[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hollywood on Pace to Sell the Fewest Tickets Per Person in Since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: badmovie5[1].jpg (66 KB, 630x919) Image search: [Google]
badmovie5[1].jpg
66 KB, 630x919
>Perhaps Hollywood’s funk is even worse than a sequel slump. In 2016, the film industry is on pace to sell the fewest U.S. tickets per person of any year since perhaps before the 1920s and the fewest total tickets in two decades. This is an extrapolation based on previous years’ sales progressions, and a strong summer or fall could boost the final figures. But this year might even weaker than it looks. The sixth and seventh highest-grossing films of 2016—Star Wars Ep. VII and The Revenant—were actually released in 2015. Box office analysts are grim. “Hollywood is in a creative funk,” Jeff Bock, an analyst, told The Hollywood Reporter.
>In this environment, where Americans buy only four movie tickets a year, it’s more expensive to create an audience for a film.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/hollywood-has-a-huge-millennial-problem/486209/

Why is Hollywood so out of touch?
>>
>>70621074
Maybe if they lifted off the no singles police they would actually sell more tickets
>>
Someone post hershlagtoessucking.webm
>>
>>70621074
POO
IN
LOO
POO
IN
LOO
POO
IN
LOO
>>
>>70621074
You don't want to watch black transexual women beating the shit out of white men?
>>
>>70621074
>hollywood producer meeting
>guy1: "Guys, I'm sure you're aware we're in a crisis. People don't seem to be going to the movies anymore and profit is down"
>guy2: "whatever can we do?!"
>guy3: "well netflix and amazon video seem to catching stream, I wonder if..."
>guy1: "Exactly! Our business is being undercut. There's only one solution. We have to double the percentage of ticket-profit we take from cinemas. It's our only hope"
>everyone: "genius"
>>
>>70621144
>tfw you forgot your pet pass and your falcon has to wait outside

I knew i should have stapled it to my lanyard
>>
too much piracy
>>
>>70621074
Not enough diversity
>>
>>70621284
desu I don't even download that much anymore.
>>
>>70621074
Poor marketing. They need to pay marketers to generate street hype and promote products like Star Wars, Avengers, and Justice League. It's simply a matter of consumer awareness.
>>
>>70621284
You can't blame all of life's problems on somalis, anon.
>>
Probably due to terrible trailers. 90% of trailers I see actually make me hate the film, and it's only when I see it later on HBO or Netflix that I think it's not that bad and I wouldn't have minded seeing it in theaters.

Basically fire the advertisers, they're awful.
>>
Stop trying to sell merch and instead make a good fucking movie.
>>
>>70621421
Are you serious?
>>
They need to make theaters more comfy and lower prices.
>>
>>70621074
Good, let it burn
>>
>>70621486
Theaters aren't in control of movie prices just the food.
>>
Because people either go watch the big blockbusters out of habit (which some are tired of) or go watch a few movies during the Oscar season so that they know what everyone's talking about. People aren't simply interested by movies anymore, they don't make that much captivating stuff and most genuinely interesting and enjoyable entertainment is now on TV.
>>
They're out of touch, yes, but everyone has a great screen and access to anything they want. 3D was an attempt to get people to think the theater experience was necessary with Avatar, but the movie was crap and 3D was not embrassed. Anymore, people wait for VOD or Redbox rather than paying inflated prices to watch something they could watch at home a few months later. Pirating isn't even a factor here, Americans are becoming more isolated and shooters don't help.
>>
same problem as the music industry. home streaming makes all of this shit obselete
>>
>>70621421
Yeah trailers are pretty terrible. And then when you finally have a really good trailer, the movie sucks anyway. Fucking Godzilla.
>>
>theaters will go the way of arcades in 30 years
>>
>>70621074
That's because there are too many white males whining about white male problems. Who wants to watch that crap anymore ?
Get more diverse casting and others will watch movies. Just look at the latest Star Wars
>>
>>70621284
Vast majority of the shit hollywood churns out isn't even worth downloading for free
>>
File: 1465425687342.jpg (12 KB, 195x167) Image search: [Google]
1465425687342.jpg
12 KB, 195x167
>>70621635
Shut your whore mouth.
>>
>>70621540
The food is the most overpriced fucking part
>>
>>70621770

Nobody forces you to eat that shit, fatty.
>>
>>70621655
It's practically inevitable. I think Force Awakens proved that cinemas are still a draw, but they're slowly fading away as more people are satisfied with home media via streaming.
No need for fucking $50+ million budgets anymore.
>>
File: 08LAZER-slide-JOQ8-superJumbo.jpg (42 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
08LAZER-slide-JOQ8-superJumbo.jpg
42 KB, 1280x720
>>70621074
>http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/06/hollywood-has-a-huge-millennial-problem/486209/
>millennial

IS THERE ANYTHING THESE NIGGERS DON'T FUCK UP?
>>
>>70621657
Diversity was already mentioned, nigger
>>
>>70621074

PLEASE let this be a reality. We need for real creativity and risk taking to come back to movie making. Enough of this no talent pussy shit where the audience decides how and what gets made... like they know a fucking thing.
>>
>>70621242

Name four movies where this happens.
>>
>>70621852
And it needs to be beaten over your heads.
Nobody wants to watch some white guy talk about stocks. And they give it a fucking Oscar nomination.
>>
Audiences are getting fed up with Capeshit, sequels and remakes to the point where they'd rather watch it online than pay $15 to see it

Get more creative
>>
>>70621706
This. I could, if I wanted, download every single movie that came out in a year and watch them all for free. There's nothing stopping me. Yet I can't be assed to do it. I pirate maybe 2 or 3 movies in a year, that's all I give enough of a shit to do.
>>
>>70621867
Every Angelina Jolie movie since Girl, Interrupted
>>
>>70621450
Trailers are the first major impression people get of a film. If it's not on-point they probably won't bother with it. 9/10 trailers I watch turn me off the movie entirely.
>>
Theaters cost too much for a shitty experience. Hire some bouncers to keep the places quiet during the movies and watch ticket sales go up.

Also, stop remaking movies and churning out endless sequels and ready-made franchises.

