[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was there a massive outcry when this came out? Could it happen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
Was there a massive outcry when this came out?

Could it happen today as painlessly as it did in 2003?
>>
>>70225335
No, because a lot of people would be fine with cuddly, affable Morgan Freeman as God.

Now if they'd made God a woman, then you'd see the shit fly.
>>
File: Dogma-1999.jpg (51 KB, 650x365) Image search: [Google]
Dogma-1999.jpg
51 KB, 650x365
>>70225453
Oh
>>
>>70225453
no one protested Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back
>>
>>70225335
it's supposed to be a comedy
>>
>>70225497
>"She's not REALLY a woman. She's not really...anything!"
try again
>>
>>70225570
neither was Morgan Freeman, retard. God isn't gendered.
>>
I don't think anyone hates Morgan Freeman at all
>>
>>70225335
No because it's a fucking comedy
>>
Male tumble aka /pol/ or /int/ at the time influence on /tv wasn't that big then. Nowadays male tumble gets upset over any black or woman portraying anything like the oversensitive SHE'S they are
>>
File: mrs-doubtfire.png (143 KB, 492x299) Image search: [Google]
mrs-doubtfire.png
143 KB, 492x299
>>70225335
I don't know, could Mrs. Doubtfire happen today as painlessly as it did in 1993?
>>
File: 535436534646.jpg (25 KB, 570x300) Image search: [Google]
535436534646.jpg
25 KB, 570x300
>>70225335
I thought that scene where Morgan Freeman starts demanding that everyone refer to him as "THE ALMIGHTY NIGGER" and screaming "WE WUZ KINGS" was a bit much

I get that it was a different time when this was made but its supposed to be a comedy for christ sakes
>>
>>70226003
uhh, you do know there are 9 Medea films, right?
>>
>>70225453
We've been putting up with the snarky "god is a woman" shit for a while, I doubt it.
Also saying it has to do with Morgan Freeman being non-threatening is giving credence to race baiters and no one else. Nobody cared because Freeman is a charasmatic, succinct and suave personality; if it were someone with an urban demeanor, a nigger, people would take it as a statement that pavement apes are the toast of life, and reject it. Also there was no enormous push to get one third of actors on screen to be black, rather it came to skill and script at least 50% of the time.
>>
>>70225453
>no one protested Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back
Because nobody saw it.
>>
>>70225335
>God is black
I'm sure nobody would complain today.
:^)
>>
>>70225497
Dogma got TONS of shit. It was highly controversial
>>
>>70225335
it cant happen today because jewinist have made the world a more racist place.
>>
>>70225335
Morgan Freeman God literally never brought up that he was black, and it was fine.

If they did it now with literally any black actor other than Idris Elba, you can bet your ass that every other line would be sarcastically making fun of white people trying to dance or some shit
>>
>>70226551
But he's black, so they would be called racist if they criticized it.
>>
File: rare.gif (2 MB, 800x448) Image search: [Google]
rare.gif
2 MB, 800x448
>god creates man in his image
So.. why all the colors and different faces?
>>
>>70225625
W-what?
Is it true?
Are we just a simulation?
;_;
>>
>>70225335
What gets me is people laugh at religious if they get angry about their stories being corrupted but if they make Wolverine black, you are not only allowed to make a "jihad" against the studio, its socially acceptable and encouraged.

Keep in mind that religious texts are supposed to be real and its not crazy to imagine that if God is made into a silly woman with no brain that people would get kinda pissed.

Oh shit, you mean a Ghostbuster is a chick? Death threats time! "lel religions tips fedora"
>>
>>70225335
There would be more of an outcry today because the media has worked hard to stir up race conflicts.
>>
>>70234717
Also, it would be completely different and there would be lots of references to the fact that God isn't a straight white male. And it wouldn't feel like a spontaneous decision using a good actor for the part, it would feel like an agenda with a film in front of it (because it would be). And the studio would try to stoke as much outrage as possible in order to gain publicity.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.