[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JUST
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Screenshot_2016-06-03-15-32-12.png (161 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-03-15-32-12.png
161 KB, 480x800
>As 20th Century Fox’sX-Men: Apocalypsestormed theaters over the long weekend, critics took aim at billboards featuring Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse choking Jennifer Lawrence’s Mystique.

>Among them was Rose McGowan, who elaborated on a May 25 Facebook post toTHR: "There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film. There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and frankly, stupid. The geniuses behind this, and I use that term lightly, need to to take a long hard look at the mirror and see how they are contributing to society. Imagine if it were a black man being strangled by a white man, or a gay male being strangled by a hetero? The outcry would be enormous. So let’s right this wrong. 20th Century Fox, since you can’t manage to put any women directors on your slate for the next two years, how about you at least replace your ad?"

>She continued: "I’ll close with a text my friend sent, a conversation with his daughter. It follows: ‘My daughter and I were just having a deep discussion on the brutality of that hideous X-Men poster yesterday. Her words: 'Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?' This from a 9-year-old.If she can see it, why can’t Fox?"

>In a statement toThe Hollywood Reporter, Fox apologized for the billboard: "In our enthusiasm to show the villainy of the character Apocalypse we didn’t immediately recognize the upsetting connotation of this image in print form. Once we realized how insensitive it was, we quickly took steps to remove those materials. We apologize for our actions and would never condone violence against women."
>>
>>70397521

>The image has met with criticism on the East Coast as well. New York blogger EV Grieveposted a photoof the poster above a subway station in the city at First Avenue and 14th Street that had been covered with eight pieces of paper that connected to say, "This violence in my kid's face is not okay."

>"I do see it as problematic," says JenniferMcCleary-Sills, director of gender violence and rights for the International Center for Research on Women, a global research institute that seeks to empower women, advance gender equality and fight poverty in the developing world. "I understand that some might not see it as an issue because it is a film about violence … with male and female characters who are warriors and fighting each other as equals."

>She continued that even though the image depicts a fictitious scene in a fantasy film and features characters who are "mutants," it can still have an affect on anyone who sees it.

>"Here's the thing: Where do we draw the line?" she asks. "They morph into humans and most of their interactions are similar to what humans would have while as mutants. … The fantasy life can involve violence against women, and that shows how normalized it is. The argument that it shouldn't be offensive because they are mutants doesn't hold any water, … and what really is the challenge here is the intentionality of it. You could have chosen any from the thousands of images, but you chose this one. Whose attention did you want to get and to what end?"

>She adds that the "striking image" of Apocalypse choking Mystique is a reminder of how violence against women is used as a default and "seen as sexy for all the wrong reasons."

>"There are no silver bullets," McCleary-Sillsadds. "I'm glad that a bit of a stink has been raised about this and that people are being provoked to think about why this image isn't OK and why [the studio] could've done better."
>>
>>70397521
>>70397584

>Devin Faraci, editor-in-chief of the blogBirth.Movies.Deathagrees, calling the billboard "tone deaf as hell."

>"Images of violence against women are pretty common in the X-Men universe, which is a pretty violent universe. The problem is taking this one image out of context and having it be an image that is not fantastical in nature. Setting aside that Apocalypse and Mystique look like Smurfs, it's just an image of a big guy choking out a smaller woman. I have wracked my brains trying to come up with an example of a marketing image like this featuring two men, and I've come up empty," he tellsTHR.

>Should the studio have picked another image? Writer and editor Jay Edidin, an X-Men expert who is one half of the podcast “Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men," says "unquestionably."

>"It's gratuitous, it's offensive in completely useless ways. Offensive isn't always necessarily bad, but this is offensive in ways that serve absolutely no purpose, and while it does depict a scene from the actual film, it's also a terrible representation of the movie as a whole," Edidin notes.

