[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the 80s the best decade for movies? A lot of people have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6
File: 1431337881355.jpg (586 KB, 1280x1620) Image search: [Google]
1431337881355.jpg
586 KB, 1280x1620
Was the 80s the best decade for movies?

A lot of people have told me 80s movies are based.
>>
No, it was the worst decade for movies. That's why they keep remaking movies from that time. They're still trying to get it right.
>>
maybe the decade after 1985 or 88 was pretty good... I feel like that was a time when budgets were high enough that you got quality products, but the huge blockbuster culture wasn't there yet so you had studios that were satisfied doing well on video/rental. As a result I think you had a lot of experimental properties like the ones in your pic
>>
>>70150919

There's plenty of 80s trash, but its often very charming. The good stuff is very good.

I'm a sucker for anything filmed in 80s New York. I'll sit through junk like Desperately Seeking Susan just to soak up those 80s NY vibes (and prime Madonna). Probably a side effect of watching Ghostbusters too much as a toddler. Time machine when?
>>
>>70151224
Have you seen Times Square?
>>
>>70151262

I'm nearly 30 and I've never been overseas.
>>
File: Classic 80's.png (173 KB, 835x2519) Image search: [Google]
Classic 80's.png
173 KB, 835x2519
>>70150919

yes

with no doubt
>>
>>70151311
I meant the movie. It's a good one if you like '80s New York City.
>>
> Lethal Weapon
> The NeverEnding Story
> The Empire Strikes Back
> Robocop
> Ghostbusters
> ET
> Back to the Future
> Blade Runner
> Aliens
> Beverly Hills Cop
> Gremlins
> The Terminator
> The Thing
> The Karate Kid
> Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
> The Shining
> Scarface
> Coming to America
> The Breakfast Club
>>
>>70150919
Action movies definitely but that's because of the times. Most cities aren't shitty enough to make a good action film anymore. Detroit is still a shitpile though so that's good.
>>
The same decade claims Robocop and Sixteen Candles
>>
>>70151372

Oh, nice, thanks.

Do you know what that accent is that Janine has in Ghostbusters? That horribly nasal accent that I assume is from some district of the state of New York? This is literally music to my dick and I intend to go to this place post-haste to secure a nagging wife.
>>
>>70151319

btw..if you click on the filename

and click again

you will be able to read this in full res.
>>
>>70151474
Brooklyn, I think.
>>
>>70150919
Rocky Horror Picture Show, Alien and The Warriors were released in the 70's.
>>
>>70151586
The Xeno has head ridges, so it is from Aliens (1986)
>>
>>70151474
>This is literally music to my dick and I intend to go to this place post-haste to secure a nagging wife.

That old school New York voice doesn't exist anymore
>>
>Tfw movies got shitty because of piracy
>>
Born in 81, I can hardly even stand watching modern movies
I love 80s movies however.
>>
>>70150919
The 1980's were a great time to be a Conservative in movie watching. Authoritarian Robocops patrolled our streets, American flag boxer short Rockies were punching out Communism, and Chuck Norris was in the Middle East shooting up brownskins.
>>
>>70151659
It does but it's hard to find.
>>
>>70151659

>I will never get muh My Cousin Vinny wife

Fucking kill me right fucking now.
>>
The 70s were the best decade for movies.

However, the 80s is the best decade for fun movies.
>>
>>70150919
The 70s was the best decade for artsy American films, the 80s was the best decade for blockbusters.
>>
would you consider Escape from NY an 80's movie or more of a 70's movie? Considering it's '81
>>
>30s
pre-code and boring films

>40s
bad films and noir

>50s
"classics" and the beginning of the sort of movies we see today.

>60s
bad movies and auteurs

>70s
bad comedies and "auteurs"

>80s
uhh

>90s
oscar-bait and romcoms

40s to 70s had orson welles th o so
>>
>>70151936
>uhh
uhh what you faggot

>>90s
>oscar-bait and romcoms

You forgot "family friendly action movies" this was the era when both Stallone and Arnold tried to go the family friendly road, while Van Damme and Segal did the traditional action flicks
>>
>>70151936
>uhh
Seriously? Everyone knows the 80s was the age of action, fantasy and horror.
>>
>>70151982
yea you'll notice i forgot a lot of stuff. still, i dont think thats big enough to make it on the chart
>>
>>70150994
badum tisss
>>
>>70152109
yea yr right i didnt think it thru

>80s
action and indie films
>>
File: disgust.png (471 KB, 551x550) Image search: [Google]
disgust.png
471 KB, 551x550
>>70151936
>implying 70s auteurs weren't genuine
>implying 50s classics are shit
>>
>>70152281
i implied both of those things ya
>>
Honestly, I think that the 40s, 50s, and 70s were the best decades for movies that were actually good and had some sort of deeper meaning to them.
The 80s was good at making enjoyable action movies and rom coms.
>>
>>70151936
You missed a ton of important stuff.

