[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well this was unexpected. Although personally I didn't like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
Well this was unexpected. Although personally I didn't like the first one.
>>
>>70362101
Holy fuck, this is like the first time in decades that a good horror movie sequel wasn't complete shit.
>>
>>70362135
I'm trying to think of a movie to counter your statement but I'm lost
>>
James Wan is a god. can't wait for aquaman movie
>>
>>70362189
The dawn of AquaHorrorKino
>>
fuck I can't wait for this now, loved the first one. James Wan is gonna make a masterpiece one day
>>
>>70362135
Scream 2 and Aliens come to mind.
Anything else?
>>
>>70362243
Aliens doesn't count.
>>
>>70362101
the first was one was CF as well
>>
>>70362243

Maniac Cop 2
>>
>>70362101
What? The first one was terrible, by the numbers Hollywood horror. I'll be genuinely and pleasantly surprised if this is really above production line tripe like Insidious
>>
>>70362135
I really liked the Scream sequels, although 3 wasn't great.
>>
File: h_two_ver2.jpg (72 KB, 511x755) Image search: [Google]
h_two_ver2.jpg
72 KB, 511x755
>>70362243
>>
>>70362280

The first one was a genuinely good horror movie. It was a purposefully cliched throwback to the horrors of decades past. Slow to build, explosive towards the end, great craftsmenship for a horror, perfect pacing. It's an incredible movie.
>>
>>70362101

>92%
>Average rating 6.7

Why would anybody use this site? Tomatometer is stupid as fuck
>>
Itt: 2016s babadook, it follows, etc.
>>
Saw an advanced screening of this, really fun movie. Lots of creative scares. Plot was a bit all over the place but it worked.
>>
Unexpected is the right word. I mean, 1st one was decent until the last 15 mins for me. But what I can say from the trailer it's the same movie- some creepy shit happens and then we need to go to the basement. Maybe it's a completely different movie
>>
>>70362338
>it was purposefully derivative and by the numbers, that makes it a masterpiece

Please expand on this, I don't see it at all.
>>
File: harold.jpg (41 KB, 1024x574) Image search: [Google]
harold.jpg
41 KB, 1024x574
>>70362314
>>
>>70362450
I never said it was a masterpiece you dunce. Name 3 horrors from the last 3 years are aren't memefilms that have better crafted atmospheres or scares than this.
>>
>>70362496
Witch, Green Room, It Follows
>>
>>70362496
Some teacher from a dutch film school made this horror flick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4alk1GqueQE

if you can understand dutch at least.
>>
>>70362608

>2 memefilms and a thriller movie

Name me 3 with MAINSTREAM APPEAL
>>
>>70362101
>Average Rating: 6.7/10
Sounds fantastic.
>>
>>70362496
>name 3 movies but not anything acclaimed because that's not fair
>>
>>70362743

Because the reason the Conjuring is so good is because it brings together film people and mainstream audiences in a way many horror films can not. It's hard to find the right balance between tasteful horror and not putting to sleep people who just want to be scared. The Conjuring does this remarkably wel
>>
>>70362656
>meme meme meme meme
The VVitch is great, fucking disgusting pleb.
>>
>6.7/10
>>
>>70362243
bait
>>
>>70362805
Give me examples of how it caters to 'film people' beyond basic references please
>>
>>70362841

I know it is, it's probably one of the greatest horrors in years. It Follows is fantastic as well. But my point is both isolated mainstream audiences, there wasn't much popular appeal at all. The Conjuring went for a more traditional approach to the genre and was able to unite people who enjoy films as an artistic medium as well as people who just watch horror movies to be scared.
>>
>>70362905

Wan puts gore and special effects in the backseat for a purely spectral haunt. the throwback style; everything rom the title card, yellow textbook lettering and the more obvious period clothing, cars and songs. The film looked and sounded great. Wan's camera work was extremely impressive, gliding through the house with smooth ease and always flipping, rotating and twisting to create some deliciously creepy scenes.

example: the scene involving the camera inverting and revolving back into place when a character looks under a bed is very awesome and one of the many cinematic standouts. In addition to having great camera work the movie also has restrained uses of CGI. I can probable count on my hand the times CGI played a big role, and for a film in 2013, that should be a huge plus. Its a haunted house film that delivers on creative and stressful scares, while capitalizing on everything that makes the genre great while feeling like a love letter rather than a ripoff or cash in.
>>
I'm kind of tired of horror movies being so self-referential recently. I don't remember when it started but it seems like so many movies are deliberately paying homage to horror tropes, or even worse, mocking them. I mean yeah I know horror movies have cliches and are kind of dumb but instead of being like "hey guys isn't this horror movie cliche pretty nonsensical" why don't you just make something new and different that's not a commentary on the horror genre and is a good standalone horror movie
>>
>>70363262

because it's remarkably hard to make something scary that

A) doesn't borrow from past films
B) hasn't already been done
C) doesn't rely on expectations that have been delivered before

I agree though, but it's just hard to do.

>there will probably never be another horror set in space

kill me
>>
>>70363262
Because that requires imagination, intelligence and effort
>>
>>70363335
>there will probably never be another horror set in space

There will, it's just not in fashion at the moment. These things are cyclical.
>>
>>70362135
How many good horror movies made this year? Seems lot of capeshit and comedy.
>>
>>70363371

it had its chance with the space trend from 2013-2015

>gravity
>interstellar
>Star Wars (kinda counts)
>the Martian
>guardians of the Galaxy

should have struck while the iron was hot
>>
>>70362135
So wait. You're literally making that statement because of the ratings on RT?

People are literally incapable of thinking for themselves anymore. It's getting worse, and it's getting scary.
>>
>>70363461

There were some, they were just shit.

Prometheus was 2012 but that's really the only notable one.
>>
>>70363643

All I want is a horror in the vein of It Follows except on a spaceship. That's all I fucking want.
>>
>>70363706
Alien scratches that itch imo
>>
>>70362280
You're stupid.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.