[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: The-Walking-Dead-4.jpg (299 KB, 940x545) Image search: [Google]
The-Walking-Dead-4.jpg
299 KB, 940x545
What went wrong?
>>
HBO passed on it.
>>
They tried to make every episode a cliffhanger episode.
>>
>>70367993

Darabont left.
>>
it was greenlit
>>
>>70368645
This.
>>
>>70368608

This and also being afraid to kill off characters and flesh out new ones after S2. And the fanbase sucks.
>>
>>70367993
People got infected.
>>
Coral wouldn't stay in the house
>>
>>70367993
Characters turn into complete retards to move the show forward and create tension.
>>
>>70368857
I'd say more after season 4. Hershel was the last character they had the balls to kill off. Despite all the bloodshed in season 5, no one we loved died, and there wasn't a single death from the core group in season 6. Also the season 6 finale was the biggest waste of time in television history. They completely ruined what should've been the great scene in the show.

tl;dr
Scott Gimple isn't a great showrunner
>>
Boring, zero plot that meanders and is reliant on cliffhangers, cookie cutter characters all with the same stale moral dilemmas, no creativity or direction. I started watching midway season 1, dropped at season 5
>>
>>70369419
what would you consider a good show?
>>
AMC decided even though it's their biggest money maker they'd cut costs on it as much as possible and it shows.

There's also terrible pacing, too much "look at how characters are emotionally affected by fucking nothing" and they couldn't do a buildup and climax if their fucking lives depended on it.

But hey, it could be worse
>enter Fear The Walking Dead
>witness the beginning... TIMESKIP!!!
>>
>>70367993
The main characters (Rick, CORAL, Glenn, etc) aren't in danger anymore.

I will say I loved the season six finale until the end.
>>
>>70369460
I'm not watching anything currently but the last show I thoroughly enjoyed was Fargo
>>
It drags.
They have no real plan besides following Rick.
>>
>>70369516
Let's drive this way, hmmmm
let's drive here, oh, same shit
I wonder what'll happen if we drive over here, well
surely over here shud be fine, oh golly
*shit cliffhanger*

u wot m8
>>
>>70369498
>AMC decided even though it's their biggest money maker they'd cut costs on it as much as possible and it shows
I think a lot of the time this generalization is made people are thinking too much about setting and local and not enough about the effects and, even larger, the salaries of the cast.

Most of the actors do a damn good job and they have to pay them that way, especially now that it's so popular. That may take some money from big expensive sets but itt is a character driven show in the end and if the characters can't act, fuck it.
>>
>>70367993
>What went wrong?
Your father didn't pull out in time.
>>
>>70367993
Someone thought it was a good idea to write comics about a zombie apocalypse
>>
>>70369498
It's a shame that they have such low funding for FEAR. I enjoy that story ark much better than what the original has turned into. That season 2 finale skipping around annoyed the fuck out of me. that could have been 3-4 episodes.
>>
>>70369661
I honestly wanted to see more shit go down as society collapsed.
>>
>>70369661
Dropped it after episode 3, that show is straight up retarded
>>
it had more than 1 episode
>>
>decreased budget when most of the cast already did it for far less than their worth
>fired the director who managed to sign those people on for less money than they deserve
>more than doubled the runtime for each season despite decreasing the budget
>throwing out good plotlines for the sake of being different.
>the entire farm plotline of season 2
>the fakeout battle between governor and the prison
>used a cliffhanger for one of the most pivotal moments in the series for the sake of increased buzzfeed, despite such a move only pissing everyone off and causing the immediate effect of the action to dissolve by the time we ever get the conclusion to it.

just to name a few. there's MANY more
>>
>>70369132
lori was too busy juggling fucking shane and her husband to ever watch him.
>>
>>70369187
this
>>
>low budget 6 episode season 1 because they had zero faith in the show
>double the order for season 2 because it did really well in the ratings but despite that but demand an even lower budget per episode with unrealistic demands like a certain % of scenes needing to be indoors to save money
>aforementioned executive meddling ended up chasing the first showrunner (Frank Darabont) away and a new one (Glen Mazzara) took over mid-season 2 I think it was
>season 2 onward became a revolving door of directors and writers, IIRC much less homogeneity than other successful shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones which had showrunners that had more oversight in every step of production; the writing, pacing and nuanced character development suffers
>season 3 was shit and some of the cast leaked that the finale had a lot of scenes cut that would've made it way different (Rick's group used booby traps and guerrilla warfare in the prison's tombs to kill a shitton of invading Woodbury people rather than the Governor killing them on the highway, if I remember right there's minor discrepancies with extras because of reshoots), probably because they already knew that the second showrunner (Glen Mazzara) was leaving and that the third showrunner (Scott Gimple) might have different ideas for the Governor
>no one of importance in Rick's group got killed in the prison assault, plot armor protects the main cast and deflects death upon show-original OCs, so the cast is too padded out right before a season of exposition innawoods
>show became too conscious of the concept of "mid-season finales" and introduces stupid people doing stupid things like Andrea and stupid stuff like the search for Sophia and hospital as filler because the main story arcs just can't fill out the way-too-long seasons
>big name advertisers are sensitive to objectionable content so The Walking Dead can't get away with stuff like the word 'fuck' that even other AMC shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Preacher can
>>
>>70370356
I ran out of characters and I'm probably forgetting some other stuff but man, as much as I like this show there's just so much working against it.
>>
>>70369498
>>witness the beginning... TIMESKIP!!!
Holy shit I hated that so much. I wanted to see the outbreak happening. All we got was, Oh shit it's happening and then skip to already kinda safe at an army setup camp. I wanted to watch it progress, but nope.

Also the characters are so boring. Nick is cool though and homo Strand.
>>
>>70370356
>>70370376
Oh yeah I forgot, a couple character deaths were because of behind-the-scenes drama. Dale wanted to leave because he was friends with Frank Darabont, I believe the same was true of the black lady that stayed behind in the CDC explosion (ultimately being a pointless character). Andrea's actress was too but stuck around, but she got death threats because her character shot Daryl and almost killed him. I don't know whether that made her leave the show, but she said in an interview that the original script for the season 3 finale had her taking over Woodbury. Also, Sophia's actress left the show because her parents made her.
>>
They don't want to pull a Game of Thrones and get ahead of the source material and because the first two seasons went relatively quick they've had to slow down a lot. So you get shit like the last season where they covered very little.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.