>70s
classic horror movies and the beginning of blockbusters
>80s
action movies and blockbusters conquer the movie industry
>90s
thrillers
>>
>>70150919
It was the best decade for blockbusters.
>>70151586
So?
>>70151838
>The 70s were the best decade for movies.
New Hollywood is most overrated shit in film history.
>>
>>70152353
Honestly, I think that the 30s, 40s, and 60s were the best decades for movies that were actually good and had some sort of deeper meaning to them.

Honestly, I think that the 50s, 60s, and 80s were the best decades for movies that were actually good and had some sort of deeper meaning to them.

Honestly, I think that the 60s, 70s, and 90s were the best decades for movies that were actually good and had some sort of deeper meaning to them.

yknow?
>>
>>70152316
I'm disgusted by your shit taste, senpai.
>>
I do alao think that the 80s marked a widespread surge in people viewingviewing pop culture as far more important than ever. The 80s are an easily romanticizable time period, just got outta Nam, the economy was doing just fine, there were less racial tensions, etc.
>>
>>70152397
ya no shit i missed stuff

>>70152411
no golden age hollywood is the overrated one bruh bruh
>>
>>70152433
me too really, its all in fun tell the truth
>>
>>70152417
Well this was a pretty reddit post. Why'd you make it?
>>
>>70152503
dunno. make a point?
>>
>>70152467
way I see it, many movies, action in particular- were basically a reaction to Vietnam. most of them were buff macho US Soldiers winning vietnam proxies. Hell, First Blood is all about nam.

makes me wonder, if the shit in the middle east ever calms down to a level where the US doesnt need to be there or think about it anymore, will we get a resurgence of that kind of thing? suddenly action movies in Iraq proxies?

The original iron man seemed to have shades of that- Modernizing Tony Stark from getting his shrapnel in Vietnam to getting it from an IED in the middle east and all that terrorist stuff that plays into a big chunk of the movie
>>
can we all admit movies were better when the amount of money involved was much less?
>>
>>70152578
lmao no
>>
>>70152470
>no golden age hollywood is the overrated one bruh bruh
Maybe with old fogies, but they've been thinning out for a while. Lots of people revere New Hollywood as some kind of artistic peak in American filmmaking, from the baby boomers to the impressionable younglings of /tv/.
>>
>>70152578
Hollywood has always made risky big budget stuff but lately it has gotten pretty out of hand. It seems like every blockbuster now has to make a billion to be considered a big success.
>>
>>70152568
nam was an anomaly im afraid
>>
80's had the best blockbusters and a thriving market for independent films (not indiewood bullshit). It was the best decade for American films.
>>
>>70152651
because they spend the same amount on advertising as they do on production
>>
what decade produced the most movies? 40s? then 40s was the best
>>
>>70152627
But it was the artistic peak of American filmmaking. Ever since New Hollywood came crashing down Hollywood has been ruled by blockbusters. I enjoy some blockbusters but they don't have any artistic credibility.
>>
>>70152716
in what way though? The "War on Terror" is basically Vietnam 2.0: Desert Storm Edition
>>
>>70152781
>But it was the artistic peak of American filmmaking.
Nah, they were just self important and more obvious with their artistic intentions.
>I enjoy some blockbusters but they don't have any artistic credibility
What non-sense.
>>
>>70152814
the war on terror affects us all anon.
>>
>>70152551
What point? That you use reddit?
>>
>>70152883
Do you seriously think that blockbusters are art?
>>
>>70152814
besides theres no draft

