[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 'the holy mountain' just memeshit for stoners or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: holy-mountain-mock-mini.jpg (1 MB, 1575x1575) Image search: [Google]
holy-mountain-mock-mini.jpg
1 MB, 1575x1575
Is 'the holy mountain' just memeshit for stoners or actually a piece of art? Or something else?
I just saw it, and can't really say.
>>
whatever it is, its not good
>>
it's cinema, and good at that
>>
Memeshit for video game players
>>
>>70482551

No, see >>70482502
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (731 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
731 KB, 2560x1440
It's a good movie if you're an actual intellectual, ie you care about history and art and you read nonfiction books
>>
>>70482466
it's good.
the only people who hate it are the ones who claim "it's bad because it's pretentious :("
>>
>>70482466
Why are his comics well written, with actual characters and a plot but his movies are just cinematic masturbation ?
>>
>>70482822
You're retarded. Post top 5 directors.
>>
>>70482822
It's shit
>>
>>70482840
>>70482869
thanks for proving me right
bye
>>
>>70482466
I feel it's terribly dated and ultimately just way too silly. I like El Topo and Santa Sangre, though.

>>70482840
His comics are incredibly creative. The Holy Mountain is crazy and all, but it's all very "square" and ungraceful.
>>
>>70482502
I am sorry you didn't get it
>>
>>70482856
>demanding a top 5 list of directors like some YouTube personality retard

Are you 12
>>
>>70482925
>you disagreeing with me means I'm right
>I shall now go so no one can dispute my claim and prove me wrong
>>
>>70483120
That's what I thought. You're a cinematic embryo and latched onto Jewdorowsky because it's the first non-capeshit movie you ever watched. Get some taste or grow the fuck up.
>>
Didn't you watch the finale scene?
>>
>>70482925
>implying the Incal isn't superior to any of his flicks
>>
>>70482466
It's tryhard art meaning it doesn't have anything novel to say so it tries to make up for the fact with shock value.
>>
File: 1464042125499.png (932 KB, 825x991) Image search: [Google]
1464042125499.png
932 KB, 825x991
>>70482774

Gurdjieff was not an intellectual. He was a hocus pocus mystic underneath no scientific basis, he also demanded money and had a very cult-like following for his charisma alone.

Some of his ideas are interesting and perhaps could be applicable as an approach on living, but a lot of it is wrapped around bullshit mysticism and conflicting theories.

On the subject of Jordowsky, he is very creative, but not a good director. Sure you could say his movies are works of art, but that doesn't mean they are good works of art.
>>
>>70482466
it rides the cultural landscape of the time to give its hippy viewers a much needed message
>>
>>70482466
'Art' exist whenever any faggot says it is. So it's shitty stoner art.
>>
>>70483887
I agree with everything you say. I'm glad /tv/ isn't entirely composed of retards. I posted the Gurdjieff pic to connect this movie to a wider/larger tradition. Holy Mountain isn't just a "stoner flick," but feel free not to think it's a great movie.
>>
File: eltopo.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
eltopo.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
It is a good movie, in my opinion. It's very artsy and knows how to not take itself so seriously. But the directing isn't stellar, even though the color and set design is great in it's own artificial and weird way.

I like it very much, but totally understand why somebody would think it's badly directed or even just bad in general.
>>
>>70485540
artsy is such an awful word
>>
>>70482466
it's really fucking good
>>
>>70482466
>twn be a vhs documentary of Sleep recording Holy Mountain and Dopesmoker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4cxaVEqZsE
>>
>>70482466
There is clear intention and meaning to the movie, if that's what you're asking.
>>
>>70485761
Sorry: Arty.
>>
All his films tackle philosophical questions and give you a broad spectrum of feelings. It's not a traditional story and it breaks free from the formula, which is a turn off to casual filmgoers.
>>
I liked The Holy Mountain but it was kind of off putting that Jodorowsky made himself the powerful all knowing alchemist guy. This dude has a massive ego which kind of detracts from the point of the film. Not to mention he killed a bunch of animals
>>
Here's baby's first Holy Mountain primer for people who don't understand the imagery.

The film is really blasphemous BTW, if you're a Christian.

The "Alchemist" is actually supposed to be John the Baptist. Jodorowsky is a follower of Mandaen beliefs that sate John the Baptist was the 'true" Christ.

He repeats this belief openly in his comic "Mad Woman of the Sacred Heart."

The "Thief" is actually supposed to be Jesus Christ. According to Mandaens he allegedly "stole" the secret teachings and the title of Christ from John the Baptist.

The Mandaens, followers of JTB, actually have a book, their own bible, called the book of John The Baptist. It includes various conversations between Jesus and John. Ironically Jesus comes off as being the better character, despite the intentions of the author

The film is basically a mix between Mandaen beliefs, astrology, alchemy, and comments on colonialism in South America.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.