[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the point of this scene? Didn't this happen in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: muh freedom of assembly.jpg (82 KB, 852x359) Image search: [Google]
muh freedom of assembly.jpg
82 KB, 852x359
What was the point of this scene?

Didn't this happen in real life in America? I thought the film was supposed to be alternate history.
>>
It would have been so satisfying seing those libshit cucks get blown away.
>>
>Nixon needs fixin'

that doesn't even rhyme. fucking dumb hippies
>>
>>70563389

It was an alternate history but with the same political problems.
>>
The US mass murdered hippies? You fucking moron?
>>
>>70563440

edgy
>>
>>70563501
No room for leftists here.
>>
They didn't shoot anyone in real life. Some hippy just put flowers in the guns.
>>
>it's a teenagers on /tv/ don't know shit about history episode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings
>>
As far as I know, the beginning of the major historical differences from real life was that instead of ending US involvement in Vietnam, Nixon asked Dr. Manhattan to intervene and basically single-handedly win the war.

There were still protests, Kent State was about some aspect of the Vietnam war, I don't remember what, and the shooting would have probably pressured Nixon even more to involve Manhattan in Vietnam.
>>
File: 1457819933485.gif (2 MB, 360x265) Image search: [Google]
1457819933485.gif
2 MB, 360x265
>>70563618
>It's a Euros know more than Americlaps about their own history episode
>>
>>70563618
If that was meant to be kent state, snyder definitely would not have been subtle about it.

Considering snyder is legitimately retarded, he likely doesn't even know kent state happened.
>>
>>70563618
the OP's scene is clearly inspired by a different event, however, where nobody was killed IRL. some people were arrested though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_Power_%28photograph%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Mobilization_Committee_to_End_the_War_in_Vietnam#1967_March_on_the_Pentagon

>About 650 people, including novelist Norman Mailer, were arrested for civil disobedience on the steps of the Pentagon. A few individuals such as Allen Ginsberg, Ed Sanders, Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin (Hoffman and Rubin would co-found the Yippies later in '67) attempted by means of meditation and chanting to "levitate" the building and "exorcise the evil within."
>>
Nixon effectively became a dictator by that point in the movie and was able to execute hippie shits without any problems given that he had Manhatten on his side (and won 5 terms in office).
I wish they had gotten further into him in both the book and the movie.
>>
>>70563389
Haha you fucking idiots. This actually happened. Google if you don't believe.
>>
>>70563389
They didn't fire in real life.
>>
>>70563389

The point of this scene is that in real life:
>>70564186
They weren't shot. By transforming the iconic image of flower-power into just another Kent State style massacre, Snyder was signaling that the reactionaries won in this timeline, while the hippies were completely impotent. The movement didn't even have the lasting power of any symbolic successes. Even those moments were transformed into tragedies. Get it?
>>
>ywn ventilate a bunch of dirty hippies with your fascist bros
Those subversive communist peaceniks were the reason why we lost Vietnam
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.