[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mad Max (1979)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (430 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
430 KB, 1000x1500
What does /tv/ think of this movie?

It's on Amazon Prime, and I've been wondering if I should watch it.
>>
I've only seen the first one, unfortunately, so I can't tell you about the other ones (that matter) but the first was surprisingly not as FotNS as I thought it was going to be; it's pretty much just a cop revenge story set in Australia.
>>
>>70151579
Well well, who is this big guy that just entered into my life?
>>
It's pretty good.
>>
Yes, you should watch it.
>>
Just watch the 2nd one, it's arguably the best mad max movie
>>
It's great. The pacing is a bit weird and you can tell it has a very low budget but it's solid entertainment.

The whole series is really good apart from the second half of the third one.
>>
The first one's the best, but plebs always prefer the Road Warrior.
>>
Definitely worth a watch. Personally, I really like it. Just keep in mind that it's low budget and has a slow(er) pace.
>>
I AM THE NIGHT RIDER
>>
File: TC.png (137 KB, 400x199) Image search: [Google]
TC.png
137 KB, 400x199
>>70151579
Its a must watch for the characters and origin story.

Just dont go in expecting a crazy action movie like the others.
>>
I personally didn't really like it. There's constant annoying radio chatter in the background as well as really irritating crow noises all the time and the pacing is really fucked. It's cool to see a 22 year old Mel and what literally inspired the entire Saw series, but as a film its really not good.
>>
How in the everliving FUCK is this one in the same continuity as the others?

The world is not destroyed at all (there's signs that maybe there's no government, but there is a lawyer character who is saying the cops will go to court??) and it seems fairly normal. Then in the rest of them which are direct sequels, there are people growing up in the post-apoc world in scattered tribes (like Furiosa in 4 who is the same age as Max... yet he states in the beginning he was a Cop which is directly referencing Mad Max 1)
>>
>>70151579
the patrician choice
>>
>>70151896
That's what I've been wondering. The consecutive movies have no reason to be under the Mad Max name.
>>
>>70151579
Never seen it all the way through, but as I understand, it's alright. As far as being a Mad Max movie in relation to the other movies, though, it can be ignored.
>>
>>70151896
Society is on the edge of breaking down and the police and the courts are desperately trying to keep it together

That said it's a very loose continuity
>>
>>70151896
Miller doesnt seem to give a fuck about continuity. He just has Max as this folklore legend who goes from place to place.

Id say Max from 1 is real and grounded, the rest deviating from reality further till he's a a stranger attributed to the same persona by the time of Fury Road.
>>
>>70151896
They've always played it pretty fast and loose with continuity between movies. Like that gyro captain who is basically the same guy, but is two completely different characters in 2 and 3.
>>
File: unnamed (5).jpg (48 KB, 500x284) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (5).jpg
48 KB, 500x284
It's almost terrible. It's only worth watching for historical importance with its role in kicking off the franchise and allowing international audiences to take the Aussie film industry more seriously.

Watching it today, time has been unkind to it and it is a snoozefest with terrible pacing.

It is worth noting that a stuntman died in the film and they left the scene in the movie by request of the family. Seeing Mel so young is uncanny as well.

Just take my word for it that The Road Warrior is an enormous improvement and has a brief prologue explaining what happened anyway so you may as well watch that first.
>>
>>70151579
2 is better.
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 640x746) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 640x746
Who was in the right here?
>>
File: lord.jpg (195 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
lord.jpg
195 KB, 600x300
>yfw Humongous is actually Goose from the first movie

Deepest Lore
>>
>>70151896
The story in these movies don't make any sense.

The first three movies had some sort of continuity to them, but Fury Road might as well be a different franchise.

Just watch the Mad Max movies for the action and the stunts. Forget about the story.
>>
>>70152065

nice post

thank you
>>
First Mad Max is one of my favorite films of all time

Road Warrior is great too, but the first one is still my favorite
>>
>>70152151
it wasnt horrible; the kids were annoying but the movie was fun for the modt part. Kind of wish they had the one action scene with vehicles earlier
>>
>>70151896
First is just a cop movie before the 'Happening'

2nd movie is after the 'Happening'
>>
>>70151896
The first is before the nuclear wars. Society still exists, but is quickly going to shit. The films that come later are after the wars, when there isn't government or order anymore. But the continuity is still very loose like others said, with Max being more of legend that stories are based around.
>>
>>70152186
The intro of Fury Road places it in the same continuity of the original, but it was really offputting that Max was getting weird flashbacks of not "saving" people when he literally watches a woman get raped and killed in the Road Warrior and doesn't seem phased by it.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>At the time of the film's release, the American audience had virtually no experience with and therefore very great difficulty understanding dialogue with an Australian accent. That's why Mel Gibson's voice was overdubbed by another actor - to prevent otherwise-certain commercial failure of Mad Max in the US due to Americans' rejection of "unintelligible" characters.
>>
>>70151579
It's okay. I've noticed people on here praise it as pure kino, but it really isn't. Despite low budgets and strange pacing Miller managed to make a decent film and theres a reason it's a classic but it's obvious that Mad Max 2 is the film he wanted to make from the start. Basically an extended prologue showing us why Max is who he is
>>
>>70152389
Why didn't Mel just dub it himself? He doesn't have an Aussie accent he moved there when he was 12.
>>
The Road Warrior is literally one of the most important films of the 20th century. The impact and influence it had on literally anything post-apoc is astounding.
>>
>>70152387
His character in Fury Road is very different from how he is portrayed in the original movies.