Oh, and enough with the anti-white, anti-male shit. I'm not paying to get insulted unless it's funny.
>>
>>70621814
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/studios-exhibitors-consider-revolutionary-plan-for-day-and-date-movies-at-home-exclusive-1201725168/

The price won't stay at this, but I think if this streaming device catches on, it would replace DVD players. Getting friends together at a house would be a lot more palatable than going to the theaters.
>>
>>70621902
Hollywood is waiting on James Cameron to hurry up and bring about AnimeKino. They ran through his Avatar clones already.
>>
too much fucking movies, only the hypest ones are seen at the kinohaus
>>
>>70621964
i like the idea in your link, even if it is for a very specific use-case
>>
>>70621955
white males are the smallest spending demographic on the planet, though.
>>
>>70621964
>it would replace DVD players
it's already replacing them.
This is how video game clients like Steam came about in the early 00s in the face of piracy. With the costly middleman out of the way, it's more appealing for studios to now try to sell their films and shows to streaming devices as more and more people cut cable and go to the theaters less frequently.
>>
>>70621810
Nice projection
I take a bucket of KFC in under my trenchcoat anyway
>>
>>70621964

>Having friends

Kill yourself
>>
>>70621584
>every worth-a-fuck movie comes out in a glut at the end of the year
>stays in theaters for about a day
>omg why aren't we selling any tickets??
>>
>>70621827
>generations work in harmony
>they learn from the generations before, look up to them in childhood
>they assimilate in adulthood and slowly take the reigns
>then, as they reach old age they pass the reigns on to the next generation
>every generation until the baby boomers who decide they don't want to pass on the reigns
>boomers fuck up economy, making it impossible for first-time buyers to get on the housing ladder without wealthy parents
>boomers fuck up politics, America has the choice between a compulsive, narcissistic lying flip-flopper and Trump this year
>boomers fuck up global politics, let's just invade country that could profit us. Oh shit, terrorists and refugees, ah well. What can you do?
>boomers give up on space innovation because they won't live long enough to see the stars anyway
>oh shit the world's noticing
>boomers blame all the world's problems on millennials, self-entitled dickweeds who have no power and are permanently fucked up because of the boomers
BRAVO
>>
>>70621395
Tell that to captain Phillips
>>
>>70621590
Avatar sold 3D quite well. Its everyone since thinking a cheap post-production blurry shitty mess can have the same effect that killed 3D, again.
>>
>>70621074
there is literally too much diversity in the United States right now. That's why.

If you make a movie with a white couple married or single nobody watches it.
If you make a movie with a black couple--it's basically straight to DVD.
Make a movie with an interracial couple then it's whitewashing/blackwashing... agenda driven jew fueled etc etc hogwash.
Nobody wants to watch horror films anymore
Action films are shittier than ever.
There are no great personalities in Hollywood anymore. I guess you have a few like Vin Diesel and whatnot but no one is great.
ACTUAL good films never make it to theatres.
>Bone Tomahawk
>A Most Violent Year.
2 of the best films last year barely have a theatrical run.

Hollywood is just continuously fucking up.
They need to start putting out some indie films in theatres and not the same recycled bullshit
>>
>>70622125
>every studio has it's own streaming device

if you think this is a good idea you need to shoot yourself in the face.
>>
>>70622201
is this your son?

No, it's not mine
>>
>>70621955
>Oh, and enough with the anti-white, anti-male shit.

Where are you seeing that at the movies? Most progressive leaning types would say that Hollywood's offerings are overly white and overly male (and overly straight) at present.
>>
>>70622106
Maybe becasue we're, like, 5% of the world's population.
>>
1. Movies are too expensive. I paid $20.50 to see X-Men Apocalypse. I image $3 of that was for those stupid 3D glasses.

2. People use their phones to take pics, check instagram/facebook, text, etc during the movie. They don't even lower the screen brightness or try to hide it.

3. Millennial twats talk during the movie.

4. Take chances with movies. Would films like Fargo or Pulp Fiction get a major release nowadays?
>>
>>70621074
The last two weeks have seen the release of absolutely abysmal films and that will continue into next week too. Hopefully something decent will come out soon.
>>
>>70622358

You can still be OVERLY white and ANTI white at the same time.
>>
>>70621074
I want to suck on Ashton's toes!
>>
>>70621421
>trailer gives out biggest joke they saved up for the movie or the big bad reveal and something that might actually make me sad if i didn't know it was coming
this needs to stop
>>
>>70622256
>a tale of tales
>the witch
>green room

caught them all on vod instead of watching them at the theater. mistake, but only the witch had any sort of theatrical run. maybe american culture is getting to the point where certain segments are too ossified for hollywood to make movies that the entire ga can like
>>
>>70621144
Seriously, where in the United States is there a "no singles policy"?
>>
File: 1461627475921.png (144 KB, 394x398) Image search: [Google]
1461627475921.png
144 KB, 394x398
>>70621144
Yeah, and drop the penis inspection. It's embarrassing.
>>
>>70622282
That's the direction things are going. Why do you think Netflix got into producing their own content? They knew that eventually the movie and TV giants would get off their asses and start their own streaming platforms, and the content they used to get from those networks and studios would dry up pretty fast when that happened. Trying to stay one step ahead of the curve and fill out their media portfolio so they can offer a huge selection of titles that will literally never expire or be taken off of the site due to losing a license.
>>
they brought this upon themselves. normies just go from capeshit to capeshit.
>>
>>70622167

>existing

Kill yourself
>>
>>70622256
Just proves that political correctness is creative poison. Don't expect we'll see anything really ground breaking til it passes.
>>
Movie tickets are too fucking expensive for how shitty most movies are these days, so of course they aren't selling tickets.
>>
>Lowest tickets per person since the 1920s

>Population in 1920: 106,021,537
>Population in 2010: 308,745,538
Presuming it's roughly at parity, only a little lower. They're still selling nearly 3x as many tickets. Ticket prices are comparatively higher. Foreign markets have since not only opened up, but prospered. Home media releases have been introduce.

Sure, counteracting that is that there are more movies needed to sell to get to that total number and they're more expensive to make. Advertising budgets and so on. But studios aren't exactly going bankrupt. Even Sony who literally cannot make a hot movie aren't in trouble of closing.

When actors are getting paid $50 million, when 20 years ago the notion of being paid $20 million was so absurd and laughable it was openly mocked, and when studios are willing to pay that amount of money. When studio heads are some of the wealthiest people in America. When the most respected people on the planet are people who play make believe as a profession solely because they're apart of the products this industry produces. You can't really argue that this industry is anything other than lucrative.

Literally fuck off, Jews. Stop crying persecution for once is you fucking lives. How can you have so much and still act like you're being hard done by because piracy or whatever lame scapegoat you're blaming this week. Your intellectual output has been going down for decades and is at an all time low. Maybe improve your standards before complaining that people lost faith in your products.
>>
>>70621074

The only flick I've watched this year was the Tarantino movie.

Nothing else looked worth watching....
>>
File: 1460732813000.jpg (23 KB, 664x259) Image search: [Google]
1460732813000.jpg
23 KB, 664x259
1. Ticket prices have gone up steadily, wages haven't budged. We literally cant afford to watch a movie every other Friday like we used to 10 years ago.

2. ALL big budget blockbusters in the past 8 years have been reboots, sequels, prequels or adaptions. At some point we lose interest

3. Hollywood's economic model is archaic and unsustainable. We now live in a world with Netflix/Hulu/Youtube, Snapchat, twitter, hell even reddit and 4chan. 180 minutes is worth A LOT more to consumers than it used to be. Honestly, would you rather take out 4 hours of your night and $15 to be mildly entertained or shitpost on 4chan instead where u get even more entertainment, get to participate, and dont pay a single cent. Audiences today REFUSE to spend both their money AND their time on the gamble that a movie is good, when time has shown they usually arent.

