[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is space based sci-fi tv required to be so dark and edgy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Syfylogo.png (73 KB, 750x404) Image search: [Google]
Syfylogo.png
73 KB, 750x404
Why is space based sci-fi tv required to be so dark and edgy these days? Battlestar Galactica was a hit, but Stargate Universe tried emulating it and failed so bad it killed the genre in general for a few years. Afterwards SyFy still had their earth based scifi like Eureka and Warehouse 13 that was still lighthearted and more popular than SU ever was. Now they're finally giving it another go with Dark Matter, Killjoys, and The Expanse; and making the exact same mistakes. Why? I just want more comfy shit like Star Trek and Stargate. The've become what they once ridiculed.
https://youtu.be/Sd23slMhWQU
>>
>>70573371

you want comfy go watch reruns of Space Cases
>>
dark matter and killjoys isn't what i would call dark and edgy

the expanse is just trying to retain the spirit of the books and seems fair enough considering how most adaptations go

but i would agree that there's room for more lighthearted stuff

the biggest problem is that it's ad supported TV. sci-fi and fantasy needs to abandon ad supported TV and move to streaming services like star trek is with CBS.
>>
>>70573371
Everything is dark and edgy these days, not just sci-fi. The era of fun adventure shows is over, thanks 9/11
>>
>>70573371
Dark Matter had an episode where a robotic dickgirl prostitute who specializes in gourmet cooking and an undescribed but apparently horrifying sex act known as "dunking the cosmic donut" started a rivalry with the frumpy, desperate for approval lesbian robot they already had on board.

But then the new robot tried to murder everybody, at which point she was beheaded by the ship's resident samurai, but this wasn't enough to stop her headless corpse from attacking them again until the ship's resident 14 year old people haired goggle wearing girl genius was able to throw it out the airlock.

Is that REALLY too grimdark and serious for you?
>>
>>70573820
*purple haired goggle wearing girl genius
>>
>>70573820
Yes. It was a ridiculous plot played extremely straight, complete with a dying waifu sideplot, drama over who's fucking who, and the dim lighting done to edge it up that will never go away no matter what the plot is.
>>
>>70573524
this
>>
File: 145847905786796.jpg (561 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
145847905786796.jpg
561 KB, 1920x1080
>>70573371
The Expanse is a thriller. It's not meant to be light hearted entertainment, light hearted entertainment isn't the only thing science fiction is good for. I'm glad they're trying some relatively hard sci-fi rather than more rubber-foreheaded ayys.

Dark Matter and Killjoys are barely anymore serious than Firefly or Stargate SG-1 was. Have you even watched these shows?
>>
Helix was the most enjoyable shit ever and nobody watched it.

Under The Dome was brilliant too and cancelled too early.

Extant was leading up into a proxy war between ai and aliens.

The expanse is so boring compared to those.

Whatever happened to the joy in just exploration?
>>
>>70573820

>Worst number 1 banging the talky fembot

Only thing about that episode that I find hilarious is in their attempt to appease their non-existant sjw audience, they fell face first in the killer woman trope, so even when they try to be progressive, its hackneyed
>>
File: cpl dookie.jpg (38 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
cpl dookie.jpg
38 KB, 900x506
>>70574564
The Expanse has spess muhreens and flashy battle scenes, your opinion is invalid.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.