[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will movies ever get Deaf culture right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: nef.jpg (155 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
nef.jpg
155 KB, 1280x720
Will movies ever get Deaf culture right?
>>
>>70658743
deaf people have a culture?
>>
>>70658743
that's a series, not a movie
>>
>deaf people are reading this thread right now

SOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOI
>>
>>70658781
And Daredevil is blind, not deaf.
>>
>character is deaf
>looks people right in the eye when talking to them and reacts to their facial expressions
>>
>>70658760
Yes. Any type of person possesses "culture" among others who identify with them across a variety of subjects.

Also, Hush?
>>
>>70658900
Daredevil = Illidan confirmed.
>>
>>70658900
he's actually blind AND deaf you moron
>>
deaf people are fucking assholes
>>
>>70658743
How about Switched at Birth or The Tribe?
>>
>>70658925

>character is blind

>he looks groomed and clean
>>
File: 457076556.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1997) Image search: [Google]
457076556.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1997
>blind people will never know charlie cox's smile
they truly are suffering
>>
>>70658743
WHAT?
>>
>>70659093
Well I can see fine and constantly look like hobo so I dont see why it can't be the other way around.
>>
>>70659000
Mouth that to my face and not online and see what happens
>>
>>70659000

yeah they get laid quite frequently

also checked
>>
>>70659233
I will, right before I beat you till there's bone in your feces.
>>
I work at a Braille library and work with blind people everyday. Ask me anything.
>>
>>70659310

how do you get laid with a blind girl
>>
>>70659310
.:..::..:. ..:: ::..: .::..::;:
And then I said
>I don't Mickey, but it's your round!

Know any other classic braile jokes?
>>
>>70659331
Go ask /vg/, they have a digital instruction manual explaining everything that they haven't stopped talking about for around half a decade.
>>
how hard is to learn deaf/mute language?
it looks like a neat skill to have
>>
>>70659331
I'd argue they are fairly easy, though I never tried it myself. They are rejected by most people, I've mostly only seen blind-blind couples and just the occasional slutty blind girl (yes) will hook some beta guy with perfect vision for themselves.

>>70659360
My coworkers are blind and they troll themselves sometimes. One of the guys with short vision spinned my blind colleague in his chair and he got up completely lost to where he was and cursing. The other day I saw two blind guys talking: "Hey how's your family, I haven't seen your son in ages" "Yeah, me neither".
>>
>>70659452
Braille library worker here. I know some sign language as well. It's not particularly hard, but it's very hard to forget if you don't practice (like my case). If you don't work with deaf people from time to time, you'll soon forget it. Also, it varies way too much from place to place, it's like every region had its own dialect. Not only you'll only be able to talk to "english speakers", but if you travel far you won't be understood, they'd have their own slang.

Also, deaf people are assholes, really. If you take what they say to heart, you'll likely be offended. They judge people by their appearance and say everything quite bluntly.
>>
>>70659543
>"Hey how's your family, I haven't seen your son in ages" "Yeah, me neither".
Holy fuck thats great
>>
>>70659637
What is the sign language for "Well, you can't hear" in case one of them ever offends me?
>>
>>70659637
On the deaf assholes thing, I actually did encounter a guy who was fond of using his disability to play the victim as away of bullying others....devious bastard.

Someone mentioned that film the tribe, I honestly wonder what sign language fluent people thought watching that movie.
>>
>>70658743
>It's just, I couldn't do nothing, you know? All the things. I couldn't take my wife to bed. Ball with the boy. Shit... I was too tired, I couldn't even drink a goddamn beer, you know? But not her. My girl was up. See, she wanted to, uh, she wanted me to tuck her in. She... she outgrew it, she knew it, but she didn't care. She wanted it. She had that book. Her favorite book was out on the pillows. One Batch, Two Batch, Penny and Dime, you know? I read her that book every night before this shit. I read it every single night, but, see, that was over now, because Daddy's home now. She looked at me and she begged me, Red. She begged. She begged. I said, "No. Daddy's too tired, see. But I'll... I'll read to you tomorrow night. I promise." Yeah. Never think that for her there was not gonna be any tomorrow, see? The last time I'd see her, I'd be holding her lifeless body in my arms. Meat was spilling out of her, Red. The place where her face used to be. I think I'm done, Red. I think I'm done.
Huh?
>>
>>70659692
There is a way of touching the ear that says that, but I can't reproduce it here and it would only work for where I live anyway.

>>70659748
Yeah, it's a real thing, I'm not making it up. I've read little about it, but theory has it that they are not repressed as kids just like we do. If you were point to someone and call them stupid looking, your father would shout at you at least, but they grow in that world of appearances and have only that to communicate with each other.

A great source of misunderstandings is when they give you a name. They don't spell it all the time, they give you a nickname based in something you see about you. I know a girl named Lara who is asian and her "deaf name" is a movement over the eye like a squint and the letter "L". If you have braces or glasses, it's probable that will be included in your name. Very embarassing stuff, but normal to them.
>>
File: anger-management.jpg (104 KB, 1184x1600) Image search: [Google]
anger-management.jpg
104 KB, 1184x1600
I SAID, WILL MOVIES EVER GET DEAF CULTURE RIGHT???!!!
>>
>>70660864

No.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.