beat the bad guys.

Really none of the classic were released post-Die Hard (1988). By the early 90s, most of the popular stuff was Die Hard clones, and then Last Action Hero came around and pretty much officially buried that genre.
>>
>>70670177
Kurt Russell was kind of doing the everyman who could be killed before Bruce Willis.
>>
>>70670115
The cocaine addled " the beast "
>>
Nu males ruined everything
>>
>>70670369
I count Total Recall, True Lies, Speed, Demolition Man, Con Air, Face/Off, Hard Boiled, Under Siege, and afew more to this genre and these were all made in the 90s.
Sure, Keanu and Nic Cage aren't no musclemen, but they're still somewhat "over the top".

Though I agree with the notion that Die Hard changed the direction for the genre, it wasn't until Matrix and the Bourne/Michael Bay-school-of-filming came out at the late 90s/early 00's these films became totally obsolete. Their fastpaced editing combined with the shaky/blurry camerawork is what hurts actionfilms today. I mean, Speed, Die Hard, The Rock, even Heat and Broken Arrow are enjoyable and comfy films.
But Transformers, Taken, capefilms and the Bourne-trilogy is just a total mess and the opposite of relaxing flick to watch, it's all about fullspeed adrenaline for an hour or so, and to me that's kinda boring in the long run, since it fails to develop anything (story, characters, scenes, etc are all over so quick).
To me, the producers/directors of these days lack the understanding of what an action-film really is.
>>
>>70666717

Because females are the undisputed world champions of complaining
>>
File: noticetheswimmingpants.webm (3 MB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
noticetheswimmingpants.webm
3 MB, 1280x688
>>70666528
Those sort of movies are insanely popular in Eastern Europe, Russia, and 3rd world countries, while in Western ones being jacked mowing down soldiers with machine while covered in sweat somehow became "gay"
>>
>>70670831
But Bourne is Spykino, its not action movie, why talk shit ?
>>
File: 51i4MpJlCWL.jpg (32 KB, 300x380) Image search: [Google]
51i4MpJlCWL.jpg
32 KB, 300x380
>>70670369
>Last Action Hero came around and pretty much officially buried that genre

like pottery
>>
The new male action hero is Tom Hardy's Mad Max. A new kind of masculinity.
>>
slowly being poisoned with estrogen in everything.
>>
>>70666580
I thought that was The Revenant at first glance.
>>
>>70670421
>implying anyone can kill Snake Plissken
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 634x929) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 634x929
sly never skipped leg day
>>
>>70666528

Fuck you, this was the movie that made every action star a literal roider.

I miss the 50's-70's when action heroes just looked like normal strong guys. Sean Connery or Charlton Heston are good examples, you'd never see them on screen in that shape nowadays, but they look more relatable.
>>
>>70672629
Did you go to these countries? I live in one of them and they like whatever flavor of the month hollywood put out, as long as it doesnt offend them one way or another. These flicks are only popular among old men/women and hipsters.
>>
>>70674105
>w-why can't the heroes have a disgusting dad bod like me?
People like this guy killed the genre.

The only thing close now is statham but even he slowed down the past couple years
>>
>>70674035
he doesnt, have you not seen the 400lb deadlift videos, some people just have skinny bodyparts
>>
>>70672672
lol, I actually had that action figure growing up.
>>
>>70674433

400 lb deadlift is easily achievable within your first year and a half of lifting. You can't call yourself strong without crossing the threshold of a 495 dl, 400 squat, 315 bench and bw ohp.
>>
>>70674433
deadlifting barely builds legs at all. Strength but not size.
>>
>>70666753

Dude, every action star roids without exception, it's very obvious.

