[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: games that would make great tv/film https://www.youtub
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11
File: fired.jpg (77 KB, 800x488) Image search: [Google]
fired.jpg
77 KB, 800x488
ITT: games that would make great tv/film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns7fNPiNiNc
>>
File: heavy_rain.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
heavy_rain.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>70534124
wait what?
>>
>>70534124
It pretty much is a movie already. So. Agreed.
>>
File: header.jpg (21 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
21 KB, 460x215
I want there to be a proper Hitman movie after those two shitty ones.

It's the perfect comedy as this stonefaced Assassin comically disguises himself from one place to another with everyone obvious to it. Something like this cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfYRfpaBwnc
>>
Most vidya writers are hacks that abuse the medium's recent history to rip off every single work of fiction in existence
The greatest vidya story is worse than the worst pulp sci fi magazine
>>
>>70534491
>The greatest vidya story is worse than the worst pulp sci fi magazine

Are you saying Max Payne, Planescape Torment, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, System Shock 2 stories are all bad? kek'd
>>
>>70534723
Their plots are worse than the worst short story of the same subject.
Stop overrating them because you're culturally bankrupt.
>>
>>70534808
>this is what passes for trolling nowadays on /tv/
>>
File: Bioshock.jpg (61 KB, 575x300) Image search: [Google]
Bioshock.jpg
61 KB, 575x300
Directed by John Carpenter
>>
File: alan-wake-.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
alan-wake-.png
1 MB, 1440x900
>>
You now realize all of the shitty teenage opinions that dominate /tv/ are from crossposting vidya faggots from /v/
>>
>>70534896
>John Carpenter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzxKYSFlugM
>>
>>70534840
>implying I'm trying to b8
Mention anything that Max Payne, Planescape Torment, VtM and SS2 invented.
Anything at all, any plot point used by them that doesn't belong somewhere else.
Max Payne is a homage to John Woo
Planescape Torment is Dante's Inferno meets the Tibetan Book of the Dead while being based on a AD&D Black Isle campaign
Vampire the Masquerade was conceived as a tabletop pen and paper RPG
System Shock 2 is Neuromancer meets I Have No Mouth
Mention A SINGLE PLOT POINT THESE GAMES INVENTED.
A SINGLE ONE.
>>
>>70535026
why would people that enjoy a superior artform visit /tv/?
>>
>>70534457
I actually was thinking of pulling it in the opposite direction, make 47 almost into a horror villain silently stalking his prey. Black Comedy peppered throughout, but mostly it feels like a thriller.

A contract-of-the-week miniseries where all of 47's hits are somehow intertwined into a vast global conspiracy. This being sort of a globe-trotting game, most of his hits would take place in exotic and beautiful locales, high-ass production value.
>>
>>70535070
>if you don't invent something, you're shit

epic
>>
>>70534052
literally none of them
>>
>>70535176
I'm saying that vidya writers are mostly hacks that use video games' lower standards in writing to be a big fish in a small pond, prove me wrong.
>>
>>70534052
Deus Ex would make a great film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-MU5MgRV6U
>>
>>70535070
>implying a story needs to invent new plot points to be good
>>
File: bb.png (2 MB, 1422x800) Image search: [Google]
bb.png
2 MB, 1422x800
>>
>>70535308
>implying that writing a Total Recall meets Terminator script flies anywhere else but in vidya.
Video game plots are mostly derivative, why is this so hard to admit?
>>
>>70535398
Remind me again what the number 1 box office killer is atm?
Oh right, it's Warcraft. Which is both entirely original & devoid of tropes
>>
>>70535516
>the story of warcraft
>entirely original
Do vidya fans live in a fucking vacuum? There's an entire literary genre dealing with "warcraft-esque" stuff
It's called fucking high fantasy
>>
File: 1440800610847.jpg (51 KB, 735x553) Image search: [Google]
1440800610847.jpg
51 KB, 735x553
Lisa
>>
File: LOGO_HOTLINEMIAMI.png (280 KB, 582x291) Image search: [Google]
LOGO_HOTLINEMIAMI.png
280 KB, 582x291
1+2 made into one movie
>>
>>70535611
>There's an entire literary genre dealing with "warcraft-esque" stuff
It's called fucking high fantasy
True, but the concepts used in Warcraft were manufactured from scratch, hence no overlapping of tropes and concepts.

And if we are being fair, Warcraft (and WOW) not only redefined high fantasy, but made it relevant in the modern era.

>the most popular, highest selling game of all time is based on epictier lore
Gee what a shocker
>>
>>70536104
>the most popular, highest selling game of all time is based on epictier lore

