[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Over the top campy movies, that are really great. I'll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Evil_Dead_II_poster.jpg (16 KB, 248x381) Image search: [Google]
Evil_Dead_II_poster.jpg
16 KB, 248x381
ITT: Over the top campy movies, that are really great.

I'll start with the obvious one.
>>
>>69881251
Hobo With A Shotgun.
>>
File: Hackers.1995 (1).webm (1 MB, 1272x544) Image search: [Google]
Hackers.1995 (1).webm
1 MB, 1272x544
Hackers
>>
>>69881251
All three Raimi-Mans
>>
Kids these days don't understand what camp is. Just because a film doesn't employ realism or quipcore, doesn't make it camp.
>>
>>69883001
You aren't giving a definition yourself because you're scared we'll make fun of you. Pretty pathetic desu.
>>
>>69881698
if hacking was like this movie and not boring and tedious like in real life i would do it more often
>>
>>69883085
Camp - unfunny faggoty shit for drama club queers
>>
>>69881251
>evil dead 2
>really great
>>
>>69883151
2/10 made me reply
>>
>>69883001
I don't understand the point of this post. Camp is self-aware cheesiness, tongue-in-cheek silliness. Everything posted in this thread except Spider-man fits the bill
>>
Evil Dead 2 is about as camp as an episode of Three Stooges. It's not.
>>
>>69883254
>Camp is self-aware cheesiness
Nope. Doesn't have to be self aware. And cheesy is very subjective. Again, anything that isn't Nolanesque realism or a blockbuster sitcom is cheesy to you dumb kids.
>tongue-in-cheek silliness
Really broad definition. Is Airplane! camp then too?
>Everything posted in this thread except Spider-man fits the bill
Spiderman comes closer than the other choices actually.

Camp involves a certain kind of heightened, melodramatic performances, the sort you'd find in Valley of the Dolls or Rocky Horror. It's not just any ol' tongue in cheek zany/screwball comedy.
>>
>>69883591
>Nope. Doesn't have to be self-aware
>Camp involves a certain kind of heightened, melodramatic performances, the sort you'd find in Valley of the Dolls or Rocky Horror.
Debatable. There are many different but related ideas of what "camp" is, and what you perceive as "campy" isn't definitive. There is no consensus.
>>
Killer Klowns From Outerspace
The Voices
Tremors
Slither
Flash Gordon
Big Trouble in Little China
>>
>>69883789
Fair enough. But the point remains - kids label anything pre-2004 as camp.

Camp is for faggots.
>>69883839
Here's some camp. Except for Big Trouble. Not sure why that's on there.
>>
>>69884092
>Except for Big Trouble. Not sure why that's on there

Big Trouble in Little China is pure camp.
>>
By the way, since there is no agreed upon definition of camp, here are my all time favorite camp films:
A Clockwork Orange
There Will Be Blood
Grown Ups 2
The Godfather
Lili
The complete works of Stan Brakhage

They're just so... camp! Golly, shucks, I'm gonna buttfuck Chris Kattan ironically.
>>
>itt: autistic film-school students thinking anyone cares about strict definitions so their degree doesn't feel 100% useless
>>
>>69884297
How? It has elements of comedy, action and adventure, but camp? Maybe, but not enough to classify it as such. If that's the case, the Indiana Jones films are camp too. Where do you draw the line?
>>
>>69884489
No, it's just an old fogey who remembers fondly the days when words actually meant something and everyone wasn't a camp-loving homosexual.
>>
>>69884568
Big Trouble has over the top acting, ridiculous story, one-liners, it has everything that defines camp and more.
That doesn't make it a bad movie. In fact, its one of my favorite movies.
>>
>>69884701
>Big Trouble has over the top acting, ridiculous story, one-liners, it has everything that defines camp and more.
So do the Indiana Jones movies. So the Avengers.

Avengers is so camp!

Although, kidding aside, Temple of Doom is pretty campy at parts.
>>
>>69884847
Indiana Jones acting isn't really "over the top".
Not the way people classically think of camp. Not like anything Sam Raimi has ever made, or 60s Batman.
>>
/tv/ is the only board where people derail a thread because of a word this quickly
>>
>>69884941
Then Big Trouble isn't camp either.
>>
>>69885063
Thread didn't need to be derailed. It was going nowhere. What possible discussion could have arose from such a broad framework?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.