I'm in the army reserves in a role that's basically infantry, and even most of the rangers/SF guys I see aren't as jacked as Rambo and friends, or even the likes of Christian Bale. It's silly.
>>
>>70674723
You're in the army and guys don't roid? What the fuck? I was once at my friend's party where he had a bunch of his army friends and literally every single one was clearly on roids.
>>
>>70666528
How much do you have to workout to get a neck that's bigger than your head?
>>
>>70674856

Some do, plenty don't. I also max all of my PFT's, so lol at your dadbod comment.
>>
>>70674912

*that being said, soldiers that roid are usually the worst kind of hypocrites in that they will laugh hautily at the people pissing hot for smoking a joint on leave/during the month, and then turn around and blast 1g of test
>>
>>70674912
What dadbod comment? Anyway it was incredible, it was like walking into a bodybuilding competition and they were all sub-80 IQ and listening to fucking country pop of all things.
>>
>>70666528
It's now by liberals considered gay.
>>
>>70674860

Traps get huge pretty easily. Any time you lift something off the ground, you're using your traps.
>>
>>70674972

Mistook you for another poster accusing me of dadbod.

The rest of your comment is upsettingly accurate. My unit is at Fort Dix and it's bad even up here. Fugging junior enlisted, I'm doing ROTC soon, so I'll be free of these plebs finally.
>>
>>70670831
The pacing is definitely an issue.
As much as people like to pretend 80s action movies were dumb as bricks, they trusted the audience to be interested in dialogue and slower, tension or character-building scenes a lot more than modern BANGBOOMCGI crap does.
I think writers trying to dodge around the expense of big action scenes back in those days actually made the films better. Its like how 50s-70s scifi is often a lot better than later stuff because they had to come up with an interesting concept and develop it well rather than just lean on CG monsters and explosions.

Predator, Commando and First Blood are high-IQ art films compared to Jason Statham and Michael Bay schlock.
>>
>>70670369
>Last Action Hero came around and pretty much officially buried that genre.
Its funny that that worked given Scream, which was a genuine attempt to kill the slasher genre, just reinvigorated it.

I'll be curious to see what effect spoof/deconstruction stuff like Deadpool and BvS has on the superhero genre.
>>
File: steven_seagal-300x300.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
steven_seagal-300x300.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
Where does sensai fit in?
He was never ripped like Stallone or Lundgren and he never bled and suffered like Willis.
>>
>>70674353
>People like this guy killed the genre.
So true. When these films started pandering to insecure dads, the genre was dead. Look at Taken or the later Die Hard movies: Literally just attempts to make aging men feel like they could still kick ass.
>>
>>70675003
>Traps get huge pretty easily.
Tell me more senpai.
>>
>>70666528

low protein formula

fluoride in the water

media pushing the narrative that being manly is "bad"

thus the result is nu-males
>>
>>70675099
first blood was based on an homonymous book, total recall's based on phillip k dick's we can remember it for your wholesale

nowadays movies are based on comic books and scripts are build around graphs and statistics to minimize the risks of a flop
>>
File: nu-male.png (630 KB, 767x748) Image search: [Google]
nu-male.png
630 KB, 767x748
nu-males took over beards, and gays took over roids
>>
>>70675249
>media pushing the narrative that being manly is "bad"

MGTOW proves otherwise
>>
>>70675233

Shrugs senpai
>>
Too masculine just goes full circle and becomes gay.

See: barashit
>>
File: Sean Connery (3).jpg (260 KB, 625x837) Image search: [Google]
Sean Connery (3).jpg
260 KB, 625x837
>>70666528
>What happened to these sort of action heroes?
Audience's tastes evolve. The thing is the iconic action movies of the 80's had talented filmmakers, the unsung heroes behind the success of Arnold: McTiernan, Verhoeven, Cameron, Milius, all strong auteurs with visual flair and thematic depth, Sly himself wrote the first Rocky, the first Rambo was a drama about a PTSD soldier, sequels evolved into caricatures, Sly and Arnold started doing kids movies. McTiernan did Die Hard, Willis and Gibson were better at balancing comedy and action and drama. It kept evolving towards buddy movies, Bruckheimer, then 9-11 chaotic handheld filmmaking, Hong Kong influences, then capeshit and vidya.
People don't realize McTiernan was also the first to go meta with Last Action Hero and handheld with Die Hard 3. A true visionary.

