[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Witch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 26
File: black philip.jpg (151 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
black philip.jpg
151 KB, 612x380
How did you live deliciously on your Saturday night?

Also why was the dad kicked out of the community?
>>
>>70156478
I ate ice cream and screamed
>>
>>70156478
ran out to an art show with some friends, came back and shitposted
>>
I haven't even seen the movie and know it was prideful conceit. He thought his interpretation of the religion was better than the settlements, and they kicked out for being an elitest puritan
>>
why didn't thomasin show her breasts
>>
File: don and pete.jpg (70 KB, 500x587) Image search: [Google]
don and pete.jpg
70 KB, 500x587
I had two nice beers and smoked some weed.

>used to weigh 208 lbs and I would still be good to go after a bottle of whiskey or 2 and a half liters of boxed wine
>weight 155 lbs now and get a nice buzz going off a single beer
>tfw that cost savings
>>
File: sadfrog2.jpg (3 KB, 125x121) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog2.jpg
3 KB, 125x121
>>70156575
I don't know
>>
>>70156575
>being this lusty
enjoy your bewitchment fag
>>
So the witch fucked that boy right?
>>
Is there word of a sequel yet? More movies like this one would be nice. Jump scares and gore get tiresome and old.
>>
i jerked off and ate some ribs and ice cream

thank you based satan
>>
File: ss.jpg (27 KB, 904x1444) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
27 KB, 904x1444
>>70156644
why else did he come back naked and sleepy
>>
praying for love in a lapdance and paying in naivety
>>
>>70156674
Didn't she turn into a old woman who raped him?
>>
File: witch-anya.jpg (325 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
witch-anya.jpg
325 KB, 2000x1500
>Black Phillip will never hook you up with one of his 1600s qt puritan witches
please, where can i find the book to sign my name in? ;_;
>>
>>70156674
>walk of shame
>>
>>70156581

how manlet are you
>>
>>70156478
his snout looks like the ghost from nightmare before christmas
>>
>>70156749
the irony of this whole idea though that edgy 'satanist' and atheist types don't get is that that very quality that makes Thomasin so deliciously attractive is facilitated/maintained by Christian values and traditionalism.

becoming sexually 'liberated' quickly makes a woman lose those qualities, if her sexuality isn't managed in a more responsible way, and she develops a 'wordly', jaded, slutty quality that lacks everything that makes Thomasin so desirable.

This is why traditional, 'classy' women are so much more sexy, even as they're more subtle in how they express sexiness in their self-presentation
>>
File: manlets_never_learn.jpg (77 KB, 717x960) Image search: [Google]
manlets_never_learn.jpg
77 KB, 717x960
>>70156895
Not at all. 6'2"/190cm.
>>
Watched the Thunder game with a friend at some bar and got a number from a chick with a nice rack. She had weed on her which was a plus. I'm kinda numb to shit right now so it wasn't a big deal to me really. On the train home with the rest of the drunk losers right now. NY btw.

Also the father was excommunicated because he worshiped differently. Or something. I don't know I'm drunk but basically his pride got his family killed. They all sinned somehow, the fathers pride and the son looking at his sister like that. He didn't resist at the end because he thought God sent the goat to punish him (as well as cursed his crops), but it was really the Devil fucking with them all along in the form of a goat.
>>
>>70156976

so you are a fucking twig or what? time to bulk motherfucker, you were barely even overweight before
>>
>>70156478
They never specify, something to do with his prideful nature
>>
File: patrician feel.jpg (31 KB, 312x401) Image search: [Google]
patrician feel.jpg
31 KB, 312x401
>>70157050
I basically switched from drinking 2-4 5L boxes of wine a week and watching tv to smoking weed and running while listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks.
>>
>>70156478
Settling this once and for all.

The Puritans wanted to break away from English Christianity, which was tyrannical, but otherwise liked the religion and wanted to "purify" it. The father was a Separatist, a small but vocal minority of Puritans, who not only wanted to leave England but totally overhaul the whole deal as it had become so corrupted. The Pilgrims of 1621 were Separatists, and the father was likely one of the stragglers that made it over with the first waves of Puritans in 1630 that settled in Salem/ the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Pilgrims/Separatists were looked at as holier-than-thou pricks, hence the claims of "prideful conceit." While people came over to America for religious freedom, having any sort of minor deviation from your plantation was social suicide. Being a Separatist in a Puritan plantation was not good for you.

Source: Director commentary and personal research. Screencap this and never ask again.
>>
>>70156478
I actually rewatched this movie with a friend earlier today.