Hollywood will be a relic of the past, I guarantee they wont survive in their current state another 20 years. How they adapt to today is anyone's guess. I'm gonna guess we'll have Hollywood movies streamed to our computers by 2020.
>>
>>70622282
HBO already does that. Netflix is heavily investing in its content.
>>
>>70621144
Not true. The no singles policy has been quite succesful at revitalizing interest from couples and larger families. Idiots (likely virgins) just think that correlation implies causation. I bet revoking the no singles policy would actually lower cinema attendance, not to mention the cost from the lawsuits after the inevitable shootings.
>>
>>70621074
>In 2016, the film industry is on pace to sell the fewest U.S. tickets per person of any year since perhaps before the 1920s
Good they fucking deserve it.
>>
>movie theaters full of fucking niggers with a movie on screen that invariably pushes Quips and Social Justice instead of a story for its own sake
Gee why don't I go see more movies I guess I'm just too much of an evil white bigot
>>
>>70621657
>>70621314
The problem is actually part of this. They upped mandatory diversity a shitload to get blacks to go see shit like Marvel movies. Problem is when blacks go somewhere nobody else wants to.
>>
>>70622828
>Hollywood's economic model is archaic and unsustainable.

This is the big one.

The Jews used to be able to monopolize access to film and music entertainment, but that capability no longer exists due to the internet, and they simply refuse to change, or don't know how to Jew the internet aged audience the way they used to in the past.

Hopefully this means that actors and entertainers will be treated like the gypsy scum they are, once again.
>>
Does this mean Hollywood's Leftist circlejerking will come to an end at some point in the future?
>>
File: The Muffin.jpg (84 KB, 769x1064) Image search: [Google]
The Muffin.jpg
84 KB, 769x1064
>>70622798
Yeah fuck off, Jews. You wish you were as talented and handsome as this guy.
>>
>>70621486
THIS

One of the local AMCs upgraded to recliners and assigned seating. If I can't get tickets to see a movie I want to see there when I can, I don't go. And when I do go, a small soda or bottle of water and a small popcorn is over $10. I also only go to matinees to avoid the stupids and their crying children. No 3d, no IMAX. Lately, more and more, I'm just skipping the theater altogether and waiting for dvd/br release so I can watch @ home.

>>70621706
and THIS
>>
>>70622523
No, not outright. In some establishments, it is, but that is usually right after a mass-shooting. And it "policy" doesn't last more than a few weeks. There are no falcon clubs, either.

You're experiencing a dank may-may.
>>
The problem is that people look at rotten tomatoes and meta critic as the kings of movie reviews, and when a movie gets a good review and they go watch it it turns out it sucked, so they tell there friends meanwhile movies that are good get bad reviews and people just don't watch them
>>
>>70621074
>shit uncomfortable theatres dominate the industry
>consessions horrendously overpriced
>most movies are artless, thoughtless garbage
I wonder why.
>>
>We need more multucultural, gender/sexual orientation empowering and multiracial movies because white people don't go to cinemas anymore!

Maybe they think in that why according to their movies.
>>
>>70621912
That collection of things you keep just calling trees? The rest of us call them a forest. The point isn't that you personally are unamused by the majority of what is being released and you're being in your opinion "picky" about what you illegally download. It isn't even that you're such a darn nice guy that you exhibit some restraint and only illegally download movies you "really really want to see". It's you and everybody else only downloading a little bit that's turned into such a wide trend that it's starting to make a visible dent in the box office. Try thinking of it the same way you do littering. The subject is how the city is covered in trash and your rebuttal is that you only litter one or two times a year, and that if you really wanted to you could probably do it a lot more.
>>
>>70622847
And if they don't have their own, they partner w/ someone else, like Showtime w/ Hulu or Amazon Prime.
>>
>>70623564
Your overblown metaphor falls apart because littering makes a place uglier while depriving Hollywood of money makes the world more beautiful.
>>
>>70623231
He has a danish pig snout
>>
>>70623564
Littering would be a valid analogy if all garbage cans were incredibly uncomfortable, filled with obnoxious scum who ruined the experience, and were horribly overpriced, and throwing away trash was significantly less satisfactory than the trailers advertising it implied

It's a simple fact that abusive business practices encourage black markets, all they have to do is fix their industry and people will start buying more again
>>
>>70623398
Social media plays a big part too in word of mouth. Minutes after a movie is released people take to Facebook/Twitter/Ect. to praise or trash a movie. It's all part of our instant gratification culture.
>>
BASED CHINESE HDTC MAN KILLING HOLLYWOOD
>>
As a millennial I have a huge having money and will to live problem.
>>
>>70621074
the internet happened. and i'm not just talking about piracy. basically everyone has roughly the same amount of free time to spend entertaining themselves, but the entertainment options are much more numerous nowadays. did you guys forget that the video game industry makes more than hollywood now?

hollywood hasn't adjusted.
>>
>>70623698
Clearly it doesn't because it leads to production studios scared to take risks and leads to the shitty capeshit/sequels/all female reboots we find ourselves inundated with today.
>>70623777
Except that you can still pay and legally download movies. If your argument is that you'd simply rather just watch movies at home then why won't you pay for the right to do it? It's cheaper to download a movie on vod than it is to go to the theatre.
>>
>>70623832
But they're the only people keeping Hollywood alive at this point
>>
File: 1465084868330.jpg (139 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1465084868330.jpg
139 KB, 600x900
This is year is fucking shit
I was talking with my frimds about how in this time last year we already had Mad max, ex machina and Inside out
This is year fucking zootopia is the best movie I've seen
>>
>>70621284
If movie theaters weren't so ghetto and crowded (not to mention expensive) I wouldn't pirate, but it's just a more enjoyable experience.
>>
>>70623926
>If your argument is that you'd simply rather just watch movies at home then why won't you pay for the right to do it?

not that guy, but i do. the problem is distribution and release timing. not all movies are available from every online distributor and new releases aren't available online for up to 3 months after initial release.

if i could just pay the 13$ to watch the new summer blockbuster from home, i would. if a movie comes out i really want to see and someone posts a screener rip on TPB, i'm going to pirate it because i don't have any other option besides physically going to the theater.
>>
My home screen is actually better than the theater screen I'm pretty sure.

Literally no advantage to the theater except that its playing the new shit, if you could watch it at home who wouldn't?
>>
File: iwtftr.jpg (405 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
iwtftr.jpg
405 KB, 1280x1707
>>70624066
>This is year fucking zootopia is the best movie I've seen
To be fair it did have quite an attractive bunn- er message.
>>
>>70623926
I do pay and legally watch movies at home, but some movies don't come out for weeks or even months, those get pirated. Or if there is a staggered release, that's a pirating. I'm over regionalization and delayed home release, they can eat shit.