>>70152883
u think modern blockbusters have artistic weight?
>>
Those horror movies, bro.
>>
>>70152627
>>70152883
If New Hollywood was bullshit then name the true peak of artistic American filmmaking.
>>
>>70152917
that u can say that abt any decade & just my opinion but yr leaning too heavily on the reddit thing
>>
>>70152929
Yes. Art is not a qualitative word though. Corky Romano is art.
>>
>>70152916
This is a meme, right? I hope it's a meme. It's literally pointless nonsense that can be equated to "The US wants to exert its power on lesser nations to establish its dominance".
>>
>>70152975
Who the fuck is Corky Romano?
>>
>>70152970
You can't say that about any decade though. Kys.
Also,
>that typing style
I see. You weren't reddit. You were tumblr.
>>
>>70152940
>u think modern blockbusters have artistic weight?
It's such a broad word, but of course there are blockbusters which are of equal or greater artistic merit as those bloated, self important New Hollywood relics.
>>70152961
I did.
See:
>>70152738
>>
Lol no, were the 50'
>>
>>70152988
Nigger we uncorked pandora's bottle when we toppled Saddam adn now we HAVE to be there or radical Muslim groups take over. the funny thing about despots like Saddam being- that they actually keep the region in check, because violence is all those people understand.

so now we have to prevent groups like Al Qaeda and ISIS from gaining control of places, while dealing with the fact that Saudi Arabia is now the most powerful ideological force in the region and exerts that power, by exporting it's ultra conservative brand of the religion worldwide.

there is no way out. And that affects everyone here. why do you think the country drifted so far left? As a reaction to the Iraq War and the conservative administration that presided over both it, and a terrible economic decline.
>>
>>70152988
lmao okk michael moore

>>70153020
yeah, u can. why do you think no one replied.

>>70153053
really?
>>
>>70153019
obscure short film from the 20s
>>
>>70153132
>really
Good reply.
>>
>>70153177
o sorry i mean
rly?
>>
File: Mondo Cane (1).jpg (163 KB, 636x434) Image search: [Google]
Mondo Cane (1).jpg
163 KB, 636x434
50-70's Italian cinema is my favorite, 60's Italian is the pinnacle of cinema imo
I love everything about it, the politics, the exploitation, the arthouse, the comedies. American cinema just seems bland by comparison.

40-60's Japanese cinema
then 70's Hollywood, which had a strong Italian flavor
40-50's Hollywood
40-60's French cinema

Listing one film per essential filmmaker, google names if you want more

Arthouse masters:
Pasolini: Mamma Roma
Fellini: 8½
Visconti: The Leopard
Antonioni: L'avventura
Bertolucci: The Conformist

Comedies:
Risi: The Monsters
Monicelli: Big Deal on Madonna Street
Scola: We All Loved Each Other So Much
Germi: The Birds, the Bees and the Italians

Politics/society:
Rosi: Hands Over The City
Petri: Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion
Pontecorvo: The Battle of Algiers
Ferreri: La Grande Bouffe
Jacopetti: Mondo Cane

Crime/poliziottesco:
Lizzani: Bandits in Milan
Castellari: The Big Racket
Di Leo: Caliber 9

Westerns:
Leone: Fistful of Dollars
Corbucci: The Great Silence
Sollima: Face to Face
Petroni: Death Rides a Horse
Valerii: Day of Anger

Scifi:
Barbarella
Planet of the Vampires

Horror:
Bava: Black Sunday
Argento: Suspiria
Fulci: A Lizard in a Woman's Skin
Bazzoni: The Fifth Cord
Martino: Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key
>>
>>70150919

The 70s saved the movie industry and the blockbuster era was born.
>>
>>70150919
i'm obsessed with 80's movies. action, highschool, horror, just all of it. i can't even describe why i love the 8so much, just the way things looked, the attitude, the women, cars, music can someone tell me why i love it so much?
>>
>>70153598
it's comfy and reminds you of your carefree childhood
>>
File: file.png (639 KB, 629x944) Image search: [Google]
file.png
639 KB, 629x944
Last best old school sci fi film
>>
I'd say it was the 'funnest' decade for movies, easily.

And a lot of really great stuff did come out then. It was a good time for genre flicks, especially.
>>
>>70155042
I mean, summer '82 you had the choice of seeing:

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan
Conan the Barbarian
The Thing
Blade
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

and also that year:
Poltergeist
Tron
The Secret of NIMH
The Dark Crystal
Creepshow
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

just total top-tier genre. compare that to the any summer/year of the last 20 years.
>>
>>70155335
derp

Blade *Runner
>>
>>70151378
>aliens
Now you done it.
shitstorm initiated
>>
File: flesh+bloodposter.jpg (240 KB, 831x1600) Image search: [Google]
flesh+bloodposter.jpg
240 KB, 831x1600
>>70150919
There will never be another brutally realistic medieval movie with a big budget again.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.