I initially thought that there was some sort of subtext that Sam was Thomasin's son, because I thought I heard her refer to someone as her 'son' at the beginning, but now I realize she, when praying to god, said 'thy son', referring to God's son, Jesus. It certainly simplifies things, as I wasn't sure where that addition would have fit into the story.
>>
>>70157172

Actually thank you, good anon. You're doing a great work.
>>
>>70156749
Paint a red, upside down pentagram on your bathroom mirror. light 3 candles, shut the door, turn off the lights and look into the mirror and say "Satan thy summon thee"
>>
>>70156910
This is true. Degenerates are just tryhard and edgy imo
>>
>>70156747

Hard to say since there were multiple witches at the very end. Though the old witch took the baby and sucked the goats blood so who knows.
>>
Spent the last few days doing literally nothing except watching Roland Garros. Comfy as fuck.
>>
File: sadfrog11.jpg (20 KB, 241x228) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog11.jpg
20 KB, 241x228
>>70157329
you didn't even poop? that can't be healthy
>>
>>70157364
I only poop once a week for some reason. Probably because I mostly eat pasta and cheese.
>>
>>70157429
this nigga lives deliciously
>>
>>70156651
>The Witch 2: The Witchening
No thanks.
>>
>>70157429
You sound like my ex-gf. She only had a cup of starbucks everyday. I used to tell her she already looked fine and would actually rather she gained a little more weight and she gave me a look like I just called her fat
>>
>>70157502
But you did the opposite of that
>>
>>70157478
VVittch vs Blair Witch
>>
>>70157478
A direct sequel about Thomasin or something along those lines would be a terrible idea, but I'd like to see more literal adaptations of religious tales. I need more evil goats.
>>
>>70157155
Good for you, m8
>>
>>70157478
>>70157528
>2Witch2Sinful
>>
>>70157155
>listening to audiobooks
>patrician
>>
>>70156651
>>
>>70157528
DELETE THIS
>>
>>70156478
Pretty good Saturday. Went out and had brunch with my girlfriend, came home and watched baseball, went to my buddy's grad party, and then came home and played Smash with my roommate for an hour. Watching Charlie Countryman before bed.
>>
What was the point of the incest scenes?
>>
>>70157515
yes nigga. If ya girl says shes doing something and then tacks on the "it make you happy" she doesn't want to hear what you really think, she just wants you to say your supporting her decision, even if it makes you unhappy
>>
File: nervousfrog.png (96 KB, 241x228) Image search: [Google]
nervousfrog.png
96 KB, 241x228
>that scene where they're trying to exorcise the son
That was some intense shit lads.
>>
>>70157669
The twins in that scene kill me haha.
>>
Watched TWBB again. Saw it the first time 4 years ago, my opinion is still the same that the religious elements fall flat, DDL borders overacting in part and the end is a bit much. Other than that it's great

>>70156651
Why a sequel and not another film by the same director?
>>
>>70157612
He already made it too long in the first place. Is there any substantial reason that we needed the last 10 minutes of the film?
>>
>>70157716
I'd like to kill the twins if you know what I mean.
>>
>>70156575

she didn't show her ass either it was obviously a body double
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (44 KB, 540x352) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
44 KB, 540x352
>>70157586

>Implying you wouldn't listen to audio books of your favorite stories narrated by the smooth voices of people like pic related

With the right narrator, audio books are great. Really great. Listening to Harlan Ellison voice AM is pretty amazing.
>>
>>70156478
I got drunk all day and passed out on the couch. It's 2 am where I am and I'm basically waking up for the day even though I'll be lying here for hours and hours still.
>>
>>70157767
>ambiguous ending meme
Showing the witch in the first five minutes raises the stakes for the characters. Delivering on that promise is the only logical conclusion.
>>
>>70157172
Tons and tons of this.
Also the family coming from that Puritan community explains why the witches would want to fuck with the hem in the first place. Unbaptized babies (as they explain Sam was) are especially valuable since their souls are vulnerable, and baby fat is a key ingredient in "flying ointment" which helps them fly. They have to rub it not only on their sticks, but on their bodies, which explains that scene.
So that old witch could have also used the baby fat (which is a key ingredient in a lot of spells) to make herself young, or the hot witch could have just been another one of the 6 witches you see at the end of the film.