>What happened to this sort of masculinity?
People started getting bored of invincible God-like type of characters, and instead wanted more relatable, flawed, funny characters. The rise of Arnold and Sly are also tied to the cold war and Reagan era, the advances in steroids and how that culture of extreme vanity was also linked to consumerism and marketing, etc. Bodybuilders from the 60's didn't look as good, they just stared in shitty Italian peplums or TV shows, like Ferrigno in Hulk (which is now done by CGI). Sean Connery was actually a bodybuilder. By today's standards, this would be considered a dadbod. The question of masculinity isn't just about the body, it was also behavior and values. You wouldn't find a lead like Heston or Connery anymore, like you wouldn't find a Mifune in Japan. Society/media got feminized and infantilized, action leads have been getting younger, they're more sensitive, etc. Matt Damon could have never been a lead in the 50's. The funny thng is that roids are now more prevalent than ever in capeshit Hollywood, but the focus is more on being cut with six packs than having massive arms, they're inoffensive for girls.
>>
>>70666553
It's wasn't about roided up guys wanting to see other ripped guys you quasi-homo, it wasn't about watching out of irony either.
It's about studios quitting the genre, Van Damme wasn't especially ripped and neither was Norris, Willis, Stallone or Seagal. Alot of them weren't Schwarzenegger buff, he was really the only guy known for huge muscles
>>
>>70675661
The only one worth watching these days is Van Damme.
>>
>>70666528
>I love quips and 'splosions
Just watch a Marveldrone movie.
>>
>>70674563
>>70674433
deadlifting build some glutes though
>>
>>70666528

When the world became woke and realised that this manchild fantasy doesn't reflect the broad spectrum of people, genders and body types that exist on this planet.

This film was problematic on so many levels. It never should have been made an a more progressive direction should have been taken; such as Rambo renouncing his violent ways and attemptin to make amends for his barbaric behaviour by mentoring inner city black youths or volunteering at an outreach centre for trans men and women
>>
>>70675723

im in on this joke
>>
>masculinity
>huge muscly guy

that was masculinity in 1960, these days it's just ain't
>>
>>70675661
Matter of fact *None of them were Schwarzenegger buff

That whole "80's bro, steroids hurrr!" is bullshit. There were b-movie stars that gained popularity and they were just fit, nothing out of the ordinary.
>>
>>70675162
I was disappointed Deadpool didn't go as deconstructionist as some of the source material,but I'll grant you BvS was a heck of a great spoof of bloated superhero shitfests.
>>
>>70675954
ITT retard afflicted with steroid brain rot who doesn't even understand how people on roids look.
>>
>>70666528
>What happened
CGI
PG
SJW
>>
>>70666528
Checkboxes style marketing. Back then, you had different movies for different audiences. Action movies were very clearly marketed towards males, be they young or middle-aged, there was no attempt to appeal to women in them.

Nowadays, the studios are trying to go as broad as they can and the result are bland and forgettable movies that are supposed to appeal to everybody.

This is also linked to the fact that women will spend money on ANYTHING so naturally, the jew goes where the money is.

Furthermore, 9/11 changed the world and especially the villains. Gone are the self-serving power hungry villains, today it's only fanatics.

>>70675099
This is also right.
>>
>>70666528
There are no strong lead actors nowdays, closest we have is the rock/vin deasel but they are like henchmen level in a schwarzenegger/stallone movie
>>
>>70670428
Charlie!! Charlie!!
>>
>>70666528

It begone to be called "toxic masculinity"
>>
File: Exterminator Steve James.jpg (68 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
Exterminator Steve James.jpg
68 KB, 658x370
>>70675954
> mfw Dudikoff was a kindergarten teacher and had no clue about martial arts
> mfw Steve James was a skilled martial artist and all around awesome guy and died at age 41
>>
The economics of Hollywood changed. Look at the budgets of most of these macho films. They're almost all 10-30 million dollars. You literally cannot make films for that price anymore. Every film has to cost 150 million dollars.

That means you need to get your money back. Which means PG-13. Which means aiming at a general audience.

