[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck did I just watch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: there-will-be-blood.jpg (892 KB, 1000x1426) Image search: [Google]
there-will-be-blood.jpg
892 KB, 1000x1426
Halfway through I thought ok, pretty much nothing happens, is anything significant going to happen at all? Closer to the end I realized the point of a film, basically it's about a madman who don't need no other people. Some scenes where he kills people are absurd in my opinion, what are his motives anyway? And how can he kill people and get away with it? Frankly I was expecting more, considering how much this film is praised. Did I miss something?
>>
>>70316609
Also I thought the music was out of place. It was as if something terrific was just about to happen, but nothing was happening.
>>
>>70316609
I literally just watched this and also made a thread. Apparently we both hated it
>>
You probably didn't pay enough attention. He's trying to expand his oil company, he does everything to expand his business, it's the most important thing in the world for him, even more than his son. He kills the first guy, because he claims to be his brother to get a part of his money, he discovers he is not and kills him, then he kills Paul Dano's character because he was always trying to het some part of his business, but before Plainview does it, he humiliates him as much as he can to have his big payback.
>>
>>70316609
>Did I miss something?

you missed a masterclass in acting that accurately portrays a man going insane.
>>
>>70316609
good cinematography shit movie
>>
DRAAAAAIIIIIINAGE
>>
>>70316769
>his son
>>
>>70316874
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE
I DRINK IT UP
>>
>>70316664
>>70316708
>>70316840
Wew. It's acclaimed for a reason. I'll admit it's emotionally distant, but it's a flawless movie
>>
>>70316916
When he takes a slurp from the milkshake, it sounds pretty much completely dry, like trying to suck through an empty straw with nothing but your own spit and some water from the ice cubes at the bottom you know what I'm saying?

What did he mean by this?
>>
It's a story about true, honest-to-god ambition. The kind that builds empires-- anywhere from Rockefeller to Jobs or Zuckerberg, back to the Khans-- whatever.

Lead character believes himself to be of such ability and simply wishes to dominate his industry/life's challenges, above LITERALLY all else.

Granted that he's an extreme case, if you've never felt that way about anything I can see how you wouldn't like it.
>>
>>70316791
Well I agree that acting of Daniel was great. I don't want to say it's awful movie, it's definitely not, but it's just... strange.
>>
>>70316997
I think it was to emphasise how empty the oil well was getting because he'd been DRAINING it for years
>>
>>70316840
btw I can't say it has superb cinematography, please explain
>>
>>70316908
He considers him his son (except in the ending), even though he is adopted.
>>
>>70317024
You have a point. The movie was emotionally strong anyway.
>>
>>70317097
Does that make him a cuck?
>>
File: Classic Paul Dano.jpg (51 KB, 463x509) Image search: [Google]
Classic Paul Dano.jpg
51 KB, 463x509
I thought Dano was excellent
>>
>>70316609
It's an epic character study, that's just how the genre works. You either love it or you hate it, I personally love it but I can see how it would be boring if you're a pleb.
>>
>>70316664
That was the point, it was supposed to be unsettling because Plainview's character was unsettling. He appeared somewhat normal but he always had a terrifying presence wherever he went.
>>
>>70317214
This
>>70317149
This too
>>
>>70317134
Nope, his parents were dead. He adopted him probably because he was being mercyful.
>>
>>70317149

good meme post
>>
>>70317097
He never really did though, every sentiment he expressed over his "son" was a bald faced lie to help his image. He was a greedy oil tycoon who used the kid to make him look like a caring family man, almost like a human being, but he never really cared for the boy.

Even the church scene was a big charade, though there was a dash of genuine guilt.
>>
>>70317071
well framed oil well shots mostly. captures immensity of the situation. puts you into the situation instead merely viewing it from the outside.

>>70316931
honestly the more they talked the more over acted it became
>>
>>70317149
my biggest problem with the movie is that he plays 2 different people.

It confused me at first
>>
>>70317541
I disagree. I think it's towards the end we see a flashback of him playing with the boy. And when he lays on the ground def because of the oil blast, Daniel lays with him, consoling him. None of these things were public, so it's not like they were in an attempt to save face or give the appearance that he cared. I think Daniel really did love the boy, but perhaps didn't even understand his own feelings as they were so foreign to him. This is why he was able to ditch them so quickly
>>70317662
Same here, perhaps the films one mistake
>>
>>70317760
Hmmm, that's a good point. Still I don't think he ever really considered him his son, I think at most there was basic human compassion.
>>
>>70317541
That is incorrect. Its pretty clear from their earlier interactions that Daniel had developed a bond with the boy, who had proved both useful and loyal to him. The boy got closer to Daniel than anyone, but after the accident at the well Daniel couldn't bear to see the child because of the guilt he felt. After all it was Daniels quest for wealth that set the stage for the accident. So he sent his guilt away, unable to deal with it anymore.

This fits with the overall theme of Daniele sacrificing to be number 1.
>>
>>70317827
I think your interpretation is valid, but I'd argue that Daniel's malice at the end was not his true feelings for his son shining through. I think that because Daniel cared for the boy like no one before, his perceived betrayal hurt more than anyone else's.
>>
>this much pleb
Plainview is the personification of capitalism, think about that and the things he does metaphorically and you will get the movie
>>
>>70317662
I was also confused honestly
>>
>>70317149
Classic
>>
>>70319809
I think I will watch it 2nd time. I have a feeling the film is bigger than what I thought after 1st look.
>>
>>70319809
And juxtapositioning him with Dano's preacher character representing christianity
>>
File: Daniel.jpg (442 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Daniel.jpg
442 KB, 3000x2000
I want to shave the same mustache, what do you guys think? I'm 26 yo.
>>
>>70316609
>Did I miss something?

The subtext. There are things happening in every scene, but it's hard to gather because it's not spoken.
>>
>>70316609
So sick of this meme.

>what are his motives?

you're a retard. he is greed incarnite. he cares for nothing but the power and wealth he can obtain with oil and its never enough (or at least it is when he has revenge on his enemys, is completely alone with a failing body and has more wealth than any single person can know what to do with).

I think he's perfectly sand, just not human (like a psychopath, not like an alien)
>>
File: 1387344952_Day-Lewis.jpg (35 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1387344952_Day-Lewis.jpg
35 KB, 600x400
>>70322463
do this one instead
>>
lol at people think he's the greedy one. literally all of society tries to fuck him and refuses to be fucked with.

it's about a man carving out his place in the world and succeeding in a society that is designed to serve the elites.

he is an american hero.
>>
>BASTARD IN A BASKET
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.