And to answer OP. I lived deliciously today by drinking rum, good beer, and purchasing Club crackers instead of just Ritz, purchasing ACTUAL BUTTER, and taking a hot shower, which may not seem like much, until you consider that my hot water heater had to be repaired by untrained hands. Once you've been without hot water for 2 weeks, it becomes delicious!!
>>
>>70158003
I'm not saying it should be ambiguous. I'd prefer the ending with the goat/devil. The part with her walking into the forest and floating into the air was superfluous nonsense. Her signing the contract was closure enough.
>>
>>70158121
No way man!!
If the movie had ended with her just signing the book, and fade to black it would havebeenso infuriating! At the very least it would have been anti climactic as fuck. She signs a book and then the credits roll??
Her dancing naked and floating for me was one of the best horror movie endings I can recall. The rest of the movie is all relatively believable non supernatural shit. Once Black Phillip shape shifts, we have all crossed over into the undeniable supernatural. The simple act of her floating was the perfect ending imo!
>>
I just watched it with my ex and her boyfriend. Movie was really boring, it felt like it had no substance or actual plot, just watching a family die. It was literally just watching a family die and that girl fucking the goat. I don't get why you guys are so in to this film.
>>
>>70157172
Quality post.
>>
>>70158256
t. high school dropout
>>
>>70158121
So, the last two minutes, then.

Even there, it's necessary to see that this wasn't some persuaded move on Thomasin's part. We see that she enjoys her decision, and the look on her face is one of relief, confirmation, ecstasy, and happiness. Ending with Black Phillip robs the audience of that experience, and ends on a note of, again, ambiguity that leaves the viewer thinking that she didn't *really* want to do it.
>>
>>70156900
CAN'T UNSEE
>>
>>70157624

fucking normie
>>
>>70158256
Unsubtle cuckposter a shit
>>
File: black doll for christmas.webm (908 KB, 405x720) Image search: [Google]
black doll for christmas.webm
908 KB, 405x720
>>70158117
>drinking hot water by itself
>>
>>70158117
You're not supposed to drink shower water
>>
>>70156976
All I'm seeing in that pic is that the lanklett gets hoverhanded by only one qt while the manlet gets to feel up on both.
>>
>>70158422
I TOOK A HOT SHOWER.
CANT YOU READ?
>>
>>70158500
that's bad for your skin bro
>>
>>70158422
Its the same water from your sink, its also the same water from the hose and your toliet
>>
>>70158361
>>70158422
Living deliciously does not directly relate to what you eat or drink you retarded faggots. The other anon was just saying how welcomed a hot shower is when you've had to take cold ones for 2 weeks.
>>
>>70156651
The Witcher ;)
>>
>>70158637
>he doesn't like butter
>>
>>70158287
I don't believe most audience members thought she was hypnotized or coerced in the devil scene. Her signing the contract is not ambiguous in the least. You don't need double confirmation of her life as a vviwtch.
>>
File: 1kkeeM.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1kkeeM.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>70158666
>>
>>70158666
fuck off satan come back when you get cream cheese in hell
>>
Fun...
Last night I spent an hour going through all of Anya Taylor Woods tweets.

>Loves books
>Doesn't seem to have a bf
>Doesn't seem to have many friends
>Loves music

Honestly, I'm pretty much in love now. She is my waifu.
>>
>>70157172
How was this ever questioned? It's explained plain as day, even not knowing the detailed history that he simply had philosophical differences with his church and preached what he thought was right.
>>
>>70158121
>I'm not saying it should be ambiguous. I'd prefer the ending with the goat/devil. The part with her walking into the forest and floating into the air was superfluous nonsense. Her signing the contract was closure enough.

In The Human Stain, one of the professors says he fails anyone instantly if they use the word closure.

You may be right, but you're coming at this from film school / story 101. And that shit is not art.

The ending we got had nuts and spooge. The entire film beforehand was a master class in ambiguity, and this absolutely carries on into the final scene. Not only that, it kinda doubles down on it.

To insist that the final scene has to be the reveal, the end, the 'closure' indicates an on rails, unimaginative dependence on a glancing knowledge of story. I used to make films in a local film making collective, and nearly everyone in the group fell for this Robert McKee bullshit, which was all you needed to confirm they had no talent or art in them at all, and that they were really better suited to the desk jobs they now all have.
>>
>>70157629
The son had sinned too. By sucdombing to the lust towards his sister as well as givimg the mother another reason to suspect she was bringing sin to the family.
>>
>>70157852
>Listening to Harlan Ellison voice AM

Based, based Harlan.
Where can I get these? I hate audio books but I would like to hear Harlan reading his stuff fo sho.
>>
>>70158569

Its the same water from your sink, its also the same water from the hose and your toliet

>2016
>Not having a delicious combi-boiler
>>
>>70159476

The son didn't succumb to shit.