Macho films can only work by aiming at men only.
>>
https://youtu.be/yRvTM2BVAyQ
>>
>>70675201

He's a bullshit artist pretending to be a superman martial artist.
>>
File: chris pratt.jpg (215 KB, 1565x886) Image search: [Google]
chris pratt.jpg
215 KB, 1565x886
You're looking at him.

In all seriousness, the age of anabolic steroid abuse is at its end. Natty kings like Chris Pratt are the new alphas.
>>
>>70676872

He's just an upgraded Brendan Fraser. Nice, normal looking guys who fill the role of straight man heroes in blockbuster films. They are completely expendable actors and can be replaced at any time.
>>
>>70676872
>implying he didn't use copious amounts of HGH and test to get in shape.
>>
>>70666528
steroid scandals

people never really liked bodybuilders, they came to despise them after the 80s.
>>
>>70670187
>It's called the cyber war. And the East is winning.
Not even close to what it was like during the cold war though. Its really hard to communicate what it was like living in the world with the iron curtain being a thing.
>>
>>70666528

The faggots, feminists, and Jews in Hollywood are trying to convince the public that "that" kind of masculinity is toxic....unless it's a women portraying those kinds of roles.
>>
Arnold got old and he was the only good bodybuilder actor

Not that he could act, his acting was fucking shit but the sheer massive charisma schwarzenegger had made him succeed

Arnold was so fucking cool that he'd be a king in the middle ages or at least a legendary warrior. Inb4 roids - his genetics were god-tier
>>
>>70675201
>he never bled and suffered like Willis.
Wrong. Executive decision. Dies at the beginning of the second act.
>>
>>70679293
>Not that he could act, his acting was fucking shit but the sheer massive charisma schwarzenegger had made him succeed
The age of the MOVIE STAR ended. Tom Cruise is the last of the dinosaurs.
>>
Films like First Blood aren't made anymore.
Nobody wants to come out of their comfort zone anymore.
Listen to Sly's commentary on First Blood. He broke so many bones during that movie he lost count. He had a platinum card at the infirmary.
>>
>>70676872
>every other actor is on roids
>many people don't know that
>not looking like them means you're just jealous
>looking like them is next to impossible without being on gear
pratts looks are achievable natty, but as an actor it would make sense if he had taken a shortcut.
>>
what on earth is "natty"
>>
>>70679308
Best plot twist / stunt casting ever.
>>
>>70680046
Without steroids, HGH, etc. It's retard speak for "natural". (and protip: literally no one you see on the big screen is natty)
>>
>>70680046
Getting fit through natural means i.e. Working out and eating right without the use of steroids and the like.
>>
*shotgun cocking*
*explosion*
*American flag billowing*
"Hey baby. Lets make a movie."
*panning shot of LA*
*mothership hovers overhead*
"Time to kick some ass"
>>
>>70679350
this is a sad realization. Not that the MOVIE STAR ended. But that the MALE MOVIE STAR, ended.
>>
>>70680766
They Live! remake when?
>>
>>70680797
Are there any female movie stars?

Movie stars ended all together, it's all about dem sweet franchises now.
>>
They don't make em like that anymore. Dude legit looked like an action figure. Crazy proportions.
>>
>>70682279

No, action figures looked like HIM
>>
>>70675536
Very good comment. Agreed
>>
It's 2016.

Masculinity is toxic!
DESTROY THE PATRIARCHY!
>>
>>70680516
True that. I still remember watching this as a kid with my dad and it was actually a shock to us when he is blown out of the airlock.
>>
>>70680797
I dont know anon. There are female celebrities, but its not the same. A "Schwarzenegger Movie" was a genre unto itself. The closest you get with actresses was like, what, Meryl Streep?
>>
File: arnold.jpg (2 MB, 4350x5475) Image search: [Google]
arnold.jpg
2 MB, 4350x5475
>>70670177
Lethal Weapon falls into this as well.

also just the fact that Stallone and Arnold were 1 of a kind. You can't just replace them. even Van Damme and Seagal tended to have more of an everyman sort of physique and air to them.

then Arnold and Sly went into family movies in the 90's, and 80's macho action died in favor of kindergarten cop and stop or my mom will shoot.

