[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that the dust has settled
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: A Trip to the Moon (1902).jpg (294 KB, 2000x1297) Image search: [Google]
A Trip to the Moon (1902).jpg
294 KB, 2000x1297
Was it any good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrdVdKlxUk
>>
Main astronomer was a gary stu
>>
Not enough beheadings/decapitations compared to Méliès' other films. Couldn't hold my interest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcYUWwk6CZo
>>
Literally erddit
>>
>>70097927
It was ok

>>70098782
This
>>
Toniiiiiight
>>
File: 123.png (116 KB, 216x271) Image search: [Google]
123.png
116 KB, 216x271
>mfw picturing the starbucks drinking reddit millennials who pretend to be impressed by this oudated flick

There are like 3 films from the 50s worth watching and any decade before that is worthless today outside of academic study.
>>
>>70099406
Dumb Frogposter.
>>
It's impossible for anyone on this board to give an analysis on something that old.

It was historically significant to filmmaking, there are a few things that look cool/interesting like the set and art designs, but as to whether it was "good" or not can't be answered. If you like it then great, if you hate it then that's okay too. I just think as long as you can see the value and validity that short films like this brought to the medium to what it is today then you're in the same boat as every top film critic or academic.
>>
Too many cisgendered characters and not a single pansexual. Utter cringe. This would never get made today and I'm glad those days are behind us.
>>
>>70099602
Exactly, this is like asking if the first time a man made a spear , was it "good"? No, it was probably a shitty spear compared to all spears that came after. What was "good" was the innovation of putting your pointy rock on a long stick so you could stab animals from farther away.
>>
>>70099602
>>70100154
You are both wrong. The film can still be judged for its formal qualities.
>>
>>70099602
>the medium
Can someone explain to me the meaning of this word in this context? Not the first time I see it.
>>
>>70100630
A thing that is used to convey information. In this case, film.
>>
Smashing Pumpkins version is better.
>>
>>70100198
true. i said i liked the art direction, set design, and the frame composition in SOME of the scenes isn't bad either.

but the acting sucks, there are frequent jump cuts, and more. but a lot of these have to do with the times.

you can't ignore formal qualities but you can't ignore context either.

that being said, i still think the framing, creativity, and music matching the scenes is great and that this overall is a good film. but i'm not going to pretend that i am an expert on early 20th century cinema because i'm no scholar, and frankly, there is NOTHING to be said or contributed to the dialogue about these old films that hasn't been already.
>>
>>70100733
still confusing
>>
Calm down OP, the dust hasn't settled yet
>>
>>70097927
I loved this movie.

Badass wizard swatting aliens into dust in fights that resemble dance offs. What's not to love?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.