[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it popular to be afraid of clowns ? (And by extension
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (305 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
image.png
305 KB, 500x281
Why is it popular to be afraid of clowns ? (And by extension "IT")

How did this come about?
>>
Visually they're almost not quite human, and combine that with the fact that when in character they're always constantly happy/goofy and there's something unsettling or sinister about them. John Wayne Gacy probably didn't help either.
>>
>>69797870
Clowns are legit creepy. If you ever actually get the chance to see a real old fashioned circus act with clowns you'd realize that a they're like big retards with retard strength and everything. They're just painted up roadies running around acting like idiots.
>>
John Wayne Gacy
>>
File: 1293752234963.jpg (95 KB, 521x448) Image search: [Google]
1293752234963.jpg
95 KB, 521x448
Have you ever seen a clown in person up close?
>>
>>69797870

It comes from understanding what makes something scary. The scariest thing there is as a perversion of the normal. When something is recognizable enough to be understood but off enough to be unsettling. The more of ourselves we can see in this the worse. Clowns have that slightly off and unknown element that makes them scary cause they look like us and not. They walk like us but usually not, ect.
>>
>>69797870

Clowns are a meme fear
>>
IT took the form of Pennywise because he preyed on children. He's wacky, funny, and amusing. Kids eat that shit up and then he eats them up.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vBJt1iG60
>>
>>69798322
I used to think that too, but now I definitely think there's something there. Like the other anon said, there's a certain unnatural element to them, in the makeup and manic characterization. Like real life uncanny valley shit.
>>
>>69797870
Uncanny valley applied to actual people.
>>
>>69798322
This too. I never understood it and I always liked clowns. Most kids who are scared of clowns watched IT or have been googling pictures of scary clowns. It is a legit phobia for some people, but it has increased a lot due to a negative perception of clowns in media and pop culture.
>>
dunno f a m

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asm62bKZJHI
>>
>>69798004
>>69798175
What's wrong with based John Wayne?
>>
>>69800961
He was a faggot
>>
>>69802197
I think clowns are hilarious when they're just doing their thing near people with clown phobias.
>>
>>69800839
Fuck you it was creepy at first, then that nose drop happened.
>>
File: He is the one who honks.gif (2 MB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
He is the one who honks.gif
2 MB, 1000x563
>>69797870
>>
Well let me try to give some insight on this. I don't particularly consider myself uneasy around clowns or whatever. But I would say that if I walked into a room seeing a clown unexpectedly (be it a prank or otherwise) i'd be about 10x's more terrified if it was something like someone dressed as a zombie or Frankenstein's monster or something similar.

'cause i'd know some night of the living dead shit was fake right off the bat, but i wouldn't be immediately self-convinced that a sneaky fucker dressed as a clown wasn't a legitimate psychopath
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.