It's part of their broken industry
>>
>>70624192
Also the services I pay for don't have every release, I'm not going to pay fucking hundreds of dollars to cover all the possible release channels their broke ass industry uses when I can just pirate it and not deal with the massive tower of bullshit they try to shovel out along with their product
>>
>>70624104
So what's the problem with waiting 3 months? I honestly can't think of a movie you can't legally download from amazon or itunes in some form or fashion shortly after it's theatrical run ends. Indie movies make it insanely easy for you to do it- more and more of them are starting to try out same day or same week releases in theaters and vod.
>>
>>70622970
I bet things are gonna go right back to where it was for theaters 100 years ago: More content stuffed into every theater be showing more shorts and double features. Humanity and time is a funny thing.
>>
>>70621074
FOR FUCKS SAKE THIS ARTICLE COMES OUT EVERYTIME THERE'S BEEN A TERRIBLE RELEASE YEAR; OH LOOK WHEN A BUNCH OF SHIT MOVIES COME OUT NO ONE GOES TO THE THEATRE, GEE I WONDER WHAT THE CAUSE OF IT IS?!
The actual movie theatre model is dying though; no one wants to go out to see the non-AAA blockbuster shit anymore where being in a theatre doesn't help the experience, especially with prices and shit these days. The sooner Hollywood properly adopts to streaming for non-Avenger shit, the better off the whole industry will be.
>>
The whole concept of what a film outing is needs a kick up the ass.

Look at game of thrones, people are watching episodes together in bars. Why aren't cinemas screening game of thrones?
>>
>>70624192
>>70624320
You guys typed faster than me.
See >>70624385

Being impatient doesn't really sound like an excuse to me. It sounds like the excuse a child would make. There's amazon itunes google play vimeo youtube or some companies even let you download directly. Just because something isn't released to netflix doesn't mean you can't get it legally. You're rationalizing theft.
>>
Is this thread satire?
>>
File: download (2).jpg (15 KB, 287x176) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
15 KB, 287x176
Last good film I saw was The Witch and that's not super well known.

Cinema tickets are stupendously expensive too, I had to pay £9.80 to see the new Xmen, son what the fucks up with that?

The only time I go to cinemas now really is to small local ones for indie and experimental art films and shorts. It's far more enjoyable, and while some of them can be a bit rubbish (since students make a lot of them) the spirit of film is there.
>>
>>70624502
It's literally the closest thing to serious discussion /tv/ has produced in years.
>>
>>70624490
It's not an excuse, it's a reason. Excuse implies guilt, which I haven't got an ounce of for circumventing the trash the movie industry tries to pull like delaying online or dvd release to try and pump ticket sales, any more than I would be guilty if I broke a consoles region lock.

If I want to see something and the movie industry makes it hard to see it for any reason, they're done. This isn't the 90s, I have alternatives now, they need to get with the program instead of acting confused bad hurt that we don't allow them to abuse us anymore.
>>
>>70622523
I go to weekday matinees. They never enforce it then. It's mostly just me and a bunch of senior cirltizens in the theater, so it's hardly a target rich environment. So much cheaper than hiring an escort to accompany me to the premier.
Plus mom and dad got real mad the last time I used their credit card on an escort and for popcorn for her.
>>
>>70621242
shut the fuck up.
>>
>>70621284
i still like to go to the movies anon. i'll go to the movies to watch films i think are good then download them later.although i havent downloaded or gone to the movies much maybe like 3 times this year cause movies are shit. to much comic book shit, sequels, and just plain bad movies. last time i went to the movie theater i saw 10 lane clover field and it was just horrible.
>>
>>70624602
Don't try and pull this shit like this is the Irish potato famine and England is making you give them all your crops. They're giving you the option to see the movie in the theatre. You don't like that option? Guess what? You can totally watch it at home too. You're argument is that you think the line at the grocery store is too long so you should be allowed to just walk out with out paying.
>>
File: lg.jpg (35 KB, 350x232) Image search: [Google]
lg.jpg
35 KB, 350x232
>>70621814
>>70624108
Yeah, I think people take for granted how much better TVs have gotten since the flat screen/HD revolution.

Remember that before 2004 or so, everybody had a shitty heavy 20 to 30 inch tube TV except for a handful of richfags with almost as shitty giant rear projection TVs.
>>
File: 1465268968667.jpg (37 KB, 568x311) Image search: [Google]
1465268968667.jpg
37 KB, 568x311
Hollywood want to blame piracy, like it's directly related to the death of its archaic model. Let's deconstruct the real issues

1.) Hollywood is a creative blackhole.

Studios and suits aren't interested in creating a piece of work that will be challenging and diversive. They want a product that that will burn brightly for a week or two and then disappear. They don't care about longevity.

2.) Endless sequels and reboots of IPs.

Linked to this idea of creative bankruptcy, Hollywood cannot for the life of them, create anything new. They don't want to stray from the conveyor belt 'safe' formula that is flailing. These films definitely earn bank, so it may be on the audience.

3.) Lack of diversity

I don't mean putting niggers in lead roles. I mean a lack of diverse genres, writers, directors, producers and so on. It's all the same soulless superhero shit. Of course, this is what's selling though.

cont.
>>
>>70621074
Harry potter will bring it back

I honestly think I bought less than 4 tickets last year. I usually only see a couple films though in theaters mostly bc choose only ones I really want to see instead of gambling when 90% or more is trash
>>
>>70621867
the entire Tyler Perry filmography
>>
>>70624891
Everything you're saying is the RESULT of piracy though, not the cause of it you dip.
>>
last movie I saw in theaters was Gone Girl

why the fuck would I willingly go sit around a bunch of loud minorities in a crowded theater with sticky, uncomfortable seats?
>>
>>70625001
Only if you think completely backwards.
>>
File: 1465342531090.jpg (23 KB, 258x348) Image search: [Google]
1465342531090.jpg
23 KB, 258x348
>>70624891

cont.

4.) Piracy

This isn't to say they're definitely losing money, but if we're honest, it's not helping the industry. But this is largely down to access.Of course people are always going to pirate because they can, though Gabe Newell constantly has linked piracy to lack of access.

Sadly, a lot of people don't realize that there are the archaic distribution rights that existed way before the democratized internet. Different countries and regions buy up the rights to screen films on television and streaming services. Studios and distributors are clinging on for dear life. When will they realize that this, like the cassette are bottlenecking access and harming their profits in the long term.

5.) The Audience

People clearly are more interested in seeing Captain America 25, instead of Mad Max: Fury Road (one of the best Hollywood films in years). The proof is in the pudding. People don't really see mid-to-low budget films on the big screen anymore.
>>
>>70624828
I especially liked how before LCDs, everyone's TV had the same postage stamp resolution.
>>
>>70625038
>People clearly are more interested in seeing Captain America 25, instead of Mad Max: Fury Road (one of the best Hollywood films in years). The proof is in the pudding. People don't really see mid-to-low budget films on the big screen anymore.

This has to be bait. Mad max fury road is pleb trash just like capeshit. Kill your pretentious self
>>
>>70625131
Is it because there's women?
>>
>>70621810
Well, if they didn't enforce the no crab legs policy then I wouldn't mind, but I have no choice.
>>
File: 1454839733571.png (459 KB, 607x911) Image search: [Google]
1454839733571.png
459 KB, 607x911
>>70625038
6.) Access to reviews

We have more access to reviews, we don't have to rely largely on word of mouth. Open up rottentomatoes or some other review aggregate and you'll get the concensus on whether a trip to the movies is worth it or not.

7.) Critics can make or break a movie

Big budget studio tentpoles are being absolutely savaged by critics who clearly think they are both the gatekeepers and moral police on film. It's disgusting. Especially when they give good reviews to Marvel films, Disney films and Paul Feig's faggot ass nigger shit.

