[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Avatar Dilemma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: Mistake.png (2 MB, 1200x810) Image search: [Google]
Mistake.png
2 MB, 1200x810
Do you really think Cameron was right to throw away 10+ years of his life, dedicating it all to these Avatar sequels?

It would have been fine if he had made one sequel but FOUR? All being over 3 hours I would believe.

I am sure he knows that 3D is practically dead, however he is going to find a way to amaze us 4 times and making sure that it doesn't go down the Pirates of the Caribbean/Matrix sequel formula.

I highly doubt Sam Worthington's character will be the lead for all 5 films. Probably some over leads will come in half way (something I am not interested in - and I bet you it is going to become the sci fi version of the Matrix's Zion).

I would have way preferred him to create another R rated thriller film instead of these PG 13 gimmicks.
>>
>>69850377
make it a tv show
>>
>>69850451
Someone probably will after all these movies come out

>sigh
>>
>>69850377
There really aren't any limitations that aren't self-imposed when it comes to what he could do with Avatar. Perhaps focus more on the story this time? New aliens? Who knows.

Though I'd take 4 stand-alone independent movies over this any day
>>
>>69850467
">sigh"
where the fuck do you even come from?
>>
File: Otoh_Gunga.png (2 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Otoh_Gunga.png
2 MB, 1920x816
>>69850482
Well the story for the second film is that it will be mostly set underwater so looks like they will uncover some other type of intelligent life form that exists underwater on Pandora.

>inb4 the Phantom Menace Gungans city
>>
>Space Pochahontas a 3d experience with multi-cam functionality
>Space Pochahontas a multi-3d experience with smell-o-vision 3.0
>Space Pochahontas a multi-directional-olfactory experience with audience polled neurofeedback multiplexed artificial-interactive narrative
Can never run out of gimmicks, just the desire to retell the same plot repeatedly with newer technology.
>>
>>69850377
I've said this before and I'll say it again, he hasn't made a good film since Terminator 2. It's such a fucking crime that he'd spend his twilight years producing this absolute twaddle. I'd love for him to tackle some sci-fi, but goddamn, not more Avatar.
>>
File: avatar 3.jpg (87 KB, 537x618) Image search: [Google]
87 KB, 537x618
>>69850377

Cameron has been waiting for the next gimmick to hide his movies under.

oh look whats just coming out, the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset. and IMAX VR theaters.

coincidence? I think not.
>>
>it's a bleak apocalyptic film about the human military returning to Pandora in overwhelming force and waging a brutal campaign against Na'vi insurgents in the burning wreckage of their forests

>the third one is about growing up on a Na'vi reservation decades later, with no future and only fragments of a cultural identity to cling to
>>
>>69850377
The capeshit universe showed him that he can just release the same thing over and over again every year and people will still eat it up, so he is doing just that. Plus it will probably be cheaper to produce four sequels at the same time than create four separate movies. So in terms of maximizing potential profit, what he is doing makes sense.
>>
You just know that deep down he realises that Avatar's box office is meaningless in the long run and he'll never replicate the cultural impact of Terminator.
>>
>>69851063
Fuck the Na'vi, let's see Avatar tech used to drop earthers into other different alien races. Or to replace important humans for a coup. There are a million ways it could be spun. James Cameron has an entire cinematic universe on his hands. You lot aren't seeing the big picture. Avatar will be around for at least 20 more movies.
>>
>>69850377
The one good thing that will come out of this is I will be able to see the original Avatar in 3D in the cinema which I didn't bother to do when it came out.

Also will we see the blues attack earth at some point?
>>
>>69851223

James is 62 years old. he'll be dead within 10 years and his brain is starting to rot. this is it for him .. 3 more Avatars and then death.
>>
>>69851106
Why does everyone think if he makes four Avatar movies, it will be the same movie every time?
>>
File: James_of_Nazareth2.jpg (503 KB, 948x1024) Image search: [Google]
James_of_Nazareth2.jpg
503 KB, 948x1024
>>69850377
>>69850966
>>69851016
>>69851106
Hey reddit!
>>
>>69851348

it will be the same movie just in a different location.

>>
>>69851348
Because planetary romance is a genre for the creativity impaired. If you're the sort to simply take a romantic tale of old and then shove it into space, you're clearly not a font of originality.
>>
Avatar sequels are being shot in 8k resolution and 60 frames per second, but they arent being filmed in 360 Virtual Reality.
>>
>>69851413
>>69851452
It could go any way.

Avatar 2 = Monster movie (sort of the Abyss + Jaws)
Avatar 3 = Disaster movie (Titanic)
Avatar 5 = Back to Avatar 1 style
>>
most Directors once they hit the aae of 60 just go to shit and lose their marbles. kinda sad that its happening to Ridley Scott and James Cameron at the same time.
>>
>>69851812
>Ridley Scott went senile lmao
There's that meme again.
>>
>>69851812
Ridley Scott is 85, he can get senile.
>>
>>69850377

Problem is that as soon as Titanic and Avatar made the money they did, he has to make gaint grossers now.

Afterall he is based Jim, he has to make crowd pleasing epics that will make $2 billion minimum.

I predict from now Jim will only make blockbuster epics.

How do I know?

1. He cares about box office
2. He needs money for his projects when he isn't filmmaking
3. He is a man.
4. He gave away his passion project Battle Angel to another director, he is still producing though.
>>
>>69851369
>everytime someone hates Cameron's blueshit they are called reddit
This meme has to fucking die.

You cannot be serious that /tv/ defends PG 13 gimmicks?

If thats the case, you love the prequels to death
>>
>>69851413
>Avatar 4 on earth as a group of the blue aliens decide to kill all humans
That would be actually really amazing.
>>
avatar 4 will be in full VR ofcourse
>>
>>69851996
>1. He cares about box office

wrong. Cameron made all of his $300 million from Avatar from home sales, rentals and streaming. he didnt make a penny from the box office because the Studio screwed him over.
>>
>>69852134
HAHAHAHAHA this is the most biggest bait ever
>>
>>69852134

Why did you quote that one?

That one mean he cares about the gross being higher than the number of other films. Also the highest grossing film of all time.

He does care about this, afterall when people think of James Cameron they think Titanic and Avatar. The highest grossing films of all time.
>>
>>69850966
agreed mostly. titanic wasnt bad and is kinda underrated by filmlovers (but obv overrated by normies) but its not really actively good either

real fucking shame, i wish i understood what happened to him.. maybe he just didn't have many stories to (re)tell to begin with?

its sad that hes actually less talented than most of his ex-wives though
>>
>>69851875
>>69851812

Ridley Scott literally just had a movie winning awards all over the place.
>>
File: James_of_Nazareth.jpg (119 KB, 800x986) Image search: [Google]
James_of_Nazareth.jpg
119 KB, 800x986
>>69852043
No I don't like the prequels

Anyways >>>/r/eddit
>>
Why do all great directors turn into such hacks when they get older?
>>
>>69850377
He is going for natural 3D for the sequels which requires turmendous amount times & efforts. "10 years" is sounds too much but it may not be enough, considering how much work need to be done. Y'know the most scary thing, it's the time race with the trend that those efforts may not be the thing by the time it comes out if he loses. But it sets the bar higher for the industry like last he did with the Avator, the original.
>>
>>69850377
I like how everyone always questions James Cameron. It's fucking amazing that this still happens unironically.
>>
>>69853249
Cameron should remake the prequels.

I would watch that
>>
I wouldn't bet against Cameron

He outgrossed Star Wars with a new IP

Also, 4 well planned sequels shot back to back probably don't cost much more than 2 standalone big budget movies
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.