I think it was mistake to have included Max's character in Fury Road.

It should have been a movie focused solely on Furiosa's character.
>>
>>70152633
I can't tell if this is bait, or you think the movie shouldnt have been called mad max at all
>>
>>70152603
This. Mad Max is important to the story itself, and the action scene at the end was probably pretty crazy for its time, but it hasn't aged very well. I still love the movie to death, but I can see why someone who's never seen it wouldn't like it.

The Road Warrior, on the other hand, is a fucking masterpiece that shaped like 90% of the post-nuclear apocalypse settings you see in TV and video games. Fallout was essentially Road Warrior: The Game. Wasteland also borrowed from it.

Beyond Thunderdome is kind of shit, but I'm a sucker for Mad Max, so I still watch it from time to time, but it's the "family friendly" Mad Max movie.

Fury Road is the greatest action movie ever made. Full stop.

Bonus post-apocalyptic points: watch A Boy And His Dog. Not an action movie, but still great. It's based on a Harlan Ellison story about an 18 year old kid bopping around the wasteland with a telepathic dog. He protects and feeds the dog, the dog sniffs out women for him. This is the other movie that created Fallout, worth a watch if you like weird, 70s mindfuckery. The part at the end where he goes down into the vault is really unsettling.
>>
>>70151896
>>70151935
>muh continuity

>>70152053
this. the ending of Beyond Thunderdome cements Max as a folklore type legend, a hero who's tales are told to kids at bedtime. I'm really happy they keep each movie self-contained.
>>
File: vault dweller.jpg (133 KB, 385x477) Image search: [Google]
vault dweller.jpg
133 KB, 385x477
>>70153118
>Fallout was essentially Road Warrior: The Game.

It's shameless how much they take from Road Warrior, love it though
>>
>>70153118
Beyond Thunderdome is so fucking lame. It's so painfully "hollywood". Even the costume design is a step down from the Road Warrior. Despite that I still enjoy the first half a bit, but the entire second half is sooooo painful and it seems as if it's from a different movie.
>>
>>70153118
>Fury Road is the greatest action movie ever made. Full stop.
What is Predator?
What is T2?
What is ESB?
What is Raiders of the Lost Ark?
What is Conan the Barbarian?
What is Robocop?
What is First Blood?
What is Hard Boiled?
What is Die Hard?
>>
>>70151707
Agreed
>>
>>70154174
other great action movies that have now been displaced by Fury Road
anon, it's okay, something new is allowed to be legitimately good once in a while, I know tumblrshit and capeshit have made it seem like that's not possible for some while now but believe me it's true.

And on an editing/cinematography front Miller and Seale's approach to directing action made it the only film of last year I saw that truly pushed the envelope for the medium of film. Great stuff.
>>
>>70151579
Opening scene is awesome, rated in the top five of best movie car chases of all time
>>
>>70152518
He does have an Aussie accent, he still has it to a degree
>>
File: MadMax04[1].jpg (127 KB, 450x647) Image search: [Google]
MadMax04[1].jpg
127 KB, 450x647
>>70151579
pure kinography
don't fall for the "road warrior is bigger and betterer" meme
>>
>People on this board actually think the original Mad Max is good
This is why I take the opinions on this board for a grain of salt. It was such a boring, shitty, painfully low budget movie. LITERALLY nothing interesting happens until the last few minutes, and if you go in expecting a post apocalyptic movie well you're out of luck because it doesn't give off that vibe at all. They don't even drive cool cars for fucks sake.
>>
My dad thinks it's the best one
the 2nd one is the most "Mad Max" of the three and most people agree that it's the best
the third is a fun ride, but there's only one car chase and most of characters are annoying
tina turner is great, though
>>
>>70151763
>Just dont go in expecting a crazy action movie like the others
I went in the older Mad Max immediately after watching Fury Road and I gotta admit I was disappointed at first. My opinions really changed after other viewings and I could appreciate the movies for what they were.
>>
>>70155018
hey reddit
>>
>>70152151
The audience. Thunderdome isn't a shit movie and it definitely has his good moments. Nobody will argue that the Thunderdome itself isn't iconic in popular culture. It really takes a drastic low the moment Max gets banished from Bartertown. The movie slows down a lot and the kids are super annoying. The final chase scene is fun but it isn't as good as the one in Road Warrior.

And I hated Max's long hair cut.
>>
>>70155311

Thanks for the compliment, but sorry, no. Did you get downvoted too many times there or something?
>>
>>70155351
>Thunderdome isn't a shit movie

lol
>>
>>70155378
XD
>>
>>70155018
This is pretty much universally accepted though. You got some guys saying its kino just for the laughs of it but everyone knows it's a bad experiment. Only redeeming quality is that it paved the way for the mind blowing sequels. As an experiment it produced the desired results. I'll admit some scenes are good but the rest makes it not worth to bother.
>>
>>70155517
No it's fucking awesome. It barely beats out road warrior for me
>>
>>70155400
nice well-thought out and elaborate post.
>>
>>70151579
Very cool movie

Worth watching
>>
>>70155536
How? I'm genuinely curious. Explain to me how it's better than Road Warrior
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.