>>70625131
kek, okay mate.

>>70625169
Probably triggered his neckbeard sensibilities
>>
>>70624828
My question is why do 100inch 4K tvs sell for literally 100,000 and a 50-60inch is 1-2K. Like what the fuck. I want a 100 inch tv and can't even find one
>>
>>70625038

Mad max had a budget of about $200 million son.
>>
I can sum up this trend in 2 words:

The Internet.

Why bother going to a theatre to see a film when you have endless streaming options in your own home? (Hulu, Netflix, Roku, etc.)

More importantly why spend $10-$16, per person, for 1 film, when you can watch multiple films/tv series/etc. at home at a much lower cost?

The movie industry will rapidly follow the music industry into irrelevance unless it adapts it distribution model to the new age.
>>
It's probably just the economy, yo.
>>
>>70622106

>control the vast majority of the world's wealth
>smallest spending demographic on the planet

Try again you spear-chucking jungle-nigger
>>
>>70624515

Forget about IMAX, that's the only reason to go to cinemas these days and it's a fucking arm and a leg all things considered.
>>
File: 1461976418502.png (1 MB, 1224x870) Image search: [Google]
1461976418502.png
1 MB, 1224x870
>>70625194
8.) Home theaters

We can now watch films in 4k resolution on gigantic screens or projectors in the comfort of our own homes. We can pause, stop and rewind whenever we want.

9.) The theater experience

Loud mouthbreathers playing with candy wrappers. Kids playing with their phones. I had some piece of shit beatbox during a film. It's awful. Seats are gross

10.) Pricing

Ticket prices are exorbitant now. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but New Zealand tickets are ~$25 adult in some places. It's fucking filth. Especially when I know that I might be getting ripped off. Concessions are equally expensive.

11.) streaming

Legal or not, I can pay a fraction of the price and watch it on-demand or just download it when I want. Movies aren't worth the trip out now.

>>70625231
I know. It was a Hollywood blockbuster that was its own beast, but it didn't make bank like it deserved too. Instead capeshit #444 made bank. That's what I'm saying. Audience chose capeshit.
>>
>>70625282
Smallest, not weakest. I understand how such subtleties of language would confuse someone like yourself.

Furthermore, you can't really sell more than one (set) of something to a person.
>>
File: ..jpg (14 KB, 446x299) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
14 KB, 446x299
>>70625282
>spear-chucking jungle-nigger
>>
>>70621074
god her feet are really qt
>>
>>70625198
has to do with production optimization. Even the first flatscreen televisions (that were only about 30-40 inches and shit) cost 50k back in the 90s.

In another few years 100" 4K will be the price of 70" 1080p.
>>
>>70625372
Mad max is just as generic and bland as capeshit. They chose the brand. People have shit tastes. Some actually enjoy capeshit and mad max yes its sad. But its because the masses are entertained easily
>>
>>70624066
Zootopia was fucking mediocre, I was looking forward to that movie so much and it's an uninspired story with standard animation.
>>
One obvious elephant in the room is the sheer QUANTITY of films being released. More per month than at any other time in history.

Rather than making one or two quality films, studios are squeezing out five or six pieces of shit at a time.
>>
>>70625372
I'm bored as fuck, so I'm just going to keep going

12.) Regional distributors

Smaller movies tend to have already surfaced online by the time they reach their theatrical runs in other countries. It makes it harder to make the trip.

13.) The studios treat their audiences like shit

This is more directed to studios like Sony. They don't foster any goodwill.

>>70625441
It's a battle of the biggest. I can't wait till 100" 4k is the norm. I'm a little worried about older content mastered in 1080p. I watched some 1080p stuff the other day on a 4k screen and it didn't upscale well.

>>70625479
Well, agree to disagree. I thought that was the best Hollywood film in years. In fact, I saw it literally 3 times in cinema. Never done something like that before. It's also made its mark culturally. But yeah, the audiences chose, as sad as it is.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (52 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
52 KB, 1280x720
>>70625198
The Overton window is always moving. There are 70 inch tvs in the $1500 range now, 80 inch will be there in two or three years, etc.

I also have a belief that I don't think is too delusional or science fictiony that in the near future televisions will be like wallpaper, you buy a box of so many square feet of video conductive material and then just roll it out on your wall at whatever size you'd like.
>>
File: 1464967114906.gif (2 MB, 410x311) Image search: [Google]
1464967114906.gif
2 MB, 410x311
>>70625038
>Mad Max: Fury Road (one of the best Hollywood films in years)
>>
>>70625441
What kind of tv do you have though? Because even a 100 inch 1080p hdtv can be 10, 000. So I have to settle for buying a small 4K tv?
>>
>>70621074
Theaters and public transportation keep raising the price. It costs me the same amount to go to the movies as it does for me to buy the BD online.
>>
File: 1461565075732.gif (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1461565075732.gif
3 MB, 500x281
>>70625545
>>70625523
You just reminded me.

14.) Over-saturation

The volume of studio flicks means that studios fight for release dates and windows. People can't consume the amount of shit they're putting out.

>>70625585
>MFW
>>
>>70625594
Do you consider 60 inch "small"
>>
>>70625566
70 inch 4k uhd tvs? What kind of tv you have?
>>
>>70621074
Good. Hollywood hasn't made many good things lately
>>
>>70625641
I do because its not big enough to really blow my socks off. I want a sizeable increase over my current 50 something inch
>>
>>70621144
CRABLEGS
BUTTERMYCORN
>>
>>70625650
Looking at Amazon right now, they have 70 inch 4k TVs for between $1800 (Vizio) and $2300 (Sony)

Also holy shit there's 60 inch TVs for $600
>>
>>70621074
How is this possible if many of the highest grossing films are from the last few years?
>>
>>70625733
Just remember that Sony have HDCP and Cinavia.
>>
>>70625692
>>70625641
How much is the current 60-70 inch 4K? Probably overpriced

>>70625733
Those are pretty good priced is vizio one of the most reputable brands.
>>
>>70625753

The eggs are going into fewer baskets.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 400x400
>>70625722
Sweet memes are made of these
>>
>>70625786
What is HDCP

Do 4K tvs make blurays look better for ones that dont have 4K releases yet. Or is it the same quality.
>>
>>70625614
What is this from? Vikings?

Watched 2-3 episodes and dropped it
That guy is a cutie though
>>
Maybe they should stop making chick flicks that cost 40 million dollars.
>>
>>70621284

Lol, I scroll through Kodi all night long and settle on a movie from 1983.
>>
The oldest lie in Hollywood:
We want Four-Quadrant movies...
No they don't, they want "family movies".

Hollywood is in the business of getting mom, dad, the kids and man-children. Everybody else is out of luck.

Millennials are largely single and childless. so if they are not fanboys or girls of the specific IP, there's no other hook with this content.

Deadpool was an exception because it was actually aimed towards couples. A date movie. Well whaddya know. People still like a fun sexy adult action movie.
>>
>>70625842
>Do HD tvs make DVDs look better for ones that dont have HD releases yet. Or is it the same quality.
>>
>>70625842
No. Definitely not. They have to be upscaled from 1080p to 4k (2160p). It doesn't look horrendous or anything, I doubt the average person would even notice.