Are you fucking kidding me? I'm against misogyny and shit, but come on..
>>
File: 1.jpg (72 KB, 768x433) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
72 KB, 768x433
el em ay oh
>crying misogyny over this goofy capeshit still
>>
Didn't she also say it's misogynistic to be a gay man?
>>
These fucking people are making it harder and harder to identify with the left. Every day they're coming up with even dumber shit to say that I then have to somehow rationalize to all my retard conservacuck friends.
>>
I'll tell you what's really offensive, how fucking fat she's got it offends my eyes
>>
>>70397521
>'Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?'
Because he's a fucking bad guy?
And what 9 year old talks like that?

also:
>>70397584
>She continued that even though the image depicts a fictitious scene in a fantasy film and features characters who are "mutants," it can still have an affect on anyone who sees it.
>can still have an affect
>affect
>>
>>70397521
>Her words: 'Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?'
That literally didn't happen.
>>
>>70397521
>no context
NO CONTEXT
ITS A FUCKING SUPERVILLAIN AND SUPERHERO
YOU CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT THE FUCKING COSTUMES
>>
>>70397521
lmao
>>
File: jim-lee-superman-choking-batman.jpg (181 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
jim-lee-superman-choking-batman.jpg
181 KB, 1280x1024
>>70397679
>I have wracked my brains trying to come up with an example of a marketing image like this featuring two men, and I've come up empty,
This is literally one of the most famous covers in comic book history.
>>
>>70397679
>Devin Faracci
kek
>>
"""""equality"""""
>>
>Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?

Never happened. These retards could at least try to make up believable conversations.

Filthy skanks like Rose McGowan regularly become loud mouth SJWs when their looks wither away. It's sad.
>>
If he was choking Wolverine or some shit she wouldn't have a problem with it

Fucking Dyke
>>
>>70397679
>wracked my brains trying to come up with an example of a marketing image like this featuring two men
There's probably even more if i cared to look harder
>>
>>70398379
I dunno, she's probably filling that girls head with the idea that girls are getting a raw deal and like any child she then behaves in a way which she knows would garner approval from her parents. Thus becoming hyper-vigilant at any perceived mistreatment of women.

You're right about it being sour grapes though. Like her pretending in hind-sight that she's ashamed that she had to use sex appeal to appeal to an audience; whilst being known for showing up to red carpet events practically naked.
>>
File: 1454715730874.jpg (32 KB, 447x456) Image search: [Google]
1454715730874.jpg
32 KB, 447x456
>"Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?" This from a 9-year-old.
>>
>>70398261

The fuck...
>>
>Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?
First off a child wouldn't use the phrase "violence against a woman".
Second just say. "He's a bad guy. "
>>
""""""""Feminism""""""""
>>
>hurt women
BAD MEN
>don't hurt women
BAD MEN
Who cares?
>>
>>70397521
>Her words: 'Dad, why is that monster man committing violence against a woman?'

Dude are they seriously trying to get us to believe this happened? Because I'm cringing HARD
>>
What 9 year old girl says commiting violence against a woman. They would say why is that mister hurting that lady, I should know I create many greentext cunny threads
>>
>We need more strong female characters fighting and kicking ass! You go girl!

>Whoa is that violence against women, that's not okay, are you a sexist or something?
>>
>billboard shows bad guy doing bad things
>people are triggered

Wut
>>
>>70399027
Seriously.
>women should be able to be protagonists who kick ass and headline movies
>Violence towards women should not be shown in any way especially not from a man

The only upside to this is that it may convince Marvel to use Moonstone as the villain in Captain Marvel if they weren't already planning that.
>>
>>70397521
Why is Rose McGowan considered to still be relevant? Like, what was the last high profile thing she was in?
>>
>>70397521
JUST
>>
>>70397521
>why is that monster man committing violence against a woman
Sorry, but saying monster man doesn't make it look like a 9 year old actually said it.
>>
>>70399400

Planet Terror, a decade ago. This shit is just a flailing attempt to remind people she still exists.
>>
Rabid feminist liberals are beconing as insans as conservatards like One Million Moms.
>>
>>70397521
I know jlaw is a huge bitch herself but did she even say anything about the billboard or is just mainly other people complaning about this stupid crap?
>>
>hurr put more women in movies
>put they should be invincible, you cant hurt them :))))))))))))
>>
>>70399674
other people, jlaw isn't stupid enough to sink this low yet.
>>
>>70398261
This has to be a troll
>>
>Dad why is that monster man physically abusing that woman on that poster we just saw when we were doing 50 on the highway a couple of shakes ago?

t. 9 year old
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.