To rationalise the fantastic is a form of autism, surely.
>>
>>70159488

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgc5PDtIii8 Here you go anon.
>>
>>70156478
>>70156493
>>70156657

I enjoyed the taste of butter, too. I ate a whole stick.
>>
>>70157548
Thanks anon. I'm finally starting to get my life back on track.
>>
>>70156478
I ate an icecream while masturbating. What do I win?
>>
>>70159621

Noooice. Listening now. Fucker is real. Thnx bro.
>>
Recommend more comfy spooky movies like this please guys
>>
>>70160549
The Wicker Man
Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Blair Witch Project
The Ring
Rosemary's Baby
Carrie
>>
>>70156478
Visited my grandmas, ate a lot of delicious food, met my cousin's babby, played with doges, drank beer.
It was a good day.
>>
>>70156478
I watched the Witch. The Dad was kicked out of the community for being retarded and talking back to the judge. Imagine living completely living outside of all known civilization and not going insane.

The Puritans were impressive because they did not lose their wits when settling wilderness as they easily could have (Heart of Darkness). That's why they relied on such a strict code.

When the characters in the movie leave the community it's inevitable that the wilderness will make them crazy. It's what wilderness does.
>>
>>70160613
is the blair witch really as spooky as people make it to be?
>>
>>70158117
Btw speaking of flying ointment. Notice how they were all flying at the end?

It's because they got the fat from the twins.
>>
>>70156478

I microwaved several scoops of Mayan chocolate ice cream until it melted, stirred it with a couple shots of Black Kraken and a single shot of fireball, then put two warm chocolate cupcakes in a bowl, poured the melted ice cream and rum over them like a sauce, then added a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.
>>
>>70161250
truly delicious, brother
>>
what happened to the baby and the twins? did they ded?
why was the old woman fucking herself with a stick?
>>
>>70161250
is this a meme?
>>
>>70161120
I'd say so, it was pretty fucking creepy watching it the first time around. It's definitely worth a watch at least once.
>>
File: muhsixgorillion.gif (823 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
muhsixgorillion.gif
823 KB, 200x200
>>70158666
BLACK PHILIPP
>>
>>70161341
>what happened to the baby

oh come the fuck on /tv/ they show what the witch does with the baby
>>
>>70161785
did she fuck the baby? it wasn't clear.
>>
File: BlackPhillip.jpg (495 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
BlackPhillip.jpg
495 KB, 1200x800
>>70161829

baa baa baa black phillip says you are retarded
>>
File: c1RBAie8.jpg (32 KB, 411x411) Image search: [Google]
c1RBAie8.jpg
32 KB, 411x411
>>70158666
Wouldst thou like the taste of trips?
>>
>>70161039
>implying they were imagining everything
That shit was real homie
>>
>>70162330
what if... new england was actually purgatory and they were dead the whole time??
>>
File: witch.jpg (3 MB, 3827x8403) Image search: [Google]
witch.jpg
3 MB, 3827x8403
>>
File: HisokaBloodlust3.jpg (46 KB, 300x293) Image search: [Google]
HisokaBloodlust3.jpg
46 KB, 300x293
>>70161899
I'd strike a deal with the devil for some trips.
>>
I saw Black Phillip at a general store in Jamestown yesterday. I told him how delicious it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a cur and bother him and ask him for recitations or anything.
He said, “Like as of now, doth thou persist?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Eh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “Baa! Baa! Baaaaa!” and mudging his horns in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen blocks of butter without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Mercy sir, have yee coin fer' it?” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the blocks and started tallying it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to tally them each individually “to ensure thy felt each a intefference,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she tallied each block and put them in a burlap sack and started to say the price, his girls kept interrupting by shrieking really loudly.
>>
>>70161878
well fuck you black philip you're a goat and you stink
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
Has anyone figured out the connection to Patrice yet?
>>
>>70162778
>778
>>
GOAT
>>
>>70156674
Totally worth it even if she had a creepy arm.
>>
>>70157248
>that incorrect archaic grammar
>>
>>70159368
You sound like a complete asshole. A self immersed dullard who wouldn't actually know the first thing about good films.
>>
File: Fucking moron.jpg (298 KB, 1764x943) Image search: [Google]
Fucking moron.jpg
298 KB, 1764x943
>>70162754
Why don't you go die? It's literally the first movie cover in the fucking search results.
>>
File: 1449713301495.jpg (15 KB, 183x232) Image search: [Google]
1449713301495.jpg
15 KB, 183x232
>>70164191
>>
>>70157612
Had the house for myself for the weekend so i've spent it with weed, music and videogames. Pretty delicious tbqhwuf
I should probably socialize a little next week
>>
>>70158287
She was a 13-14 year old girl, of course she wanted freedom from that oppressive religion

