[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion of the Rankin-Bass animated Hobbit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6
What's your opinion of the Rankin-Bass animated Hobbit?
>>
File: the hobbit.jpg (2 MB, 5020x3375) Image search: [Google]
the hobbit.jpg
2 MB, 5020x3375
>>70524045

its still the best Hobbit adaption out.

pure Tolkieno
>>
>>70524483
I'm glad you think so; I agree.

I spent the better part of the last 2 weeks doing an intensive research project over The Hobbit (just the book) and hadn't seen this adaptation until a couple days ago.

I can say with some authority that even if it doesn't cling to the book very strongly it succeeds in capturing the feeling, tone and atmosphere of the book,
>>
File: hob.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hob.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>70524045
The style of the hobbit and dwarf characters was lame but other than that, it was perfecto movieo
>>
>>70524795
agree
>>
File: 1460757635763.gif (985 KB, 254x160) Image search: [Google]
1460757635763.gif
985 KB, 254x160
>>70524045
I loved how the songs were used in lieu of violence. Singing together is a cooperative show of strength and all the songs are directed "at" someone.
Crack the plates/down in the valley are not explicitly warlike, but are sung by soldiers. And then there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVgGADHg60

They did a great job of adding menace to an innocent kid's film.
>>
I liked it, focused on what the book was about even though it strays in parts. The difference between this and the more recent movies is that this was more focused on telling a story about a character, while the other was more interested in creation action set pieces around noone in particular. The result is one has a heat and the other is just shit flying around on screen. Thy really dropped the ball with character development in the trilogy.

Have to say though, in the animated one I was turned off by the music, it was campy as fuck and made me laugh at the movie, but in the end it all worked.
>>
>>70524795
>if it doesn't cling to the book very strongly
Sure it does. The problem with adapting a novel is that to condense it into a screenplay you've got to cut something.
>>
>>70525530
Agreed. It's pedestrian to criticize a film adaptation of a novel based on how well it adheres to the novel itself. Better instead to evaluate the success of the adaptation on whether or not it captures the essence of the original, which I feel this movie does.
>>
>>70524045
My one criticism is that "Gandalf ex machina" has never been more stressed.
>>
File: 1400806603448.jpg (47 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1400806603448.jpg
47 KB, 720x480
>>70524045
Why didn't this guy warn them about carrying the swords in goblin territory?

The whole part with the great goblin makes it seem like the dwarves were manipulated and set up by Gandalf.
>>
Reminder that inplay2g gets paid 1k pounds per month by his followers
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.