HDCP is a protection which in Layman's terms, you can't watch 4k content any other way than through legal channels.

>>70625881
Sadly, these sell.

>>70625906
This right here. I'm sitting on a backlog of 400-500 films just on my main Plex server. I hardly consume anything new, unless its television.
>>
>>70625614
I predicted in 2013 that 2016 or 2017 would be the year of the crash. The only studio that's made bank this year has been Disney, and if Rogue One and Ep VIII underperform, it'll wipe out the profits from this spring/summer.

I honestly expect Rogue One to get terrible word-of-mouth, especially when normies learn more than half the film was hastily reshot, and in turn I expect that'll have a knock-on effect for Ep VIII.

TFA already showed us that god can bleed. Regardless of how Disney have tried to spin it, the amount they sunk into promoting that film was meant to give them the world's first $3 billion box office haul. Instead it finished third behind a 20-year-old movie about a boat sinking. I suspect this is why Rogue One is being micromanaged into oblivion, they didn't get the international traction or expanded female audience they needed with Kathleen and JJ forcing as much millenial pandering as they could into TFA, and now they're panicking about the returns being a downward trend from here on out.
>>
File: 1431906040722.jpg (134 KB, 433x480) Image search: [Google]
1431906040722.jpg
134 KB, 433x480
1) Studios/Theaters are competing for the attention/time of kids these days against the internet, netflix, video gaymes, etc. These kids would rather spend 10 bucks for Netflix on their phone than to experience a film at the cinema. Hollywood panics.

2) Hollywood plays it safe by making only those films that guarantees them profits, which obviously are the capeshit blockbusters and reboots. High concept ideas are favored that allow them to sell merchandise, video games, and so on. Since they take no risks, these end up being safe and dull, but as long as they sell tickets the studios are happy.

3) Piracy is indirectly killing the film industry. Piracy does NOT HURT THE BIG STUDIOS, it hurts the smaller films. In time because the smaller films do not sell any tickets studios are LESS LIKELY to fund them or take a chance optioning those scripts that they deem "unsafe". The reason why there is "no diversity" is because you retards aren't fucking paying to watch/support films.
>>
>>70625842
>High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a form of digital copy protection developed by Intel Corporation to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across connections.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no, it'll just scale up the image to said resolution, it won't be the same quality, honestly it'll look worse on the same size TV at the same viewing distance in its original resolution
>>
>>70621314
This, the market has changed. We live in a multicultural society, yet they are still casting movies like it's the 1950's. If they want people of color to start buying tickets, they are gonna have to start casting people of color.
>>
File: mike stoklasa.jpg (142 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
mike stoklasa.jpg
142 KB, 512x512
>>70621074
>be Hollywood
>make capeshit over and over
>remake movies and sequels that no one wanted
>have one good idea and beat it like a dead horse
>"why does no one want to go to the movies"
>at the same time people only go to see movies like grownups 2 then complain that every thing is like grownups 2.
lets face it movies are half dead and anything good is for specific fans groups, and anything thats good and made by Hollywood will flop cuz its not the lowest common denominator.
>>
HDCP is already broken,there are already ultra hd rips on public trackers everywhere.
>>
>>70626029
In regards to your 3rd point, small and mid projects should be looking at stream/online distribution instead of paying the ridiculous theatre distribution fees.

It's the current year, you can't expect a model aimed at a society 30 years ago to still function correctly, that'd be like building a city based on infrastructure data from 30 years ago.
>>
>>70625990
Gotcha thanks. So pretty much fuck sony.

>>70626047
Thanks. That's what I thought
Technically it would be a larger resolution but would distort the grain and stretch out the pixles
>>
>>70621244
It never ceases to surprise me how businesses think like this.

In Australia Uber is making massive headway and people are turning away from cabs because they're ridiculously overpriced, unclean and inefficient.

Their solution when less people than ever were using cabs? Raise the base fare.

Genius!
>>
>>70626099
This, also I will not pay to see a 1/3 of a movie
>>
>>70621902
but the highest grossing movies are typically cape shit

it's everything else, that isn't disney, that is failing Hollywood
>>
>>70626019
Disney has had one hell of a year. You absolutely nailed the 'god can bleed' idea. TFA was and will be the biggest film that Disney/Lucas Arts will ever release. It's all downhill from here on out.

I, for one, was at the premiere for TFA and thought it was a shamelessly gimmicky piece of shit and I will never be seeing a Star Wars film by Disney again. I suspect I'm not the only one. Plus, the transparent pandering, preaching and cashing in on hot-button social politics did me in. I don't get caught up in that whirlwind, but it was dealt with with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Let's see how Rogue One does. Disney can only bank on the Star Wars name for so long.

>>70626118
Yeah. This
>>
File: ubermap_lead_0.jpg (130 KB, 1254x730) Image search: [Google]
ubermap_lead_0.jpg
130 KB, 1254x730
>>70626203
>In Australia Uber is making massive headway and people are turning away from cabs because they're ridiculously overpriced, unclean and inefficient.

>Their solution when less people than ever were using cabs? Raise the base fare.
The answer to this dilemma is to just ban Uber.
>>
>>70626243
>Plus, the transparent pandering, preaching and cashing in on hot-button social politics did me in.

You had to give the Jews money in ticket sales to figure that out?
>>
>>70626262
Law makers should at least pretend that capitalism isn't completely corrupt
>>
>>70626292
I know. I felt dirty coming out of the film. Never again. I wanted to believe...
>>
>>70626243
I didn't enjoy tfa but I'm still going to see episode viii just for rian johnson. If he isn't able to do his own thing then the frsnchise is dead ill give it one more go
>>
File: Do as you are told goyim.jpg (41 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Do as you are told goyim.jpg
41 KB, 600x600
>>70626343

That's a good goyim...
>>
>>70626343
Also I'm not saying I expect them to let him have free reign but there's a chance. They would if they knew what was good for them and what made the ot good was empires direction
>>
File: yHtAWRPQUqK3uWHhdgX56j8NwcI.jpg (289 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
yHtAWRPQUqK3uWHhdgX56j8NwcI.jpg
289 KB, 1280x720
>>70626315
We're long past the point of no return on that.

Nothing in the United States will EVER fall into the public domain again thanks to Disney. Every form of media made after the year 1922 will always be under copyright, because Disney will always change the law to extend the copyright on "Steamboat Willie".
>>
>>70626408
kek

>>70626343
I'm done. I'll catch it when it's downloadable, but I'm not paying for shit.
>>
>>70622828
The phrasing of this tweet is confusing. Are they saying 'No texting won't happen' or ;No: texting won't happen'?
>>
>remakes no one asked for and constant capeshit
>OY VEY WHY AREN'T YOU GOYIM BUYING OUR TICKETS???? THIS IS ALL BECAUSE OF PIRACY AND NOT THE QUALITY OF OUR FLICKS
>>
>>70626408
Disney can't be stupid enough to realize what could damage star wars is repeating itself. And that letting a good writer director write and direct would be good for the franchise and make money
>>
>>70622360
Yet own the majority of the world's wealth
>>
>>70626510
Do you think they want to stray from their 'formula'? lmao.
>>
>>70621284
>pirating shit flicks

No
>>
File: 22.png (165 KB, 987x562) Image search: [Google]
22.png
165 KB, 987x562
>>70626510
Don't give Disney too much credit just because they've been doing all right so far at shoving Marvel and Pixar around.
>>
>>70626510
>what could damage star wars

You mean like the stronk womyn approach they're taking with both of the new films?

