[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Penny Dreadful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13
Is this shit worth watching? Be honest with me famerinos
>>
File: eva27-1.jpg (662 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
eva27-1.jpg
662 KB, 1920x1200
>>70234650
its a bit slow at first but picks up. gets really fucking good later on.
watch it if you like shit like Frankenstein, satanic shit, witches, and shit like that.

or if you just prefer to see Eva Green naked.
>>
fuck you guys then, fucking cucks man
>>
New season is the shit.
>>
>>70234650
I love it.
It's a bit different, though. So it might not be for you. But if you like the Victorian England setting, christian mythology, vampires & friends, and all with a super serious and almost Shakespearian narrative. Then PD is for you.
And pretty much the entire cast is perfect for their respective roles.
>>
Yeah, I really like it. Some issues here and there, but I really like that kind of setting.
>>
File: hecate.jpg (67 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
hecate.jpg
67 KB, 640x361
>tfw no Hecate gf
>>
>>70234650
It's slow but has good atmosphere and generally some nice, true to genre moments. However, you really have to like Eva Green because they make her the focal point of the show despite being the most boring, repetitive character.
>>
>>70234650
The only thing stopping me from enjoying it is Eva Green
>>
File: elfilm.com-eva-green-194306.jpg (7 KB, 150x225) Image search: [Google]
elfilm.com-eva-green-194306.jpg
7 KB, 150x225
>>70234650
>It's a Vanessa flashback episode
>>
>>70235442
Is she still doing that thing where she freaks out and screams for like forever. Those the low points usually.
>>
>>70235579

She did last weeks episode, for like 20 seconds.

Hasn't happened any other times this season that I can recall.
>>
>>70235579
There's an entire episode of her in an asylum scrathing walls and being annyoing, so yeah.
>>
>>70235542
>it's an Ethan episode
>>
>>70235542
I love Eva Green, and think she is a great actor.
But I'm so tired of her character. She often has cool plot points, but how her entire characterization is different depending on what they need from her feels so fucking schizophrenic. And not in a good way.
At least she wasn't in this ep, and last weeks had some other cool things that I won't spoil that were explored.

But for >>70234650
IIRC the problems with the character only starts in S2, so you'll either be hooked or have dropped it by than either way. So don't let it scare you away from the show.
>>
LITERALLY every episode is written by John Logan. True auteur televisión.
>>
>>70235819

>It's a homosex season

Almost on OZ levels.
>>
The only thing keeping me interested right now is the vampires
>>
>>70235948
really?
>>
File: Eva_Green_Penny_Dreadful_S3E4.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Eva_Green_Penny_Dreadful_S3E4.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>70236162
I hate when she always looks like a smelly possessed bag of shit. And they butchered Lucifer and Dracula by making them huge cu cks
>>
Season 1 is pretty good
Season 2 is somehow slower than season 1 and feels disjointed
>>
I get a bad feeling from this show, like it's all building to a final episode where the big reveal is "No, Vanessa, the demons is you. It was you all along. Too much reading penny dreadfuls and repressed sexuality due to religion and Victorian society. Now time for your lobotomy."
>>
>>70236428
>Dracula is op alpha
>Satan is a cowering bitch
dropped it there
>>
>It's a penny dreadful thread with no eva-gets-humped-by-satan webm
>>
Looking forward to seeing Pajeet turning into Mr Hyde
>>
>>70236714
>Looking forward to seeing Pajeet turning into Mr Hyde

I hope this doesn't entail non-designtaed streets
>>
>>70236605
because dracula is on his home turf
>>
>>70236781

Dr Poo-in-loo and Mr Poo-on-street
>>
Season 1 is okay until it actually gets into its main plot, with goofy looking vampires and fight scene choreography that looks straight out of Buffy.

Season 2 is boring as fuck until the climax where Penny Dreadful yells at a puppet which I found to be the most unintentionally hilarious scene of the year.
>>
Who's the witchfu following Ethan around? She's adorable.
>>
>>70237104
are you serious? she's the last of the witches from season 2.
>>
File: sarah-greene.jpg (55 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
sarah-greene.jpg
55 KB, 683x1024
>>70237104

Shes the qtp2t witch from last season (that didn't die).
>>
>>70237401
>ywn be a creature of the night that embraces the darkness and rules the world with this qt at your side

why even live
>>
>>70237401
Hnnnng
>>
>>70234650
I was disappointed. Like most shows on movie channels, there's a lot of sex thrown in for now good reason.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing tits and all. It's just too frequent to take seriously and completely takes me out of it.
>>
>>70234650
if he was balding that promotional poster would look like it was a comedy or just bad altogether
>>
What's the America's role? Like, we got vampires and demons and shit, and what, he's just a dude? Is he at least important? Only seen one episode.
>>
>>70238002
>What's the America's role?

eating burgers, clapping, being fat
>>
>>70238002
he's a werewolf
>>
>>70237887
*no good reason

Fuck me.
>>
>>70234650
its very good senpai
>>
>>70234650
Two entire seasons to reveal that the obvious werewolf is a werewolf.
>>
mother fucking Brian Cox out of nowhere
>>
It's a very bad series. The actors are a hit-and-miss, Dr Frankenstein, Emo Frankenstein and Tuberculose Whore are the shittiest of shits.