Also mediocrity. both sly and arnold did a whole bunch of duds in the 90's, but Arnold was fairly successful in his family action role. but then he became Governor and left the acting scene altogether, whiole stallone never really stopped, but became sort of a straight to dvd action star like Seagal. Van Damme got blacklisted, and so did Mel Gibson, and who was really left? Then jason Bourne came around and went even further than Mel and Willis. that is the true everyman action star. and from there action became a scifi or big CGIfest thing. Remember, Matrix was an action movie. and also a CGI movie. then capeshit started in the late 00's, and has now taken over the action genre completely.

By the time Sly and his contemporaries like Arnold and vandamme decided to make an oldschool action flick in the Expendables or Escape Plan, it was too late, they werent exactly that fantastic, and the actors are all old.

but again also, there just aren't any Stallones or Arnolds for this generation. There's the Rock or Vin Diesel, but they went straight to family shit almost right away, or franchise shit in vin's case, with the fast/furious movies. The rock would be great if he;d do a proper oldschool action flick. He's certainly got the body for it.

We'd have to wait for capeshit to die down before classic action comes back.

Also, it cant be overestimated how vietnam factors into the equation. First Blood was basically a Vietnam drama about PTSD and shit, but it set the tone. Action movies in the 80's became vietnam fiction where burly American macho men win vietnam proxies. (Predator especially)
>>
>>70674723
Army training is strength building, it's more about fitness than the gains. You're either not in the army reserves or a total idiot if you don't understand this.

Also my brother is a manager at McDonalds and he's bigger and more ripped than Bale. You don't have to be on steroids to get big, eating a shitload of carbs and being obsessed with the gym is easily enough.
>>
>>70666542
Western culture moves in the direction the illuminati wants it to
>>
File: oF6G2Zv.jpg (2 MB, 4000x2667) Image search: [Google]
oF6G2Zv.jpg
2 MB, 4000x2667
watch this
no
seriously
watch this
>>
Action heroes before 80s were normal men. Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Charles Bronson, Charleston Heston, Steve McQueen, etc.

The 80s had a lot of excess in media. Suddenly a normal guy wasn't good enough, it had to be some roided out hulk. Then that era declined and we've gone back to normal. The 80s were an exception, not the rule.
>>
>>70687672
>and we've gone back to normal.
lol
>>
>>70687426
I thoroughly enjoyed this
>>
we have superheroes now. the cartoonish muscled dude with clear homoerotic connotations was clearly of its time (the 80's and its gaudy excess, the fitness boom, etc). now they moved on it has nothing to do with your sjw obsession. but yeah, there are few movies with strong men leading the way
>>
>>70670421
Kurt is one of the manliest motherfuckers that isn't jacked tho, there are only a few.

Mel Gibson is another.
>>
>>70687747
Perfectly normal guys, fatso.
>>
>>70666528
the soviet union ended.
now you need another role model: someone keen on anti"terrorism".
>>
I was so hyped to see Mad Max last year, expecting this sort of character again

Shame he was just a sidekick to Furiosa
>>
>>70688625
>if you ain't roided up, you 're fat.
>>
File: Kyle.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Kyle.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
>>70688464
>>70670421
>>70670177

you guys are either underage or deluded
>>
File: JayCutler-MD-May2013-Unk-414.jpg (76 KB, 705x1000) Image search: [Google]
JayCutler-MD-May2013-Unk-414.jpg
76 KB, 705x1000
>>70689920
I don't know the timeframe between those two pictures. It's possible he used steroids to gain gainz rapidly to prep for a role.

But that possibility aside, those gains are possible naturally, at least for him. He's got good genetics for it. And if he's on juice, he's not on very much. He doesn't have the ripped, shredded look that steroids give. That is soft muscle.
>>
>>70690066
then maybe he wasn't excercising enough, maybe he just lifted some weights.
>>
>>70670177
We'll tbf, Arnold and Sly turned down Die Hard so you can blame them
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.