I refuse to watch any of that shit.
>>
>>70625791
4k is pretty pointless at 60-70 inch.

especially considering there's no native 4k content outside of kpop.
>>
>>70626343
Hate to break it to you, but I bet Disney already have DelToro or Jon Favreau on deck for the inevitable re-shoots for episode 8.
Rians vision is what Disney dictates and nothing more.
>>
>>70626631
4k's only current worth is for video games

nothing else is really done for 4k yet
>>
>>70622256

But Hollywood doesnt want to risk millions of dollars on indieshit.

How do you expect them to risk millions of dollars when you won't even risk $10 for a ticket?
>>
>>70626658
Del Toro for the next year or so is gonna be focused on Pacific Rim 2....although now that I say is out loud working with John might cause him to get a job at Disney
>>
>>70626577
>>70626543
I know what you're saying but kathleen and disney said from the onset they wanted to let the filmmakers control the films. I know the studio has massive influence but they directly have stated they brought johnson on board for his vision. Episode vii was a large task just in the very idea. They brought along JJ at speilbergs reccomendation. We all knew what we were getting tfa is very much JJ the problem is its somehow his worst work.theres a chance vii is all johnson. Its not a definite no.
>>
I've got a morbid curiosity about how Disney's going to struggle to NOT have a box office disaster with Black Panther.

I mean the current run of the comic is literally being written by a guy who thinks white people were created by an evil black scientist grafting together rat and pig DNA in an effort to summon Satan 8,000 years ago.
>>
>>70626658
They would never reshoot 8 mate. Not with a dif director this is the saga. For what its worth
>>
>>70626747
Kathleen is determined to feminize the films in order to reap bigger profits. Now that TFA didn't perform as they should have and the rumours of HUGE reshoots, I'm not looking forward to it.

At least I have enjoyed Felicity Jones' work that I've seen, unlike Ridley who was fucking terrible. JJ might be to blame, but the studio has final word. Don't think otherwise.
>>
File: 1370386102652.png (258 KB, 351x364) Image search: [Google]
1370386102652.png
258 KB, 351x364
>>70621074
Why is Hollywood so out of touch?

out of touch Gen X faggots who won't retire and a general slump of shit that covers just about everything right now
>>
>>70626788
It will do fine in America, the only ones who would whine about it are people who can't afford a ticket anyway. Civil War proved Black Panther is viable, nearly everyone singled Bozeman out as one of its bright spots

the real question is how will the chinks react
>>
>>70626631
Which is why I'm very stumped as to what to get since 100inch 4k is too expensive. Should I just get a normal 100inch hdtv if a 60-70 4k isn't worth it
>>
>>70621706
this tbqh
>>
File: mickeymouseFINAL.jpg (86 KB, 1029x819) Image search: [Google]
mickeymouseFINAL.jpg
86 KB, 1029x819
>>70626431
Disney being able to rewrite Federal law at their whim is one of the creepiest fucking things I've ever seen.

There's not a single politician in office from either party who denies it or objects to it. For real, every time the expiration creeps closer, the House and Senate just pass another extension unanimously.
>>
>>70626676
Does a ps4 run at 4K gaming? No it doesn't
>>
>>70626788
I would absolutely watch a movie where Black Panther went on a 10 minute rant about Yakub.
>>
>>70626029
small studios benefit from piracy more than big studios you dingus

pirates see a random ass small studio film, choose not to pay money to see it, and download it for free because then can. if they enjoyed it they might buy a ticket in the future (if they are that kind of pirate) and will probably tell other people who spend money "hey this random small movie was actually pretty good", leading to more sales
>>
>>70621074
other entertainment mediums are dipping into movie profits mainly video games, internet, streaming, and more and more expensive hobbys the gap between such spending and movie spending will slowly shrink and will eat up the larger's market share, it's just inevitable that people don't have the money for all at the same time these days and usually spend much more on one and much less on the others
>>
>>70626807
Sure but episode vii has passed. She had to do with the protagonist. Ridley is shit I agree but its possible they let johson do somethibg with the characters. People will see viii regardless.. It will make bank no matter what and it has to be somewhat dark or else lots of normal star wars fans will lose interest.

I dont love felicity or anything but shes at lesst competent.its dissapointing to hear they arent going with the directors original vision.
>>
>>70626851
Oh, its just because its bleeding edge. It has nothing to do with price:performance ratio yet, its just new therefore absurdly expensive because they know some retard will buy it for 500-1000 times what its worth because the techniques to build them are new.

shit happens with everything tech related.
>>
>>70626931
... yea, when someone says "4k" and "video games" in the same sentence, they aren't talking about consoles.

You can basically interpret any discussion of visual fidelity and video games as excluding consoles entirely.
>>
>>70627103
So what should I get a big as normal hdtv and hold off on 4k until the pricing becomes worth the purchase? What kind of TV do you have
>>
>>70626086

>"Have you applied for, or are even qualified to be a professor?"

>"Well no bu.."
>>
>>70621442
This. Lack of merch hasn't hurt the likes of Citizen Kane.
>>
>>70625585
What happened at that moment in the porn?

Did the cameraman say, "I hate niggers"?
>>
>>70627210
"She's got AIDS, bro"
>>
>>70627131
I thought so but then its not really a tv that can be communally used. Its a part of your pc.
>>
>>70626431
>>70626910
i really dont see whats wrong with this. its pretty easy to understand disneys argument and rational for wanting to keep mickey mouse copyrighted
>>
>>70627182
>>70627103
By the way, where the fuck is the 4k content?

The tech is matured, you can get a decent 4k TV pretty inexpensively now, but there just AREN'T any fucking shows or movies to watch it on.

Who dropped the ball here?

There's Breaking Bad, exactly 10 shitty Sony movies, and that's it.
>>
I sense the presence of the anon who made the BvS kino images. You're doing God's work.

Is there a way to put a system in place for when Disney and Time Warner implode? I think the future is in personal, independent content that people will sponsor with Patreon or Kickstarter. Whenever the big studios become top heavy people embrace smaller and more creative products.

If we're all really fans of what good film and television can be, what can we do? We should start getting organised. Instead of fighting about reddit and capeshit on our board let's do some good ol meme magic with the internet and change things, anons.
>>
>>70627248
you can plug an hdmi cord into a tv from your pc dude
>>
>>70627300
>i really dont see whats wrong with this.
By altering national law to protect one fucking animated short, they are also altering the law regarding EVERY other book, movie, album, etc. ever made.

