[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did you think? Does it live up to the hype?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: the-act-of-killing.jpg (354 KB, 638x425) Image search: [Google]
the-act-of-killing.jpg
354 KB, 638x425
What did you think? Does it live up to the hype?
>>
Yeah it was pretty solid
>>
I watched the directer's cut. Anyone seen both, and, if so, what differences are there between the two?
>>
>>70501909
The difference is substantial. The Director's Cut is the true version of the film, whereas the Theatrical Cut was made especially for the theatrical release because they were worried that the full version was too impenetrable, and too bleak, for mainstream audiences. Pretty much all the stuff about the wider political situation in Indonesia is cut out, so that it revolves pretty much entirely around Anwar, Herman and Adi's scenes. It's more streamlined, sure, but I can't help but feel it leaves out vital political and cultural context to the characters' crimes.

Planning on putting together a supercut of The Act Of Killing and The Look Of Silence when I get my hands on some good editing software (cutting between the two) as an editing exercise and also 'cause I think if I can do it right it could be absolutely GOAT, not that the two separate films aren't already. Will post here if I ever do get around to doing it.
>>
>>70501822
Watched the first half like a year ago. It was great, but I felt like I pretty much got the picture and something came up so I stopped it and never had the momentum to finish it. Watched the rest a few nights ago. The ending was definitely one of the most poignant things I've seen in a documentary. You know which part I mean. Can't believe the balls of the director, and it was such a great idea to have them confront their actions by making a movie about it. Seriously fucked up though.
>>
>>70504624
The ending is probably the most powerful of any documentary ever, especially if you understand just how bleak it is from Oppenheimer's perspective. No matter how hard he tries he can't throw up. He can't exercise the demon. If he does feel regret, it's still for nothing. The ghosts of the past are there to stay. Absolutely one of the most existentially disturbing and arresting films ever made.
>>
>>70504733
Idk for sure that he was *trying* to throw up, if anything I thought he was trying to hold it back, hence the mere retching. Like it was involuntary.
>>
>Fighting Communists
>Still end up an Islamic state

What was the point?
>>
bump for discussion about a very good film instead of shitposting and memes
>>
>>70505813
*suspected Communists

and the ironic thing is they had the full support and resources of the US and the UK behind them

>that scene in The Look Of Silence about Goodyear using slave labour of ethnic Chinese from the concentration camps only 20 years after the end of WWII
fucking brutal
>>
>>70501822
>What did you think? Does it live up to the hype?
This guy answered the question pretty much-
>>70504733
>The ending is probably the most powerful of any documentary ever
Live up to the hype? Goes well above and beyond it as far as I'm concerned.

You don't expect it, that in an age of easy access to media that makes us all so bloody blasé, gore threads and all, that it could deliver something so powerfully.
>>
it's a tough movie to recommend to people cus it really is incredibly dark

the part where that one group were chuckling and reminiscing about raping little girls made me feel sick
>>
>>70506290
This, I'm a hardened veteran /b/-tard and I thought with all the gore threads and sociopathic greentexts I've seen I was totally desensitised by now. During The Look Of Silence especially, I was shaking practically the entire way through. The image of that old dude crawling around the house screaming is gonna be one of those things that keeps me up at night for the rest of my life.
>>
OP bumping 'cause this doesn't get enough love
>>
The director is a kike, will he do a movie about shitsraelis killing Gazans every year.
>>
I've had this on the shelf for a while now. You faggots have convinced me to watch it finally.
>>
>>70508626
To be honest that scene of the old man stuck out to me as something suspiciously Herzogian, like the russians traveling out to the frozen lake to listen for sea monsters. Seemed like the kind of scene he would insist they have the old man act out and Oppenheimer might now have objected for the sake of placating him.

In the 2 hour Q&A he actually singles it out as the 'ultimate symbolic statement of the film's meaning' unprompted so i'm 99% certain that's what happened lmao.
>>
>>70509677
I don't know, I'd be more inclined to believe that if Oppenheimer hadn't invested quite so much of his time and his emotions into the two films. Like, when you hear about how mind-fucking the experience was for him to film all this stuff and the fact he spent about 10 years filming for it almost constantly before he even hit the editing suite... that's a big portion of a guy's life just to settle for deceit in the name of art. He's emphasised the humanitarian aspect of his work with these films far more than the artistic aspect, which has been left more to the academics and film critics. He may have the sheer force of will of Herzog but I don't believe he's got the steely "art before everything else" personality, he's too much of an emotional effeminate fag.
>>
I can't explain good enough how much I love Herzog's and now Oppenheimer's works too. I could definitely see Herzog's style in both of Joshua's docs. Only later did I saw that Herzog was executive producer. Felt good.

For me, the second part (if we can call it like that), "The look of silence" was even harder to watch. It was amazing to watch and listen to those people, how they tried their best to deny what they did was evil, looking at the family of one of the killers going from friendly to hostile, then the daughter of that one senile old man asking for forgivness... But aside from that one, every interview with killers finished with a threat to stop filming or he will end up just like the victims.

A great piece of work. One of the greatest docs I've watched.

If anybody knows some other director of a similar style, please let me know.
>>
best documentary I've watched. Future generations will hold it up as an example of how the director transgressed the traditional role of documentarian, and how the medium of film itself was employed as a juggernaut of political change.
>>
>>70501822
yes, one of the best documentaries of all times.
>>
>>70509979
>hat's a big portion of a guy's life just to settle for deceit in the name of art.
I agree, but its one 45 second scene near the end of his denouement for the enitre project, and without Werner Herzog's financing who knows how long it would have taken him to complete, or what kind of sacrifices he might have been forced to make n lieu of fully funded post-production budget.

Also, if you listen to what fascinated Herzog about the project enough to commit himself as the executive producer its pretty much the opposite of what you pointed out Oppenheimer stands for as a documentarian. Cinematic surrealism, the poetic delerium of Anwar and his haunted memory. Herzog just does not give a fuck about reality unless it resembles the demented german metaphysics.

Regardless if that one scene is the single capitulation he had to make to keep Werner ensconced in euphoric flights of fancy about the predatory instincts of trees and time-traveling dementia powers I wouldn't consider Oppenheimer to have been 'compromised' in a meaningful way. Act of Killing/Sound of Silence are pure reality-horror.
>>
>>70509677
nah Oppenheimer's said that Adi himself filmed his father crawling around. Apparently it went on for days and he couldn't be comforted, so after a while all he could do was film his father, who would never get justice for his son's death.
>>
>>70511726
Alright Werner whatever you say.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.