This movie is about choatic wilderness versus the oppressive will to conqour, and being that age all you want to do is break free. Probably why the devil came and murdered her whole family

But I've been wondering. Was she possessed the whole time? Was the evil stuff happening on the farm because the devil was working through her? Or was it just made to look that way to alienate her from her family?
>>
>>70161829
>wasn't clear

were your eyes not open?
>>
File: CHECKEM.jpg (188 KB, 1461x1065) Image search: [Google]
CHECKEM.jpg
188 KB, 1461x1065
Why is this being permashilled on /tv/? There's a thread literally 24/7.
>>
>>70158256
literal cuck with no taste to boot
>>
>>70166905
>why are people talking about good, recent movies
>>
>>70167424
>good
>recent
Try harder.
>>
>>70167675
>The VVitch isn't good

ayy
>>
>>70167715
you mean "aye", as in "yes". It's garbage and fails at literally any genre it tries to be.
>>
Any historyfags want to comment on the dialog? I read they consulted writings from the time period, but it seemed a little too flowery and archaic.
>>
File: TheWitchFeatured-e1455880186658.jpg (53 KB, 1200x498) Image search: [Google]
TheWitchFeatured-e1455880186658.jpg
53 KB, 1200x498
>>70156478
Is it wrong to lust after Tomasin?
Why did they give her a name that contains sin?

I only watched The VVitch last week and really enjoyed it. I wish there were more dark films set in New England.

I feel like this setting is what is at the core of many H.P. Lovecraft stories as well.

>>70157852
>>70159488
I really love the work of Harlan Ellison and even more than that when he reads it himself. Loved listening to the "Voice from the Edge" Anthologies some ten years ago or so. He reads and narrates with great fervor and enthusiasm.
>>
>>70158666
damn satan, you also on 4chin? I want some butter now...
>>
>>70166905
>complains about 24/7 threads while posting a /got/ picture
>>
File: BlackPhillipTwitter.png (1 MB, 834x978) Image search: [Google]
BlackPhillipTwitter.png
1 MB, 834x978
So Black Phillip has a twitter account
>>
>>70158121
It is similar in Rosmary's Baby; suddenly all ambiguity ends. Absolutely unnecessary for the message (the criticism of oportunism in RB and the criticism of religious conceit in TW) but definetly good for the story arc.
>>
I enjoyed the taste of butter.
>>
What does the title card say? "A New England Folktale". It's not meant to be ambiguous or complicated. Think of it like you're being told a story at bedtime or in a classroom. The movie has a very straightforward lesson.

What's the first scene in the movie? William think he's better and more pious than the village counsel, and says he's happy to be banished. This leads directly to his baby being kidnapped. He ignores this and ignores that his wife is beside herself with misery because of his actions.

The movie is mostly a catalogue of his lies and hypocrisy and how his poor example spreads to the rest of the family. He lies constantly, about the cup, about hunting, and encourages also his son to lie, even as he tells him to memorize how his soul is riven with sin. Even his baby is filled with sin, in his mind, yet the sin we witness is his constant hypocrisy.

Things spiral out of control. The children accuse each other, but only because they've learned how to lie for their own safety when convenient, and out of a sense of real danger that their parents will harm them if they're found to be consorting with the devil. They're right to turn on each other! It's only natural in a house as mad as this.

The father dies, killed by Black Phillip. Why does he accept his death? "Corruption, thou art my father".

And so Thomasine, left with nothing, turns to the only source of authority and shelter left to her: the evil present in the house. But they had every chance to turn away from evil, to scorn hypocrisy. They didn't.

So what's the moral of the story? False piety is no substitute for moral substance. Very straightforward, very unambiguous.
>>
>>70169104
t. Robert Eggers
>>
File: mother of all devil movies.jpg (36 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
mother of all devil movies.jpg
36 KB, 620x349
>>70168585
important post
>>
File: thewitch.jpg (517 KB, 1344x756) Image search: [Google]
thewitch.jpg
517 KB, 1344x756
>>70157716
HISEYESAREMYBLOODHISEYESAREMYBLOODHISEYESAREMYBLOOD

>>70158121
hell no that chanting at the end had me grinning like a fucking idiot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQLFMwR201g
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.