What's worse is that the Disney Princess franchises have made billions of dollars by utilizing material that was already in the public domain, and that money is used to lobby to ensure NOTHING ever enters the public domain again!
>>
HOLLYWOOD CANT COMPETE WITH PEWDIEPIE AND MILLION DOLLAR EXTREME AND FILTHY FRANK

13-29 YEAR OLDS WOULD RATHER WATCH YOUTUBE, AND 30-48 YEAR OLDS WATCH NETFLIX INSTEAD OF GOING TO MOVIES

FOR THE PRICE OF ONE MOVIE IN THE THEATER YOU CAN BY A MONTH OF INTERNET AND WATCH A LOT MORE CONTENT
>>
How much is a standard ticket now?
Was about $12 CDN when I stopped going ~2010.
>>
>>70627329
I know but then the entertainment system is basically a pc.
>>
>>70626243
TFA is by far the most miserable 'event' movie I've ever seen. I had to force myself to watch it to the end. I really did try to keep an open mind and wait to the end to judge it, but I was bored to tears once the initial scene in the village ended to the credits rolling.

A joyless, soulless exercise in product-making handled by a man who clearly had no clue wha made the originals so great. A near beat-for-beat remake of A New Hope that somehow failed on every level to be entertaining.

I've also noticed I'm far from alone in despising TFA. Thanks to the huge speedup in information exchange since 1999, it's taken months, not years, for people to come around to the idea that it was shit and the critics were either shills, idiots or blinded by nostalgia.
>>
>>70627311
4K is a flop. Nobody wants to buy new TVs this soon. Plus you have to buy one the size of your fucking wall to actually notice the difference from 1080p.
>>
well i, like many others, have been waiting patiently for george clooney and matt damon to tell me what to go see.

we don't make a move until then.
>>
>>70627478
If anything at least episode vii proved how great episode vi was
>>
>>70627359
again, i really dont see whats wrong with copyrighting. youll have to go into more detail for me on how companys owning the things/ideas/concepts they created is bad

>>70627411
you can have multiple screens. your computer doesnt need to be attached to a tv 24/7 either
>>
>>70627370
Well fine then
>>
>>70627300
Because it affects all copyrights, not just the House of Mouse's.

It's the shittiest thing imaginable.
>>
Movies will never be as successful and relevant as they were so long as studios push the physical theater as their primary source of income. In an age where anything and everything can be done or acquired from home scheduling a day to travel to and return from a physical location to see a movie is looking more and more obsolete. Why would people want to go out of their way to check out Movie X that looks like a ripoff of Movie Y when Netflix and torrent sites are loaded with anything they could want for a fraction of the cost?
>>
>>70621074
It's annuduh Holocaust! Oy vey
>>
>>70627578
>companys owning the things/ideas/concepts they created is bad
When the first copyright laws were written, companies didn't own anything. People owned their ideas, and they could use the copyright to profit until their death, and there was even a few years their descendants could use it.

Walt Disney has been dead for half a century now, and his works are being exclusively held and profited by people with zero connection to him, who in fact actually hate him.

Works falling into the public domain also stops "abandonware," when the publisher ISN'T as big and all-encompassing as Disney, and therefore could disappear never to be found again - meaning no one will ever be allowed to legally reproduce the material in question and it will eventually be lost forever.
>>
>>70627537
This. The only bad thing about Jedi is the Ewoks.

Jabba's palace, the final Vader/Luke/Emperor duel and the Death Star II space battle are all as good or better than anything in Empire, and there's some really tasty character beats by Marquand too.
>>
>>70627614
I know it affects all copyrights. I just dont see how having copyrights is bad. I guess I can see how century long engineering design copyrights are bad. shit like patenting screws and whatever is stupid, but copyrighting entertainment mediums makes sense to me as long as the original business is still running
>>
>>70627578
If a company like Disney is the guiding force in most children's upbringing and they're fostering a culture of dependace then it's the same thing as Walmarts that keep employees at minimum wage, part time, and encourage them to only buy from the store where they work. It's inbred societal and cultural poison that only gets larger and larger.
>>
>>70621314
More like too much diversity. Niggers don't pay for movies, white people do. Niggers go see their "DVD man" for the newest movie they want to see.
>>
>>70627693
>as long as the original business is still running
It's not "as long as the original business is still running"

It's everything. Nothing has entered the public domain in the last 83 years.

Lawyers make fortunes scouring for heirs of forgotten works so that their clients can scoop up and retool the IP for pennies on the dollar, and there are works with no known heir or active owner that will never be allowed to be legally reproduced.
>>
>Going to the cinema is my favorite hobby
>The smell of popcorn and the comfy seats
>The cinemas near me have even halved their ticket prices this year

But there is fucking nothing to go see, super hero cgi flicks with nothing at stake since no named hero will ever die without being resurrected or remaked.
>>
>>70627757
As a DVD man I can confirm this is true
>>
A) Franchise/Universe flicks only, genre diversity keeps decreasing. Back in the Early 2000s the only "franchises" were LOTR, Pirates of the Carribbean and Spiderman. Aside from that you got new big budget films every year.

B) They keep fucking increasing the prices of tickets. Where i live, tickets used to be around €9. Now they're €15.

Overall I think Cinema has a grim future; PG-13 is set in stone for everything but indie productions. 99% reviewers are SJWs (don't even fucking argue with this) and only care about progressive plots/themes and pandering. Hollywood thinks it's job is to teach/preach "the right values" so the content is shit, look at the fucking Oscars. I wanted to fucking vomit. Shut the fuck up you reality-detached, jewish limousine liberals. I dont want to see brown people in my neighbourhood much less on tv.
>>
>>70627693
Stop and think about it for a second. The original 'creator's lifetime' was fine, but now you have people profiteering from life-saving drugs, massive engineering and tech advances, etc that will be locked behind legal copyrights for over a century - and worse, using copyright law to SUPRESS medical, technological, etc advances that would allow for more efficient cancer treatments, cheap clean energy, cheaper construction materials, etc. All because Disney want to keep their shitty mouse mascot they don't even use any more out of the public's hands
>>
File: 1464981393743.jpg (271 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
1464981393743.jpg
271 KB, 1200x1000
b-b-but hollywood joos control everything!
>>
>>70627693
I agree with you. It essentially says that all entertainment media has a time limit on how long it can really be profitable. All the legacy shit studios make money selling year after year would disappear, and then all the people who work to keep those brands alive are out of work too. Why should every major media creator slowly lose their right to make money off former products? That seems just as wrong as withholding old software or whatever the other people are talking about
>>
>>70627686
Even then to me I have no problem with the ewoks. Inherently there shouldn't be an issue with them being in a movie that kids watch. I feel like if they were wookies it wouldn't have been as purposeful. Wookies tear limb from limb they would have wrecked the imoerial forces. Ewoks go with the small vs large motif of the trilogy. Also their village was comfy as fuck and them worshipping 3po was pretty funny.

I agree jabbas palace and the climax is goat star wars marquand had some nice touches
>>
>>70622523
Hello fresh homosexual.
>>
>>70627897
>Why should every major media creator slowly lose their right to make money off former products?
If the media creator is dead why should other people have the right to continue to make money off their idea for all eternity?
>>
>>70626577
I actually really liked The Lone Ranger. Fuck everybody.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.