The plot is slow too.
>>
>>70238153
they revealed it in s1 finale after heavily implying it the whole time
>>
>>70238092
Dammit that kinda sucks. Was kinda hoping he'd be the straight man character.
>>
>it's a Frankenstein's monster kills a guest star mid sentence episode
>>
>>70238297

Sir Malcolm is the straight mans character.
>>
>>70235899
When? You mean the one instance Ethan fucks dorian? Because that was once.
>>
>>70238297
that's this guy
>>
>>70235542
>It's a Caliban episode
>>
File: eva green.webm (3 MB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
eva green.webm
3 MB, 1080x1080
watching the show because my waifu is in it.
>>
Josh Harnett still gets work?
>>
>it's the show has split itself into 4 mini shows and boardwalk empire-ed itself season

please stop this
>>
>>70238516
How is he so fat when all he eats is oranges?!
>>
>>70234650
If you have enjoyed the classic monster stories, yes. Just give it time, it's takes a few episodes to get going.
>>
File: penny dreadful zoom.webm (928 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
penny dreadful zoom.webm
928 KB, 1280x720
>no Eva at all this episode

still preddy gud tho
>>
File: penny_dreadful_304.jpg (1 MB, 3600x2400) Image search: [Google]
penny_dreadful_304.jpg
1 MB, 3600x2400
>>70238842
Oh, shit, I was about to watch it. I hope Dorian and his dead whore dont appear.
>>
>>70237401
I have a feeling that she'll die this season. Killed by either Malcolm or Ethan's Father.

It's a shame that they went with her being completely evil, would've been much more interesting to see her have doubts about serving Lucifer.
>>
>>70234650
Absolutely not. But I do anyways because there's nothing else really. It'll disappoint you
>>
>>70235579
Those are my favorite parts. My very favorite.
>>
>>70238297
So did Dorian Gray fuck Ethan?
>>
Most underrated show currently airing besides The Leftovers.
>>
>>70238297
>straight
>>
>>70235131
i like all of those things
>>
>>70234650
I mostly watch it for the atmosphere and cinematography. The set design and shots are very unlike anything else you see on TV, some sequences are just breathtakingly beautiful. The acting is good for the most part as well, even though often a little inconsistent, but that's due to writing I guess (even though the writing is good, it just feels like sometimes it loses the characters a little bit). The plot itself is entertaining enough, though sometimes it gets a little ridiculous and over the top. It's often hard to take seriously, but I guess that is part of the weird game the series plays with clichés.

Overall: Go for it, it's kind of specific though. Not everybody will like it.
>>
>tfw they're totally going to kill the qt witch
I hope she starts to lean into the light side or else she's dead
>>
>>70240226
her days are numbered, I would say 6 days
>>
File: penny_dreadful_eva_green.jpg (75 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
penny_dreadful_eva_green.jpg
75 KB, 600x400
This is the only show in which I wish they extended the number of seasons. I wish it will have another one at least.
>>
>>70238253
Frankenstein was great in the first season, did they ruin him in the second by focusing all on Brona?
>>
File: mercy.jpg (262 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
mercy.jpg
262 KB, 1600x1066
How is it compared to Salem?
Just finished Salem S01&2 and really loved it, was quite surprised by how good it was, especially the writing. Although it was quite depressing as well considering literally every character gets fucked hard.
Is there a lot of supernatural stuff? Demons, angels, witches and monsters? Are the main characters bearable instead of insufferable goody two shoes cunts?
>>
>>70240581
Did they really wear stuff like this at that time? There's times the fashion looks really current desu. Not that it matters much.
>>
>>70241926

Not till the last few episodes.

This season is a complete blubbering beta who is obsessed with his undead irish hooker waifu. His character has been butchered.
>>
>>70239175

Well, she said she had no choice in the matter and was forced by her mother. Maybe she will. Her and Ethan will ride off into the sunset and live happy little lives on a ranch somewhere. Then the show can go back to being about London and actual Penny Dreadful stuff and not American Indian folklore.
>>
>>70237401

Why are the Irish so hit or miss? Sometimes they look like Celtic Goddesses and other times they look like rotted potatoes.
>>
>>70242729
the show takes place in 1892, while the clothes look fashionable remember at the time they were new. Fresh digs but their all just wool and cotton blends.

You are just used to seeing older clothes all dingy and dirty.
>>
>>70242788
>His character has been butchered.

I figured it was a bad sign when they made him go from asexual to suddenly being sexually attracted to Billie Piper
>>
>>70243155
He's getting slightly back on the tracks as a buddy comedy with Jekyll. The endgame for that is still a mystery for me though. I'm assuming Jekyll is gonna Hyde eventually and probably kill or get killed.

This show has such amazing production values, its a marvel they keep it up considering so few people watch it.
>>
>>70243483
>This show has such amazing production values, its a marvel they keep it up considering so few people watch it.

traditional ratings are pretty meaningless now since you have lots of people who just buy the the blurays, watch it on showtime anytime, and itunes. then you have other things like amazon and netflix in bidding wars to buy streaming rights to your show too. we dont see the numbers of any of those ways, but obviously people are watching it somewhere otherwise they wouldn't keep making it as well giving the show more cgi and effects.
>>
>>70243483
>This show has such amazing production values

Better than GOT desu
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.