gta v?
>>
>>70535708
It would be super hard to make a movie esp. based on HM2 because of all the blurred lines between what's real and what's not, a lot of characters etc (it could end up just confusing and boring like Suckerpunch). They could go into a totally another direction tho and make it a regular "begining-to-end" movie maybe with some big plot twists.
>>
>>70535033
I thought I couldn't like him more but clearly I was wrong
>>
>>70536512
>sidesteps the rest of my entirely on-point post
/v/ > /tv/
this is known & the proof is before you
>>
Not strictly vidya, but 40k is such a big setting where anything can be done. Fucking GW should try harder with promoting their IP.
>Imperial Guard and Deathwatch versus Orks and later plot tweest Chaos Space Marines war movie would be ridiculously easy to market, would offer enough character and story options and wouldn't require any prior knowledge but they could still put in references that only 40k fans will understand
>miniseries based on Gaunt's Ghosts or Eisenhorn for people with at least basic knowledge in 40k
>something like Animatrix, basically a few shorter films where only a few would require basic 40k knowledge with the finale being a 20+ minute 100% pure action scene of Imperial Guard, Space Marines and Titan Legions defending the last Imperial outpost against Tyranids in a glorious last stand
>>
>>70535070
which john woo film does monolog every 5 minute?
dante's inferno isnt about an immortal seek the reason for his immorality. and planescape is very mundane with a touch of philosophy, unlike some tibetan hippy theory about the afterlife
when was system shock 2 about some ai torturing human by making them immortal? when was it about a cyber world? it cover a fucking spaceship with 3 acting characters at most.
you seems to not know anything you talk about.
>>
>>70536104
>the concepts used in Warcraft were manufactured from scratch
blizzdrones at it again
they even said warhammer is a big inspiration due to brand recognition. overtime they add bigger shoulders, longer eyebrow and more animu plot.
it was relevant because it is an easy game to get into and american unlike the tabletop.
>>
>>70536932
The entire action was lifted from Woo movies, the monologues are a noir film trope

Dante's Inferno does deal with the otherwordly stages that the unnamed goes through, and the Bard stages are used as plot points as well.

System Shock 2 is quite literally a story about being locked up with a superior AI that instead of hating humankind simply is amused by them.
>>
Judging by the commercials they made, an Overwatch animated movie might work.
>>
File: Matthew b4 it was cool.jpg (2 KB, 105x80) Image search: [Google]
Matthew b4 it was cool.jpg
2 KB, 105x80
>>70537097
>blizzdrones
Cute adhom
Must suck being a DC/Marvelcuck having a vidyamovie be number 1 at the box office, knocking X-men the fuck off, btfo BvS's sales & quickly on route to taking out Civil War
>>
>>70537193
>a superior AI that instead of hating humankind simply is amused by them
did you play the fucking game
shodan doesnt hate nor are amused by humans. it wants to destroy humans purely out of its desire to rule. The brief period when it seems to like the player is because it want to convert him into a mindless cyborg when it finally take control. did you see what it did with the nurses?
>Dante's Inferno does deal with the otherwordly stages that the unnamed goes through, and the Bard stages are used as plot points as well.
the otherworldly stage in dante's inferno has its roots in the bible. which means it is a fucking ripoff too according to your logic. in torment, most of the "otherworldli-ness" is a part of everybody's life. Different dimensions are treated like fucking different countries, not high heaven nor deep hell.
>The entire action was lifted from Woo movies, the monologues are a noir film trope
so the abundant of humors, the 4th wall breaking, the music... are popular in those genre/works as well? do tell. You can say John Woo is shallow noir with kung fu too, doesnt make them worse.
>>
>>70538143
>Dante's Inferno is a Bible ripoff
In fact, dantian inferno is a thing in literature, he pretty much invented Christianity's boogieman

I need to play SS2 again

Max Payne is one of my favorite games of all times, it is masterfully written, but it's far from original, which is needed since the game is meta as fuck, it has Twin Peaks references and everything.
>>
>>70534124

This thread is about games becoming great TV or films. Heavy Rain is neither a game nor a good film.
>>
>>70538588
it's interactive kino
>>
Blood Bowl
>>
>>70535033
holy shit how can a man be this based
>>
>>70534896
It's sad that this was going to be a movie, but they cancelled after the budget got slashed over and over.
>>
Mass effect. It would be like a better Star wars.
>>
>>70535315
the immersion of souls/borne lies in the fact that you're within the game. You die, you suffer through it. You discover the story by picking up fragments of the old ages.

It wouldn't have any of these when it's a movie.
>>
File: CommanderKeen.png (18 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
CommanderKeen.png
18 KB, 640x400
If Angry Birds could pull it off, this surely can, right?
>>
>>70540165
Newer generations won't relate to it and most people in their 30s/40s that played it probably won't care enough to go see it.
>>
>>70540032
You can't create a Mass Effect game. Its strongest aspect is how the choices you make forms the character and the story. The plot of the movie would have to revolve around new characters and that wouldn't work, because the universe isn't that unique or interesting.
>>
>>70540251
>game
I'm dumb, meant movie obviously.
>>
>>70540226
I don't care
OP said films that would make great movies
I thought Warcraft was a pretty decent movie, and it's apparently shit on as well
>>
>>70539881
They really fucked up 2, I'm glad it's dead
>>
>>70534052
Metal Gear
/thread
>>
>>70534052
Command and Conquer
>>
>>70534052
None, as it's completely pointless to make a film out of a video game. What could a movie adaptation do that the original game couldn't? Also 99% of games have sub par stories that rely on cliches that movies/books have beaten into the ground years ago. Games are great as interactive media. Take out the interaction and you just have a gimped retelling of stories we've all heard and seen before.
>>
This series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeUYzDgs498
>>
It's hilarious when video game autists think their shitty games with paint-by-numbers plot lines and heavy reliance on tropes are deserving of being made into a film. The reason that every game adaptation has been fucking awful is because the medium is the lowest of the low.
>>
The Longest Journey / Dreamfall could make a good tv show

in general though there's no reason to adapt most videogame stories. they're either already highly derivative of better film/book properties or what makes them good only works as an interactive experience. also there's a lot of stuff like the Telltale games where it's already essentially a movie, so again what's the point.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.