[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>80s movie >bad guys are Germans how did this trend start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: Tony_-_Profile.png (1 MB, 799x799) Image search: [Google]
Tony_-_Profile.png
1 MB, 799x799
>80s movie
>bad guys are Germans
how did this trend start and why?
>>
>>70141703
WW1, the death of Kaiser Wilhelm.
>>
>>70141703
Soviets was too close to real life
It was just far away from ww2 that Germans could be the antagonists in mindless action movies
>>
>>70141703
Were there any other action movies with German antagonists besides Die Hard?
>>
>how did this trend start

real life, the 20th century
>>
>>70141802
Die Hard zwei und drei ?
>>
>>70141703
Yeah but that's a fucking lie

Russians were the most popular 80's cannon fodder
>>
I'm guessing soviet eastern Germany
>>
World war 2
>>
>>70141771
This, Russians were too obvious. Germans will forever have the legacy of being history's villains
>>
>>70141703
two entire world wars
>>
>>70141771
>>70141946
Did you guys actually watch the movie? The German terrorists were trying to steal stock bonds, a Soviet Terrorist wouldn't do that
>>
anyone else sad there's no good villains anymore? America beat all its enemies. Arabs, Russians or North Koreans being portrayed as capable of threatening America or the world is laughable nowadays
>>
>>70141980
No, he was asking after the jewish persecution.
>>
>>70141703

Because people didnt give a shit about the holocaust anymore, so Hollywood did us a favor by reminding us of the 6 gorillion dead hebrews and the lampshades.
>>
>>70141703
beats me, goy
>>
>>70142046
>America beat all its enemies
China has a big surprise for you
>>
>>70142096
true I guess, but Hollywood has a huge market there, so China can't be portrayed as the villains
>>
>>70141703
it started with die hard. the enemies weren't dumb niggers but classy europeans with complex plans.
why germans? because burgers are retards who still, to this day, grasp to ww2 stereotypes. germans are supposed to be smart but evil and cold types. so they were a perfect fit for that new kind of bad guy.
>>
>>70142096
>3 times our population
>half our GDP
>heading for a huge recession, possible depression
Let's just say I'm not going to be learning Chinese anytime soon, Ping-Pong
>>
>>70142173
China has most of our loans, theres gonna come a point in our lifetimes were the mutual benefit from our relationship will tip to favor one side, and I sure as hell hope the US does something to prevent it from tipping over to China
>>
>>70142173
>>3 times our population
try 5
>>
>>70142274
nope, they have only like 8% of the debt, rest of the debt is in the hands of good ol' Americans
>>
>>70142051
you don't just forget about two world wars. also it's in the german nature to ruin europe. See Merkel's germany ruining the EU today.
>>
>>70142274
How is this "china owns most of america's debt" meme still going? The majority of the debt is owed domestically.
>>
>>70142401
China sold the useless shit back for useful gold.
>>
>>70141703
>>how did this trend start and why?

hey op, did you know that germany was split between two different countries at one point during the late 20th century?
>>
>>70142401
Because 80 years of anti-German/Soviet propaganda made a lot of Americans think everyone is out to get them and they easily bought into China being our next enemy
>>
>>70142096
China isn't our enemy. Only our rival that we're in a symbiotic relationship with.

They really should be able to use Muslim extremists as enemies as long as they show that not all of them are like that. It would actually be good because it would decrease fear and prejudice against Muslims in general.
>>
That was the whole point of them as the villains, people are lead to think they're some sort of terrorist group with an agenda and they even play it up with their list of prisoner list demands but it's all a smokescreen, they're just some crooks out to steal money and their background is meaningless

Fun fact; In the German dub of the movie, the German terrorists were given English names, for example Hans Gruber became "Jack Gruber", Karl became Charlie, Heinrich became Henry etc. In the scene where McClane writes down the names Hans and Karl on his forearm, we hear him say. "I'm gonna call you Hans and Karl, just like the 2 evil giants in the fairy tale." Later on, he still refers to them as Jack and Charlie.
>>
>>70143200
This is retarded
>>
File: Laughing redcoat.png (402 KB, 807x547) Image search: [Google]
Laughing redcoat.png
402 KB, 807x547
>>70141703
Because German's are the natural enemy to the free people of the world.
>>
>>70141703
Because they were our main enemies in the cold war you retard.
>>
>>70143200
angloface

i really don't know what to think about that
>>
>>70141703
People miss hitler
>>
File: ellis.jpg (32 KB, 570x284) Image search: [Google]
ellis.jpg
32 KB, 570x284
HANS
BOOBY
>>
J E W S
>>
did hans shoot ellis cuz he was a nazi and eliis was a jew?
>>
I wonder when they're going to remake Die Hard with McClane as a black guy.
>>
>>70141703

Europe wasn't the powerhouse they are now, esp. germany. In the 80's, Europe was considered a good place to vacation for americans due to the dollar being much stronger than the various euro currencies.
>>
>>70141703
Thanks to the cold war going on, Hollywood couldn't really get Russian actors so the settled on getting West Germans actors who pretended to be East Germans
>>
>>70141703
Saudis fund Hollywood productions and donate to actors charities
>>
>>70146769
would Carl Winslow still be black?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.